Sith Lord Vader next GL?

Replies

• Starslayer
    2418 posts Member
    Options
    AlexTheG wrote: »
    Shows what's Whatever happened to calling him Master Kenobi...

Shouldn't that be "MK"?

mslyxjr60t9m.png
  • Starslayer
    2418 posts Member
    Options
    Shows what's wrong with the world these days everyone is obsessed with acronyms. Whatever happened to calling him Master Kenobi...
    It’s all about time efficiency. Think of the time that forumers obsessed with the adoption a standardised acronym system save! Probably less time than it takes them to post their objections to acronyms of which they disapprove.

Sarcasm aside, the use of “GLOW” is an abomination and must be stopped at all costs.

Standardised acronym system is not your friend here: GLOW is an acronym; JMK is not.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Xcien wrote: »
    Granolo wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »
    Kiaowew wrote: »
    SotaDraken wrote: »
    Larx wrote: »
    Don´t call it GLOW. Thanks.

🤨

it's GLOW and there ain't no doubt about it..

but you do you, boo...

😘

there's no such thing as GLOW. Don't try to use it as if it means something....

Counterpoint: Call it whatever you want to call it and don't get hissy if people call it something else.

Counter-counterpoint: People can call it whatever they like, but we are still gonna make fun of it, GLOW it's so silly and absurd, it's imposible not to. We will also make fun of anyone using GLLUSK or GLESP.

Counter-counter-counterpoint:
    Accept whatever nickname you want to call it, no matter how ridiculous it is, and accept the nicknames others call it, no matter how ridiculous they are.
    That way, everybody’s happy (well, mostly).

Wait.....huh?!?.... everybody can be happy? I find that hard to believe.
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

🤨

but you do you, boo...

😘

Counterpoint: Call it whatever you want to call it and don't get hissy if people call it something else.

Counter-counterpoint: People can call it whatever they like, but we are still gonna make fun of it, GLOW it's so silly and absurd, it's imposible not to. We will also make fun of anyone using GLLUSK or GLESP.

Accept whatever nickname you want to call it, no matter how ridiculous it is, and accept the nicknames others call it, no matter how ridiculous they are.

If you cannot believe, then you will never be truly happy.
    I've found this whole experience to be very enlightening.

Thank you for evaluating. Your feedback is appreciated.
  • flux_rono
    2120 posts Member
    Options
    Starslayer wrote: »
    Shows what's wrong with the world these days everyone is obsessed with acronyms. Whatever happened to calling him Master Kenobi...
    It’s all about time efficiency. Think of the time that forumers obsessed with the adoption a standardised acronym system save! Probably less time than it takes them to post their objections to acronyms of which they disapprove.

Sarcasm aside, the use of “GLOW” is an abomination and must be stopped at all costs.

Standardised acronym system is not your friend here: GLOW is an acronym; JMK is not.

um no. "an acronym is a word formed from the initial letters or groups of letters of words in a set phrase or series of words."
    Thus JMK is an acronym for Jedi Master Kenobi, GLOW is a different shorthand for the same person just doesnt use any of the letters from the original name and is THUS not an acronym.

other shorthands we have are JTR and GAS. [ Rey (jedi training), and General Skywalker, who switch orders of their letters and/or add in another letter)
    technically General skywalkers correct acronym would be GS (but we have many of those) so it would be switched to Gsky which is correct in terms of being an acronym still. However GAS becomes popular for the "funniness" (i believe) so it was taken in as the short hand.

but the big thing is that GL is just a title for the galactic legends normally used with their base names aka GL rey, GL kylo, GL luke. but never to my knowledge had the letters GL just been used with a single letter or 2 of the persons name, aka GLR, GLK, or GLL, until now with "GLOW"
  • Options
    flux_rono wrote: »

um no. "an acronym is a word formed from the initial letters or groups of letters of words in a set phrase or series of words."
    Thus JMK is an acronym for Jedi Master Kenobi, GLOW is a different shorthand for the same person just doesnt use any of the letters from the original name and is THUS not an acronym.

other shorthands we have are JTR and GAS. [ Rey (jedi training), and General Skywalker, who switch orders of their letters and/or add in another letter)
    technically General skywalkers correct acronym would be GS (but we have many of those) so it would be switched to Gsky which is correct in terms of being an acronym still. However GAS becomes popular for the "funniness" (i believe) so it was taken in as the short hand.

but the big thing is that GL is just a title for the galactic legends normally used with their base names aka GL rey, GL kylo, GL luke. but never to my knowledge had the letters GL just been used with a single letter or 2 of the persons name, aka GLR, GLK, or GLL, until now with "GLOW"

Technically JMK isn't an acronym, acronyms are abbreviations that you pronounce as a word. You can even see that the definition you gave specifies that an acronym "is a word". GAS and CAT are acronyms, JMK is not. I shudder to think of how someone would even try to pronounce JMK as a word. But in the end its all semantics and not really important anyway
  • Options
    GAS and CAT are acronyms, JMK is not. I shudder to think of how someone would even try to pronounce JMK as a word. But in the end its all semantics and not really important anyway

JMK as a word is best heard through a galactic interpreter.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Options
    Also, I still prefer to think of Anikin as G$.
  • Konju
    1180 posts Member
    Options
    There is debate among language scholars on what does and does not qualify as an acronym. Some experts DO consider initialism as a form of acronym (SLKR, JMK).

