[MEGA] State of the Galaxy: November 2021

Replies

• mariogsh
    783 posts Member
    edited November 2021
    Linkinxr wrote: »
    mariogsh wrote: »
    burntomaro wrote: »
    I like it but that’s probably because I’m not in a squad mafia where I’m guaranteed a large amount of crystals daily for little to no work.

Yeah, honestly, 80% of the people who are angry for this must be because they're in the mafia lol

"Mafia" - sounds like you are jelly you weren't in one

I'm in one, on my fleet shard, still calling it like that, it's a Mafia, wheter you like it or not

My fleet shard is awesome, my arena shard are MOSTLY a bunch of jerks
    It's getting tired to climb that much + refreshes just because someone start hitting me on my PO

This is an improvement (if MM is done correctly), so I'm actually glad for this
  • GAC is probably my least favorite game mode, especially 3v3. But...All hail CG for destroying the arena mafias!
  • Nauros wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »
    Given some time to think, I see the biggest pitfall in the matchmaking. There are two important parameters, GP and win/loss ratio, and they are not exactly correlated. Two players can have the same win/loss but wildly different GP. Over time, a lot of players across GP will gravitate towards 1:1 w/l, and it will be pure hell. Imagine facing players selected randomly from the entire GP range. Unless, of course, the matchmaking isn't as independent on GP as they claim.

The GP only affects initial seeding. After that, it's not considered. Only our skill rating matters, which is based on performance. If your skill rating is too high, you'll lose more than you win until you settle into the right spot. If you improve your roster suddenly, you should get some easy wins until your skill rating increases appropriately.

I know all this. My point is that the same skill rating is achievable with wildly different GP. If you fight your peers and win constantly, you will get the same rating as someone who keeps winning against their peers but at double your GP. Or half. It will be a pure coin toss at that point, assuming that the matchmaking really is independent on GP.

I fail to see the issue here. Consider two players, one at 5M and one at 8M. Their initial seeding will have them spread very far apart. If they should meet someday, that means that the 8M player has been losing and the 5M player has been winning. In theory, their skill gap should be enough to make the matchup interesting. If it is not, the 5M player will lose some skill rating and the 8M player will gain some back, and the system corrects itself.

Skill isnt going to make up for a whole extra roster of top tier teams, especially not when that includes 2+ more GLs.

There are 2 components to GAC success: skill and roster. Both should be rewarded. In the new system, I think both will be.
  • The “problem” with current squad arena is that you only need 1 GL to get number one payout each day. This is bad for CG because there’s no incentive to spend money on getting all GLs. In the new GAC you will get a bigger advantage the more you spend since they remove the penalty for GP bloat.
  • I get rank 1 daily with my JMK I got a month ago and JMK mirror is easy af plus I have an easy shard. Unfortunately with the changes I can't get similar 500 crystals a day anymore because I'm only 5M GP
  • Kyno wrote: »
    IkamuzU wrote: »
    Kyno, can you confirm if squad arena will be eliminated for level 85 players? I don't know if it will be eliminated or if just crystals will be removed.

It will still be there, and they are discussing the plans for its future, but at the time it will remain as it is, minus the crystals.

Surely you will still need it for scrap gear and gearing new characters
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Given some time to think, I see the biggest pitfall in the matchmaking. There are two important parameters, GP and win/loss ratio, and they are not exactly correlated. Two players can have the same win/loss but wildly different GP. Over time, a lot of players across GP will gravitate towards 1:1 w/l, and it will be pure hell. Imagine facing players selected randomly from the entire GP range. Unless, of course, the matchmaking isn't as independent on GP as they claim.

The GP only affects initial seeding. After that, it's not considered. Only our skill rating matters, which is based on performance. If your skill rating is too high, you'll lose more than you win until you settle into the right spot. If you improve your roster suddenly, you should get some easy wins until your skill rating increases appropriately.

I know all this. My point is that the same skill rating is achievable with wildly different GP. If you fight your peers and win constantly, you will get the same rating as someone who keeps winning against their peers but at double your GP. Or half. It will be a pure coin toss at that point, assuming that the matchmaking really is independent on GP.

