Update on Droideka in Phase 3 of the Sith Triumvirate Raid [MEGA] [MERGE]

Replies

• Options
    I would believe that there is no testing except by the community after the character has been released. If they did any testing it was probably just in missions. The HSR is the Holy Grail and no character or squad of characters will be allowed to diminish the difficulty of this raid.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    ... nvrmnd why bother
  • Options
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Testing is not magic.

Nor is it rocket science to know that this is a dev account since you’ve literally never held them accountable for their horrible mistakes, especially lately.

CG YaeVizsla
  • Options
    Never been happier to have turned FTP after Revanue. Thanks for confirming that was the right decision, CG! Sure won’t be returning to spending anytime soon when half what you release gets nerfed immediately after it makes your precious dull Sith Raid less mind numbing. Wonder how Revanue II: The Spend for the Sith will get nerfed lolololol.
  • Options
    Testing is not magic.

To CG it might seem to be...just like an airplane to a caveman.....
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    Testing is not magic.

Nor is it rocket science to know that this is a dev account since you’ve literally never held them accountable for their horrible mistakes, especially lately.
    Ah, the good ol' CG shill card

Very useful when you are stuck in an argument with no rebuttal and refusing to admit defeat
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    Testing is not magic.

Ah, the good ol' CG shill card

Very useful when you are stuck in an argument with no rebuttal and refusing to admit defeat

Did I use the word shill? Or did I point out a very obvious truth that no matter what misstep the team has made, he never holds them accountable and always has an excuse for them. Look at his comments and my point will be proven.

Want a rebuttal? The development team has consistently proved they are bad at testing. The team has character releases planned out months and months if not a year or two in advance, depending on the character. They have time to develop and test these characters and you’d think one of the biggest priorities would be to test reactions with their Sith Raid where the majority of these issues arise. How many nerfs/reworks need to be done due to new characters and the interactions with their flawed raid? Testing with the raid should’ve been priority one once Critolye happened. Some may even argue that it should’ve started ramping up with the Sth debacle.

I don’t play the shill card. If someone is always, and I do mean always sticking up for CG no matter the mistake, I’ll call them out on it. But don’t mistake me pointing out an obvious fact as calling someone a shill.
  • Options
    Testing is not magic.

What "horrible" mistakes?

All I've heard lately is little stuff being blown way out of proportion.
    Still not a he.
  • Options
    Testing is not magic.

It’s not way out of proportion to expect that the devs would test new releases in HSR since all the problems have been coming from there recently.

1. Traya acolyte - HSR P3
    2. Paper zombie - HSR p3/4
    3. Fin3po - HSR P3
    4. Droideka - HSR P3

See a pattern there?
  • Options
    One word springs to mind.. "ooops". I wonder how much longer they can justify blaming whatever hero skill etc, instead of shutting down the Sith Raid. I think with each issue (And they are starting to pile up) they get perilously close to reaching the inevitable question of "Is the raid worth this constant barage of upset, and endless hero reworking?" Survey says: "No".
    Constant barrage of hero reworking?

So far, we've had...

Zombie. And paper zombie was a problem in her own right independent of the raid.

Acolyte. A rework purely for the Sith raid.

Finn. Not landed yet, but I'll count it. But zFinn is a problem in his own right independent of the raid.

ST Han/Bonds interaction was not a rework. Reducing expose damage was not a rework. Fixing this glitch will not be a rework.

So unless I'm missing anything, that's three in a year. Only one of them purely because of the Sith raid.

Paper zombie opened the door for intelligent theory crafting and multiple different ways to use nightsisters. Coming up with creative ways to use characters should not be an issue because it makes the game more fun

zFinn was out forever before this raid and there was no issue with him until C3P0 came out and allowed players to solo phase 3 of the raid

None of the long term mechanics should be considered issues. The real issue is that they dont properly test characters and then nerf them because of some "loop" in the sith raid

+1 and the fact that the devs are weirdly obsessed with the goal that on day 892 since the raid released it must remain as tediously difficult as it was on day 1.

I get changes because it's a legit bug like assiting when it shouldn'tbe able to assist. But 3p0 and zombie were legit mechanics WAI no different than the legit WAI loops CLS mechanics cause in the pit raid.