Can we please just drop the “acronym” debate from the Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes forums?
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options

GLOW is an acronym.
    JKL is an initialism.

An acronym is when the first letter of each word is used to create a new word that is pronounced as that word. GLOW, SCUBA, RADAR, etc. These are all acronyms. An initialism is when the first letter of each word is pronounced individually. JML, JKL, FBI, CNN, etc. These are all initialisms.

Both are abbreviations.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    These are all anachronisms. I have spoken.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    These are all anachronisms. I have spoken.

No, no, you're thinking of when words get hit by a train, that's an annakarinina.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • ssj4tim
    135 posts Member
    Options
    I think fallen anakin would make the most sense and introduce a new faction, "dark jedi" and have synergies with them. There seems to be enough in the game that would qualify for that title and not break up SEE teams really.
  • Options
    ssj4tim wrote: »
    I think fallen anakin would make the most sense and introduce a new faction, "dark jedi" and have synergies with them. There seems to be enough in the game that would qualify for that title and not break up SEE teams really.
    Not fallen Anakin, but Lord Vader, for one thing. And secondly, "dark jedi"? Why such a stupid name? There's a lot of different names out there and you try something so weak
    It’s the canon name, “stupid” or not.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Dark_Jedi/Legends
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    Options
    In my opinion, he is confirmed.

But for legal reasons I’ll make sure to emphasize on the “in my opinion” part ;)
  • MilHanso
    292 posts Member
    Options
    Not fallen Anakin, but Lord Vader, for one thing. And secondly, "dark jedi"? Why such a stupid name? There's a lot of different names out there and you try something so weak

How can you say that is canon and give us a "legends" link? Legends is the exact opposite of canon... Right? :#
    "You could warn me when I do something bad. Blink once for dark side, twice for light"
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    SemiGod wrote: »
    In my opinion, he is confirmed.

But for legal reasons I’ll make sure to emphasize on the “in my opinion” part ;)

I don't think that's how "legal reasons" work but I'm happy that you feel protected my friend.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options

🤨

but you do you, boo...

😘

We all have happiness within our grasp. We only need reach out and take it as our own.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    TVF wrote: »

🤨

but you do you, boo...

😘

We all have happiness within our grasp. We only need reach out and take it as our own.

Isnt that stealing?
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »

🤨

but you do you, boo...

😘

Isnt that stealing?

Sharing, my moderator friend.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

GLOW is an acronym.
    JKL is an initialism.

An acronym is when the first letter of each word is used to create a new word that is pronounced as that word. GLOW, SCUBA, RADAR, etc. These are all acronyms. An initialism is when the first letter of each word is pronounced individually. JML, JKL, FBI, CNN, etc. These are all initialisms.

Both are abbreviations.

Technically or literally GLOW may be an acronym for something, but not in this game, or at least not for that character.

Galactic Legend is not part of his name.

Obi Wan is also not part of his name.
    ebax5umsuxms.jpg

Yes someone can make up the phrase Galactic Legend Obi Wan to describe this character, but that is a personal choice to make a phrase that fits the definition of an acronym and is only loosely based on the title given but not the name given.

Also, while slightly off topic, it still sounds weird when I hear people pronounce SWGOH as a word, but I guess that would make it an acronym......
  • Ultra
    11506 posts Moderator
    Options

I think it'll be Sith tag instead of dark jedi

He'll have synergy with Empire faction just like JMK is a Jedi but has synergies with Galactic Republic
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Patiently waiting to see if this thread ages poorly or not.......
  • MasterSeedy
    5045 posts Member
    Options
    Aw, take the plunge, Kyno.

Wait IMpatiently to see if it ages poorly.
  • exile038
    138 posts Member
    Options
    MilHanso wrote: »

How can you say that is canon and give us a "legends" link? Legends is the exact opposite of canon... Right? :#

Not opposites. However, if you had clicked on the link you would have seen the tab to swap over to canon. So here you go
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Dark_Jedi
  • ssj4tim
    135 posts Member
    Options

Well Lord Vader would have to be in the suit already and then it wouldn't fit the prequel theme they have going on. As for Dark Jedi, that's something that's been used tons in the star wars universe including games like kotor that this game has the actual characters that were called Dark Jedi.
  • Options

Well Lord Vader would have to be in the suit already and then it wouldn't fit the prequel theme they have going on. As for Dark Jedi, that's something that's been used tons in the star wars universe including games like kotor that this game has the actual characters that were called Dark Jedi.

He was dubbed Lord Vader prior to the suit.

Would the inquisitors be considered “dark Jedi”?
  • Options

at the very least, a Force User...

I preferred the term "Adept" that way it doesn't go Light Side or Dark side with terminology but stays neutral..
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    Options

Technically the Inquisitors would be, but if they were to make it into the game, they would be Unaligned Force User (most likely). And for the Lord Vader tag debate, they probably wouldn't add the "Dark Jedi" tag, they would probably put Sith, seeing as Vader was a Sith.
    I've found this whole experience to be very enlightening.

Thank you for evaluating. Your feedback is appreciated.