Panic Farm?

Replies

• Options
    Some of us are behind because regardless of what the official drop rate is, some toons drop 5 shards a day. Sometimes toons won't drop 5 shards in a week. Ergo, rage induced panic farm.
  • Options
    I thought I was fine, happy to plug away at the OR thinking of how much fun it'll be when I get Revan. Now after learning Revan's coming back the 31st I'm not so sure. 164 shards to go on Mission, that's doable, right? It'll be a panic farm but it's doable... right?

qpubc01j8idw.jpg
    Started July 2016, completely FTP : https://swgoh.gg/u/rogenhamen/
  • Options
    Rogenhamen wrote: »
    I thought I was fine, happy to plug away at the OR thinking of how much fun it'll be when I get Revan. Now after learning Revan's coming back the 31st I'm not so sure. 164 shards to go on Mission, that's doable, right? It'll be a panic farm but it's doable... right?

qpubc01j8idw.jpg

Are you refreshing 3 times a day (300 crystals x 14 days = 4500 crystals, or about $30 in crystals)? You have roughtly 14 days, at an average of 10ish a day that's only 140ish... Might need to buy a 25 shipment (for 2000 crystals, roughly $15) or buy the $30 pack for 50 shards (plus 50 for big z for shard shop currency) and not have as much of a panic...
  • Options
    thedrjojo wrote: »

qpubc01j8idw.jpg

Are you refreshing 3 times a day (300 crystals x 14 days = 4500 crystals, or about $30 in crystals)? You have roughtly 14 days, at an average of 10ish a day that's only 140ish... Might need to buy a 25 shipment (for 2000 crystals, roughly $15) or buy the $30 pack for 50 shards (plus 50 for big z for shard shop currency) and not have as much of a panic...

Or if there are those extra packs for 600 crystals, that's probably not really worth it cause its probably less return on investment than just shipments...
  • Options

qpubc01j8idw.jpg

Mathtime.

Assumptions, Revan's event will last 7 days, droprate is 0,333.

For me, I will have 12 days left for farming (today is excluded, the last day is hust a 9 hour window in thr morning).

12 days grant me the following amount of shards for Mission.

165 free energy per day. So we get 165/16/3*12=41,25 Mission shards by just using free energy within our 12 days window.

3 energy purchases for 100 crystals each grant us 360 energy. So we get 120*3/16/3*12=90 Mission shards for just using the 3 100 energy purchases. Together with the free shards, we already have 131,25 shards.

1 energy purchase for 200 crystals grants us additional 120 energy. So we get 120*1/16/3*12=30 Mission shards for jusing this fourth energy purchase. Together with the previous collected shards we will reach 161,25 shards.

So for 500 crystals for twelve days in form of cantina energy and including all free cantina energy, you will receive 161,25 crystals on average. This is slightly below your needed amount, therefore you will need to have a second 200 crystal refresh on two days to collect 5 more shards.

Side note: Energy refreshes for 200 are equally expensive as purchasing mission shards in shipments. Mission shards cost 80 crystals per shard in shipments. 200crystals result in 120 energy, 120/16/3=2,5 and 200/2,5=80.
  • Options

qpubc01j8idw.jpg

I'm currently 166 away so I feel the panic as well...may the force be with us
  • Options
    I've been farming Revan daily for about 3-4 weeks. I'll come up short on Mission unless I spend real money. I won't so I'll wait. I've bought Marquee packs and bundles before but not anymore. Thought we'd get more than a week's notice from CG though. Very dissatisfying level of communication.
  • Ultra
    11538 posts Moderator
    Options
    AL3354 wrote: »
    I've been farming Revan daily for about 3-4 weeks. I'll come up short on Mission unless I spend real money. I won't so I'll wait. I've bought Marquee packs and bundles before but not anymore. Thought we'd get more than a week's notice from CG though. Very dissatisfying level of communication.
    They told us over a year ago that journey toons would be told only a week ahead, and you should've been farming them like they would drop tomorrow. Your fault for starting the farm seriously 3-4 weeks ago
  • Options
    Panic farm is in the eye of the beholder
  • Options
    Can we all please agree that after the first time a character drops (read - Released) from that point on there is no such thing as an induced "Panic Farm"? I'm so sick of people constantly saying that for Revan and Chewie. C'mon guys, it's not a panic farm if they were here 4 months ago, we all knew they were gonna be back in a few months. If you wanted them you shoulda been farming them. The only way it's a "panic farm" is if you chose not to farm the character til you heard they were coming back.