The devs need to start distinguishing between mechanics WAI just not as they anticipated and actual glitches where things happen that shouldn't. The nature of power creep they created along with rube goldberg levels of kit complexity inherently mean infinite loops are going to happen. It just conveys that their priorities are all wrong when they hit toons with nerf bats rather than conceding that their "future proof" raid goals are unachievable.
  • Options
    Testing is not magic.

To me, it is lots of little things combined, many of which could of either been avoided, or handled post them becoming an issue much more smoothly.

The one that got me most irked was the changing of the ship energy pack availability from daily to just once during the palpatine ship event. It wasn't the fact that it was just once, it was the sneaky way they went about announcing it was daily, then later only correcting it in the opening post of the original thread without creating a new thread or posting an in-game notice. Many people only realised on the second day when they went to buy the second ship energy pack. I could believe it was an honest mistake combined with poor communication, if it wasn't for the other things (other things including severely overselling the droid changes, not refunding Finn's zeta, changing the marquee pack prices in a very obvious money grab etc)

Each of these things individually could be overlooked. Collectively they point to either gross incompetence or a corporate intention to deceive, mislead and subsequently profiteer from this behaviour.
  • Options
    Testing is not magic.

It’s not way out of proportion to expect that the devs would test new releases in HSR since all the problems have been coming from there recently.

3. Fin3po - HSR P3
    4. Droideka - HSR P3

See a pattern there?

Lol. Nah, they will keep changing toons instead of changing P3 😀😀😀
  • FailingCrab
    1155 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Testing is not magic.

3. Fin3po - HSR P3
    4. Droideka - HSR P3

See a pattern there?

1. Why on Earth would you expect the devs to have tested a Traya/Qi'ra/Acolyte combo with a set of specific moves on a specific phase of the raid? That team was some genius level theorycrafting imo
    2. You're right that this was precipitated by the STR, but I don't see the zombie changes as a nerf. It improved NS' PvP viability (at least in my shard) and I can still do 50% of Nihilus on a decent run. It just eliminated a couple of very cheesy mechanics.
    3. Again an unusual team combination with a mix of rebels and resistance, but I agree that someone should have thought to examine how c3's expose mechanics would interact with Finn. I'm guessing they thought zFinn teams already got into infinite loops in most scenarios and thought Traya's stacking tenacity would be enough.
    4. No way is this a nerf, this is obviously a bug fix. It doesn't affect any other game mode so I don't see what there is to get so irate about.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Options

Relax francis[/quote]

jco586ylqowc.jpeg

What a wonderful throwback.
  • Options

3. Fin3po - HSR P3
    4. Droideka - HSR P3

See a pattern there?
    I agree with FailingCrab. These are things that can get through a good faith testing program.

But your implication of a pattern?

Those are four character changes- two not even in the game yet, and one purely and obviously a bug fix- in a year. Really only three that have any impact outside the raid. That's not much.

The "pattern" is that this is a pretty stable game.
    Still not a he.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    The "pattern" is that this is a pretty stable game.

Most games follow an established methodology. Heavy, Medium, Light classes. This way you can establish parameters that can be tested. This is not 100% fool proof, but ignoring it and trying to attract players that do not want to learn their class, just throw money at the problem, and are fine with no balance as long as it's in their favor, is problematic to say the least. If recurring issues happen they can check scenarios to try and diminish their recurrence. To be fair being forced to push out content long before it is ready is a fact of life in online games. Stable? Nope. Then factor in an average of a 2 year lifespan of employment, the bulk of the gifted coders being released at launch or shortly there after, and you have a system that is anything but stable. Many question how much effort will really be applied if they know they have a sell by date.

All this aside, all developers live by one carved in stone rule. The fastest way to find a bug, is upload and go live. Never fails. Myself included.
    Post edited by DuneSeaFarmer on
  • Options
    Sith raid was never fun.

It's never going to be.

Just stop - move on to new content.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Options
    They don't always test their code, something something in production...
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Options
    With all the money CG is making you would think they could afford to hire some actual testers. But it is 100% evident that they aren't hiring any testers. But I think they need new management instead first. You all are looking pretty pathetic right now.
    Even with larger studios and testers, unintended interactions happen. Even in games that have a singular final product, there will be unintended interactions. In games that are continuously updated, you cannot have that same single testing battery for the entire product, and more slips through. For small studios, you can't afford the same amount of testing, so more slips through.

