[Mega] An Ancient Journey of Redemption

Replies

• Olddumper wrote: »
    Seems pretty clear to me, I don't know what you all are confused about. The timing for THIS event not only encourages spending NOW but in the FUTURE as well.

Buyers should get something for their money. It's okay if you do not buy into the exclusive access club. We get our access next time.

If you don't want to be left behind in the future, you can be more proactive with new characters when they are released.

This is just fundamentally wrong. The event does not encourage spending now most casual spenders are probably 5 or 6 vaults away from unlock. So they are going to skip this event and farm these toons using about 30k crystals instead of panic farming them with 70k in crystals plus more for gear if the event is hard. That 40k crystals will stick in their pockets so for the next event they wont need to spend either. They are messing up this event and the next subsequent event until those crystals run off.

It's not for casual spenders. It's for those that want to buy exclusive access. If it isn't worth it to you, don't buy it. Simple.

I probably could have bought in for 4 vaults and i did almost nothing beyond the marquees. But I ain't gonna.
  • Can we get the kit reveal soon? As CLS and JTR came out 8 days before their event
  • No_Try wrote: »
    TrowaJedi wrote: »
    Multiple MMOs I started playing for what now 18 years. UO monthly sub, SWG monthly sub, LOTRO, SWTOR, etc, even WoW I believe was only a monthly sub. Sorry but if you want to compare a 10-20 monthly sub to what whales pay on here you are completely lost. Yes I paid monthly in those but everything was available to any player that did as well the moment it hit the game. The difference there was the argument between raiding players and non-raiding who complained the items were hidden behind a raid wall. But in those games there was times I did not raid and did not need any raid gear to be competitive in PvE or PvP. Big difference again in a small monthly sub and dropping 300-500 in panic farming to get an in game item.

And for the record when LOTRO came out in 07 they offered a life time subscription(just $99) so I purchased it and since never paid a dime and got every item the moment it came out. They did a few years back offer was to purchase items with real money but no end game gear.

Ok, First off, I wasn't talking differences in amounts. I was talking difference between P2P and F2P. Second, trying to compare prices from one game to another makes no sense, especially considering you are talking about a game from over a decade ago. A lot of games now have a subscription and F2P option and also have in game purchases you can make with real money that adds up to the amounts you are talking about. It all depends on the style. Third, my entire argument has been about those who are upset because they can't spend $50 to $100 and get him right now.

Why would someone release a product that they know a vast majority of people are going to want and then put a $100 price tag on it when they know they can get $300-$500? This is really at this point getting counter productive. Originally I just wanted to point out that there is so much complaining over not getting enough notice or it costing to much and when you hear that enough it just sounds like greed from the player base. But this is really not that different from the way CLS or JTR was released. Granted, this is a more expensive farm if you want to get him first time, but notice time wise, that hasn't really changed.

It seems to me that everyone wants to know when and what is being release 2-3 months in advance. Its already been explained that can be difficult as bugs may cause delays and then we would have people upset that we were told we'd get something in 2-3 months and we spent time farming for it, and then we have to wait another 1-2 months.

What changed in gaming between a decade ago and now? Has the games become dramatically better that they now deserve far more investment than the initial subscription based model MMOs had?

No. In fact, games have become dramatically worse because of 1. mobile and 2. developers have learned how to monetize human weakness with the unethical freemium model.

Think of how incredibly deep games of the past have been in comparison to something like swgoh. This game has one of the most valuable IP possible, but if you really think about it, is the game play any good? 95% of your time spent in game is spent clicking "sim", "auto", or "join" and hoping 3 cherries come up on the same line. There is no story. The combat mechanics are basically an incredibly dumbed-down version of a turn base rpg without any depth of strategy. Gear is linear and not used in any strategic way. There is no pvp (unless you count clock blocking in pvAI arenas as pvp, which I do not.) In the three years since the game has been around, only 3 raids, a fleet arena, TB and TW have been released as playable "content". Most of that "content" uses the same 5 toon core code with minimal changes, and ranges from fun for awhile (raids) to paint dry boring (TB) and unimaginative. Given that the game has raked in around half a billion in revenue, you would have hoped that some of it would be reinvested in the game to create new and interesting content so a player could have a fun experience that wasn't entirely dictated by set times. That is not the case, as apparently EA is happy to pass off monetizing new toons as "content" while those of us who love Star Wars just sit and suffer.

