Community Manager?

Replies

• Options
    TVF wrote: »
    I'm tired of being ignored too, I might quit if they don't fix things.

I’m sure quite a few would be thrilled. >:)
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • TVF
    36625 posts Member
    Options

Mainly on my shard.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Damodamo
    1586 posts Member
    Options

I’d miss the sarcasm to be fair..
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    thehi13 wrote: »
    AverageTed wrote: »
    CamaroAMF wrote: »
    Crumb’s job as Community Manager is whatever CG tells him is job is as Community Manager. If he wasn’t following orders from his leadership I’d imagine we’d have a new Community Manager.

There are many layers to what and who restrict his ability to communicate.

These layers are all put in place by EA and/or CG.

If their company policies prevent their community manager from communicating regularly with the community, they might want to take a look at those.

Unfortunately that is not true.

Hey @Kyno, first I want to say I don't know how you do what you do. You've become the de facto community manager and that simply is not fair. So, with that preface, I am not directing this at you, but I simply don't understand this. CG has brought this up many, many times before, but this doesn't happen nearly as much regarding lack of communication with games that have other large IPs. For all of the crap that happened with Battle Front 2, DICE at least communicated more. MSF's studio is similarly convaluted with a Disney IP and various layers of studio ownership, including a new transition of ownership. They still communicate more than weekly and have an active community manager. Same with Bioware and their debacles with ME3, MEA, and Anthem. There wasn't the same layer of external IP complications, but multiple layers of ownership and problems between the different branches of bioware and their relations to EA (which has been well documented in the gaming news). They still communicated and responded to the community specifically with ME3 and Anthem. The point that i'm trying to make is that other studios have many layers of reporting, ownership structures, and handling of massive IPs, but communicate more. I just don't understand this excuse. Please explain as much as you can.

Not to say that it is a singular entity that causes anything, and I will not pretend to completely know all of those relationships, but the current one we are seeing has 3 entities (Lucus, Disney, and EA) over seeing what goes on at CG. It is doughtful that Lucus gets involved at this level of stuff and is probably more involved in characters and what not but I dont know.

To my knowledge no other setup has this level of oversight and interaction.

Doesn’t Battlefront 2 have the same layers? Their devs are quite active on Twitter etc.

Isnt BF2 directly made by EA?

Thought it was made by DICE
    4s7xml83loih.jpeg

And which entity is active for the game on Twitter?

Sorry I'm not a BF2 player, so other that some of the more publicised issues, I don't follow anything they do

Their character designer is (was), and I believe their lead dev (not completely sure, goes by the name Ben Walke, search him on Twitter).
    Edit: Wookiepedia says he is the “Global Community Lead”.

Does he works for Dice?
  • Iy4oy4s
    2938 posts Member
    Options
    Crumb’s job as Community Manager is whatever CG tells him is job is as Community Manager. If he wasn’t following orders from his leadership I’d imagine we’d have a new Community Manager.

If their company policies prevent their community manager from communicating regularly with the community, they might want to take a look at those.

Hey @Kyno, first I want to say I don't know how you do what you do. You've become the de facto community manager and that simply is not fair. So, with that preface, I am not directing this at you, but I simply don't understand this. CG has brought this up many, many times before, but this doesn't happen nearly as much regarding lack of communication with games that have other large IPs. For all of the crap that happened with Battle Front 2, DICE at least communicated more. MSF's studio is similarly convaluted with a Disney IP and various layers of studio ownership, including a new transition of ownership. They still communicate more than weekly and have an active community manager. Same with Bioware and their debacles with ME3, MEA, and Anthem. There wasn't the same layer of external IP complications, but multiple layers of ownership and problems between the different branches of bioware and their relations to EA (which has been well documented in the gaming news). They still communicated and responded to the community specifically with ME3 and Anthem. The point that i'm trying to make is that other studios have many layers of reporting, ownership structures, and handling of massive IPs, but communicate more. I just don't understand this excuse. Please explain as much as you can.

Not to say that it is a singular entity that causes anything, and I will not pretend to completely know all of those relationships, but the current one we are seeing has 3 entities (Lucus, Disney, and EA) over seeing what goes on at CG. It is doughtful that Lucus gets involved at this level of stuff and is probably more involved in characters and what not but I dont know.

Doesn’t Battlefront 2 have the same layers? Their devs are quite active on Twitter etc.

