GAC matchmaking - supposed to be funny?

Replies

• I feel like the whole point of this thread has gone over your head.

People tell me that a lot, but right now I'm having a laugh, so I don't think so this time. You want to win with less gear, counters are still your best bet, else you might as well say you can't win at gear 1 so it's silly to say work on it.

The whole point of this thread is that the OP is being matched against someone with way more G13 and relics characters so saying just get more G13 character is missing the point.

I win almost every GAC match that I play. Do I win because I am better than my opponent? No. I win because I have a reliced SE team with Malak that is essentially undefeatable in my division. No opponent has ever beaten it so every opponent I play against is locked out of two of my territories. Is that fair?
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    I feel like the whole point of this thread has gone over your head.

People tell me that a lot, but right now I'm having a laugh, so I don't think so this time. You want to win with less gear, counters are still your best bet, else you might as well say you can't win at gear 1 so it's silly to say work on it.

The whole point of this thread is that the OP is being matched against someone with way more G13 and relics characters so saying just get more G13 character is missing the point.

I win almost every GAC match that I play. Do I win because I am better than my opponent? No. I win because I have a reliced SE team with Malak that is essentially undefeatable in my division. No opponent has ever beaten it so every opponent I play against is locked out of two of my territories. Is that fair?

Yes it is. If they want to beat you they should get a counter, not a handout.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • thecarterologist958
    1111 posts Member
    edited February 2020

Would getting more G13 characters not solve the problem? And I also win almost every GAC match, not because I have one catch all team and happen to not meet the people that can beat it but because I work uphill for a lot of my later matches and use counters at a lower gear level to allow for a relatively strong defense. You have your strategy, I have mine, they both pay off. Is that fair?

• The whole point of this thread is that the OP is being matched against someone with way more G13 and relics characters so saying just get more G13 character is missing the point.

Would getting more G13 characters not solve the problem? And I also win almost every GAC match, not because I have one catch all team and happen to not meet the people that can beat it but because I work uphill for a lot of my later matches and use counters at a lower gear level to allow for a relatively strong defense. You have your strategy, I have mine, they both pay off. Is that fair?

Just because you can overcome poor matchmaking by playing better doesn't make the matchmaking not poor.

• Just because you can overcome poor matchmaking by playing better doesn't make the matchmaking not poor.

Counterpoint: The fact that I win consistently with the disadvantages others whinge about shows matchmaking isn't poor, they just need to get on with it.
  • Thread is divided into:

Matchmaking could be improved.
    And
    Your roster needs to be refined.

How are these two things mutually exclusive and how can anyone be so asinine as to think that matchmaking can't be improved?

• Lysandrax wrote: »
    Thread is divided into:

And

How are these two things mutually exclusive and how can anyone be so asinine as to think that matchmaking can't be improved?

The point is, what is in the player's control? We can control our roster and what teams we can use as counters. We can't control matchmaking. So, it's only natural that a discussion about matchmaking will eventually steer towards what we can control.
    On that note, I agree that matchmaking could be improved. Anything can be improved. I think everybody could agree on that. But I don't think matchmaking will be improved by complaining on the forum.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    Thread is divided into:

And

The point is, what is in the player's control? We can control our roster and what teams we can use as counters. We can't control matchmaking. So, it's only natural that a discussion about matchmaking will eventually steer towards what we can control.
    On that note, I agree that matchmaking could be improved. Anything can be improved. I think everybody could agree on that. But I don't think matchmaking will be improved by complaining on the forum.

It got improved last time through the exact same methods didn't it?
    Lysandrax wrote: »
    Thread is divided into:

And

It got improved last time through the exact same methods didn't it?

Did it? I'm guessing the devs rely more on internal metrics than they do on feedback. I could be wrong.
    But the improved method still relies on GP which is what most have an issue with.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • Matchmaking with top chars is bad and will be bad.

All what they need is matchmaking with someone who has similar points.
    Also if they would make smaller divisions with no cap (looking at you end game players) you'll get a better diversion.