Uhm......With the epic criticism, why are you here? Why is the game even installed on your device? Why are you spending personal time on the forum posting a long diatribe of how much you hate the game? Seems like you spent a good deal of time writing this so I can appreciate the effort, but who hurt you so bad that you felt the need to shout to the world?

As someone who has been a Detroit Lions fan, I am used to years of disappointment and the promise of good things to come in the future...only to be let down by the reality of mediocrity.

With that being said, why are you not "SWGOH free" at this point?

This player is here because they choose to be, it is annoying trolls like yourself that dont belong.
    Seems pretty clear to me, I don't know what you all are confused about. The timing for THIS event not only encourages spending NOW but in the FUTURE as well.

Buyers should get something for their money. It's okay if you do not buy into the exclusive access club. We get our access next time.

If you don't want to be left behind in the future, you can be more proactive with new characters when they are released.

This is just fundamentally wrong. The event does not encourage spending now most casual spenders are probably 5 or 6 vaults away from unlock. So they are going to skip this event and farm these toons using about 30k crystals instead of panic farming them with 70k in crystals plus more for gear if the event is hard. That 40k crystals will stick in their pockets so for the next event they wont need to spend either. They are messing up this event and the next subsequent event until those crystals run off.

It's not for casual spenders. It's for those that want to buy exclusive access. If it isn't worth it to you, don't buy it. Simple.

I probably could have bought in for 4 vaults and i did almost nothing beyond the marquees. But I ain't gonna.

Well, whales already have them anyways. Many people might be on the edge of spending but do not because they don't know if the investment would be worth it. This means EA/CG does lose potential income.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Cossin wrote: »
    Olddumper wrote: »

Well, whales already have them anyways. Many people might be on the edge of spending but do not because they don't know if the investment would be worth it. This means EA/CG does lose potential income.

I thought so as well, but the evidence so far suggests otherwise.

nwsmzihii085.png

nwsmzihii085.png

This isn’t evidence. It’s a small sample size of overly involved people in this game. 200 people is a fraction of a fraction of who play this game
  • Refunds? The complaining is unstoppable..... your mad cuz you can’t have!! Throw a fit like a child, look dumb. Great job EA and CG for thinking of an idea that can add more diversity to the game, something beyond the endless Treya vs Treya daily grind. I hope he’s OP, and I hope all your naysayers and winers quit..... it’s a simple choice.... pay to play, or don’t, micro-transactions are gambling, either you win or lose, deal with it.
  • Boov
    604 posts Member

many people might have used so many crystals in preparation for this event that they're going to take it all the way eventhough it costs more than they expected / felt comfortable with. That means extra income for ea/cg.
    Both scenarios sound plausible to me.
  • shb
    49 posts Member
    I always thought revan would be something that kept me in the game... not pushed me out.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    ksomm5 wrote: »
    No_Try wrote: »

nwsmzihii085.png

This isn’t evidence. It’s a small sample size of overly involved people in this game. 200 people is a fraction of a fraction of who play this game

I said so far, it's getting populated slowly and the ratios are hardly changing. What is it that you don't agree with the current stats?

nwsmzihii085.png

I said so far, it's getting populated slowly and the ratios are hardly changing. What is it that you don't agree with the current stats?

I read to quick and didn’t see the “so far”. But I don’t agree with the numbers. I think it’s going to be more like 90% are no. How many players don’t use the forums and vote?
  • 7AnimalMother
    2053 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    TrowaJedi wrote: »
    Multiple MMOs I started playing for what now 18 years. UO monthly sub, SWG monthly sub, LOTRO, SWTOR, etc, even WoW I believe was only a monthly sub. Sorry but if you want to compare a 10-20 monthly sub to what whales pay on here you are completely lost. Yes I paid monthly in those but everything was available to any player that did as well the moment it hit the game. The difference there was the argument between raiding players and non-raiding who complained the items were hidden behind a raid wall. But in those games there was times I did not raid and did not need any raid gear to be competitive in PvE or PvP. Big difference again in a small monthly sub and dropping 300-500 in panic farming to get an in game item.

And for the record when LOTRO came out in 07 they offered a life time subscription(just $99) so I purchased it and since never paid a dime and got every item the moment it came out. They did a few years back offer was to purchase items with real money but no end game gear.