4s7xml83loih.jpeg

Sorry I'm not a BF2 player, so other that some of the more publicised issues, I don't follow anything they do

Their character designer is (was), and I believe their lead dev (not completely sure, goes by the name Ben Walke, search him on Twitter).

Does he works for Dice?

Kyno...you are devoting too much time to defending Crumb. He has failed at being a community manager, period. If its because he couldn't do the job well, or his "hands were tied" is besides the point. You even admitted that its gone downhill. CG needs to realize that and fix it. The fact that we all call you the community manager is proof enough that the position is useless.
  • Options

Perhaps what has people surprised is that with this level of scrutiny going on regarding the game, it’s interesting that their combined wisdom has led to the conclusion that silence is the best way forward (up until now). The different entities may not initially agree on the best way to tackle an issue but I think that a lot of people would argue that the current silence is deafening. Unless they are working on the basis that any advertisement is good advertisement?
    Anyway, this is steering away from the initial topic a bit but I do feel for this crumb guy. It seems the decision to stay quiet isn’t his. But what is the best way for us as a community to show CG that we want more interaction from the CM?
  • Options

4s7xml83loih.jpeg

EA is basically the sole producer of star wars video games. Not sure if dice is a direct subsidiary or a sub contractor, but the profits (or a large portion of them) go to EA
  • Options
    Lio wrote: »

I don't think the challenges are company policies. I imagine they're more related to the number of companies involved (Disney, LucasArts, EA, CG) and divisions built into those. It's arguably the most popular IP right now for a mobile game so I'm sure there is a ton of oversight.

I'm not interested in getting into semantics of whether they are policies, rules, directives, guidelines or whatever.

A community manager doesn't have to be divulging proprietary information. They can just pop by and shoot the breeze with the community. Let them know what's happening in a very broad sense. Humanize themselves and their colleagues.

If CG, EA, Disney or whoever are preventing them from doing something as simple as that they need to take a serious look at things because their are plenty of companies out there who manage to negotiate this apparent minefield quite easily.

Agreed. They need to become more human and actually engage the player base in discussion. They don’t have to give up restricted information. Just engage us, talk with us, throw out theories with the movies, shows, whatever. Show us you exist and are fans of Star Wars. How is this difficult @CG_SBCrumb?
  • Iy4oy4s
    2938 posts Member
    Options

Its made by DICE....nice try though.
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member
    Options

I think Dice is the CG for BF2
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »

4s7xml83loih.jpeg

Does he works for Dice?

Kyno...you are devoting too much time to defending Crumb. He has failed at being a community manager, period. If its because he couldn't do the job well, or his "hands were tied" is besides the point. You even admitted that its gone downhill. CG needs to realize that and fix it. The fact that we all call you the community manager is proof enough that the position is useless.

Seriously how am I defending anything, literally anything????

I am trying to understand how they do it so I can have an informed conversation to actually try to get somewhere.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    ZAP wrote: »

I don't think the challenges are company policies. I imagine they're more related to the number of companies involved (Disney, LucasArts, EA, CG) and divisions built into those. It's arguably the most popular IP right now for a mobile game so I'm sure there is a ton of oversight.

So, SW BF2 didn’t have the exact same companies involved?

MSF don’t have the same number of companies involved?

It sounds like Kyno has a little more information than he’s allowed to share, otherwise he would.

We’ll never know the reason communication changed and is where it is now until someone who actually knows tells us.

However, we can make some educated assumptions based on other games.

It’s probably not a Disney issue as they are the parent company of many games that interact with their player base far more than this.

It’s probably not a LucasArts issue for the same reason it’s probably not a Disney issue.

It’s probably not an EA issue for the same reason as the 2 above.

So, unless it is one of the 3 above and they are treating this game completely different than all their other games, then we’re left with CG.

Also of note is that CG is the only EA game that canceled it’s game changers program.

There’s a pattern here that’s not difficult to spot.

What other mobile games are those 3 companies all partnered on?

How many of them are mobile games?

I would agree there are patterns but you seem to also be ignoring connections that dont suit your sentiment.
  • VaderB1
    146 posts Member
    Options
    Asylumwar8 wrote: »
    All you need to know about crumb is what has happened in the last week regarding GAC. People wonder when it will start...he comes on and says one date and on said date he logs on changes it to a new date and can’t be bothered to even comment. Everyone knew June 11th was wrong but not Crumb, at least not til it became obvious it was wrong.

