Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• I think the rewards are quite good. I have a need for everything in the rewards, plus GA is a fun game mode anyway.
  • I agree with both of those statements. As someone who has a decently narrow account, 2m and I have traya and revan. Grand arena has been a joke so far. 1 account from 2 full grand arenas might give me a bit of a challenge but I still haven't lost a single match up yet. 15-20m in hsr but I am absolutely garbage at TB. No one in my guild seems to say anything about it though. Is it balance comparing the two? Grand arena competency will almost 100% transfer to territory wars too so it's not just tb vs ga. I honestly don't know how they could make it better, who ever said let me not pick the ones that you aren't using to reduce fluff? I am sure that works in your head but I would just remove fluff to. Drop down to exactly only the teams I would use in the arena and that's it, than it becomes a mod battle, which is actually where I think the real deciding factor lies, not in roster or gp. As I am sure those who have recently earned Revan and realised that it doesn't just mean instant 1st place. if you don't have competitive mods you probably didn't get a big a boost as you thought. Just caught up to the outskirts of the established revans.
  • Droideka wrote: »
    mwigor wrote: »
    A simple solution for fixing matchmaking is to have it based on GP deployed or activated. During day 1 (when all you have to do is register at the moment) you would have the option to choose which of your units/ships you wanted to have available for the duration of the GA. Matchmaking would be based only on the GP included. Someone shouldn't be penalised for investments made in toons and/or ships which they have no intention of using in GA.
    Characters with fluff rosters get rewarded in TB but get penalized in GA. It seems balanced.

The advantage in TB of an extra 10k toon is minimal or nil - most serious guilds are getting 45/47 stars now
  • This is the most brain dead layout I have ever seen. The ship territory is in the back and very irrelevant, because it is in the hardest to reach territory. Grand Arena is back to punishing players who focuses on ships, because what good are these ship territory if you need the ground teams to reach them first?
  • It also screwed up my defenses, because I assumed the bottom right territory was the ship territory before deploying my squads.
  • Pays to check each territory before rushing into anything.
    Yeah. I was looking at the ship territory and wondering why it had a big circle and was worth 3 more points than the territory below it. Figured it was because the top one was harder to get to. Luckily my first round opponent only has one g12 character and a handful of zetas, so my mistake on defense is not likely going to cost me this round.
  • So Grand Arena is now 1v1 TW and just like squad and fleet arena. Its just lame. I wish EA would do something creative. New modes of play can help those of us who don’t have highly tuned squads for SA and FA, or Revan, etc. I don’t see the point of GA now that it is just a mini TW.. I guess its for the rewards.
  • DigitalOz wrote: »
    So Grand Arena is now 1v1 TW and just like squad and fleet arena. Its just lame. I wish EA would do something creative. New modes of play can help those of us who don’t have highly tuned squads for SA and FA, or Revan, etc. I don’t see the point of GA now that it is just a mini TW.. I guess its for the rewards.

Exactly , ooh look i get to fight the same teams for 3 rounds yay
  • As long as they keep giving rewards for 8th place I'll keep showing up, collecting and bloating my roster cause....reasons...
  • Droideka wrote: »
    This is the most brain dead layout I have ever seen. The ship territory is in the back and very irrelevant, because it is in the hardest to reach territory. Grand Arena is back to punishing players who focuses on ships, because what good are these ship territory if you need the ground teams to reach them first?

I believe matchmaking is, as much as possible, done separately on both character GP and ship GP, i.e. you'll be matched with people who have the same ratio of character to ship GP as you do. Most people in my current league have almost identical points in both. I've focused on ships quite heavily (regularly #1 on my shard - or I was until OT Falcon anyway :D) and I am not at a disadvantage in GA any more.

The ship zone being in the rear just adds a layer of strategy. For instance, I've put my strongest two defensive teams in the lower zone and also kept a couple of strong teams for offense, knowing that if they punch through the just-about-ok teams I've set to defend my top row, my ships will definitely hold. Whereas I have the firepower to take their top row entirely because I've saved some good teams for offense and then I will take their ship zone too. I have enough ship power to both defend and attack with confidence, so I am going to win.