Ok, First off, I wasn't talking differences in amounts. I was talking difference between P2P and F2P. Second, trying to compare prices from one game to another makes no sense, especially considering you are talking about a game from over a decade ago. A lot of games now have a subscription and F2P option and also have in game purchases you can make with real money that adds up to the amounts you are talking about. It all depends on the style. Third, my entire argument has been about those who are upset because they can't spend $50 to $100 and get him right now.

Why would someone release a product that they know a vast majority of people are going to want and then put a $100 price tag on it when they know they can get $300-$500? This is really at this point getting counter productive. Originally I just wanted to point out that there is so much complaining over not getting enough notice or it costing to much and when you hear that enough it just sounds like greed from the player base. But this is really not that different from the way CLS or JTR was released. Granted, this is a more expensive farm if you want to get him first time, but notice time wise, that hasn't really changed.

It seems to me that everyone wants to know when and what is being release 2-3 months in advance. Its already been explained that can be difficult as bugs may cause delays and then we would have people upset that we were told we'd get something in 2-3 months and we spent time farming for it, and then we have to wait another 1-2 months.

What changed in gaming between a decade ago and now? Has the games become dramatically better that they now deserve far more investment than the initial subscription based model MMOs had?

No. In fact, games have become dramatically worse because of 1. mobile and 2. developers have learned how to monetize human weakness with the unethical freemium model.

Think of how incredibly deep games of the past have been in comparison to something like swgoh. This game has one of the most valuable IP possible, but if you really think about it, is the game play any good? 95% of your time spent in game is spent clicking "sim", "auto", or "join" and hoping 3 cherries come up on the same line. There is no story. The combat mechanics are basically an incredibly dumbed-down version of a turn base rpg without any depth of strategy. Gear is linear and not used in any strategic way. There is no pvp (unless you count clock blocking in pvAI arenas as pvp, which I do not.) In the three years since the game has been around, only 3 raids, a fleet arena, TB and TW have been released as playable "content". Most of that "content" uses the same 5 toon core code with minimal changes, and ranges from fun for awhile (raids) to paint dry boring (TB) and unimaginative. Given that the game has raked in around half a billion in revenue, you would have hoped that some of it would be reinvested in the game to create new and interesting content so a player could have a fun experience that wasn't entirely dictated by set times. That is not the case, as apparently EA is happy to pass off monetizing new toons as "content" while those of us who love Star Wars just sit and suffer.

Uhm......With the epic criticism, why are you here? Why is the game even installed on your device? Why are you spending personal time on the forum posting a long diatribe of how much you hate the game? Seems like you spent a good deal of time writing this so I can appreciate the effort, but who hurt you so bad that you felt the need to shout to the world?

As someone who has been a Detroit Lions fan, I am used to years of disappointment and the promise of good things to come in the future...only to be let down by the reality of mediocrity.

With that being said, why are you not "SWGOH free" at this point?

Because, in Poker terms, I'm pot committed at this point, and I like my shard chat mates and guild mates who are fun to talk to and share a love of star wars (and many other nerdy things) regardless of this game.

For a long time I did actually hold out hope that maybe EA would reinvest earnings and make this game actually good, but after year two, I gave up hope on that. I notice you didn't try and counter any of the points I made (cause let's be honest, how could you when they are all true...), so why do -- you -- stay?

And also, this game still gives me something to do when I take a dump.

P.S. Why is "hurt you so bad that you felt the need to shout to the world" a common response to criticism? That response assumes facts not in evidence and is an illogical ad hominem aspersion that does nothing to address the initial argument.
  • Boov
    604 posts Member

nwsmzihii085.png

I read to quick and didn’t see the “so far”. But I don’t agree with the numbers. I think it’s going to be more like 90% are no. How many players don’t use the forums and vote?

This thread has 1k replies and 55k views, so i guess the devs should ignore this aswell since it's only a fraction of the playerbase and they can decide they don't agree with the general sentiment.
  • Boov wrote: »

nwsmzihii085.png

This thread has 1k replies and 55k views, so i guess the devs should ignore this aswell since it's only a fraction of the playerbase and they can decide they don't agree with the general sentiment.

Oh I see what you did there. 😜
  • ksomm5 wrote: »

nwsmzihii085.png

I agree that the poll will likely skew at least some towards yes. Since if you are likely to invest money in the game, you are probably more likely to be on the forums. Now I'm sure that there are non forum whales, but probably a lot more casual players that aren't likely to purchase. But that's just my gut.
  • ksomm5 wrote: »
    Is it just me, but If they never had Revans kit approved, why did they push this being released? Shouldn’t that happen before this stage? Seems like poor planning and a nightmare release coming.