Exactly, confirming that it was supposed to be the 11th ONLY TO TURN AROUND AND THE DAY IT'S SUPPOSED TO START CHANGE IT TO THE GODDDAMN 15TH
  • Options

It sounds like Kyno has a little more information than he’s allowed to share, otherwise he would.

We’ll never know the reason communication changed and is where it is now until someone who actually knows tells us.

It’s probably not a Disney issue as they are the parent company of many games that interact with their player base far more than this.

It’s probably not a LucasArts issue for the same reason it’s probably not a Disney issue.

So, unless it is one of the 3 above and they are treating this game completely different than all their other games, then we’re left with CG.

Also of note is that CG is the only EA game that canceled it’s game changers program.

I would agree there are patterns but you seem to also be ignoring connections that dont suit your sentiment.

So devs of BF2 has more license to engage with the community because that's not a mobile game? And devs of MSF, because EA is not involved? Is this anything more than a pure conjecture at this point? Are you going to need to see CG engaging the community more in an alternate universe before you conclude that the problem is most likely CG and not EA/Disney/Lucasarts, who doesn't seem to have this problem with any of their other gaming endeavors?
  • SnakesOnAPlane
    4363 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    CG can be human and still sell $1B a year. Do y’all recall that EA was voted the worst company in America more than once? Yes, they even beat out Bank of America, and was awarded the covered-in Golden Poo trophy. :D

Enjoy this good reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Electronic_Arts
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Options

It seems like he is doing an excellent job at never responding on the forums and remaining silent on 99 of 100 issues... recently 100 of 100... so if that's what CG is telling him to do then the problem is bigger than most people think.
  • Iy4oy4s
    2938 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @Kyno Speaking of community management...you ever get a reason why we didnt get a Q and A last month? I think it would be disastrous for them to do one, but they did say once a month.
  • Options
    Snowbird13 wrote: »

4s7xml83loih.jpeg

EA is basically the sole producer of star wars video games. Not sure if dice is a direct subsidiary or a sub contractor, but the profits (or a large portion of them) go to EA

EA has published Dice games for almost 20 years, at least, and took them over in the mid-2000s
  • Options

4s7xml83loih.jpeg

Does he works for Dice?

Yes, he does.
    I have a bad feeling about this.
  • Damodamo
    1586 posts Member
    Options
    I’d just like to say can we all take a moment and remember that @Kyno isnt an employee of cg or ea, he volunteers his time on here. Not sure on why the hate is being levelled towards him, as he is in totally the same boat as the rest of us, only difference is he’s being fobbed off directly rather than indirectly.

@CG_SBCrumb @CG_RyDiggs @CG_TopHat guys, help your default community manager out yeah? He’s struggling..

Also.. seems to be a bunch of EA employees here... @EA_Joz @EA_Rtas @EA_Cian @EA_Jesse @EA_Lanna that don’t seem to be joining in anything here... care to comment guys?!?

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Can you explain how a mobile game somehow is special from other platforms you think exempts them from community engagement?

MSF, DSA and RSA are all mobile games that engage with their community, so even that assertion holds zero water.

Those games aren’t 4.8 years old you say? Again, what does that have to do with community engagement unless the game is in its end phase and closing down?

I didnt say it is or was exempt from anything, but it absolutely is a different platform that drives games to be built, marketed, and thought of differently in the industry.
  • Options
    Damodamo wrote: »
    I’d just like to say can we all take a moment and remember that @Kyno isnt an employee of cg or ea, he volunteers his time on here. Not sure on why the hate is being levelled towards him, as he is in totally the same boat as the rest of us, only difference is he’s being fobbed off directly rather than indirectly.

@CG_SBCrumb @CG_RyDiggs @CG_TopHat guys, help your default community manager out yeah? He’s struggling..

Also.. seems to be a bunch of EA employees here... @EA_Joz @EA_Rtas @EA_Cian @EA_Jesse @EA_Lanna that don’t seem to be joining in anything here... care to comment guys?!?

He sticks his own foot in it regularly by defending indefensible situations. The fact that he ISNT an employee makes it worse
  • Options
    #MakeCrumbGreatAgain
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Damodamo wrote: »

He sticks his own foot in it regularly by defending indefensible situations. The fact that he ISNT an employee makes it worse

People assume I'm defending something when I'm just trying to understand the parallels and gather information, because that's the only way to try and have a fruitful conversation that could bring about changes.