Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Bigjmusic wrote: »
    Why is it so hard in grand arena the teams are unfair and unbalanced I face teams that seem to cheat and are super hard to beat any nightsister team seems to be a huge cheat it's garbage that you kill nightsister zombie and mother tarza and they come back to health with full strength makes playing grand arena VERY UNFAIR it also makes me think of what the heck y'all actually do there cuz there's a lot of players profile and characters when u face them seem to be super unfair or it feels like you been cheated

Edited for language. - EA_Cian
    Sounds like you need to focus on gearing and modding your top teams more.
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Why is it so hard in grand arena the teams are unfair and unbalanced I face teams that seem to cheat and are super hard to beat any nightsister team seems to be a huge cheat it's garbage that you kill nightsister zombie and mother tarza and they come back to health with full strength makes playing grand arena VERY UNFAIR it also makes me think of what the heck y'all actually do there cuz there's a lot of players profile and characters when u face them seem to be super unfair or it feels like you been cheated

your correct.

So let's say he stops, evaluates his rosters, adds 6 more G12 only to his rosters no fluff, all the best mods he can focus farm....

what exactly has he accomplished ? He has accomplished the goal set out, laser focus, making his roster better taking the full advice of the forum, he has succeeded in his goal and did what everyone told him to do.

But it still means nothing because he is still getting matched up with people that have 46 more G12 characters than him.... There is a point where it becomes "what's the point"

He is now a better player, a better roster but as far as GA is concerned he will always end up in last as long as matchups are created with at 40+G12 deficit
  • Dk_rek wrote: »

your correct.

So let's say he stops, evaluates his rosters, adds 6 more G12 only to his rosters no fluff, all the best mods he can focus farm....

what exactly has he accomplished ? He has accomplished the goal set out, laser focus, making his roster better taking the full advice of the forum, he has succeeded in his goal and did what everyone told him to do.

But it still means nothing because he is still getting matched up with people that have 46 more G12 characters than him.... There is a point where it becomes "what's the point"

He is now a better player, a better roster but as far as GA is concerned he will always end up in last as long as matchups are created with at 40+G12 deficit

My case, it's me.
    j5dub5arepvr.png

It's my opponent.
    hchmv4a50d55.png

What happened? The obvious, at least to me but not to the dev team.
    nbzjnsci6yzv.png

Looks like 333.876 GP does make some difference right CG? What do you think devs? Let me know WHY until now, after months of GA release it wasn't fixed? Why should I set up deffenses? I should set no deffenses at least the guy fighting with me will have problems to get his points. It sounds like a plane to me in the next phase.
  • GP alone could be used for matchmaking. But I think that the fundamental problem is that it’s not calculated the right way. An Ugnaught at 11K GP doesn’t have the same utility as Revan at 11K GP. Three Geonosians at 7K don’t have the same utility as a CLS at 21K. So any long-term fix for matchmaking has to address this.

Also, they really should let players decide which characters they want to count for matchmaking. It would allow us to keep characters in intermediate stages of development without getting penalized, and it would allow us all to rock an otherwise useless, purely symbolic G12+ Ugnaught. And isn’t that the real dream?
  • Put my best teams on defense, so does my opponent. I barely have anything left on offense. Opponent walks through my defense with ease, killing everything in one try. Two matches in, I really don't have the toons to put any significant dent in any remaining defenses. GA is becoming less and less interesting.
  • GP alone could be used for matchmaking. But I think that the fundamental problem is that it’s not calculated the right way. An Ugnaught at 11K GP doesn’t have the same utility as Revan at 11K GP. Three Geonosians at 7K don’t have the same utility as a CLS at 21K. So any long-term fix for matchmaking has to address this.
    As Kyno has stated on various occasions, GP represents resources invested in a character, not the individual character's power.

Unfortunately there really isn't an easy way to estimate a character's combat power because it depends on factors like abilities, squad composition and player / AI choices.
  • Suprème_Lèader_Tsao
    122 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    As Kyno has stated on various occasions, GP represents resources invested in a character, not the individual character's power.

Unfortunately there really isn't an easy way to estimate a character's combat power because it depends on factors like abilities, squad composition and player / AI choices.

True, true. I’ll agree with all of that. But it’s a problem when many of the newest features in the game rely on a calculation and a comparison that most people admit are somewhat impossible to do.

But honestly, I think that letting players choose which characters on their roster they want to count would help with about 50% of the matchmaking problems. And the other 50%? Well, that might just be a question of letting battle data better determine a character’s value... like squads with this character in their composition win on attack this percentage of the time and on defense this percentage, etc.
  • Bosske2018
    8 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Dk_rek wrote: »

your correct.