What proof is there that his kit isn't finished and they're not just sitting there, waiting to reveal it at their own pace?
  • Kit reveal!!!! Pleasssssse EA/CG?!?!? This suspense...... hahahahaha
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

nwsmzihii085.png

Hmm I didn't make an interpretation on the percantage that will have him and won't have him. I agree this percentage getting him won't happen.

My post was a reply to a previous post comparing those that will get him no matter what and those waiting for the kit reveal (and will get him if they like it). That's what surprised me.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    Birds gotta fly.
    Fish gotta swim.
    GoH forum gotta complain.

Yeah, right? Toxic community.
    I think they did nothing wrong.
    They could have said Revan will arrive in six months, but they already made him accessible for a few players/whales right now, so what?
    It's their business and they want to make some money, we all benefit from them making money.
    The only thing I'm not sure of is if there are enough players in reach of 7*ing those 5 toons.
    Otherwise there may be too few people buying those packs because they won't reach their goal with only one pack.
    But only time will tell if CG miscalculated this time.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I did a little experiment with the Revan panic farm tool to simulate a player that jumped on the OR immediately (http://www.swgoh.life/panic_kotor.html). I put both Bastila and Bindo at 7* since they've been farmable for longer (2 weeks, to be exact - Sep 12th). I also assumed someone fired up to get Revan would then buy 8 packs of 4 for each of Mission, Zaalbar, and T3, getting them to 4* 2/65 for those 3 (that's 7.6k crystals worth). I then looked back at the post announcing farmable locations for Mission, Zaalbar, and T3 (Sept 26th) and that was 23 days before the event began, so keyed that in. Seems like a pretty prepared theoretical player, yes?
    No.

Panic! Panic! 25.7 shards needed per day, for 945 crystals per day, for 30 days (27.4k crystals total). So then I thought, let's add the purchasable 50-packs in (up to 52/65 for those 3 now). That bumps it down to 645cr/d, but still in Panic! mode. So I don't really buy the "if you had jumped on the OR immediately you'd be good" argument. You would have needed to aggressively buy all shipments and farm with multiple refreshes on each, which simply isn't feasible unless you're spending a lot on a weekly basis. It confirmed what I already knew just second after reading the original post for the journey, but I was frankly a bit surprised about how short even a seemingly prepared player would be.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Ruprecht wrote: »

It's their business and they want to make some money, we all benefit from them making money.
    Lol, we basically waste time and others also money.
  • Been thinking about this... we won't get Revan too soon. (Read into too soon what you will.)

We absolutely (I believe this 100% but it's just an opinion) will have a Marquee first for Carth Onassi and probably a Marquee for his ship, Endar Spire.

I wouldn't be surprised at that point for T3 to get the crew member affiliation tag as u need T3 for the ship.

I can't imagine any Revan Journey not having Carth as part of the party. Other than Bastilla, he is the second most integral member (maybe third if you count T3, or 4'th if you think HK47 is needed too).

To me, those characters hold the most sway, and then you get to Mission and Zalabar.

My other thought is that while you need all, it will be for different parts of the event/journey.

Granted this is speculation, but it would coincide with what CG_Carrie said about while they aren't currently working on Marquees anymore, that doesn't mean we won't still get some that were already in the works.

IE: Carth will be the one behind the paywall, so while everyone is freaking out right now, get ready for an outright riot when Carth is only farmable for maybe a 2-3 week span before Revan rolls out.

It says it is starting next week, the day after JTR 10/18
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    If you want to get excited in a different way, take a trip over to SWTOR and run Maelstrom Prison again, and/or The Foundry. Obviously if you never played it would take too long unless you get a 0 to max character and pug it. My point is it really brings this all to a new level imho. As strange as it is, when the Revan event rolls around you will feel like "Hey I've been there" or "Yeah, he really went through the ringer". Prolly just being silly (me) but it's how I'm wired. I like having a back story and background of the character. The cool thing there iirc is you can "solo" flashpoints now, and do not need others, so you can really immerse yourself and take as long as you wish in it.
    Plain and simple.. CG is a business here to make money and they are going to make a good deal of it on revan. If you think they should make a toon of this magnitude available without spending money you are ignorant or a child. If you want Revan the first time around then quit complaining and open your wallet. Otherwise just keep grinding and you will get him the second time around.