I fail to see the issue here. Consider two players, one at 5M and one at 8M. Their initial seeding will have them spread very far apart. If they should meet someday, that means that the 8M player has been losing and the 5M player has been winning. In theory, their skill gap should be enough to make the matchup interesting. If it is not, the 5M player will lose some skill rating and the 8M player will gain some back, and the system corrects itself.

This seems to be the general idea, and while it seems to now be possible to have matches with wide range of GP, I think the assumption some are making that some band will exist where lower GP are only seeing higher GP is not accurate.

I will also add that unless you are the best player at your GP, when higher GP players make it to your area, they will have been beaten by others at your GP, proving it can be done....

This still seems to alienate newer mid players 2million-6mil playing for 1-2years who could consistently make top 50 or 20. The crystal reward structure should reward same crystals as SA only way to do that is GP brackets.

Gp 1-1mil xx-500 based on placement in group
    Gp 1-1.8mil xx-500 based on placement in group
    Gp 1.8-2.5mil xx-500 based on placement in group

Crystals are not like gear/mod rewards that get better the higher GP division your in, they were daily currency with same amount always available to every GP level regardless

You are basically saying people Playing less than 2 years never have ability to get the max they had potential to get before.
    Regardless of your GP you always had a chance to get upto 500 crystals if you stayed active, now you don’t your max available to be won is lower
  • can someone please ask these guys on the q&a session what happens to anyone who misses the joinphase?
    is skillrating affected? do we get crystals? can we drop in divisions and league? and all the stuff which could be possible if we forget or can´t join because of illness, vacation, defect phones or whatever...
  • MaruMaru wrote: »
    StarSon wrote: »
    MaruMaru wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    ShaggyB wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »
    I feel like the folks who say this is going to reduce income across the board are letting slip their chat status. Practically speaking, the maximum number of players per arena shard that could get first place in a day was 24. If you think 24 players (maximum) represent the experience of the rest of the player base then you're pretty out of touch. You weren't earning your crystals, you were part of a cartel that conspired to keep the crystals in their little group.

For the rest of us, just being in Carbonite 1 is going to give as many daily crystals as we already get.

So saying that everyone is going to suffer doesn't hold up to scrutiny. The 1% is going to suffer and the rest of us are going to get an increase based on what we deserve, so........

Sucks to be you. Get good at Grand Arena.

You do understand there are multiple arena shards, with new ones popping up all the time right.

You do not like shard chats.... but a newer player that gets #1 because they have the best team in their newer created shard arena will be getting the shaft with this.

Its always bad to take something from players, its never bad to add something.

From the discussion we had, there are some cases where it's a decrease, but overall it's an increase.

When looking at new shards which have the largest active population, this is a blessing, as many of them are averaging a very low income, compared to the average in the new system.

Perhaps a better explaination is needed. The way im reading it newer players (lvl 85) are going to not be anywhere near kyber payouts.

Initial gp will lock them in low. Skill will grow them some, but id think that #1 player with a low gp wont be clearing 500 a day

Yes a small % of players will see lower income, in the situation your are stating.

Are you sure it will be a small %? If skill rating is all that matters, then new players will eventually hit a wall where they can't win because the high leagues are populated by veterans. Unless they heed Carrie's infamous tweet about catching up, of course...

Yes I am sure.

Where do you predict this wall will be?

Was comparing the 110th toon with a guild mate (11 placements = 22 teams = 110 toons). I'm far and away the inferior player (same number of GLs, both have executors), their mods are better. I don't see how I get beat with the bottom of the rosters being what they are. This was with a 700k GP difference (6.3 to ~7M). A 3GL 5M GP roster would be farcical.

Smaller GP rosters cannot compete in the higher leagues if the defensive team placements are fixed. Period.

There is a gp threshold that it matters less, but that's much higher, consider the gp threshold where both players will have 110 reliced toons and only difference can be relic levels. I think this starts around 7.5m gp.

And this means that an account at 4M GP and getting 1st in arena today will have their crystals cut just about in half. They will eventually be able to get back to 500/day, but since they are now bringing in fewer crystals it will take them longer than it would have without this change.

