My Syndicated Arena

Replies

• jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    Because some people don't want to be forced into 2nd place

Life is all about choices. He was offered 2nd place. If he didn't like it, now he gets to face the consequences of his decision.

Maybe he'll feel differently in a week or two. Maybe in a week or two he'll be unable to navigate all the Darth Revan squads and it'll be irrelevant. Who knows?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Pile wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    We'll, in most cases if you're not in chat it really doesn't matter how good your teams are since virtually nothing holds on defense once you get in the top 50. I also think it justifies the payout since you need a more complete roster to compete in GA vs getting by with the one meta team. Seems even more viable in today's meta.

Justifying a rewards increase, yes. But not destroying another game mode to get it. IMO

For a lot of players, the top of the arena is locked out anyway even if they have meta teams. Arena is a mess, flooded with repetitive mirror matches where payouts are decided hours ahead of time. If put to a vote, I'd be curious to see how many players would be all for letting arena die. Moving crystal payouts to GA is about capitalizing on the overall effort of the players and their entire roster, which to me is more worthy of having perhaps the single most important currency in the game as a reward.

Not every shard is the same, and the story we see here, which is not to say it's not happening, is less common than average.

Again, many have invested into the current system because it is a calculated decision that can have a positive outcome. This would not be the case if they just changed it over to GA. That could really effect the player base, and not in a positive way as you suggest.

Many already hate matchmaking, now add to that the gamemmode being the primary source of income, the rage would be real.

There's a lot of assumption. This type of change could potentially benefit a lot more players. How many in the 50-200 range would step up their game if they had an equal opportunity for top rewards? I don't have the answer as I possess no power of clairvoyance but it could be a lot more than the ticked off chat members who dominate the top 20.

They do have an equal opportunity for top rewards. Just because you're unwilling or unable to join/create a shardchat doesn't mean you don't have the opportunity to do so.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    I don't know why you told them that you didn't want to join shard chat and work with them. You've brought this on yourself and now arena is gonna be a huge headache and you'll be lucky to get top 10.

And why? Because you really needed those extra 50 crystals every day that first gives you? You should have accepted his gracious invite and enjoyed your undisturbed place at #2.

Because some people don't want to be forced into 2nd place

#1 in arena is like a prime piece of land in a public park. Close to concession stands, restrooms, and other facilities.

A group has been using that land for the past couple of years. Not theirs by right, sure.

Now someone comes around and wants to claim it as theirs since they beat them to the land one day.

I dont really blame the original group for getting there early the next day, setting up on the land, and taking up all the parking closest to it.
  • Options
    I have a few questions, first of all you said that you "finally reached top 5", and that they finally cought your attention, what was your average rank before that? If you are a top 50 player who only recently started climbing to top 5 with the potential of reaching top 1, you are probably severely undermodded compared to them. Revan will allow you to climb even with crappier mods but the things is once a meta comes again where speed matters you will most likely be dropped alot of ranks again.

My recommendation is to take the offer for 2nd place, an extra 50 crystals won't make a huge difference honestly especially if you were used to top 50s and top 20s, the crystals from top 2 will be a significant increase.

Secondly, what squad are you using? If you're using Jedi Revan you're most likely not very special, the squad is carrying you up the ranks you're most likely not going to last at the top very long anyways, making enemies at this point is not in your best interest. If you have Darth Revan then you may be able to bully them in the future and they won't have the ability to do much about it, but with Jedi Revan I think this is just hype on your part and second place should not be underestimated. You passed a great opportunity that you may never get again, even if you aren't worthy of top 2, you still got the door opened, which means they could help you keep it even tho you didn't deserve it.

Anyways, despite all of this, I agree with you, this whole thing should not be allowed by the devs nor encouraged or endorsed by moderators on this forum. I want to see it fixed but considering how long it's been happening I don't think it ever will. The reason. For the first two paragraphs is because I'm trying to help you adjust to the current system, whether it's broken or not. My shard works the same way, I'm 3rd in priority list so I can't get 1st or 2nd. Do I like it? No but I am being smart and I know that defecting from the group will only mean less crystals for me in the end. Let's just hope the devs do something about it.
  • Options
    B0baf3tt wrote: »
    We had someone unwilling to join shard chat recently. Thats fine but we asked that person to respect others payouts. This person refused and purposely caused one member to loose 1 at payout daily. Then he/she started trash talking the guy in chat (unwilling to report and I respect him for that) whose payout he was ruining. After our shard saw his dirty messages we have been actively working against this person.
    You dont have to be in shard chat to work and play but if your mean I find this system fair

He didn't want to join... you said that's fine. Then you asked said person to still abide by what they just told you they didn't want to. You realize this right?

