Hi There. In 40 old father who started this game with my son. Need help playing

Prev13
So. I have always been star wars fan and wanted to play this game and started it with my son (12, has own account) two months ago. My son is WAAYYY farther than I am, moslty because he can beat galactic war daily and i havent been able to get past number 9... I always get LVL82-85 Phoenix or imperial at this point and most of the time my team is done before i even get turn... I have tried many times retreat and try, but no way i can beat this.

My son has bastilla, Kyloren, and others on his team.
My best team by power Bobafett, Jangofett/vader, Jedi coucelor, young luke and mace windu.

How to assemble my squad to beat this Galactic war? IT seems that it is only place to get credits and goodies and im missing everything grinding and getting frustrated by not being able to upgrade my units.

https://swgoh.gg/p/892917546/

Replies

• Options
    “Warrior Presents” 4 Pillars are a good guide (but slightly out of date now). See picture below and his video on YouTube.

Making it even simpler their are 3 main early goals:
    1) Phoenix Team - the best early lightside team, can win GWar most days by themselves because they regen health/Protection. On days where you get a hard node —> you use your 2nd team (Empire) to assist.
    Phoenix can unlock 2 Legendary characters - Thrawn and Emperor Palpatine.
    2) Empire - Vader, TFP, Tarkin, RGuard + 1 Trooper/Boba Fett temporarily . Replace RG and the +1 with Thrawn and EP when you get them.
    Empire - Unlock R2D2
    3) Credit Heist Team - you need credits! Stick to BHs and Storm Trooper Han. You need BHs later on and you need STH for unlocking Commander Luke later on.

z8udo3vxyp2v.png
  • Options
    Worth saying Sabine is optional....a hard farm.
    Tarkin I would do earlier than he suggests.
    I’d do Greedo before IG88
    Lando I’d pass on (although he is useful early game)
  • Options
    Thank you for your input. I looked these threads and noticed that this game is strange that you cannot go forward without certain units... Phoenix squad. Im old.. Originals Old... (Han shot first!) and those characters are not too familiar to me, so id like to play with characters from movies... haha. I have seen REbels with my son,but did not feel it too much... But summa summarum.. i have farmed totally wrong character that are useless.. so start again and lose 2 months... almost. I do have:
    - 4 empire charactes at 3 stars or better
    - 4 first order character at 3 stars or better
    - 1 rebel characters at 3 stars
    - 1 resistance characters at 3 stars

So... my question is why characters are not balanced so that I could use them.. EA?
  • Options
    You could ignore Phoenix and survive - you just won’t unlock Thrawn....
    You would make Team 1 the Rebels you need to unlock CLS
    And still need an Empire Team to unlock R2D2

So....something like
    AA(lead), STH, Leia, Farmboy Luke and Old Ben for Team 1
    Tarkin(l), TFP, Stormtrooper(or RG), Magmatrooper and one other for Team 2
    Credit Heist —> Boba, Greedo, Cad Bane, STH +1

This would give you the teams to unlock Commander Luke(CLS), R2D2, Emperor Palpatine.
    So your eventually upgraded teams would be solid

1) AA(l), R2D2, Leia, Old Ben and CLS
    2) EP(l), Vader, Tarkin, TFP and Stormtrooper
    3) Boba (l), Greedo, Cad Bane, and 2 other BHs
  • Options
    AA ? CLS? EP? STH i quess is stromtrooperhan
    TFP i quess is Tiefighterpilot..
  • Options
    AA is Admiral Ackbar, CLS is Commander Luke Skywalker, EP is Emperor Palpatine. You are correct about STH and TFP. It can take some time to get used to all the acronyms.
  • Options
    Phoenix.

Empire.

3 good Scoundrels.

Gear up to get CLS.
  • Options
    Jhalttu wrote: »
    Thank you for your input. I looked these threads and noticed that this game is strange that you cannot go forward without certain units... Phoenix squad. Im old.. Originals Old... (Han shot first!) and those characters are not too familiar to me, so id like to play with characters from movies... haha. I have seen REbels with my son,but did not feel it too much... But summa summarum.. i have farmed totally wrong character that are useless.. so start again and lose 2 months... almost. I do have:
    - 4 empire charactes at 3 stars or better
    - 4 first order character at 3 stars or better
    - 1 rebel characters at 3 stars
    - 1 resistance characters at 3 stars

So... my question is why characters are not balanced so that I could use them.. EA?

