• TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    As well they should.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    Options
    Don't see why time/long turns should be an issue. Just give both players a short timer like in blitz/bullet chess.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    Options
    Nihion wrote: »
    Antario wrote: »
    I mean, it’s always annoying for a turn based game. Opponent could stall and what not. It’d be fun yeah. But we don’t need it.

That is not really an issue. There are plenty turn-based live pvp games out there. Even games where you do live pvp as a Tag team (2 vs 2). Very entertaining.

You don’t need to worry about opponents stalling. There is a countdown timer you know. If your opponent does not complete the move within the time limit (e.g 10 sec), the system put it on auto. It‘s a bit like chess :)

I guess so, sure. But we still don’t need it. We do need a good new PvE mode.

It's not about whether we need it or not. If there is a opportunity to attract more players on the market to this game, be sure CG will give a serious thought about it.

PvE content takes time to build but the fun-curve stagnates quite fast. People get bored once it has been mastered (e.g. Raids). While PvP content also takes time to build, but the fun can last much longer (e.g. GAC). It provides much better return of investment for CG scarce development resources.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    I mean, it’s always annoying for a turn based game. Opponent could stall and what not. It’d be fun yeah. But we don’t need it.

That is not really an issue. There are plenty turn-based live pvp games out there. Even games where you do live pvp as a Tag team (2 vs 2). Very entertaining.

You don’t need to worry about opponents stalling. There is a countdown timer you know. If your opponent does not complete the move within the time limit (e.g 10 sec), the system put it on auto. It‘s a bit like chess :)

It's not about whether we need it or not. If there is a opportunity to attract more players on the market to this game, be sure CG will give a serious thought about it.

PvE content takes time to build but the fun-curve stagnates quite fast. People get bored once it has been mastered (e.g. Raids). While PvP content also takes time to build, but the fun can last much longer (e.g. GAC). It provides much better return of investment for CG scarce development resources.

Right, but we STILL don’t need it. Who knows if live PvP will attract more players? We don’t have the numbers.

You’re right that we need PvE that easily keep satisfying us, and I’m hoping that this new game mode will do that. I think we have a mode like it already for PvP: GAC.
  • str2019
    64 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Live PvP is the only thing that makes a game streamable, and this is required to be competitive in today's market. PvE is not interesting to watch and it will only take so long until viewers plummet / interest vanishes.
    When you ask for Live PvP it is not only Live PvP you would get. Without much extra effort it would also give you replays and stop cheating once and for all. But, this game would have to be built from ground up. It would not be a big issue with the kind of revenue this game is making, it is just a matter of risks attached to such a big project.
  • Starl0rd
    97 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    don't care if it does or doesn't happen, but "we" sounds like too many people...
  • Options
    This could be interesting, especially if you let the players pick 6, each lock in one on their own team and then ban 1 that isn't locked on their opponent's team. You could also do DS vs LS, then reverse for round 2.
    To keep it "for fun only", you could make all the rewards be simply cosmetic. New skins, profile pics, backgrounds, etc.
  • DubbQ
    92 posts Member
    Options
    I dont need live pvp

I'd prefer more variations of tb,tw and gac and more raids

Different maps with different bonusses etc
  • Options
    Pretty funny that people either don't want it for selfish reasons like not dropping in arena, or claim that nobody wants it because they've apparently talked to the whole community? Everyone in my guild wants it, and the consensus in my alliance is the same. Live PVP I'm actually less of a fan, but we should definitely get some type of sandbox mode to test characters and compositions. This game is resource heavy and the investment (whether time or $) is very steep. Several people I know spent over $1,200 to get JKL or were hoarding like crazy for months and skipping GLs or GAS to save up for whatever the next meta or major character would be. Imagine if you could test him out against team comps to decide whether or not you want to spend your resources or money on him to decide if it's worth it. What's the harm in that? That's like buying a used car before you even look at it or drive it. If some people want to do that, great you do you. But not everbody does
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Pretty funny that people either don't want it for selfish reasons like not dropping in arena, or claim that nobody wants it because they've apparently talked to the whole community? Everyone in my guild wants it, and the consensus in my alliance is the same. Live PVP I'm actually less of a fan, but we should definitely get some type of sandbox mode to test characters and compositions. This game is resource heavy and the investment (whether time or $) is very steep. Several people I know spent over $1,200 to get JKL or were hoarding like crazy for months and skipping GLs or GAS to save up for whatever the next meta or major character would be. Imagine if you could test him out against team comps to decide whether or not you want to spend your resources or money on him to decide if it's worth it. What's the harm in that? That's like buying a used car before you even look at it or drive it. If some people want to do that, great you do you. But not everbody does

Who said nobody wants it? The OP is the one acting like he speaks for everybody.