The first people should fight for kyber and don't fight against "noobs". If they battle each other we'll have a real #1 in the division. No luck in matchmaking. Just pure skill.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Gifafi wrote: »
    funny ha ha or

Funny like a clown, I'm pretty sure
  • KyoO1234
    270 posts Member
    edited February 2020

Just because you can overcome poor matchmaking by playing better doesn't make the matchmaking not poor.

Counterpoint: The fact that I win consistently with the disadvantages others whinge about shows matchmaking isn't poor, they just need to get on with it.

Matchmaking currently favors certain roster setups. (Lean rosters with focus on meta toons/teams) Now you might believe you are a star because the matchmaking favors you, but that only proves that you are lucky enough to be on the upside of the matchmaking equation.

Others however get permanently punished by the current matchmaking logic. And while some factors are in the players control (e.g. gear up toons or obtain key meta toons) there are other factors that cannot be controlled.

I am a veteran player and I am not able to demote or unlevel my old, once good, now useless toons. So even if I farm and gear the “right” toons now I still will be matched to my disadvantage (top x toon GP helps only marginally)
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    KyoO1234 wrote: »

Matchmaking currently favors certain roster setups. (Lean rosters with focus on meta toons/teams) Now you might believe you are a star because the matchmaking favors you, but that only proves that you are lucky enough to be on the upside of the matchmaking equation.

Others however get permanently punished by the current matchmaking logic. And while some factors are in the players control (e.g. gear up toons or obtain key meta toons) there are other factors that cannot be controlled.

I am a veteran player and I am not able to demote or unlevel my old, once good, now useless toons. So even if I farm and gear the “right” toons now I still will be matched to my disadvantage (top x toon GP helps only marginally)

Mm does not favor lean rosters.

Your total lack of understanding is likely why you struggle.
  • CCyrilS wrote: »

Mm is based on GP. (Top x GP)
    I think you don’t understand what a “lean roster” is.

But please enlighten me and my “total lack of understanding”
  • Saada
    664 posts Member
    CCyrilS wrote: »

Mate he is right....

If you build a roster a get a two top meta squads (including the squads needed to get those characters) but have nothing else significant in your top 60 or 80, you will have a hugely favourable matchup with someone who has lots of middle of the rosd squads and can't beat the two meta squads you can set on defence.

Not sure how you can deny this. It's the same how it was before when it was matches up based on total gp and those who has focused rosters had the better matchups. Now it's a little more difficult but definitely suits those who make a second account and know what they're farming and gearing....
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

Everything not counted on your top 80 is bonus, and an advantage over opponents. No need to "demote" toons.

GA has been around plenty long enough to have made meaningful choices to help you win. Continuing to complain about mm is not an acceptable excuse.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Saada wrote: »

Mate he is right....

If you build a roster a get a two top meta squads (including the squads needed to get those characters) but have nothing else significant in your top 60 or 80, you will have a hugely favourable matchup with someone who has lots of middle of the rosd squads and can't beat the two meta squads you can set on defence.

Not sure how you can deny this. It's the same how it was before when it was matches up based on total gp and those who has focused rosters had the better matchups. Now it's a little more difficult but definitely suits those who make a second account and know what they're farming and gearing....

Start a second account so you know what you're doing....? So you mean be better at the game?
  • Saada
    664 posts Member

Mate he is right....

Start a second account so you know what you're doing....? So you mean be better at the game?

Lots of people have second accounts and neebies get matched with them which isn't fair.

Not sure how you can think that someone starting a second account and beating a person who spent the first 1mil gp on things he didn't really need as being better?
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member

Mate he is right....

Lots of people have second accounts and neebies get matched with them which isn't fair.

What's your solution for this?

If i'm new and someone else is new, and I do research and they don't, is that fair?

• CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

Mate he is right....

Not sure how you can think that someone starting a second account and beating a person who spent the first 1mil gp on things he didn't really need as being better?