• Options
    Its fine in the sense the person didnt join the chat.

You realize that if you're going to or even potentially cost someone crystals, most players will do the same, right?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Roksteady wrote: »
    Many already hate matchmaking, now add to that the gamemmode being the primary source of income, the rage would be real.

As opposed to the almost daily posts you see from people **** off about shard chats? The JKR mirror matches are not helping my dislike of arena.

I would be all for making grand arena or changing up arena in some way to make it so that players can't implement their own rules that those in charge can't in some way moderate.

I am here daily, and it's not that often, but not everyone posts here, so might be higher than here and the other places I am, but still not daily.
  • Options
    leef wrote: »
    We'll, in most cases if you're not in chat it really doesn't matter how good your teams are since virtually nothing holds on defense once you get in the top 50. I also think it justifies the payout since you need a more complete roster to compete in GA vs getting by with the one meta team. Seems even more viable in today's meta.

Justifying a rewards increase, yes. But not destroying another game mode to get it. IMO

For a lot of players, the top of the arena is locked out anyway even if they have meta teams. Arena is a mess, flooded with repetitive mirror matches where payouts are decided hours ahead of time. If put to a vote, I'd be curious to see how many players would be all for letting arena die. Moving crystal payouts to GA is about capitalizing on the overall effort of the players and their entire roster, which to me is more worthy of having perhaps the single most important currency in the game as a reward.

Not every shard is the same, and the story we see here, which is not to say it's not happening, is less common than average.

Again, many have invested into the current system because it is a calculated decision that can have a positive outcome. This would not be the case if they just changed it over to GA. That could really effect the player base, and not in a positive way as you suggest.

There's a lot of assumption. This type of change could potentially benefit a lot more players. How many in the 50-200 range would step up their game if they had an equal opportunity for top rewards? I don't have the answer as I possess no power of clairvoyance but it could be a lot more than the ticked off chat members who dominate the top 20.

They do have an equal opportunity for top rewards. Just because you're unwilling or unable to join/create a shardchat doesn't mean you don't have the opportunity to do so.

That's semantics. This boils down to refreshes and timing. How many refreshes does one need to do to get top rewards while fighting off the shard chat Armada until it becomes a zero sum game?

Exactly...play nicely with the other kids and everyone wins.
  • Options
    Blacklist or shitlist like the one I am in are almost in every server mostly in old servers that whales don’t want to lose top10 which is ok but if you coordinate 10-20 players to hit one this is beyond enjoy and tactics.
  • Options
    Calbear949 wrote: »

That's semantics. This boils down to refreshes and timing. How many refreshes does one need to do to get top rewards while fighting off the shard chat Armada until it becomes a zero sum game?

Exactly...play nicely with the other kids and everyone wins.

If you play by their rules which differ from shard to shard

Yes...different kids have different rules.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

I feel like you're asking a retorical question, but i'm not sure what point you're trying to make.
    Obviously when you target a single player with the entire chat the goal is to discourage that player from messing around in the top20/10/5 so he won't bother anyone anymore. Any refresh that doesn't result in a higher payout tier is a waste of crystals, breaking even when you do finish 1 tier higher is a waste of attempts, so it only becomes beneficial if it leads to getting 2 payout tiers higher than you would have gotten without refreshing. If that seems uncertain or plain unreachable you're likely to not try that very often.
    Let me ask you this though since you considered what i said semantics, why are some players in shardchats while others aren't? I'm obviously not looking for the "because they won't let others join" awnser. The players who are in shardchats had to create or join somehow, why them and not the others?
  • xxragnarjsxx
    244 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I get it.
    What a thrill to finally be able to climb in your arena.