Yes, sure. Arena toppers are the ones that can possibly have a net loss out of this change. While I'm as such, I'm still glad one of the arenas is going away, because I hate arena.

Yeah I’m a fan of the change, but this is likely to hurt the new whales which is a weird thing for them to do.
  • Cobraclutch
    24 posts Member
    edited November 2021

Not even new whales, I am fully f2p I have 3 GL's at 4.45 million. I am fully expecting crystal income to be reduced once I start matching up against 6.5 million GP+ once my skill rating adjusts.
  • People who love GAC and think the change is good are missing a simple reasoning, in the past, skills in not in matchmaking, so whatever matchmaking, people with better skills always have an edge, and personally I enjoying beating a stronger rosters with better skills. But going forward , some kinda of skills will be factored into the matchmaking, that edge will be gone.

Mathematically, it simply means moving everyone’s record closer to 6-6. Those 12-0,11-1,10-2, 0-12, 1-11, 2-10 will be increasingly less. So if you are a GAC lover with consistently 10-2 or better record, watching out. It is really simple math.
  • Yeah I’m a fan of the change, but this is likely to hurt the new whales which is a weird thing for them to do.

Not even new whales, I am fully f2p I have 3 GL's at 4.45 million. I am fully expecting crystal income to be reduced once I start matching up against 6.5 million GP+ once my skill rating adjusts. [/quote]

If you manage to climb that far and stay there, your income will stay the same:

h7p77h0tet96.png

Well, that's the thing I detailed in one of my other posts. Either the initial seeding keeps them separated, and new players (seeded to the bottom) will most likely never get very high, or it doesn't and GP mismatches will be common. The solution would be to let skill rating define your league and division and then pull your 7 opponents for the given run based on GP, but from the SOTG it seems that GP won't be taken into account at all.

I just don't see why GP should be a metric if you have a skill rating. I'm tired of efficiency rosters getting easy matches. I'm tired of hoarding upgrades for GL farms because it'll adversely affect my matchmaking. Ignoring GP (after the initial seeding, which happens one time, ever), seems like a huge improvement to me.

"new players (seeded to the bottom)"

This begs a question. Where will new level 85 players get slotted. At the very bottom with a skill rating of 0 (or whatever the minimum is)?

GP should be a factor because it is a measure of what you have at your disposal. To use an analogy (always a good idea on the forum!) the previous matchmaking matched casual bikers with winners of tour de france. Purely skill-based one will match bicycles with motorbikes as long as both riders are at the same skill level. Neither sounds very good to me.

To improve your analogy. It will match a cyclist with a biker only if they are routinely completing the course in the same amount of time. And if that's the case, who cares what contraption they rode on?

From what I’m reading, the cyclist’s legs will begin to care quite a bit after a few races.

Lower GP players can win against higher GP ones if they put in the effort, but I don’t know how many players can put in that effort every single GAC bout. Especially when at some point they’re also depending on the higher GP players not putting in an effort.
  • I get why CG made this move. They want more than one team required for the highest crystal payout. But for the same reason it will hurt anyone at low gp that took the time to get a top team.

One of the better things in arena was that you could compete ftp since no matter how much more hp the whales had, you could still get a meta team with time and focus.

This will no longer be the case I'm afraid. There's no way a 3 mil gp player is going to see the top crystal payouts any time soon if ever. The gap can be closed I'm sure with focus but the gap is rather large and the high gp players will also grow. And as the 8 mil gp accounts become 12 mil, I'm sure more teams will become required to be competitive.

It's just a fact that ftp won't be able to grow quickly enough to keep up with whales that will now almost all have high crystal income along with what they spend.

I can't imagine very many 8 mil gp players losing enough that they fall out of kyber. After awhile, the whales that suck at gac will just drop down and beat of the ftp players that have 2 or 3 mil less gp than them. That won't require skill for them to win at that point.

As far as how bad this change will be depends on how many really high gp players there are and how many spots at the top CG is willing to have.

