The Pit Challenge Tier & Relic 8 [MEGA]

Replies

• Firefox54
    73 posts Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Firefox54 wrote: »

Kyno ... is there an update on the raid, or a place where updates can be found easily (I don't have the time to go through 88 pages of forum posts)? Are they planning a change to the raid?

They have not made any statements that are committing to anything at the moment, from my understanding they are still looking at options, data, and player sentiment before they will make an announcement about their decision. Much of this is pretty straightforward, but they dont seem to be comfortable making a statement until the are more solid on the path forward (or a still possible outcome of no change)

@Kyno ... thanks for the response. Is there another place that they are collecting information (particularly player sentiment) other than the forum? I want to be sure I can add to the conversation. I, personally, don't see a long-term future in the game -- at least coordinating the raid -- as the raid currently stands. I already have a demanding job, a spouse and kids ... I don't need extra work just to play a mobile game [this is my sentiment for CG, not directed towards you]. I hope that they address this very soon.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited February 2021
    Options

Kyno ... is there an update on the raid, or a place where updates can be found easily (I don't have the time to go through 88 pages of forum posts)? Are they planning a change to the raid?

They have not made any statements that are committing to anything at the moment, from my understanding they are still looking at options, data, and player sentiment before they will make an announcement about their decision. Much of this is pretty straightforward, but they dont seem to be comfortable making a statement until the are more solid on the path forward (or a still possible outcome of no change)

Kyno ... thanks for the response. Is there another place that they are collecting information (particularly player sentiment) other than the forum? I want to be sure I can add to the conversation. I, personally, don't see a long-term future in the game -- at least coordinating the raid -- as the raid currently stands. I already have a demanding job, a spouse and kids ... I don't need extra work just to play a mobile game [this is my sentiment for CG, not directed towards you]. I hope that they address this very soon.

This thread is the place, and I'm pretty sure that part has been very well documented, but contributions are always welcome.

Also they do collect and read player sentiment from other sources too, but not any particular location.
  • Options
    Player Sentiment: this game mode is about at fun as waiting for your luggage at the airport, with the only excitement and anticipation is if someone is going to steal your luggage and hose your trip or not.

• Options
    At the moment we just have it automatically start, a few people might try an attack and it passes by. We have tried a couple of mass attacks but at the moment this raid is a complete waste of time and effort. So, we basically are ignoring it until something changes.
  • Options
    To me the biggest hit to the gamer base of this raid is the need for the coordinated timing to hit and post damage. This raid has already ripped long time guilds apart and is only going to continue to do so. Sure, if your guild can't do it, leave them and go to a guild that can, which is the problem.

It generates a revolving door in many guilds which leads to not maintaining any consistency whatsoever as a group and often leaves others players just feeling left out.

I am very devoted to the game and probably play it a hell of a lot more than I should and often times when i shouldn't so i can keep up and assist the guild because I'm not selfish and don't want to leave me guild just to accomplish this raid. 3+ years or building and growing would just be thrown out.

It is a shame that a simple fix of just nerfing or eliminating the ridiculous speed and offense stacks that the raid generates with each passing 20%.

Unless I jump ship it is possible I may never complete this raid in the coming year or more. Working 2 jobs, raising kids (not with an iPad either) and just being active in the family and community are all important things that dictate my life. Forcing me and other players to dictate and adjust our schedules to hit a raid is crazy and is absolutely not a quality of life adjustment to the game that is often talked about, or at least used to be.

I still very much support this game and love the franchise but this raid just is a demoralizer and guild killer. I imagine we will get the exact same thing with HAAT and HSITH in the future rather than creating something new.

HSITH took a long time for guilds to master as well but at least the guild could work on it on their time and schedule.
  • Options
    StarSon wrote: »
    0dysseusK wrote: »
    2. limiting each guild member to only one team per phase (with retreat)

This makes good sense, except they'd also have to make it so the Rancor can't immediately devour in p2. Giving each player 5 battles for the whole raid, like we used to get per day in lower-tier raids, could work well.

If it were one battle per phase, they could also keep the ramping damage mechanic if it were calculated per player and if a player couldn't use the same squad across multiple phases.

If this is something they want to keep in this mode, it will likely be done in a less direct/permanent way. Even the ramping we see right now, in theory can be developed past. So they would likely keep it in a way that has an eventual "out" vs a hard limit.

No, there is no update. We have no idea if they are planning on making a change, since they refuse to say anything about it.

Just speaking hypothetically, but...