And Frankly, that's self inflicted. Stop acting like it's a Greed decision just cause you werent ready.

/Rant

You had so many things in the world you could have cared about, and you chose this.
  • Options
    Finally, I have been ready for Revan since November. I was losing my hope for him to show up this month.
  • Options
    Can we all please agree that after the first time a character drops (read - Released) from that point on there is no such thing as an induced "Panic Farm"? I'm so sick of people constantly saying that for Revan and Chewie. C'mon guys, it's not a panic farm if they were here 4 months ago, we all knew they were gonna be back in a few months. If you wanted them you shoulda been farming them. The only way it's a "panic farm" is if you chose not to farm the character til you heard they were coming back.

And Frankly, that's self inflicted. Stop acting like it's a Greed decision just cause you werent ready.

/Rant

You had so many things in the world you could have cared about, and you chose this.

You had so many things in the world you could have cared about yet you read this thread and chose to comment. But youre better. :wink:
  • Options
    thedrjojo wrote: »

I've been using natural energy since Revan first dropped to farm. Only about a week ago did I start using refreshes because I'd save my crystals and spend them on shards when they'd drop in shipments. I'm F2P and want to proudly keep it that way, however I enjoy what CG has put in my hands and feel they deserve some compensation so I might cave on spending.

Morti wrote: »

Mathtime.

Your math looks solid, if a little daunting. My concern is if refreshes will be faster or saving for shards from shipments will be. That and my crystal income to make either option viable.
  • Options
    Only about a week ago did I start using refreshes because I'd save my crystals and spend them on shards when they'd drop in shipments.

Shipments are twice as expensive as 100 crystal cantina refreshes.

Mission in shipments costs 80 crystals/shard.

Mission in cantina costs 40 crystals/shard for the first three refreshes each day.

100 crystals = 120 energy = 7.5 attempts @ 33% drop rate = 2.5 shards = 40 crystals/shard

• Options

Shipments are twice as expensive as 100 crystal cantina refreshes.

Mission in shipments costs 80 crystals/shard.

Mission in cantina costs 40 crystals/shard for the first three refreshes each day.

100 crystals = 120 energy = 7.5 attempts @ 33% drop rate = 2.5 shards = 40 crystals/shard

Yeah, I never bothered to do some of the math for that, until about a week ago when I was finishing up Jolee. 25 crystals for 8 more tries and I'd usually get at least 3. Compare that to, what?, 320 crystals for 4. Obviously there's RNG involved but it's gotta be a better overall investment in the long run.
  • Options
    Yes you could have gotten revan as FTP without panic farming... But that would have taking spending 700c a day as soon as the toons appeared on nodes... So finishing top In both arenas or having crystals saved. In either case as FTP you would need to commit early to finish the farm.

Same is true for dark revan.... If Bastila fallen is needed you need to be refreshing her node twice to finish her in time.
  • Options
    Deadheat wrote: »
    I agree. Been sitting at 50/100 for the 4 besides Bastila so I can buy the packs. This was a month ago and I didn’t start farming until half a month after the event because I had to focus on work. How do people not have these toons by now?

3PO, HMF, Chewie.....

That X 10. Plus, not everyone has been around long enough to have everything either. When Revan hit the first time i was still working on 2 pre-existing legendaries. BB8 and i forget which other. Pushes you back, you know? not to mention Chewy came first, so a number of people would need BH's first.

They put up 4 new legendaries in 4 months and you expect every will just get them all in time? You either spend a lot or have been here a lot longer. Games been around, what? 3 years? You can't blow off people who haven't been around 2 years or more.

• Options

lol 3 weeks for T3 using only refreshes from daily tasks you must have the best luck in the world ....i do 2 refreshes a day and average 2 to 4 shards a day.
  • Options
    JohnAran wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    IMO, a panic farm is when you dont know what is going to be needed until shortly before the event.