You haven't farmed useless toons, Boba Jango and Vader are all solid toons, and Farm boy Luke is needed for CLS, so those arent wasted. Mace isn't great, but you need to build him at least enough to clear his ship challenge later so there's that. JC isn't exactly stellar, but his ship isn't bad for when you start your fleet so at least you can use him there for a bit.

I would highly recommend PS for sure, they take you far early game. I started out lost and 2 weeks in I found warriors guide and it completely changed my game experience. At least you are finding help now, 2 months in, I've seen people asking after they had played for a year!
  • Options
    At level 76, he has missed the 'OMG Phoenix OP!!!' boat and diverting resources to that weeks-long farm now will make his arena team lag even farther behind.

By the time he actually has them powered up, he'll be facing squads that crush them in both arena and GW.
  • Options
    That phoenix squad is OP... I assume that this can be played without having phonix squad. IF my other teams cannot beat GW, then I assume that this game is not for me. I really dont want to start building 5 new charters.. to 7 star just to beat GW once..
  • Options
    Im now building my rebels as farmboy, leia, Han, acbar and old ben... only had thing is that they need those white pillows, so it gets awhile to collect them. but at least i can diver my other resources to 3 other pillars.
  • Options
    My biggest gap is resistance.. I only have Resitance trooper LVL 1 , resistance pilot LVL54
    BTW.. because I cannot yet beat GW... what is second best way to credits?
  • Options
    I updated my profile at swgoh.gg
  • Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    At level 76, he has missed the 'OMG Phoenix OP!!!' boat and diverting resources to that weeks-long farm now will make his arena team lag even farther behind.

By the time he actually has them powered up, he'll be facing squads that crush them in both arena and GW.

What does this actually mean? Because I have wrong chars i cannot ever beat GW? Or it will take months? That means endless grinding with no credits.. so basically hang gloves?
  • Options
    What guilds do you recommend? Im active and always play my dailies and guild. but because my units are lvl30-70 It seems that i cannot go to any big guild because i cannot participate raids (lvl restrictions)
    ... And sorry. this has become me speapinkg to myself...
  • Options
    You can beat GW without Phoenix...build the 2 teams I suggested:
    *Original Rebels —> Admiral Ackbar, Farmboy Luke, Leia, Stormtrooper Han and Old Ben (replace STH with R2D2 once you unlock him and replace Farmboy Luke with Commander Luke/Raid Han)
    *Empire —> You need x5 at 7* to unlock R2D2 —> Tarkin and Tie Fighter Pilot should be 2 of these.

Focus on making them both as strong as you can.
  • SebPovic
    67 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    To be able to participate in heroic raids you need at least one toon at 7*.

Ive noticed something else in your arena team.
    The speed numbers of your mod sets are +37, +23, +21, +2 and +13. Thats literally close to zero. And you dont have a single omega ability unlocked.
  • Options
    The trouble he will have is the Squad Arena Store...if you are going to avoid Phoenix and go for Rebels - you need to do this immediately before you plummet out of the better Arena payouts. The problem is Leia, STH, AA (and Tarkin) are all in that store.
  • Options
    SebPovic wrote: »
    To be able to participate in heroic raids you need at least one toon at 7*.

Ive noticed something else in your arena team.
    The speed numbers of your mod sets are +37, +23, +21, +2 and +13. Thats literally close to zero. And you dont have a single omega ability unlocked.

What does this mean? Where do I get These Omega abilities?
    I havent been able to play mod challenges too far yet. So i cannot get speedmods yet.
  • Options
    I have read beginned guides here about mods (still dont really get them) and speed is most important.. I havent seen them anywhere at this point. when i search my mods primary speed.. .i have zero, secondary 4, but those are 3,3,3,4... I havent seen other yet, but I guess i first somehow have to beat potensy challenge.