Examining a raid, deciding whether to make changes, then actually redesigning, testing, doing quality passes and making sure those changes are able to be implemented without breaking the game and still hitting an intended target (and going a step further to make sure that the changes would be final in order to prevent having to come back and reexamine/make changes again) probably takes a bit of time.

CG isn't refusing to say anything. The issue hasn't been ignored. I've provided updates when possible. Just bc they're not the updates you want (which I also understand is frustrating, but I'm not going to make promises prematurely) doesn't mean the studio is refusing to comment on the raid. If/when there is something definitively determined, I will make an announcement stating "there will be no changes at this time" or "changes are being made and here they are".

Again, I understand this is taking longer than any of us would like and the raid has frustrated many people. You're totally entitled to your feels in that regard. But, saying the studio refuses to say anything is simply not true.
  • Options

This makes good sense, except they'd also have to make it so the Rancor can't immediately devour in p2. Giving each player 5 battles for the whole raid, like we used to get per day in lower-tier raids, could work well.

If it were one battle per phase, they could also keep the ramping damage mechanic if it were calculated per player and if a player couldn't use the same squad across multiple phases.

If this is something they want to keep in this mode, it will likely be done in a less direct/permanent way. Even the ramping we see right now, in theory can be developed past. So they would likely keep it in a way that has an eventual "out" vs a hard limit.

No, there is no update. We have no idea if they are planning on making a change, since they refuse to say anything about it.

Examining a raid, deciding whether to make changes, then actually redesigning, testing, doing quality passes and making sure those changes are able to be implemented without breaking the game and still hitting an intended target (and going a step further to make sure that the changes would be final in order to prevent having to come back and reexamine/make changes again) probably takes a bit of time.

CG isn't refusing to say anything. The issue hasn't been ignored. I've provided updates when possible. Just bc they're not the updates you want (which I also understand is frustrating, but I'm not going to make promises prematurely) doesn't mean the studio is refusing to comment on the raid. If/when there is something definitively determined, I will make an announcement stating "there will be no changes at this time" or "changes are being made and here they are".

Again, I understand this is taking longer than any of us would like and the raid has frustrated many people. You're totally entitled to your feels in that regard. But, saying the studio refuses to say anything is simply not true.

Well, it's been 10 weeks, and all we've heard is "the devs are looking into it." Whether it's true or not, it certainly *feels* like the studio is refusing to say anything.

How long, exactly, does it take to decide if they want to make changes? Not even that they will, or that they can, but that they want to or don't want to?

We had 3 more people quit the game entirely this week. Not sure how many others are quitting because of the raid, but my alliance alone is at about 20 this year.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Well, it's been 10 weeks, and all we've heard is "the devs are looking into it." Whether it's true or not, it certainly *feels* like the studio is refusing to say anything.

How long, exactly, does it take to decide if they want to make changes? Not even that they will, or that they can, but that they want to or don't want to?

We had 3 more people quit the game entirely this week. Not sure how many others are quitting because of the raid, but my alliance alone is at about 20 this year.

Since he is saying they will make a statement when they have a decision, and they have not, but will not make one until its more solid, again, it seems like they want to but have to go through the process he has listed above, and will not make a statement until they have something to show.

My guilds has had 0, even after we failed 2 times.
  • Konju
    1180 posts Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from that “refuse” is a strong word, however it is still fitting, they refuse to announce until conclusion is reached (no intentions or attempts noted to the community). You did add more context so the distinction is worth noting. Thank you.

That being said, while I truly do appreciate your presence, we certainly are looking for a more meaningful answer. The sooner the better. Thank you.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Konju wrote: »
    I understand where you are coming from that “refuse” is a strong word, however it is still fitting, they refuse to announce until conclusion is reached (no intentions or attempts noted to the community). You did add more context so the distinction is worth noting. Thank you.

That being said, while I truly do appreciate your presence, we certainly are looking for a more meaningful answer. The sooner the better. Thank you.
    indicate or show that one is not willing to do something.

But they have indicated they are willing to make an announcement, when they have the answer they can post. So it's not really fitting, as they are willing, when they have the answer they can share.
  • Ultra
    11538 posts Moderator
    Options
    My guilds has had 0, even after we failed 2 times.

Yeah none from my guild left even though we have been clearing it since day 1
  • Konju
    1180 posts Member
    Options

But they have indicated they are willing to make an announcement, when they have the answer they can post. So it's not really fitting, as they are willing, when they have the answer they can share.