• Rebel73 wrote: »
    Droideka wrote: »
    This is the most brain dead layout I have ever seen. The ship territory is in the back and very irrelevant, because it is in the hardest to reach territory. Grand Arena is back to punishing players who focuses on ships, because what good are these ship territory if you need the ground teams to reach them first?

I believe matchmaking is, as much as possible, done separately on both character GP and ship GP, i.e. you'll be matched with people who have the same ratio of character to ship GP as you do. Most people in my current league have almost identical points in both. I've focused on ships quite heavily (regularly #1 on my shard - or I was until OT Falcon anyway :D) and I am not at a disadvantage in GA any more.

The ship zone being in the rear just adds a layer of strategy. For instance, I've put my strongest two defensive teams in the lower zone and also kept a couple of strong teams for offense, knowing that if they punch through the just-about-ok teams I've set to defend my top row, my ships will definitely hold. Whereas I have the firepower to take their top row entirely because I've saved some good teams for offense and then I will take their ship zone too. I have enough ship power to both defend and attack with confidence, so I am going to win.
    I don’t think it does it ratio wise. I am currently #27 in fleets. Someone in my grand arena is currently #9. We both have good fleets with Hound’s Tooth. Then we have a player at rank #276, who only has one 7 star ship (Consular’s starfighter). They clearly have way more character GP than anyone else because they neglected fleets. It may seem that it does matchmaking based on both fleet gp and character gp, but that is just because most players are not dumb enough to ignore ships. But the ones that are get a leg up in arena. Luckily players like this do not have many zetas as a result of not doing ship.

I’d love to know how you know your ships will “definitely hold”....

• So I missed this round of Grand Arena. Would it be possible to throw up a notice somewhere else besides just having to click on the GA table everyday to see if there is one?
  • UdalCuain
    4991 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Whatelse73 wrote: »
    So I missed this round of Grand Arena. Would it be possible to throw up a notice somewhere else besides just having to click on the GA table everyday to see if there is one?

There was the button on the home screen:
    l0lluoccv4dx.jpg

• Whatelse73 wrote: »
    So I missed this round of Grand Arena. Would it be possible to throw up a notice somewhere else besides just having to click on the GA table everyday to see if there is one?

How about the monthly calendar? I know it's sometimes revised, but this one has been known for a while.

And I know that I sound like a broken record on this one, but if your guild uses an out of game chat app, my guild regularly talks strategies, etc... well before the signup period is over.
  • FolsomTony wrote: »

How about the monthly calendar? I know it's sometimes revised, but this one has been known for a while.

And I know that I sound like a broken record on this one, but if your guild uses an out of game chat app, my guild regularly talks strategies, etc... well before the signup period is over.

Yeah thanks, I just missed that because there were 3 other buttons so I missed it because I didn't read the grand arena part. So much other stuff happening at once threw me off.

Ah well.
  • @CG_SBCrumb are you going to make some changes to loot for this event, this time its even more worthless then last time. Ppl dont fight because the loot is not worth the time, it dos not matter much if you go 1 or 2-4, even 5-6 is close to 1.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Rebel73 wrote: »

Nope. It is based on total GP without regard to the fleet/squad breakdown. I know that because I analyzed it for the two 3v3 squad-only GAs. The spread in total GP across my brackets was a fraction of one percent while the spread in squad GP was up to 45%.

According to the latest official road ahead post, future squad-only GAs will be matched on character GP rather that total GP.
    The ship zone being in the front adds a layer of strategy.

It's soooooooooooooooooo much fun knowing if you won or lost before you play the GAME... if you lost... no sense playing....no reason to set defense.... gimmie my 8th place rewards.... enjoy your awesome wins..GG QQ
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Nope. It is based on total GP without regard to the fleet/squad breakdown. I know that because I analyzed it for the two 3v3 squad-only GAs. The spread in total GP across my brackets was a fraction of one percent while the spread in squad GP was up to 45%.

According to the latest official road ahead post, future squad-only GAs will be matched on character GP rather that total GP.

I do agree IT SHOULD be mixxed up.... Ship people get rewarded by having 2 areas opponent cannot take. And when it's in the back with revan/traya in front there are 2 areas the ship guy cannot take....