As for the testing notion, there is no reason to expect that even if a sandbox mode were to be implemented, it would allow you to test characters you don't even own.
  • Options
    Liath wrote: »

Who said nobody wants it? The OP is the one acting like he speaks for everybody.

As for the testing notion, there is no reason to expect that even if a sandbox mode were to be implemented, it would allow you to test characters you don't even own.

I didn't say I expected it, theres a 0% chance that would ever happen. But I don't know why people would complain and say not to add something that is clearly going to be beneficial to some people other than the people who don't want to arena drop. If you're not going to use it then don't, but don't say the game doesn't need it when there are plenty of people who would use it. Denying something like this for the game that would not only help some people but would give some people something to do is a good thing. Saying the game doesn't need it is myopic and selfish. Too many people in this game think inward and only of themselves, bunch of sith running around
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

I didn't say I expected it, theres a 0% chance that would ever happen. But I don't know why people would complain and say not to add something that is clearly going to be beneficial to some people other than the people who don't want to arena drop. If you're not going to use it then don't, but don't say the game doesn't need it when there are plenty of people who would use it. Denying something like this for the game that would not only help some people but would give some people something to do is a good thing. Saying the game doesn't need it is myopic and selfish. Too many people in this game think inward and only of themselves, bunch of sith running around

Some people want it is not the same as the game needs it. And it is no more “selfish” for me to say I don’t want something that you would enjoy than it is for you to say you do want something that would create a negative experience for me.
  • Options

Some people want it is not the same as the game needs it. And it is no more “selfish” for me to say I don’t want something that you would enjoy than it is for you to say you do want something that would create a negative experience for me.

How would it create a negative experience for you? I'm genuinely curious. Because you would drop in arena potentially? A diverse meta is absolutely healthy for the game. I don't think just sitting in the same spot in arena and never dropping because you saved up for or whaled on a character who is way too OP is healthy for the game. More information and more knowledge on how characters work won't hurt you, it will help you. In many game modes. And who's to say it would drop you in arena anyways? Counters are already pretty easy to look up and are being used. If I can't beat Rey or SLKR I can google it and there's guides and videos. We don't have a sandbox mode now and people are already using counters. How are you negatively affected by this more than you are now? I'm not trying to be a ****, I just genuinely don't understand how not knowing how characters interact with and against each other is a good thing.
  • BryGuy2k
    198 posts Member
    Options
    I don’t want to be that guy - but I have never said I would quit the game if they added a feature.

Live PVP would be that feature for me however. There is no way with our existing platform that it would turn out to be a good experience.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Options

How would it create a negative experience for you? I'm genuinely curious. Because you would drop in arena potentially? A diverse meta is absolutely healthy for the game. I don't think just sitting in the same spot in arena and never dropping because you saved up for or whaled on a character who is way too OP is healthy for the game. More information and more knowledge on how characters work won't hurt you, it will help you. In many game modes. And who's to say it would drop you in arena anyways? Counters are already pretty easy to look up and are being used. If I can't beat Rey or SLKR I can google it and there's guides and videos. We don't have a sandbox mode now and people are already using counters. How are you negatively affected by this more than you are now? I'm not trying to be a ****, I just genuinely don't understand how not knowing how characters interact with and against each other is a good thing.

not sure how live pvp would cause a drop in arena, unless you mean arena would be all live pvp, which would be an absolute nightmare. the point is if they work on live pvp that means they aren't working on actual content, including new raids and game modes. we have live pvp in MSF and it sucks and no one uses it besides maybe the occasional playing around to sorta test teams, for a few people. For me, it would be a negative for CG to waste time and resources on a terrible game mode just so a few people could play around with their teams, and it would be exponentially worse if live pvp were somehow "required" to play like arena is for me now. I want new stuff, not an unfun playground for a few people.

edit: a fully maxed meta squad with the best mods can't just sit at the top in arena without dropping, btw.
    Post edited by Gifafi on
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member
    Options
    There are many other game modes I'd prefer to see before Live PVP
  • PrimeTime
    111 posts Member
    Options
    I feel like rock paper scissor was supposed to be the new live PVP but the community hated it and they had to scrap it. Live PVP with our current arena style battles wouldn't be very fun for those who have weaker mods. Matches would end with some not being able to move.
  • Options
    No thank you.