What has happened is he got his squad closer to competing and over time he will have as good as a roster as others. I have a laser focus squad not because of GA but because when I started I didnt see the point in leveling up characters to 50/gear 7/ability 3 just because. I leveled up the toons I see they have a purpose. So when I started I made a empire/rebel/arena teams. Once I got light and dark side battles done, I stopped and only focused on arena team. Example is Royal Guard. I have them at lvl 50, gear 5, ability 3 because he got replaced in my dark side battle team. I kept him there for almost a year but now will level him due to emperor shuttle. I never saw the point of building a roster that you would never use them in any situation.

Now even with me being laser focus of building my roster since GA I already replaced 3 teams. I am soon going to replace a fourth team once my ewoks are leveled up. So my advice to anyone who wants to try to compete is this. Look at your roster of the 10 best teams you can make. Mark them 1-10. Focus on making your top 5 teams better as you will be replacing the bottom of your roster as new metas come out. Eventually you will get competitive with your people in your shard. For example I never had ewoks on my roster but to unlock c3po i have to spend loads of resources in them. So they will replace one of my lower teams that still have gear 7. Dont waste resources on the teams that you see being replaced in the future. Also think of teams that will be competitive in the future.
    Post edited by Bosske2018 on
  • Chima wrote: »

your correct.

My case, it's me.
    j5dub5arepvr.png

It's my opponent.
    hchmv4a50d55.png

nbzjnsci6yzv.png

Looks like 333.876 GP does make some difference right CG? What do you think devs? Let me know WHY until now, after months of GA release it wasn't fixed? Why should I set up deffenses? I should set no deffenses at least the guy fighting with me will have problems to get his points. It sounds like a plane to me in the next phase.

IMO, more teams to set on D and a different map would allow your depth to come into play. This is about resource mgmt. You chose a wide range of toons, and he chose to go narrow. I dont see the problem, the matchmaking today is unbiased (and should be) on how people spent their resources.

No different than when DSTB came out. I was completely unprepared since i concentrated on LS. Does thatmean i should ask the developers to make the DSTB easier for me?

Now you know what you need to do next.
  • We are also considering rebalancing what kinds of rewards you would get as mods and mod salvage are incredibly important for bringing your team’s power up to the next level of competition.The logic being that the rewards you earn from a competitive mode should help you do better the next time you dive into that mode.

Sounds like rewards are going to be much worse. Bring back stun guns and other useful prizes. I can farm the mod stuff much easier than stun guns, golden eye balls etc.

Also, for the love of god, if it’s a character only GA, use the character GP, not combine it with ships. Having a 3-400k disadvantage is not ‘fun’.
    Where are the Stun Guns?
  • Degs29
    360 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Glad they're adding more GA events, but I'm concerned about the reward nerf. TBH, I think the rewards are too shy right now. Going to more events, but keeping the rewards at the current level, would be perfect!

I also think the GA matchmaking needs to exclude ship GP when ships aren't in the match, as many have pointed out.

Other than those two items, great work on this mode!
  • More GA is fine.
  • Personally I don't care for more upgrade mats. I don't need so many g12 exclusive mods.
    However, some beefy speed mods would be nice.

I'd appreciate more of ultra-gear-hogs salvages such as stun guns, carbanties and stun cuffs.
    Also G12 needed purple gear usch as MK 6 Athakam Medpac, MK 7 Nubian Tech and MK 7 CEC Fusion Furnace.
  • Love more GA - do not love the hint at a rewards nerf that just means we must do more work / events for the same amount of loot. There's a balance here and CG always seems to bias on the side of taking from the player more. I fear this will be another case of community asking for something in a certain spirit and it getting spun back in our faces in a negative fashion. For heaves sake, at least keep the mod rewards the same - getting 6* is incredibly difficult and costly / slow and we need a ton of them. Too often it's a hand shake with one hand and a slap with the other.....
  • I understand that they need to re-tune the rewards to accommodate for more frequent GAs, but that doesn't change the time we put into the event.

I would hate to see the rewards cut in half for twice as many GAs. I would much rather see more disparity between top and bottom rewards. Right now salvage is give out in tiers of 50/35x3/25x3/10 for a total of 240 salvage given out per GA. If they have out the salvage as 50/25x3/5x3/0 for a total of 140 salvage, it would be just as exciting to win, but would roughly equal the total amount of salvage given out.

This coming from someone who has only won 1 GA.
  • How to make GA fun? How about competitive matchmaking?

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/541762082081734683/550471749385453569/Capture.JPG?width=407&height=610

Facing off against people twice your size every single round is not fun.
  • Who asked for more grand arena? That event consumes so much time, is truly boring and the matchmaking process is poor. Maybe if you started counting in secondary speed stats on mods into matchmaking, the presence or absence of meta characters and rework GP to more fairly account for competitiveness then this mode might not be the infuriating mess that it is currently.

I really hope you stop running these events alongside Territory Wars as having the two concurrently running is WAY too much time to juggle for those of us with real-life demands.
  • LukeDukem8 wrote: »
    Chima wrote: »

your correct.