If the toon has been around a while, it's hard to call it a panic farm. If the characters are known, but the release time is not, it's still not really a panic farm. You know exactly what to focus on, not having time or resources to do so, is not really in the devs control. New players start all the time, they cant hold a release to make sure everyone gets them the second time around.

But that's just me.

But panic farming has nothing to do with devs. It’s a personal experience. When you find yourself in a position where you need to farm a lot of shards in a short time to get what you want, you are in panic farm mode.
    The devs, the reasons you got there, whereas the requirements are known or not, have been in the game for a long time or not, all of this is 100% irrelevant to the state of affairs : you need a lot of shards, and it’s going to be a race against the clock.

If you need shards in a short amount of time, and you choose to panic that doesnt mean it is a panic farm, it means you are panicing because you were not ready. If you are panicing because you had no idea what to set up for and now have something thrown into your face that is a panic farm. It is a subtle difference but it is a difference IMO.

IMO, panic farm is a gaming practice that involves limited information until there is limited time. Anything else is just a personal issue due to when you started playing, or your income of resources that help you progress. Once the details are out there, and an event has passed for the first time, the panic is over, the planning begins.

Ok well personally i’m really not interested in nitpicking and playing around with words just for the sake of it so i’ll just disagree with op (and you) and have no problem with people talking about panic farming.
    I don’t see how pushing for revan now in panic mode after just getting jtr is less of a panic farm than pushing for him the first time around for those who didn’t have anything better to do. It’s the exact same thing that’s happening (counting days, crystals, making guesses and projections...), and the exact same feeling for the people finding themselves in the situation. That’s just my opinion of course.

Just because there is organized panic farming every power creep’s release does not mean it’s the only true panic farming.

Anything after the first release is not a panic farm. My absolutely 100% f2p ex-guildmate is ready for revan event. Sure, he gave up farming BH (chewie) for that, but as f2p u have to make choices.

Further, it was predicted that revan would be back in Jan-Mar. if they threw revan back early jan then sure, might still be considered a panic farm for f2p since it would be hardly 3 months since first release. But no, it’s end jan - u had almost 4 mths to do it.
  • Options
    This thread is funny.....not everyone is up to date on their characters...maybe they focused on other things like JTR to help their guild, especially if they're newer.

Panic farming is really a personal thing. If you're short on something you really want and the event is coming soon, it's a panic farm for you. Who cares what others think the definition should be.

If revan happened a week earlier, I would have been nervous....maybe not panicked. As it is, it's working out nicely for me.
  • Options
    What a kindergarten discussion you guys :confounded:

CG is obviously timing the return of revan based on data = crittical mass needing more shards than they can get for free (other metrics like spending habbits might apply)

They are in it to make money!

Distinguish between “type1” and “type2” if you like, it’s the same kind of “panicking” they are looking for

For those of you who like me have been ready for a while - good for us - But don’t kid yourselves that “everyone” could have done the same
  • Options
    The very reason they don’t disclose event dates is to control timing based on when they can produce most spending
  • Eddiemundie
    1070 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Emmant wrote: »
    The very reason they don’t disclose event dates is to control timing based on when they can produce most spending

But really, Jan’19 was the expected return of revan because he would be countered in 3rd week of Feb’19. It basically makes the relatively more f2p yet competitive players burn gear on revan to keep in the top, which in turn pressures the p2p or really really competitive f2p to panic farm (and pay for) the next meta. So, even if the more f2p players could get the anti-revan, they would have spent on gear for JKR in order to keep the crystal inflow for another 3 weeks, only to be disappointed later.
  • Options
    IMO, a panic farm is when you dont know what is going to be needed until shortly before the event.

If the toon has been around a while, it's hard to call it a panic farm. If the characters are known, but the release time is not, it's still not really a panic farm. You know exactly what to focus on, not having time or resources to do so, is not really in the devs control. New players start all the time, they cant hold a release to make sure everyone gets them the second time around.

But that's just me.

But panic farming has nothing to do with devs. It’s a personal experience. When you find yourself in a position where you need to farm a lot of shards in a short time to get what you want, you are in panic farm mode.
    The devs, the reasons you got there, whereas the requirements are known or not, have been in the game for a long time or not, all of this is 100% irrelevant to the state of affairs : you need a lot of shards, and it’s going to be a race against the clock.

