Arena Payout Times Visible For All Players

Replies

• Options
    Pile wrote: »
    Huatimus wrote: »
    Doesn’t matter if they couldn’t or wouldn’t, they shouldn’t because that would make sniping and griefing too easy. Too many trolls out there.

Most people snipe because they generally have no other alternative. A lot of shard chats have a strangle hold on the top payouts and aren't letting new people in. I feel their pain all day long. Its trash when someone outside the chat can play their way into the top ten only to be double, triple, quadruple teamed then consistently targeted to ensure they don't get even top 20.

Play/ build up roster or buy a revan? I'm confused.

If you're reaching top 30 at least look up names in forums or swgoh.gg to try getting in. Some just assume first place is yours when you can climb up with your freshly bought Jedis.

I do agree some shard chats are bullies though.
  • Degs29
    361 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Doesn’t matter if they couldn’t or wouldn’t, they shouldn’t because that would make sniping and griefing too easy. Too many trolls out there.

Most people snipe because they generally have no other alternative. A lot of shard chats have a strangle hold on the top payouts and aren't letting new people in. I feel their pain all day long. Its trash when someone outside the chat can play their way into the top ten only to be double, triple, quadruple teamed then consistently targeted to ensure they don't get even top 20.

That does suck. My shard chat does that a lot, and I'm kind of uncomfortable with the vitriol they express with regards to players outside the shard chat. For my part, I hit whoever it makes sense to so long as that person isn't in their 1-hour window. Sometimes this **** my shard chat off, but so far they haven't targeted me for it.

I just don't think it's fair to target people based on whether or not they're in a shard chat.
  • Options
    Dralkyr wrote: »
    To what effect? Wouldn't that be EA/CG aiding and abetting the so-called "cheaters" on shard chats?

Expect a wave of chuckleheads telling you how chat shards aren't cheating and how it just a reasonable courtesy.

Looking forward to Bama letting Clemson win the national title this year...you know, as a courtesy.
  • Options

There are also those who would like to do nothing else than to hold top position all day and snipe on purpose just because they like being total asshats.
  • Options
    Phenomenal suggestion and with the advent of time zone changes it is the best time to implement this. I've been considering this exact idea.
  • Options
    ShaggyB wrote: »
    Strubz wrote: »
    It also helps non-shard chat players as well. With the addition of in-game messaging, EA/CG has given us the means to communicate with other players we battle in arena.

Not to over-complicate things but what if you were given the option to opt-in to displaying your payout time? Do you think that would be better or worse? @Dralkyr

You do realize that being on the shard chat, while helpful and creative, is in essence defeating the purpose of the arena and payout times.

You are meant to push to be the best and dominate the arena. Climb to #1 and brutally knock down those who cant hang on Defense against your superior squad.

Making it easier for shard chats to get around the need to always evolve the squads to make them strong enough to hold onto the top spot makes no financial sense.

They want to encourage you to spend money to get an advantage.... you using a chat tool and agreements to not hit each other is a great thing, but it goes against the idea of you needing to spend crystals on gear, gear upgrade salvage, and energy refreshes to hold that payout

On the contrary, i would disagree. It actually might induce more spending because if one guy is getting revan, he tells the rest, and those that couldnt or didnt intend to will now scramble. U wouldnt really know who is gonna have revan for cheap too since likely they will unlock on day 5-7 and maybe will take another week or 2 to gear, so such information in a chat of people highly likely to spend is gonna cause more spending.
  • Options
    I'm in three different shard chats. They're all different, and three is not necessarily a representational sample, but this talk of "collusion" of keeping people out of the top 20 is inane nonsense. It just doesn't happen.

Players join shard chats to ensure they're not tied to their phone during payouts. ALMOST everyone I've met is happy to share with PO mates, and those few that aren't generally have A) put a lot of real money into the game, B) are very hard to beat, so they've sort of earned it and C) probably have some real life personality disorder to contend with anyway.

New players show up all the time, old ones leave. The newer chat features have made it even easier to reach out to other players and build bridges.

People who view the world through a zero-sum lens will think this is a bad idea. People who think that everyone can actually win will like the idea. Your answer essentially defines which one you are.
  • Options
    I'm in three different shard chats. They're all different, and three is not necessarily a representational sample, but this talk of "collusion" of keeping people out of the top 20 is inane nonsense. It just doesn't happen.