Potency challenge. i got:
    Vader
    Boba Fett
    Farmboy luke
    Jedi consular
    Mace windu

I have tried with vader as leader and luke as leader.... I get annihilated byt emperor and 3 royal guards..
    So no speed mods in near future =)
  • Options
    So it seems that my biggest priority is now to get 5 Empire units to 5 star to try to complete Potency mods and try Speed mods challenge. Correct?
  • Options
    Health mods work fine as starter mods....keep you alive longer!
    Only the arrow mod can get speed Primary (the main top number). These are less common and if you get one put it on your best characters.
    Speed secondary numbers are still the most important next number for 95% of characters “BUT any mod is better than none!”

If you see a Blue Mod without speed - level it until lvl 6 and it will show you all 4 stats on it. if it has speed then lvl it up to 12 then 15 when you have the credits. Sometimes you might get a good mod without speed e.g. a Crit Damage Triangle, with CChance,Offence and Health/Protection on it’s secondaries. Don’t assume no speed = useless at the beginning of the game!
    If you see a Purple Mod without speed - level it until lvl 3 and see if it gains speed.
    Gold mods show all 4 immediately.

Green Mods - if you have the credits then you can consider leveling to lvl 9 and looking for speed. This is obviously more expensive.

Grey Mods - Sell them unless it’s a Speed Arrow Primary or a Triangle that you need (Triangle mods are rarer).
  • Options
    Ha. I just realised... I can SELL mods.... Hahah. I got 1 Million from them... I sold all grey and other 1 and 2 dot.
  • Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

What does this actually mean? Because I have wrong chars i cannot ever beat GW? Or it will take months? That means endless grinding with no credits.. so basically hang gloves?
    You can beat GW without Phoenix and you can beat it with a single team if you have the right team. Phoenix is simply the easiest path for a newbie to take (and it is also required for some useful content later).

You need three things for GW - healing (preferably passive, crowd control (offensive & defensive) and good damage output.
  • Options
    As I said it will be hard if he’s not getting GWar cleared and low Arena Currency - so my teams above would take ages...if you definitely won’t go the Phoenix route:
    How about something unorthodox using characters from different stores and easier nodes:
    This whole idea fails if you can’t reach and 3* Cantina node 3B (Qi’ra)
    —> The team I’m suggesting is a Scoundrel team with regenerating Protection thanks to Qi’ra lead. It will let you 3* the credit Heist, and training droid Heist, move up the Arena and clear Galactic War. It’s a mixed lightside/Darkside Team.

Qi’ra (lead) Cantina node 3b
    Boba - Cantina Store
    Cad Bane - Galactic War
    Lando - Cantina node 1e
    STHan - Squad Arena Store.

This team has plenty of DPS, stuns, Taunts and Protection recovery. All on easy nodes. What do other people think??
    Comments please :)
  • Options
    I have:

max boba 100'/100
    young lando 2/25
    SThan 26/65

still un opened:
    zero qira 0/25
    cad bade 27/50
  • Options
    I did open EZRA.. 11/25

I realise that my problem is bad healers.. jedi consular is not very good.
    Luminara Unduli is easiet to open 36/50. Worth it?
  • Options
    What you can do and how quickly depends on how many energy refreshes you can do. What is your daily crystal income and are you prepared to supplement it with $$$?
  • Options
    Daily is 200? I really dont know how much comes from dailies.
    I did spend 50EUR, but hopefully not too much... I have learned my lesson about these games and unlimited payments.... with Clash Royale... Game is same no matter how much you pay..
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Daily is 200? I really dont know how much comes from dailies.
    Not a whole lot to work with. Squad and fleet arenas are the best sources but you have to get high in the rankings which requires a stronger squad / fleet which of course is what you need to work on. Catch-22.

Whatever you do get should go on energy refreshes to speed up your farming. Do not waste crystals buying shards and definitely do not waste them buying shard packs.
    I did spend 50EUR, but hopefully not too much... I have learned my lesson about these games and unlimited payments.... with Clash Royale... Game is same no matter how much you pay..
    Money can be effective here, if spent on energy refreshes. Each day you can refresh light/dark side energy and mod energy 3x for 50 crystals a time (then cost doubles to 100) and fleet and cantina energy 3x for 100 crystals a time (then cost doubles to 200). The first tier of each is a worthwile investment.