Whales: have all the KOTOR toons ready before this dropped
    Mild spenders: are not even close to try
    f2p: are toast

How exactly will they make money? Who is snatching up 6 or 7 vaults to do this event?

You’re thinking of it wrong. They already *made* the money. They made the money when those characters came out and the so-called whales bought them (I hate the term “whale,” by the way, it’s a jealous perjorative used by people who can’t afford to spend but want to feel morally superior like not spending is a choice they madde instead of a circumstance they just happen to be in).

A hero’s journey rewards people who have already spent, it’s a way of saying “Thanks for your support!” And then they keep on spending because their habit is rewarded.

The goal of Revan (and Luke and Rey before) isn’t to make a bunch of money the week after it’s released, it’s to ensure the bunch of money they make every week continues.

BUT. ALSO. The goal is to minimally impact the rest of us. Only folks who already spend will get it this time. Folks who spend a bit will get it next time. Folks who are free will get it next time if they keep working on it right now, and the time after if they don’t. In any event, we’re okay. It’s only the folks who give up that will be left behind. Just keep doing yourself and everything will be fine.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • EventineElessedil
    6171 posts Member
    edited October 2018

Yes, whales have already whaled. Blowfish will puff up and aimlessly swim about.

Some dolphins will buy what is needed to join the whales. Some of those dolphins may evolve into whales. This event is for them, the ones who buy now and in the future. Plus the ones who already bought.

It's ok. It's just P2P content. All will be fine.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    I hate the term “whale,” by the way, it’s a jealous perjorative used by people who can’t afford to spend but want to feel morally superior like not spending is a choice they madde instead of a circumstance they just happen to be in

It's a casino slang term to talk about high roller and big spenders. It was first borrowed by the F2P publishers to label the demographic of high spenders and it seeped to the general public via interview and papers on the topic.

If anything it speaks about the cynicism of this industry way more than the "jealousy" of the F2P crowd.

One of the big companies in this business is even named after a famous whaling boat... Probably just a coicidence.
  • SnakesOnAPlane
    4363 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    So it’s lighting up on Discord that they’re reworking his kit feverishly over this weekend after some bad reviews from testers. Not sure how true this is, but it’s being spread. Shouldn’t matter as long as he’s awesome when he’s released. I have faith in the Devs.
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Hi folks,
    I know everyone is clamoring for more info on Revan so here a few quick updates for everyone on the Ancient Journey for Jedi Knight Revan:
    • Difficulty/Gear Req - This Ancient Journey is balanced to be in line with Hero's Journey events. We design these events so players can experience the story without needing to bring your characters to G11 or G12. This will not have the difficulty of the Original Trilogy Chewbacca event
      Requirements & Recommendations:
      6fx4xoxw65y3.png
    • Will this event return? - Of course, all our Legendary, Hero's Journey, and now Ancient Journey, events will return in the future. We don't have a timeline for when this event will return but rest assured you will have another chance to get Jedi Knight Revan. As CapGasp mentioned, this event will have some awesome rewards at each tier so it's worth trying to complete some of the event even if you can't finish the whole thing.
    • Revan Kit - Last but not least, we will be revealing the final details of Jedi Knight Revan's kit prior to the start of the event next week
  • Monel
    2775 posts Member
    CG_SBCrumb wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I know everyone is clamoring for more info on Revan so here a few quick updates for everyone on the Ancient Journey for Jedi Knight Revan:
    • Difficulty/Gear Req - This Ancient Journey is balanced to be in line with Hero's Journey events. We design these events so players can experience the story without needing to bring your characters to G11 or G12. This will not have the difficulty of the Original Trilogy Chewbacca event
      Requirements & Recommendations:
      6fx4xoxw65y3.png
    • Will this event return? - Of course, all our Legendary, Hero's Journey, and now Ancient Journey, events will return in the future. We don't have a timeline for when this event will return but rest assured you will have another chance to get Jedi Knight Revan. As CapGasp mentioned, this event will have some awesome rewards at each tier so it's worth trying to complete some of the event even if you can't finish the whole thing.
    • Revan Kit - Last but not least, we will be revealing the final details of Jedi Knight Revan's kit prior to the start of the event next week

Thank you for this! At least we fully understand what is needed to acquire Revan.
  • Ultra
    11416 posts Moderator
    CG_SBCrumb wrote: »
    [*] Revan Kit - Last but not least, we will be revealing the final details of Jedi Knight Revan's kit prior to the start of the event next week
    [/list]
    Why so late?