Players join shard chats to ensure they're not tied to their phone during payouts. ALMOST everyone I've met is happy to share with PO mates, and those few that aren't generally have A) put a lot of real money into the game, B) are very hard to beat, so they've sort of earned it and C) probably have some real life personality disorder to contend with anyway.

New players show up all the time, old ones leave. The newer chat features have made it even easier to reach out to other players and build bridges.

People who view the world through a zero-sum lens will think this is a bad idea. People who think that everyone can actually win will like the idea. Your answer essentially defines which one you are.

Same question as always - what do you do when someone says "no thanks" to your shard chat yet very reasonably expects to climb as high as possible each day? They are a good human being, but just don't want to be part of the chat. Are they treated any differently to someone with the same payout but who happens to be in the chat
  • Options
    CHFC22 wrote: »

Same question as always - what do you do when someone says "no thanks" to your shard chat yet very reasonably expects to climb as high as possible each day? They are a good human being, but just don't want to be part of the chat. Are they treated any differently to someone with the same payout but who happens to be in the chat

In my experience, not much. (As long as that person keeps to his/her payout) However, if that person is on a busy payout time (e.g. CET or EST), he probably will have a hard time staying in de top 10 for that payout, because the others on that payout that are in the chat are not wasting attacks on each other, leaving this person as (one of) the only viable target(s) by process of elimination. (However, compare this to the clusterduck that would happen with 10 people competing for the same payout in a refresh free-for-all.) If the next payout is also busy the situation will be even worse.
  • Options
    @Pile I stand corrected and am sorry for your experience. The only thing that makes any sense is that they have a large enough chat that even their top 10 is full. Again, I can only speak to my experience which has been very welcoming. The shard chats have existed to strengthen the feeling of community with like minded individuals.

Ask whoever you contacted for a list of payouts. If they're unwilling to do that, ask to be included into the general chat so you can ask who it's ok to move. Your intentions will become obvious over time.
  • Options

@CHFC22 My question would be why say "no thanks" to an invitation? There are no dues, there is no downside. There is only benefit from what I can see. I think of shard chats sort of like the WTO - everybody is in pseudo coop-etition with each other. The chat exists as a means to mediate dispute and foster better relationships between those members.

I'll answer your question with a question - do you treat someone on your team differently than someone not on your team? Of course you do.

As Pile pointed out above, there are some closed chats, and getting into those is possible, but painful. (Basically, make yourself cost them more crystals than they save by not having you in the chat - sad, but sometimes it has to happen). If a chat is reaching out to you, it's a good indication that they're welcoming. Again, just my experience.
  • Options
    I definitely wouldn't want my payout time exposed.
    I can understand some of the arguments on both sides, but let me show you my perspective: I'm in the 100s in my arena, so I do have an opinion about such shard chats from what I read on the forum, but they are not my business (yet) . I am quite happy with my winning category at this point of the game. That in mind, there's variety and I attack those teams that I know I can beat the easiest, to climb as high as I can everyday. I am not interested in thinking about my opponents' payout times at all, as they are not friends or guild mates, just enemies who don't care about me neither.
    But, now the really important point: even though there are a lot of people out there who would use such a tool to behave nice, in every online game you will also face trolls who will attack you just because your payout time is coming. Like someone said before, it puts a target on you and to me, this danger has to be valued higher than possible benefits.
  • Options

Depends, do they tell you when their payout is? Hard to avoid hitting people near their payout if they don't share it. Our chat tries to keep track of non members that are high but there are no guarantees. Also with payout changes knowing when their payout is to avoid them is more difficult if they refuse to join the chat.

Second, do they avoid hitting members in the chat when their payout is coming up? The answer to that is probably no. I know the ones that don't join ours often snipe people before their payouts which usually leads to retaliation.

My fleet arena doesn't have a shard chat but I do know a few people's payouts. Mostly from their climbing habits and I avoid sniping them if I can. One is now in my arena shard too so I reached out to them and they are an hour after me. So I agreed not to hit them on my climb if they waited until after my payout to hit me. The other has the same payout. I avoid them just because it's a hassle to be hit back. I do hit him if he's in first though. But I usually try to take 2nd first and not bump him too much if i have the extra attacks.
  • Options
    @CHFC22 My question would be why say "no thanks" to an invitation? [...] do you treat someone on your team differently than someone not on your team? Of course you do.