That's literally what I consider better.

However this is irrelevant, as he stated he was a veteran player. Whining about mm is pointless...we have known the rules long enough to make choices to impact it.
  • Saada
    664 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

Mate he is right....

If i'm new and someone else is new, and I do research and they don't, is that fair?

That's fair but if I made a new account now (4 mil at the moment) and farmed jkr, then dr while some other person playing the game for the first time knows nothing about the forum/game/squads/synergy/matchmaking etc and farms all random characters they like and gears them up high so that their gp matches that jkr/dr account. How is that fair?
    It's easy to say I "researched" but you only did that cause you would have had the hindsight of playing the game the first time which isn't fair. I dunno what the answer is but their needs to be a better way to go about it.

• Saada
    664 posts Member

Mate he is right....

That's literally what I consider better.

However this is irrelevant, as he stated he was a veteran player. Whining about mm is pointless...we have known the rules long enough to make choices to impact it.

You sir are a fool and anyone with sense please like this comment to show him.....
  • Saada wrote: »

Mate he is right....

That's fair but if I made a new account now (4 mil at the moment) and farmed jkr, then dr while some other person playing the game for the first time knows nothing about the forum/game/squads/synergy/matchmaking etc and farms all random characters they like and gears them up high so that their gp matches that jkr/dr account. How is that fair?
    It's easy to say I "researched" but you only did that cause you would have had the hindsight of playing the game the first time which isn't fair. I dunno what the answer is but their needs to be a better way to go about it.

Its fair because the game is about decisions. If you didn't care enough to research what teams are good, you live with the consequences.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    I mean, if I want to do good in a game, I research it as I'm starting, not a few years in....maybe that's just me though.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    I mean, if I want to do good in a game, I research it as I'm starting, not a few years in....maybe that's just me though.

That's cheating
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member

Cheater

I also shill hard.
  • CCyrilS wrote: »

Everything not counted on your top 80 is bonus, and an advantage over opponents. No need to "demote" toons.

GA has been around plenty long enough to have made meaningful choices to help you win. Continuing to complain about mm is not an acceptable excuse.

Your post is nonsense. I am not sure if you are just trying to troll or if you are serious.

In GAC the difference between winning and losing often comes down to winning with 53, 56 or 60 points. With the opponents I am facing anything below G12 is just useless. So I don’t know what you are talking about with “bonus”. Even the bottom half of my top 80 is useless if my opponent has some meta teams.

And you are most certainly not the deciding authority on “acceptable excuses”...

But keep defending a flawed system as long as it benefits you.
  • Lost in the discussion is that adding more Relic'd toons and higher relic levels increases your top GP, which subsequently gives you more challenging match ups, potentially negating any gains you've made. Having a top 80 which doesn't consist of the likes of Visas Marr, Chirrut Imwe, Chief Chirpa, ATF and the like is a big benefit.

The top 80 argument is as fallacious as the "whole roster GP" argument that came before it. You use toons not in your top 80 and you won't use some that are. How can a comparison that doesn't include things you will ause but includes things you won't be "fair" or "correct". I'm not sure.

Including myself, 14 of the 16 competitors in my first two rounds have made Kyber in some format. I've made Kyber (or been very close, honestly can't remember) in the GAC's I've participated in. I'm 2-3 this GAC because I've been matched against competition with...R7 GAS and more Relics than I do. shrug

Would be interesting to see the results of GAC matchups as a function of Relic'd characters and total Relic tiers. I'm sure CG would love to share that data with us...
  • Saada
    664 posts Member

Mate he is right....

Its fair because the game is about decisions. If you didn't care enough to research what teams are good, you live with the consequences.

Again if you only researched cause it's the second time round then it's not fair. If your starting fresh and did your research from the get go then go for it, you deserve it. but too many Start fresh after failing then get great match ups because of this. That's not fair and especially frustrating if they keep going "I'm great at the game," where they're not, they just have easy matchups.