Semantics and further context which I noted. They are not willing to tell attempts, ideas, change, or no change until the context you outlined is reached. They refuse to say anything until the final conclusion. Adding a simple time parameter fixes the semantics. It’s true they refuse to say anything meaningful right now. It takes time, but a statement of intention would go a long way.

They won’t, (hence refuse) and I understand why. No need explain it again.

It is what it is. It’s being looked at. Nothing new. Hoping for more soon.
  • Options
    One “left” my guild, but only after it transpired he didn’t fancy the coordinated damage holding approach and started posting scores indiscriminately.

For me, this raid is a lot like the old 80s classic computer game Elite, on which I wasted an astonishing amount of my life in my early teens.

Without doubt, the thing I found hardest to do in Elite was to dock in a space station. You had to get the alignment right, the speed right and also get the rotation right. Get any one of those 3 things wrong and you were dead. Game over. (For anyone under the age of 40, imagine the docking scene from Interstellar but with a Kempston joystick, more polygons and less Anne Hathaway)

The first time I successfully docked, I was euphoric. I launched, hyperspaced to a new system and BOOM, I failed to dock and died. Jaded, deflated, I reluctantly tried again from the previous (saved) launch and this time I pulled it off.

Of course, as soon as I docked that second time, I bought the docking computer and never had to worry about docking ever again.

That’s like this raid for me. And the swgoh equivalent of the docking computer is the r8 SLKRs that arrive after the second completion, alongside the development of people’s roster, mod loadout fine tuning and improvements to strategy. After our second completion, each running of the raid has been easier than the last, and we will likely be imposing quotas moving forward to stop people dominating the podium.

And that’s what still worries me the most about the devs taking a long time to analyse and decide what to do. The longer they wait, the less the in game data will suggest that there’s a problem. The longer it goes on, the fewer complaints they’ll see on here, the more likely it is (in my opinion) that nothing will happen.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Semantics and further context which I noted. They are not willing to tell attempts, ideas, change, or no change until the context you outlined is reached. They refuse to say anything until the final conclusion. Adding a simple time parameter fixes the semantics. It’s true they refuse to say anything meaningful right now. It takes time, but a statement of intention would go a long way.

You seem to be confusing willing and able. He is willing, and is therefore not refusing, but he is not able.

Trying to make it seem like they have indicated they are not willing to answer, doesnt make it true, they are willing to, but are unable to at this time.
  • Konju
    1180 posts Member
    Options

You seem to be confusing willing and able. He is willing, and is therefore not refusing, but he is not able.

Trying to make it seem like they have indicated they are not willing to answer, doesnt make it true, they are willing to, but are unable to at this time.

Effective difference of zero between willing and able as far as this thread is concerned. Whether it’s Disney or EA or CG or whoever makes Doja unable to share is refusing (they are unwilling to share information about intentions etc. until they are which is not now—refusal by the decision maker, board, corporate entity what have you). Someone makes the decision of what they are willing to say on this. The decision is refusal to answer for now. That’s ok. I’m not really upset. I am remaining patient, but I also know of some who are not.

The continued communication is appreciated, but hopefully a meaningful answer comes soon.
  • MikKro
    333 posts Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    "testing, doing quality passes and making sure those changes are able to be implemented without breaking the game" is some funny **** to read considering the bugs that randomly show up after updates
    Post edited by MikKro on
  • Options

For sure. And I completely agree that the sooner an answer is provided, the better. Nobody (and I really mean nobody) likes leaving an issue like this unresolved. I check on this everyday and as soon as I can give an update (or even better, a definitive response) I will.
  • Konju
    1180 posts Member
    Options

For sure. And I completely agree that the sooner an answer is provided, the better. Nobody (and I really mean nobody) likes leaving an issue like this unresolved. I check on this everyday and as soon as I can give an update (or even better, a definitive response) I will.

I am certain you will. Thank you.
  • Options

But Doja that’s the thing.

If they’re actively looking at stuff, doesn’t that mean they intend to make a change? By doing testing and things of the sort? If that’s the case then just tell your fellow devs to let you say it.

That’s all we’ve been asking for is will you guys at least try and make changes. That’s it. We get it takes time. We get testing and revamping things takes time. However 10 weeks to make a decision and simply saying it’s being looked at is pretty much refusing to say anything.

To add onto StarSon my guild has lost 6 people that quit the game because of the raid alone, and 4 others who moved to different guilds because of the time zone difference. I don’t think that’s fair to expect people to be ok with “it’s being looked at” for 10 weeks with no meaningful update. I get that you don’t have control over that but maybe tell TopCash he should poke his head out and update us.
  • Options
    One “left” my guild, but only after it transpired he didn’t fancy the coordinated damage holding approach and started posting scores indiscriminately.