May I jump in and give my 2 cents on this, even though you didn't mean me? ;)
    Because no offence, but actually that's the main problem I have with that "shard chat thinking" seeing on the forum... I wouldn't want to be in such a chat for simple, but profunded reasons. If I was in the top 5 and able to beat the 1st just before my payout time, why should I listen to anybody talking about "teaming up" and "rotation management"? Socializing is for guild mates, in arena everyone is an enemy. If others can't fight to defend their spot at the right time, that's my advantage.
  • Options
    @Pile I stand corrected and am sorry for your experience. The only thing that makes any sense is that they have a large enough chat that even their top 10 is full. Again, I can only speak to my experience which has been very welcoming. The shard chats have existed to strengthen the feeling of community with like minded individuals.

Ask whoever you contacted for a list of payouts. If they're unwilling to do that, ask to be included into the general chat so you can ask who it's ok to move. Your intentions will become obvious over time.

I've asked a few and the reception has been ice cold to say the least. I figure that I'm probably not the first to make a request and honestly, most that have, likely faded away after a couple of weeks. I'm just going to plug away and do what I do for a while and see if that breaks the ice.

That sucks. I had the opposite experience. My shard reached out to me because I was hitting a member before their payout. And I have invited a few for the same reason.

We do have a rule where those you'll share a payout with have to agree to let you join but we are looking to change that. Better to have people in the chat than sniping outside of it in my opinion.

For the US players in my shard it hasn't been an issue since there aren't a lot of us to share payouts but there are a few European payouts that are a bit crowded.

My advice if they are excluding you is to reachout to others in the top 50 but not in the top 20 and make a chat so they have to deal with 20 of you and not just one.
  • Options
    CadoaBane wrote: »
    @CHFC22 My question would be why say "no thanks" to an invitation? [...] do you treat someone on your team differently than someone not on your team? Of course you do.

Because no offence, but actually that's the main problem I have with that "shard chat thinking" seeing on the forum... I wouldn't want to be in such a chat for simple, but profunded reasons. If I was in the top 5 and able to beat the 1st just before my payout time, why should I listen to anybody talking about "teaming up" and "rotation management"? Socializing is for guild mates, in arena everyone is an enemy. If others can't fight to defend their spot at the right time, that's my advantage.

@CadoaBane No offense taken, and not sure what profunded is, but if you meant profound, I saw that as "primarily self-interested". Life is a zero-sum game to you, as I mentioned in my first post in the thread. That's your prerogative. Those of us that think we can actually make more crystals by working together towards a common goal (our roster progression) will continue to work together against a common enemy (the keeper of crystals). Those of us who would rather be doing something other than babysitting our phone at some time bequeathed to us by the gods when we first opened the app will continue to work together. Non-shard chat arena isn't about who can beat who - it's about who's around to baby sit their payout and has the lowest latency internet connection, but I digress. You don't have to listen to anyone, but going it alone can be exhausting and costly. It's really nice to be able to get into your slot for the day two hours before your payout and not pick up the phone again until it's time to get some free energy and see if the store finally has some stun guns for sale ;-)

I disagree wholeheartedly that socializing is for guild mates only. My experience is that shard chats (and for those that exist, payout specific sub-chats) offer a higher level of discourse about the game than guild chats because you're dealing with players that put in the same level of effort and have the same focus as you. The same cannot be said of most guilds (again, I've seen more than my share of guilds). Perhaps there's some self-selection bias in that sample, since by definition, those in the shard chats have already made the leap that coordination is better than altercation.
  • Options

@CadoaBane No offense taken, and not sure what profunded is, but if you meant profound, I saw that as "primarily self-interested". Life is a zero-sum game to you, as I mentioned in my first post in the thread. That's your prerogative. Those of us that think we can actually make more crystals by working together towards a common goal (our roster progression) will continue to work together against a common enemy (the keeper of crystals). Those of us who would rather be doing something other than babysitting our phone at some time bequeathed to us by the gods when we first opened the app will continue to work together. Non-shard chat arena isn't about who can beat who - it's about who's around to baby sit their payout and has the lowest latency internet connection, but I digress. You don't have to listen to anyone, but going it alone can be exhausting and costly. It's really nice to be able to get into your slot for the day two hours before your payout and not pick up the phone again until it's time to get some free energy and see if the store finally has some stun guns for sale ;-)

I disagree wholeheartedly that socializing is for guild mates only. My experience is that shard chats (and for those that exist, payout specific sub-chats) offer a higher level of discourse about the game than guild chats because you're dealing with players that put in the same level of effort and have the same focus as you. The same cannot be said of most guilds (again, I've seen more than my share of guilds). Perhaps there's some self-selection bias in that sample, since by definition, those in the shard chats have already made the leap that coordination is better than altercation.