Well, that's the thing I detailed in one of my other posts. Either the initial seeding keeps them separated, and new players (seeded to the bottom) will most likely never get very high, or it doesn't and GP mismatches will be common. The solution would be to let skill rating define your league and division and then pull your 7 opponents for the given run based on GP, but from the SOTG it seems that GP won't be taken into account at all.

I just don't see why GP should be a metric if you have a skill rating. I'm tired of efficiency rosters getting easy matches. I'm tired of hoarding upgrades for GL farms because it'll adversely affect my matchmaking. Ignoring GP (after the initial seeding, which happens one time, ever), seems like a huge improvement to me.

"new players (seeded to the bottom)"

This begs a question. Where will new level 85 players get slotted. At the very bottom with a skill rating of 0 (or whatever the minimum is)?

GP should be a factor because it is a measure of what you have at your disposal. To use an analogy (always a good idea on the forum!) the previous matchmaking matched casual bikers with winners of tour de france. Purely skill-based one will match bicycles with motorbikes as long as both riders are at the same skill level. Neither sounds very good to me.

To improve your analogy. It will match a cyclist with a biker only if they are routinely completing the course in the same amount of time. And if that's the case, who cares what contraption they rode on?

Problem with those analogies is that you dont start of with the same kind of opponents. A 8 million GP player might lose against 3 other 8 million GP players and a 4 million GP player might win against 3 other 4 million GP players, but that doesnt mean they should be matched against eachother.

For a more accurate analogy, lets say a 150 kg wrestler who lost 3 matches in a row in his weightclass got matched against a 80 kg wrestler who won 3 matches in his weightclass. Anyone with half a brain can see the issue here.
  • sloweagle wrote: »
    People who love GAC and think the change is good are missing a simple reasoning, in the past, skills in not in matchmaking, so whatever matchmaking, people with better skills always have an edge, and personally I enjoying beating a stronger rosters with better skills. But going forward , some kinda of skills will be factored into the matchmaking, that edge will be gone.

Mathematically, it simply means moving everyone’s record closer to 6-6. Those 12-0,11-1,10-2, 0-12, 1-11, 2-10 will be increasingly less. So if you are a GAC lover with consistently 10-2 or better record, watching out. It is really simple math.

This is correct.

People who get 10-2 today will need to work their tail off tomorrow to go 6-6.

Grand Arena will be more of a chore than Conquest.
  • Just realised that the skill system will only account victories, if i understood correctly. So no need to full clear to score high, so no need to play offense.

I see walls of GLs in my future.
  • i like changes at a moment i get 75 crystals a day from squad arena but last 3 gac i ended up in kyber so im happy they will increase my crystal income fo same effort
  • A tiny % of this game get large Crystal incomes. They can still get it playing GAC.

The vast majority will love these changes. I should see my Crystal income triple.

It’s time to Git Gewd at GAC. Know your counters. Know your kits. Game on.
    People who love GAC and think the change is good are missing a simple reasoning, in the past, skills in not in matchmaking, so whatever matchmaking, people with better skills always have an edge, and personally I enjoying beating a stronger rosters with better skills. But going forward , some kinda of skills will be factored into the matchmaking, that edge will be gone.

This is correct.

I don't really see it being too much more of a chore. You're basically going to be stuck in a division based on your gp. You can work your tail off to marginally improve your crystal income but you eventually hit a wall you can't cross so no amount of effort will help at that point. Then you just coast and stay as high as you can. That will probably mean losing a lot.

But once you get to the point where it takes extreme effort to win, it probably won't be worth it because if you do win, the next set of matches will likely be just impossible.

This is correct.

The first part is correct in theory. Once you get to higher skill ratings you are for sure going to see tougher opponents and will need to work harder. Just like in Halo, the matchmaking becomes tougher once you get to higher ranks. Teal shields (highest rank) versus bronze (lowest) is night and day. It’ll be the same here which if done properly (their MM algorithm terrifies me).

However it will certainly not be as grindy as conquest. That is like a second job at this point.
  • Night2 wrote: »
    i like changes at a moment i get 75 crystals a day from squad arena but last 3 gac i ended up in kyber so im happy they will increase my crystal income fo same effort

Unless you are at 8 mil gp, you won't be in the new kyber.
  • I can't wait to be in the carbonite division with my 6 million GP. It will be soooo funny!
    Y a un n*a*z*i qui a changé mon nom sans rien me dire...
  • I can't wait to be in the carbonite division with my 6 million GP. It will be soooo funny!