Always in the back is plain stupid IMO
  • Whatelse73 wrote: »
    FolsomTony wrote: »

Yeah thanks, I just missed that because there were 3 other buttons so I missed it because I didn't read the grand arena part. So much other stuff happening at once threw me off.

Ah well.

Same - except I knew GA was happening, but saw the TW notification and thought both deployment phases lined up, so assigned no defense teams. I really wish they would run on either the same schedule or at completely different times.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • I have only one wish. Can you please publish photos of programmers? I will print them, nail on the wall and worship like demi-gods. Algorithm to find 8 closest numbers is imposible to build, its holy grail, but they did it. And call it “matchmaking” is simple brilliant. Thank you!
  • I do not have Revan nor am I going to spend hundreds of dollars just to get him. Grand Arena really sucks when my opponent did spend the dollars to get him. It's an automatic loss for me.
  • I'm tired of coming up against people who don't set a defense. They just join because why wouldn't they? Free last place rewards for one button push.

How about a change to the reward structure?
    Instead of getting first and second etc place rewards, increase the reward for clearing a territory. Add a reward for clearing all territories. Also get a reward for any defense team that took more than 1 attack to get beaten. Get rewards for playing, is what I'm saying here.

Take away the reason to sign up, but not play. That way people who actually like it and enjoy playing get rewarded.
  • W00kiemonster
    138 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    This is easily the event I hate the most. It’s too boring, one or two rams and set up make all the difference, and unlike normal tb there aren’t enough other players involved to get around the potential parity of two opponents.

I will lose because my opponent can beat one of my teams and I cannot beat one of his. It’s silly.

It’s a nice idea but not even remotely fun in practice for 5 on 5. At least 3 on 3 forces some creative use of toons but even that’s becoming more standardized. The computer can just re-set my defenses and if I see an opening I’ll attack otherwise I don’t care anymore.
  • YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Finally FINALLY I get my first bye.... man I thought I would never get the free win so many people whine and cry about... NOT ME BABY...

Gimmie those modulators !!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you sir !
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    I'm tired of coming up against people who don't set a defense. They just join because why wouldn't they? Free last place rewards for one button push.

How about a change to the reward structure?
    Instead of getting first and second etc place rewards, increase the reward for clearing a territory. Add a reward for clearing all territories. Also get a reward for any defense team that took more than 1 attack to get beaten. Get rewards for playing, is what I'm saying here.

Take away the reason to sign up, but not play. That way people who actually like it and enjoy playing get rewarded.

meh...

You just guaranteed yourself an omega and 25 gold eyballs that you cannot spend anyway because the 60 salvage are impossible to get anymore basically half a 6 star mod.....nope sorry sir....

I just got my first bye and am enjoying it.

You will be facing a winner in the next match and if your not so overpowered that he has 0% chance of winning you will get your fun matchs in the next two rounds....

For me I'm happy I'm not getting last place in a bracket where that was a distinct possiblity

I don't think they can ever fix the matchmaking to a point where some of the matches do not have predetermined outcomes especially in round 1..... If i have no chance of winning why waste my time onto round 2..... I think if the dev's just gave people who want to embarass people their "credits" it would solve a lot of issues....if quests are your concerns.... you will get them eventually your not dropping 50 places overnight in arena cause you aint gettin your portrait
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Streve wrote: »
    I do not have Revan nor am I going to spend hundreds of dollars just to get him. Grand Arena really sucks when my opponent did spend the dollars to get him. It's an automatic loss for me.

He's free.. There was more than enough time to get him.. You're not doing something right if that's your complaint.
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

I hate ships, I would totally be against this. Battles take too long and are very rng heavy even between very similar matchups imo.
    I could get behind ships being on a separate row tho, so nothing is blocked or can 'hide'
  • ANH
    25 posts Member
    Dear CG,
    GA is by far my favorite mode in the game. So, thanks for that!
    That said, a few months back, you told us you were going to fix the situation when people failed to set defenses. You even released something along these lines but pulled it back.
    One of the reasons GA is so great is the chance to strategize your battles on offense, but when the opponent takes that away from you by not setting defense, they destroy half of the fun of the mode. Besides, they steal your shot at $600k+ of tokens.
    When can we expect auto-defense to be implemented?
    Thanks!