If you need shards in a short amount of time, and you choose to panic that doesnt mean it is a panic farm, it means you are panicing because you were not ready. If you are panicing because you had no idea what to set up for and now have something thrown into your face that is a panic farm. It is a subtle difference but it is a difference IMO.

IMO, panic farm is a gaming practice that involves limited information until there is limited time. Anything else is just a personal issue due to when you started playing, or your income of resources that help you progress. Once the details are out there, and an event has passed for the first time, the panic is over, the planning begins.

Ok well personally i’m really not interested in nitpicking and playing around with words just for the sake of it so i’ll just disagree with op (and you) and have no problem with people talking about panic farming.
    I don’t see how pushing for revan now in panic mode after just getting jtr is less of a panic farm than pushing for him the first time around for those who didn’t have anything better to do. It’s the exact same thing that’s happening (counting days, crystals, making guesses and projections...), and the exact same feeling for the people finding themselves in the situation. That’s just my opinion of course.

Just because there is organized panic farming every power creep’s release does not mean it’s the only true panic farming.

Anything after the first release is not a panic farm. My absolutely 100% f2p ex-guildmate is ready for revan event. Sure, he gave up farming BH (chewie) for that, but as f2p u have to make choices.

Further, it was predicted that revan would be back in Jan-Mar. if they threw revan back early jan then sure, might still be considered a panic farm for f2p since it would be hardly 3 months since first release. But no, it’s end jan - u had almost 4 mths to do it.

As i said in my previous post to kyno i personally think everything you said is completely irrelevant to the fact that it’s a panic farm and explained further why. You seem to imply that you can’t panic in a situation if it’s your own choice that lead you there in the first place. I very strongly disagree with that. In fact i think it doesn’t make any sense.
  • Reyalp
    738 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    There is no panic farm this time round, and if you are panic farming you've only got yourself to blame. For context, you've had 105 days between events - that's 3 shards per day per toon to get them all to 7* (305/105 = 3). That's being kind and assuming you started on 0.
  • Options
    Vice_torn wrote: »
    Yes you could have gotten revan as FTP without panic farming... But that would have taking spending 700c a day as soon as the toons appeared on nodes... So finishing top In both arenas or having crystals saved. In either case as FTP you would need to commit early to finish the farm.

Same is true for dark revan.... If Bastila fallen is needed you need to be refreshing her node twice to finish her in time.

Spending 700c per day was not enough to get Revan f2p. It required gambling (and winning) on the faction packs, buying lots of shipment shards, or buying character shard packs to supplement the 700c per day.
  • Options
    jkray622 wrote: »

Spending 700c per day was not enough to get Revan f2p. It required gambling (and winning) on the faction packs, buying lots of shipment shards, or buying character shard packs to supplement the 700c per day.

Debatable. You should be finished Canderous before Juhani and Carth are released, then you have the same time frame. Should be taking 4 refreshes on Bastilla and ignoring everything else on a LS/DS node. Otherwise yes, you'll have to spend a fortune.
  • Options
    Reyalp wrote: »
    jkray622 wrote: »

Debatable. You should be finished Canderous before Juhani and Carth are released, then you have the same time frame. Should be taking 4 refreshes on Bastilla and ignoring everything else on a LS/DS node. Otherwise yes, you'll have to spend a fortune.

I'm talking about the original Jedi Knight Revan farm. I was spending 8-900c per day on character refreshes, and still had to drop about 15k banked crystals and $30 to get him.

For the (anticipated) Darth Revan farm, I'm at about 20/100 for Canderous and 25/85 for Hot Topic Bastila, and I'm sitting on a bunch of banked crystals in case we get little time for Carth and Juhani.
  • Reyalp
    738 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Remember at the end of the day, meta's rarely return.

DS Revan will be the new cats pyjamas.

Personally, I wouldn't burst a gut trying to get the requirements for the falcon, 3po etc unless it's purely for collection purposes. By the time the event returns they will have been superseded by something else.

Unless you're a kracken, then you really do need to prioritize. But don't blame the Devs cause you want it all and aren't willing to pay :D