But you have to realize the reason they have a chat, is because they have been able to climb every day for almost 3 years now.
    And instead of just ripping into and sniping each other to ruin rewards, they decided “hey! Let’s talk and make this less stressful” (and coordinating is less stressful if arena is what makes the game fun for you)

Maybe you always climb high. If you do, I hope other members treat you fairly.
    If you literally in this meta just became able to do so like yesterday, maybe try and work with them. As they have with each other for years now. It’ll be less stressful getting a guaranteed spot every day, the fighting for one every day.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

I feel like you're asking a retorical question, but i'm not sure what point you're trying to make.
    Obviously when you target a single player with the entire chat the goal is to discourage that player from messing around in the top20/10/5 so he won't bother anyone anymore. Any refresh that doesn't result in a higher payout tier is a waste of crystals, breaking even when you do finish 1 tier higher is a waste of attempts, so it only becomes beneficial if it leads to getting 2 payout tiers higher than you would have gotten without refreshing. If that seems uncertain or plain unreachable you're likely to not try that very often.
    Let me ask you this though since you considered what i said semantics, why are some players in shardchats while others aren't? I'm obviously not looking for the "because they won't let others join" awnser. The players who are in shardchats had to create or join somehow, why them and not the others?

The obvious answer to your question is because the invited players were, at that particular time a threat to payouts. My point is, even if someone is new to being competitive in arena why are they excluded when they are clearly competitive?

excluded isn't a problem, so i'm just going to assume you mean targetted.
    I would assume because they peeved people off and they think it's more beneficial to target them than to invite them. Can't really blame them tbh. Too many players became "clearly competative" due to JKR.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    And so far, almost every argument that is pro chat arena format supports moving crystal payouts from arena to GA. Earning payout with time spent in game (should have multiple teams/metas)... check. Not having to monitor the game during payout (24 hour attack period)....check.

my major issue with that is that you're at the mercy of matchmaking. Some will always get the short end of the stick. I'm not one of those btw, 22/3 w/l ratio at the moment.
  • Options
    Personally i hated shard chats even if they are friendly but most of the time they are not. I hate people cordinating in what the Devs made to be a competitive mode. It stops being competitive when you cordinate with someone in your shard chat and for me thats collusion. There is nothing wrong with the OP saying i am not going to LET this guy have the spot he should be able to defend it at said specified time. If he isnt able to defend during his payout then its not his payout he didnt earn it he wasnt there to defend it so how is it his. So now the Op gets punished for doing what the Devs wanted arena to be. That is why shard chat is bad and ruins arena. This is a game if your fun is getting top 1 everyday and competing for it then thats how it should work. Dont pick a payout if you cant be there to defend it. Just my thoughts on this funny subject.
  • Options
    And so far, almost every argument that is pro chat arena format supports moving crystal payouts from arena to GA. Earning payout with time spent in game (should have multiple teams/metas)... check. Not having to monitor the game during payout (24 hour attack period)....check.

A few of cons to that idea:
    - since you get matched on GP it reduces the advantage spenders get (doesn't eliminate it though); especially if your not a big spender and only pay for a single meta character every now and then
    - it breaks up income; instead of getting crystals daily you get them every 7 days (or roughly every other day if some get distributed per round)
    - presuming the biggest payouts come at the conclusion of the event and not at the end of each round magnifies the importance of doing well every day whereas arena allows the luxury of skipping days throughout the week without forfeiting all crystal income
  • Javin37
    367 posts Member
    Options
    MultUA wrote: »
    Well, I finally reached top5 at my regular arena and I have been contacted a person who was holding the 1st place.

That guy wrote me that I have to stay at the 2nd place as they have a syndicate of old members managed within discord and if I do not agree I would be blacklisted in their chat.

Of course I have rejected and you know what? Yes, they all together are bombing me from the top now)

I talked to my guild mates who hold top positions on their arenas. They have the same issue. Enjoy the 2nd (3rd, 5th) place or you’ll be kicked by the majority.

As a person who waste some reasonable cash for this game, may I have a question addressed strictly to CG/EA stuff - are you going to do something with those arena syndicates?

Should have accepted...and in time you might be alternating.

I don't know why this situation was a surprise.
  • consumer
    3 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    wow, looks like most of the people writing here are in their shard chats and they love getting stuff for free. Can you please get out of your comfort zone and face your opponents 1 vs 1?Are you not bored of ganging up on people? Or do you not have the guts? Squad arena is meant to be 1 vs 1, not 1 vs many. If you are not strong enough to keep your spot with 1 vs 1, though. Pay more.

There is a very obvious solution to this problem. Rotate arena shards every 3 months.

Not all shards are at the same level you say? Duh, send people to shards that are of the same age. If your shard is 15 months old, any shard between ages 12-18 months should be OK. Of course in your new shard your ranking can get worse, but at least it will be because RNGesus, not because of some annoying gang who continues to gang up on you even in forums.