Yep. See, you've done what every single person who "answers" this question has done:

1. Not give it a straight answer
    2. Make someone who politely refuses to join a shard chat out to be selfish etc

Clearly you're an articulate and intelligent person, but you're missing the point of my question: no matter how you frame it shard chats are not part of the game design, and people who choose not to join one shouldn't be targeted by the jilted party to protect one of their own.
  • Options

I'm not from the US and english is not my first language, so I hope you can overlook a typo like that ;) .
    You don't seem to understand the difference between "mates" and "opponents". My guild is all about teamwork and that is a great part of the game. Arena is all about 1:1 competition and that's a great part of the game, too. Please avoid judging a person by their opinion about one simple thing.
    If you choose to not spend your time fighting for a spot, that's your choice, but some people actually enjoy the excitement of fighting for something.
    You stated as an example, how comfortable it is to sit on a top spot for 2 hours. What about your idea of socializing when I think about those who actually have their payout time 1-2 hours before you, it's their right to climb, of course, and in return you will have enough time to climb back before your payout. If you don't, the more active player deserves the spot.
  • Options

Yep. See, you've done what every single person who "answers" this question has done:

1. Not give it a straight answer
    2. Make someone who politely refuses to join a shard chat out to be selfish etc

Clearly you're an articulate and intelligent person, but you're missing the point of my question: no matter how you frame it shard chats are not part of the game design, and people who choose not to join one shouldn't be targeted by the jilted party to protect one of their own.

I'll bite.

We do nothing to folks who don't want to join. There have been a few over the years. The only thing we do is rotate and in the last few minutes lock with each other. We don't coordinate any dropping or locking out of the top 10 of folks not in the chat or any of those time/energy intensive shenanigans.

I joined for peace of mind during my commute and dinner time. If I get dropped because I didn't climb or lock fast enough it'd be pretty childish to enact some sort of vendetta on the offending party. I don't care to put any energy into that sort of foolishness. Happily most of the folks in our chat are the same way (those in payouts that occur early in my day, 6am, stir up their own drama from time to time though).

I recognize that this isn't the common experience and that is a shame.
  • Options
    I'm not from the US and english is not my first language, so I hope you can overlook a typo like that ;) .
    You don't seem to understand the difference between "mates" and "opponents". My guild is all about teamwork and that is a great part of the game. Arena is all about 1:1 competition and that's a great part of the game, too. Please avoid judging a person by their opinion about one simple thing.

You're english is perfect! I can barely get it right and it's the only language I speak. I wasn't passing judgment, just making an observation. You view your shard as opponents. I view them as people standing in the same queue I'm standing in.
    If you choose to not spend your time fighting for a spot, that's your choice, but some people actually enjoy the excitement of fighting for something.

Oh, I get it. I remember how exciting the first time it was to fight a team in the top 50, then 20, then 10 - then making 3 for the first time (and subsequently getting sniped by our friendly neighborhood sniper). Then getting sniped by a few others, then reaching out to those people, making peace with them, and now having my PO Mates (no longer opponents) be one of the things that keeps me playing the game.

And now I can enjoy dinner with my family instead of wondering whether or not I got dropped.
    You stated as an example, how comfortable it is to sit on a top spot for 2 hours. What about your idea of socializing when I think about those who actually have their payout time 1-2 hours before you, it's their right to climb, of course, and in return you will have enough time to climb back before your payout. If you don't, the more active player deserves the spot.

Agree 100%. We don't move into position until the last set of players with payouts has had their payout. We don't climb over people who have payouts within two hours of our own. It's all very cordial, sort of like someone directing a play so all of the actors can get in their assigned spots for the day while causing as little inconvenience to the other actors as possible. Just turns out that my shard doesn't have ANYONE else in it two hours prior to my specific payout. And no, it's not because other people in the shard chat are actively blocking them.