Because you would be forced to participate?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

I’m not sure what you’re referring to with most of this so it’s hard to answer your questions. You seem to be conflating the ideas of live pvp and sandbox and I don’t really see that relationship. I’m not sure why you assume I would drop in arena, I’m not sure whether you’re imagining this as replacing regular arena or what. Or if you’re just saying my opponents would somehow become magically better players because of getting to play live pvp.

Live pvp is not a mode I personally would enjoy. I don’t choose to play games where that’s a substantial portion of gameplay. If it was implemented with rewards then I would feel obligated to play it to keep up in other areas of the game even though I would hate it, which would either reduce my enjoyment of the game as a whole or lead to me quitting the game entirely.

If you’re envisioning it as a sandbox mode with no rewards, the mode itself would not affect with me, but the development resources spent on it instead of on something I would actually enjoy and get some benefit from would still be a negative for me.
    No thank you.

See above.
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member
    Options
    No thank you.

You honestly think they would invest resources in creating a game mode that we wouldn't need to play in order to remain competitive?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I have yet to play a live PvP mode in any game that was enjoyable in the long term. most times it feels like a gimmick, and is fun at times but never really has any lasting enjoyment. especially when it involves ranking, you end up in places where you cannot find a match, or you play the same player because you 2 are the only ones in the area at that time. The best is when you get disconnected and end up playing an AI anyway.

I wouldn't be opposed to them adding it if it was done in a way that still offered new content throughout the development process.

in no way would i want this mode to be introduced if the intention was to replace the current arena with this mode. I'm sure that would cause many issue for the game in the long run.
  • joelgs23
    251 posts Member
    Options
    Dragon Champions just introduced a super fun PvP mode called Battlegrounds where you 2 players (soon to be 3v3 also) fight and set defenses in real time to take and hold 8 territories. When you squad is defeated on defense, you can use them again to attack, then set a new defense if you win the fight. It's fun!! So good.
  • Options
    joelgs23 wrote: »
    Dragon Champions just introduced a super fun PvP mode called Battlegrounds where you 2 players (soon to be 3v3 also) fight and set defenses in real time to take and hold 8 territories. When you squad is defeated on defense, you can use them again to attack, then set a new defense if you win the fight. It's fun!! So good.

And people are leaving the game in droves because it is a terrible implementation.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • BryGuy2k
    198 posts Member
    Options

I’m not sure if this is serious or sarcastic...
  • Larx
    371 posts Member
    Options
    BryGuy2k wrote: »

I’m not sure if this is serious or sarcastic...

i really hope it was meant to be sarcastic! this new mode sucks!
    played it a few times an: hell no!
  • Options

Right, but we STILL don’t need it. Who knows if live PvP will attract more players? We don’t have the numbers.

You’re right that we need PvE that easily keep satisfying us, and I’m hoping that this new game mode will do that. I think we have a mode like it already for PvP: GAC.

I am sry to say but gac is boring allready and you folks dont get why live pvp is better than gac,why bother playing a game of this magnitude if you dont get to interact with other players in real time,its what makes live pvp fun.

• Options

I am sry to say but gac is boring allready and you folks dont get why live pvp is better than gac,why bother playing a game of this magnitude if you dont get to interact with other players in real time,its what makes live pvp fun.

If live PVP is fun, why play a well-established game that does not have live PVP, instead of playing a game with live PVP? Not everyone likes PVP modes; this game already has 4 (arena, fleet arena, TW, GAC). Those who don't like PVP are unlikely to be happy with a 5th.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options

Right. But we STILL don’t need it. You can’t prove otherwise. Would I like to see it? Sure. But we don’t need it; the last four years of this game are your proof.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    Adamklark wrote: »
    or this 4 years proves we need live pvp or other way of pvp, because currently it is dull.
    you do you

And yet the game still lasted for four years, with two of those having one mode of pvp. It might be dull now, but I still believe that the game doesn’t need live PvP to move forward.