My case, it's me.
    j5dub5arepvr.png

It's my opponent.
    hchmv4a50d55.png

nbzjnsci6yzv.png

IMO, more teams to set on D and a different map would allow your depth to come into play. This is about resource mgmt. You chose a wide range of toons, and he chose to go narrow. I dont see the problem, the matchmaking today is unbiased (and should be) on how people spent their resources.

No different than when DSTB came out. I was completely unprepared since i concentrated on LS. Does thatmean i should ask the developers to make the DSTB easier for me?

Now you know what you need to do next.

Clearly, you don't know what you are talking about.
    The problem is the matchmaking is being calculated considering CHARACTERS + FLEET and on this GA we don't have any FLEET battle.
    333.876 GP difference between CHARACTERS GP is too much to handle. If you are doing an event that you will NOT add fleet, the matchmaking must be made only considering characters, isn't too hard to understand it.

I didn't see any note from the devs to fix it in the last announcement. Now every GA is being a problem because the people that put resources on the fleet is only being ***ked.
  • Please don't make the rewards worse. As we have said many times, the rewards need overall improvement. You spend hours and hours doing these events to get 1 salvage type and sometimes only 4 omegas. I love the game type, but I don't want to get less reward for putting more time into the event.
  • I would hate to see the rewards cut in half for twice as many GAs.

If they are going to cut in a half the rewards they can keep as is. I don't want to spend twice the time for the same rewards. Doesn't make any sense to me. Keep as is then if you are not going to reward my time spent.

TWICE THE TIME? TWICE THE REWARDS OR KEEP AS IS.

• I understand that they need to re-tune the rewards to accommodate for more frequent GAs, but that doesn't change the time we put into the event.
    +1
  • Let me preface this by saying that grand arena is my favorite game mode. Having to strategize to beat an entire roster's worth of quality teams is very entertaining and I'm thrilled that I'll get to play this game mode more often.

That said, if you want my input on rewards, CG, here it is: why is it necessary to nerf them? Honestly, the GA rewards *right now* aren't very good. They don't include any G12+ gear, which is the real draw of the high level game modes. They're certainly not game breaking, and the difference between first and second to last isn't that large. Is doubling the rewards going to unbalance the game? Definitely not. So I hope these don't get nerfed, because having an *even smaller* difference between first and last or next to last is going to dampen the fun of this mode a bit.

I mean, I'll still play it. But it will be frustrating to spend several hours planning and executing attacks only to be rewarded with like 20 carbantis and a zeta mat.
  • I don't like the method of requiring more teams with higher and higher GP value. It is a ton of extra time required to do the battles for GA. It feels like a penalty that eats up more real life time. Right now it is working out to 33 battles over the GA event. Checking teams, speeds etc I'm already burnt out.

I would like to see maybe all GP levels require the same number of battles but each phase only have certain factions active so it's not just all arena meta teams that you face.
  • The reason I don't like Grand Arena is the time involved.....WAY too long
  • I agree with a lot of other players here. I enjoy GA and love the mode but to have you cut the rewards in half defeats the purpose. We enjoy playing GA but it doesnt make sense from a player stand point to play GA 4 times a month for the same rewards you were getting in 2 GA. So either leave the rewards the same or leave it at 2 GA a month.
  • I love Grand Arena and happy to see it will come more frequent! I like once a week personally for Grand Arena! I do like mod salvage being apart of the rewards as it’s the best place to get it and I use mods the most In this game mode so it fits the flavor.
    IGN: RANKMAN
    Line: xSNAKEMAN
  • Fantastic news... More GA... Exactly what my level of frustration needs. The matchmaking sucks. I really can't find the words to describe just how much it sucks, at least in a way that would be acceptable. In the same GA I either face people I walk over with no hope for them or people that trash me mercilessly.

The match making gives me a brief glimmer of hope and smashes me in the face with a brick. Similar rosters... what a load of garbage.

Fine. You want to have it more often. Well I hope the opponent likes the Uggy defense cause that is all I am putting on defense ever again. Actually the match making makes sense. EA did take a patent out for the feed back loop, force player to face something powerful they don't have, if they buy it match them with someone it will trash, if they didn't keep punishing them till they buy it. Slightly more cynical but they do have that patent...

Welp hot trash defense of 1 unit in a squad and one squad per zone coming up for all future GAs.
  • OneWorldAway
    545 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Love grand arena, think it's fantastic. Love the changes and updates coming. Personally I don't enjoy 3v3 as much because it seems to be more RNG prone.
  • So my guild hasn't won a Territory War (TW) in a very long time. Can you not tie Quest related things to Guild activities? I need to win 3 TW's to complete the Sith Agent Quest and I am currently at 0 out of 3. My guild is not goid at TW. TW may be my least favorite part of the game. Anyway, I don't want to leave my guild at this time but I do want to complete the Quest. Let the Quests be about what the individual can achieve and not be dependent on the guild.