You start on Kyber 4 IIRC
  • ANARCHY187
    56 posts Member
    edited November 2021
    I really Appreciate this move to put crystals in a skill based event. To put an end this the shard chat nonsense that has a small number of players at the top ganging up on other players not in shard chat from climbing. Sqaud arena is not a competitive realm. Its about who u know rather then earning top spots with SKILLS. CG GREAT JOB. U have ppl who support this move. Kudos.

No im not in a shard chat, and still get top 5. Mostly 1st. Battling herds of the same ppl trying to keep me out and i overcome with skill and tactics that are well timed.
  • sloweagle
    485 posts Member
    edited November 2021
    sloweagle wrote: »

This is correct.

Exactly. To illustrate with an extreme simple matchmaking system simply based on win/loss ratio for 12 match tournament. There will be 1 out of 4096 players with 12-0 record and 0-12 record. And 12/4096 players with 11-1 and 1-11 record. These ratios are considerably less than current ratio.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    StarSon wrote: »
    MaruMaru wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »
    I feel like the folks who say this is going to reduce income across the board are letting slip their chat status. Practically speaking, the maximum number of players per arena shard that could get first place in a day was 24. If you think 24 players (maximum) represent the experience of the rest of the player base then you're pretty out of touch. You weren't earning your crystals, you were part of a cartel that conspired to keep the crystals in their little group.

For the rest of us, just being in Carbonite 1 is going to give as many daily crystals as we already get.

So saying that everyone is going to suffer doesn't hold up to scrutiny. The 1% is going to suffer and the rest of us are going to get an increase based on what we deserve, so........

Sucks to be you. Get good at Grand Arena.

You do understand there are multiple arena shards, with new ones popping up all the time right.

You do not like shard chats.... but a newer player that gets #1 because they have the best team in their newer created shard arena will be getting the shaft with this.

Its always bad to take something from players, its never bad to add something.

From the discussion we had, there are some cases where it's a decrease, but overall it's an increase.

When looking at new shards which have the largest active population, this is a blessing, as many of them are averaging a very low income, compared to the average in the new system.

Perhaps a better explaination is needed. The way im reading it newer players (lvl 85) are going to not be anywhere near kyber payouts.

Initial gp will lock them in low. Skill will grow them some, but id think that #1 player with a low gp wont be clearing 500 a day

Yes a small % of players will see lower income, in the situation your are stating.

Are you sure it will be a small %? If skill rating is all that matters, then new players will eventually hit a wall where they can't win because the high leagues are populated by veterans. Unless they heed Carrie's infamous tweet about catching up, of course...

Yes I am sure.

Where do you predict this wall will be?

Was comparing the 110th toon with a guild mate (11 placements = 22 teams = 110 toons). I'm far and away the inferior player (same number of GLs, both have executors), their mods are better. I don't see how I get beat with the bottom of the rosters being what they are. This was with a 700k GP difference (6.3 to ~7M). A 3GL 5M GP roster would be farcical.

Smaller GP rosters cannot compete in the higher leagues if the defensive team placements are fixed. Period.

There is a gp threshold that it matters less, but that's much higher, consider the gp threshold where both players will have 110 reliced toons and only difference can be relic levels. I think this starts around 7.5m gp.

And this means that an account at 4M GP and getting 1st in arena today will have their crystals cut just about in half. They will eventually be able to get back to 500/day, but since they are now bringing in fewer crystals it will take them longer than it would have without this change.

And what about the other 4M GP players in the shard?

No one is saying this isn't a change, but everyone is acting like the only players who are affected are the ones getting first/second every day. What about everyone who is not in that potential 48 player per shard group?

Will it take longer? Didnt they just make the first round of changes that will effect that timeline?

There are many assumptions and guess work going on about where everyone starts and where they will be, but all in all this is better for a large majority of players, and not all of them are at the top.