LinkedIn lists Capital Games as 51-200 employees. Let's assume 200 employees. Now, let's assume they are adding a new feature, and every one of those 200 employees spent nine to five non-stop testing a new feature for an entire five day work week. Not developing. Not doing other stuff. Just testing the finalized version. That's 8000 man-hours.

And that's not just trying to break the raid or topple the arena meta. That's full testing, including base functionality (does this basic that applies tenacity up to a random ally with a 50% chance to attack again once per round actually do what it says), and using the team against a selection of relevant non-meta teams like hunters or first order, which diverts some portion of those 8000 hours from things like toppling the meta or breaking the raid.

If they hired out one thousand testers to test a single game element forty hours a week for two weeks, that's 80,000 man-hours of testing, and not remotely a reasonable standard to expect from a studio that size.

r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes has 55,000 subscribers, and is a small portion of the active user base. Let's say just 20% of them actively engage the new content, whether directly or indirectly. That outstrips the man-hours of the thousand testers in an afternoon. It's not that the playerbase is consistently smarter than the devs. It's that the playerbase can cloud source breaking things.

A blanket "test more" is not the answer, especially for a small studio and can never match the man-hours the player base will pour into breaking things. The perfect is the enemy of the good, and the done. Things getting released in an imperfect state then fixed means we get more quality content in a timely manner, with some speed bumps along the way, and that's a worthwhile tradeoff.

Testing on this game has been alright by any reasonable standard. This Droideka splat is one of the first truly questionable ones in a while.
    With all the money CG is making you would think they could afford to hire some actual testers. But it is 100% evident that they aren't hiring any testers. But I think they need new management instead first. You all are looking pretty pathetic right now.
    Even with larger studios and testers, unintended interactions happen. Even in games that have a singular final product, there will be unintended interactions. In games that are continuously updated, you cannot have that same single testing battery for the entire product, and more slips through. For small studios, you can't afford the same amount of testing, so more slips through.

LinkedIn lists Capital Games as 51-200 employees. Let's assume 200 employees. Now, let's assume they are adding a new feature, and every one of those 200 employees spent nine to five non-stop testing a new feature for an entire five day work week. Not developing. Not doing other stuff. Just testing the finalized version. That's 8000 man-hours.

And that's not just trying to break the raid or topple the arena meta. That's full testing, including base functionality (does this basic that applies tenacity up to a random ally with a 50% chance to attack again once per round actually do what it says), and using the team against a selection of relevant non-meta teams like hunters or first order, which diverts some portion of those 8000 hours from things like toppling the meta or breaking the raid.

If they hired out one thousand testers to test a single game element forty hours a week for two weeks, that's 80,000 man-hours of testing, and not remotely a reasonable standard to expect from a studio that size.

I certainly hope they aren’t manually testing an application in today’s world. Automated tests are the norm for most businesses, and require very little human interaction if any.
  • Smidday
    134 posts Member
    Options

r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes has 55,000 subscribers, and is a small portion of the active user base. Let's say just 20% of them actively engage the new content, whether directly or indirectly. That outstrips the man-hours of the thousand testers in an afternoon. It's not that the playerbase is consistently smarter than the devs. It's that the playerbase can cloud source breaking things.

A blanket "test more" is not the answer, especially for a small studio and can never match the man-hours the player base will pour into breaking things. The perfect is the enemy of the good, and the done. Things getting released in an imperfect state then fixed means we get more quality content in a timely manner, with some speed bumps along the way, and that's a worthwhile tradeoff.

Testing on this game has been alright by any reasonable standard. This Droideka splat is one of the first truly questionable ones in a while.

CG is a subsidiary of EA who in the April -June Quarter made $1,137,000,000. I don’t know CG’s full budget but I’d imagine its quite decent, so I doubt that they’re lacking any funds. I think since newer management has came on board theres been additional pressure to increase profits, but thats just my opinion. The main problem is that these new characters have obvious flaws in HSTR P3. So much so that the community finds them within days. How can devs not see the issues when they are the ones writing the script? The Sith Raid was also reworked to be easier for T1-T6 but making these changes now because it’s too easy? Why?

People are annoyed with the changes happening more frequently than any other game mode, let them have their rant because a lot of people do agree with them.