There might be others we don't see that just cannibalize themselves in the 20-50 range. It gets pretty uncivilized up there.
  • Options

@CadoaBane
    I’ve made friends with my Leaderboard mates and have gone out for drinks with them. It’s more likely since they are probably physically located nearer to you when you have the same payout time. On the other hand, I’ve never ever met a single guild member out of the 1,000 plus guild members in the big alliance of guilds I am in. Heck, I’m in direct competition with my guild members all the time because we are all actively trying to fight each other to get top 10 spots for better rewards in Heroic Sith Raid. I don’t know about other people, but my definition of mate/opponent seems to be the exact opposite of yours.
  • Options
    You're english is perfect! I can barely get it right and it's the only language I speak. I wasn't passing judgment, just making an observation. You view your shard as opponents. I view them as people standing in the same queue I'm standing in.
    Thank you, I like the language a lot and my writing might be better than my pronunciation when I speak it, hehe. I understand what you mean, you rather fight the system than each other. But the company is not the enemy in my eyes.
    Oh, I get it. I remember how exciting the first time it was to fight a team in the top 50, then 20, then 10 - then making 3 for the first time (and subsequently getting sniped by our friendly neighborhood sniper). Then getting sniped by a few others, then reaching out to those people, making peace with them, and now having my PO Mates (no longer opponents) be one of the things that keeps me playing the game.

And now I can enjoy dinner with my family instead of wondering whether or not I got dropped.
    I understand your point, but it's still only for seeking comfort. What you call sniping is the most legit strategy. I have been in the top 5 of my fleet arena since before ships 2.0 came out. Of course, there is less activity overall than in squad arena, anyway has no shard chat at all. I am fighting for #1 more or less the same people everyday, so there's no need to chat to know that we have the same payout time. If it's a bad day and I don't win an important fight, or if someone can beat me during the last minute, I can respect that. In return, I'm sitting on the edge of my chair everyday, figuring out the perfect timing to not get dropped if on top. Knowing that at least 2-3 people are doing exactly the same, it encourages me to strengthen my pilots furthermore and literally count seconds before my last fight. I am always looking forward to that part of the day, and already quite a while ago planned my time around it. I consider the game a hobby, so I take the time for it and enjoy the advantage it gives me over those who don't.
    I did not intend to imply your shard chat was one of those that people get mad about in some threads. It actually sounds well thought out, but nevertheless I don't like the idea of teaming up in a pvp mode. Mainly because it takes away the idea of gaining advantage by putting time into the game, compared to those who put money into it, or none of the two.

• Options
    @CadoaBane
    I’ve made friends with my Leaderboard mates and have gone out for drinks with them. It’s more likely since they are probably physically located nearer to you when you have the same payout time. On the other hand, I’ve never ever met a single guild member out of the 1,000 plus guild members in the big alliance of guilds I am in. Heck, I’m in direct competition with my guild members all the time because we are all actively trying to fight each other to get top 10 spots for better rewards in Heroic Sith Raid. I don’t know about other people, but my definition of mate/opponent seems to be the exact opposite of yours.
    That might work for the US, but not over here in Europe. My guildmates are all either from the same country or at least speaking the language, as our officers just wouldn't want to write everything in multiple languages. People in my shard can be from all over Europe, though. ;) Guess such things add to the different points of view. About teamwork, we are not such an elite guild. We actually work together to manage HSTR at all, older and stronger players giving tipps to the "weaker" ones on squads etc., as for other parts of the game, too.

• UnbelieverInME
    451 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Unlikely.

I don't believe the point of being able to change your payout times had much to do with allowing people to min/max their numbers as much as it's about the fact that life changes: Teachers and students typically have more time in the summer, military can be deployed for weeks or months at a time, you move, switch jobs, all sorts of things may make your current payout time untenable for you. Being able to change your payout time twice a year helps alleviate most of these issues.

Being able to see people's payout times so you may snipe them just before payout if you don't like them even if their times changes wouldn't seem to be a high priority. If you need to know someone's payout time to work with them, you'd simply ask.
    This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
  • Options
    I'd like someone complaining about 'shard chats' to explain how CG/EA could have any control or exert any influence over 3rd party apps. Shard chats are on line/discord - there's no way for them to shut these down. It is what it is.
  • Options
    Reyalp wrote: »
    I'd like someone complaining about 'shard chats' to explain how CG/EA could have any control or exert any influence over 3rd party apps. Shard chats are on line/discord - there's no way for them to shut these down. It is what it is.

What does complaining about them have anything to do with CG/EA shutting them down?..... Just because big brother can't police or stop something doesnt make it right.....