For me, this raid is a lot like the old 80s classic computer game Elite, on which I wasted an astonishing amount of my life in my early teens.

Without doubt, the thing I found hardest to do in Elite was to dock in a space station. You had to get the alignment right, the speed right and also get the rotation right. Get any one of those 3 things wrong and you were dead. Game over. (For anyone under the age of 40, imagine the docking scene from Interstellar but with a Kempston joystick, more polygons and less Anne Hathaway)

The first time I successfully docked, I was euphoric. I launched, hyperspaced to a new system and BOOM, I failed to dock and died. Jaded, deflated, I reluctantly tried again from the previous (saved) launch and this time I pulled it off.

Of course, as soon as I docked that second time, I bought the docking computer and never had to worry about docking ever again.

That’s like this raid for me. And the swgoh equivalent of the docking computer is the r8 SLKRs that arrive after the second completion, alongside the development of people’s roster, mod loadout fine tuning and improvements to strategy. After our second completion, each running of the raid has been easier than the last, and we will likely be imposing quotas moving forward to stop people dominating the podium.

And that’s what still worries me the most about the devs taking a long time to analyse and decide what to do. The longer they wait, the less the in game data will suggest that there’s a problem. The longer it goes on, the fewer complaints they’ll see on here, the more likely it is (in my opinion) that nothing will happen.

I truly enjoyed reading about your experience with Elite. Good use of levity and comparisons as well. So, thank you for sharing!
    The devs look at more than just completion data. I've relayed sentiment (and they know) that the level of coordination and the whole "airplane mode and wait to post" is not...uh...ideal.
  • Options
    Not that I don’t believe the developers are looking into it, but the fact remains that they have not made any official announcement that they are looking into it. If they need to be completely sure that they can either make a change or not make any change at all before they make an announcement about looking into it, then why did they make an announcement about looking into SLKR soloing phase 1 of Challenge Pit as soon as someone did it?
  • Options
    Rol wrote: »
    Not that I don’t believe the developers are looking into it, but the fact remains that they have not made any official announcement that they are looking into it. If they need to be completely sure that they can either make a change or not make any change at all before they make an announcement about looking into it, then why did they make an announcement about looking into SLKR soloing phase 1 of Challenge Pit as soon as someone did it?

I have said they are looking into it more than once.
  • Options

I truly enjoyed reading about your experience with Elite. Good use of levity and comparisons as well. So, thank you for sharing!
    The devs look at more than just completion data. I've relayed sentiment (and they know) that the level of coordination and the whole "airplane mode and wait to post" is not...uh...ideal.

Perhaps they should’ve tested it ;).

All in favor of putting Doja and his parrot in charge of things from now on?
  • Options

Thanks Doja. We haven’t gotten any posts in weeks, so it’s nice to hear from the Dev side. I appreciate the communication, you are one of CGs best decisions last year
  • Options
    Ravens1113 wrote: »

I'll second this. I do appreciate Doja responding to people on the forums, either in a nonsense thread thats fun, or in a thread like this, that has a more serious tone. I want to see much much more of this along with the jumping into Discord and spreading some love around (2+14=24?). Doja, I appreciate you, I can imagine how hard it must be to know things but not have the approval to share them. CG, give this man more authority to speak for you.
  • Options
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Ravens1113 wrote: »

I'll second this. I do appreciate Doja responding to people on the forums, either in a nonsense thread thats fun, or in a thread like this, that has a more serious tone. I want to see much much more of this along with the jumping into Discord and spreading some love around (2+14=24?). Doja, I appreciate you, I can imagine how hard it must be to know things but not have the approval to share them. CG, give this man more authority to speak for you.

Right? This is honestly the most engagement we’ve gotten with any dev since Kozispoon and @EA_Jesse
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    Why does Doja remind me of C-3PO when he was forced to translate for Jabba?
  • Options
    Nauros wrote: »
    Why does Doja remind me of C-3PO when he was forced to translate for Jabba?

I had the same feeling...just didn't want to say anything lol
    “But you know what I always say: Speak softly and drive a big tank.”
  • Options

Thanks Doja. We haven’t gotten any posts in weeks, so it’s nice to hear from the Dev side. I appreciate the communication, you are one of CGs best decisions last year

Doja is almost the only new content we got last year. You have a lot of pales to fill that ocean of content though.