• Drazhar
    784 posts Member
    Options
    Is it possible that every time you release something you have to fix it (nerf it) because you didn't bother testing it at all? Can you at least not wait for people to buy your stuff before nerfing it? That would be much appreciated and would bring credibility and revenue to you.
  • Options
    It appears that when a unit uses Stand Alone, instead of setting allies’ speed to 0, Traya is actually setting it to something closer to -900,000

This is not even bad coding, this is incorrect thinking.

CG should have set a variable to allow the toon to play or not.
    If not allowed, no (de)buff, no assist, no turnmeter modification, nothing nothing nothing happens.

• Options
    It appears that when a unit uses Stand Alone, instead of setting allies’ speed to 0, Traya is actually setting it to something closer to -900,000

This is not even bad coding, this is incorrect thinking.

CG should have set a variable to allow the toon to play or not.
    If not allowed, no (de)buff, no assist, no turnmeter modification, nothing nothing nothing happens.

Sadly CG blew all their "correct thinking" budget on their new shiny "frequent communication with customers tool"
  • Odebees
    11 posts Member
    Options
    Interesting.......
  • Options
    I’m not even mad. There’s no reason to be. This is just hilarious honestly 😂
  • Options
    So much effort on preserving a raid that Jedi Luke and a few other future characters will eventually make into a joke anyway... just like HPit and HAAT.

Please.
  • mvs84
    33 posts Member
    Options

Ok, in short, we are used as testers of their product, right?
    They do not give us a polished and stable product with each release.

Why not lower prices or give away more free stuff as payment for our testers services?

Especially if many of us are the ones who pay for an imperfect and unstable product.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    mvs84 wrote: »

Why not lower prices or give away more free stuff as payment for our testers services?

Especially if many of us are the ones who pay for an imperfect and unstable product.
    This is astoundingly petulant.

You cannot completely debug a program. 100% bug free is impossible to do, or even come close to, save in the most trivially simple programs. There will be bugs at launch, no matter how rigorous your testing, and they will be found by the user base. This is not a Galaxy of Heroes thing. This is an every program you have ever used in your entire life thing. File a bug report and go on with your day. You do not deserve to be paid as a tester.

And you are not "paying" for this "unstable" product. You're playing a continuously supported game. It changes. That's the nature of the game. At worst, you're mildly inconvenienced in a mobile game.
    Still not a he.
  • mvs84
    33 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    mvs84 wrote: »

This is astoundingly petulant.

You cannot completely debug a program. 100% bug free is impossible to do, or even come close to, save in the most trivially simple programs. There will be bugs at launch, no matter how rigorous your testing, and they will be found by the user base. This is not a Galaxy of Heroes thing. This is an every program you have ever used in your entire life thing. File a bug report and go on with your day. You do not deserve to be paid as a tester.

And you are not "paying" for this "unstable" product. You're playing a continuously supported game. It changes. That's the nature of the game. At worst, you're mildly inconvenienced in a mobile game.

Hey, Relax!

Don't stress. To start with is a comment based on your previous comment.

For starters, I am a developer and I know what it costs to debug. Especially when you are the one who develops and tests, you always do the right things and everything seems to work well.

The problem is that they are launching many things in a row and all with faults. It's not just a new release that fails, it's all the new ones that launch. Grievous rework, B2 rework, B1, Magnaguard rework, Finn + C3PO, GA, TW....

I'm not saying that they pay us a salary, but if the policy is to continue taking new content to earn more money instead of returning to give the quality and stability to the game as it was before...

What unless we are rewarded with lower prices or more free content? That's all I said.

Every business is paid depending on the quality it has. The game over time has risen prices and has lowered the quality. It's a bad business policy.
  • Options
    So much effort on preserving a raid that Jedi Luke and a few other future characters will eventually make into a joke anyway... just like HPit and HAAT.

Please.

The way they are so zealous in keeping the raid future proof it wouldn't surprise me if they bludgeoned Jedi Luke with the nerf hammer before they concede "future proof" is a bad concept on paper and in practice resulted in such terrifically unfun boss mechanics almost no one has anything positive to say about playing the raid.

Honestly i think they should leave everything alone unless it's an actual glitch that results in something that mechanically shouldn't be possible. If a toon gets a kit though that allows an infinite loop like cls tmr in pit the devs should just concede that it's WAI.