Oh also, I am both in my arena and fleet shards. My arena shard is full of aholes. They dont let anyone new in. But in my fleet shard we hold hands, and "try" let anyone strong enough take spots they want. So it is possible to properly play this game people.

@CG_Carrie how are you?
  • Options
    jkray622 wrote: »
    So why is it that these "new players" aren't allowed the same opportunity to compete for top spots? Of course the have nots feel excluded and they should if they can legitimatly compete. This is really the only problem I have with a lot of the chats related to these types of posts. All these quasi rules floating about are meant to do nothing more than protect the sweet payout arrangements and people who have decided there are better things to do than play the game at their payout time.

You have Player A, who has been getting 1st place ostensibly for some time (months if not years). Now Player B comes up and demands access to the rewards that Player A has been getting. Player A's options are:

1) Give up his sweet rewards just because the new guy wants them. (negative impact)
    2) Start vigorously and individually protecting his #1 spot, at the cost of extra crystals, and having to play the game at the very specific time of payout, regardless of what else is happening at that time (negative impact)
    3) Ask Player B to collaborate under some sort of shared agreement (whether that's static positions, a rotation, etc. It's up to them to come to an arrangement). [positive impact]
    4) Ask other players (whether in shard chat or just individual messages) to assist him close to payout, either by locking Player A or B, or knocking Player B back. [positive impact]

Each shard chat is different because each group of players is different. For every terrible story about an excluded person, there are many stories about players who have significantly improved their gaming experiences through shard chats.

The OP in this case is complaining about being a "have-not", because he got greedy and didn't want to accept 2nd place on a daily basis. I think he made the wrong decision, and now he gets to live with the fact that he chose to be greedy and now has to live with the ramifications of that decision.

If you go through the 4 main options I listed to this post, where Player B is the OP and Player A is the member of the shard chat who offered him 2nd place, why should Player A voluntarily accept a scenario that negatively impacts himself? He offered one scenario that should have positively impacted both players, and the OP declined. So now Player A can either accept a negative for himself, or he can coordinate with the shard chat to keep a positive for himself. So of course that's what he's going to do.

Dumbest **** ive ever heard this **** is a GAME and in a game its every man for himself. Not this hey man....I know you just got revan you know that number one is mine and I will ruin you if you Take it from me. Boo Hoo dude stop defending this extortion.
  • Options
    Ohh and by the way, who in the heck said this PLAYER A was the "rightful owner" of this top spot. if you don't like someone beating the crap out of you then fight back!! I at least know in our shard chat the same fool gets first every day! and he destroys people that take it from him. its extortion at its finest
  • Options
    jkray622 in that post, NUMBER 2 is what should be happening not what makes player A's life easier. and if you don't like that other stuff is happening at the time of payout then don't whine if you cant make it happen. Said player is essentially being fed rewards.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    212Attack wrote: »
    Ohh and by the way, who in the heck said this PLAYER A was the "rightful owner" of this top spot. if you don't like someone beating the crap out of you then fight back!! I at least know in our shard chat the same fool gets first every day! and he destroys people that take it from him. its extortion at its finest

Nobody said "Player A" is the "rightful owner" of the spot. But the majority of players who haven't been at the top of the arena always make the same mistake - they don't stop to consider the players who are already there. They think only of themselves.

I hope that by pointing out the perspective of the players at the top, it'll foster additional discussion - because nothing says that Player B is the "rightful owner" just because he happened to be able to reach the top for a brief period of time.

This is definitely a game, but it's your opinion that it's "every player for himself." The fact that shard chats exist and flourish proves that many other players disagree with your assertion.

I'd also like to point out that anytime any player beats another one to claim a higher spot in arena, it meets the definition of extortion - "the practice of obtaining something (usually money) through force or threats." So before you start throwing around terms like "extortion", perhaps think that every single player in arena is technically performing extortion. Yay for vocabulary!
  • Options
    Why not refresh arenas every so often? Then you face new players and this puts an end to the chats and makes it a simple free for all.

I can see that being bad lets say ur a 1 yrar player at 2 mil gp and u fight a 3 year 4 mil player both get top 10 before the switch now ur matched against each other mods and depth of the roaster and now he keeps first u drop to 100 to 50 range dosent sound that fair and a new shard would just be created within a day or 2 anyway