Doubling relic gear requirement madness

Prev134
This game is near unplayable since they doubled the cost of relic materials. Why do it? Among the library full of bad decisions cg have made over the years, and this is the worst. I'm amazed it gets so little discussion

Replies

• Options
    The drop was ~~doubled, so should be net neutral (more or less)
  • Options
    It isn't though. You require double of specific things, or at least the same things. You don't get that. You get double random stuff. I'm rapidly running out now
  • Options
    It isn't though. You require double of specific things, or at least the same things. You don't get that. You get double random stuff. I'm rapidly running out now
    Everything that had its exchange rate halved had its drop rate doubled.

Can you state an example of what has not been doubled?
  • Options
    It is felt this way due to the daily challenges which were not changed now. Those were changed a year ago - as a part of the same "gear economy" change.
    I think everything would be ok if both changes happened at the same time, with them a year apart the feeling is bad (despite being a positive change in general - long overdue)
  • TVF
    36610 posts Member
    Options
    To be fair the challenges did not double gear, they added missing core gear.

With that said the impact is generally overstated.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • I_JnK_I
    464 posts Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    From scratch, there are 3 gear pieces that are probably used for scrapping.

OP is probably running out faster because

A ) they are progressing faster
    B ) they dont farm the gear to scrap actively
  • Options
    is anybody else getting a million ppl to g12 and 1-2 to relic?
  • Dwinkelm
    768 posts Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    This game is near unplayable since they doubled the cost of relic materials. Why do it? Among the library full of bad decisions cg have made over the years, and this is the worst. I'm amazed it gets so little discussion

You’re about five/six/seven weeks late to the discussion party. It was discussed plenty when the announcement was made.

That’s not to say I disagree with you. Posting in The Road Ahead and expecting the player base to make an extrapolation is far from adequate. At the very least, there should have been an in-game notification, along with an explanation of the consequences of their change.
  • Options
    Sceptog wrote: »

And what about the hundreds of thousands of pieces we all had saved up over YEARS that instantly lost half it's value? Even with the double drops it will be years to get enough to match what we already had. And don't say that "you should have already converted" because hundreds of thousands of players have no access to forums or could have intuitively known this was about to happen
  • Options
    Everything that had its exchange rate halved had its drop rate doubled.

Can you state an example of what has not been doubled?

Doubling the drop rates doesn't make up for people farming gear for 5-6 years non stop and overnight losing half the value of tens of thousands of gear pieces, it will take years even with double drops to end up positive from this change. At the very minimum the gear we already had up until the update should have maintained it's previous value and only the gear that you acquired after the update should have the new halved value and there is no logical argument against this and you know it
  • Options
    OP is 100% right and any attempt to counter this is pointless dev cheerleading. If you wanna be intellectually honest you should at the very minimum support the idea that already farmed gear pre update should have it's original value kept and only gear earned post update should be halved in value.

They essentially robbed of us a crazy amount of relic materials
  • Options
    OP is 100% right and any attempt to counter this is pointless dev cheerleading. If you wanna be intellectually honest you should at the very minimum support the idea that already farmed gear pre update should have it's original value kept and only gear earned post update should be halved in value.

They essentially robbed of us a crazy amount of relic materials

Nearly every content creator and many people here on the forums were advising that people scrap their surplus before the update that contained this change. I know I mentioned it to all of my guild mates because a lot of them don't watch SWGoH content or come to the forums.

Anyone that didn't know about it before it happened was either being willfully ignorant or too far out of the loop to be impacted. If you knew about it and did nothing, that's on you, no one else - we were all given more than enough notice to take action to preserve the value of our gear stash.

I wish they hadn't done it - I need relic materials like everyone else, but stop acting like you woke up one day and suddenly the Jawa Scavenger turned into Scrooge McDuck. At best you're being dishonest with yourself, and at worst you're intentionally trying to stir up drama on the forums.

At this point it isn't about what the Devs did or didn't do - it's about what you as a player did in response to news that you had well ahead of time. If you acted appropriately, the relic value of your gear stash pre-update was preserved. If you failed to take action - that's on you. No one was robbed.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • Options
    Had a stockpile before the change that I forgot to convert to relic stuff.

Now only have half a stockpile. >.<
  • Lumiya
    1487 posts Member
    Options
    we were all given more than enough notice to take action to preserve the value of our gear stash.

I am sorry but I have to disagree here.
    We on the forums - yes, but the players in total - no.
    It's a small percentage of players actively visiting the forums. The bigger part of players did not know about it (if they didn't get the information through someone visiting the forums or watch videos).

Also, it would be CG's job to inform its playerbase in an adequate fashion about changes like this, not other players. An ingame message would have been the least and not very hard to do.
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Options
    They should have %100 sent ingame notice a few times leading to this period. I also didn't want be forced scrap all those gear. Now I ended up getting short of haat gear that wasn't a smidge of a concern before. It was cg's responsibility to figure out a way so that people didn't get double the gear (since this is something cg doesn't want) but also retain the value of what they had without having to do anything. Neither of these things happened. And I'm rather sure that nothing like compensation or even a response about an issue they incured on some unlucky portion of the playerbase will happen. My suggestion would be to either bombard support or just come into terms with happened.
  • Options
    MaruMaru wrote: »
    They should have %100 sent ingame notice a few times leading to this period. I also didn't want be forced scrap all those gear. Now I ended up getting short of haat gear that wasn't a smidge of a concern before. It was cg's responsibility to figure out a way so that people didn't get double the gear (since this is something cg doesn't want) but also retain the value of what they had without having to do anything. Neither of these things happened. And I'm rather sure that nothing like compensation or even a response about an issue they incured on some unlucky portion of the playerbase will happen. My suggestion would be to either bombard support or just come into terms with happened.

While I agree that an in game notice would have been a good idea, I disagree with everything else. CG is not obligated to do anything you seem to think, especially since they posted it in the forums. If people choose not to get or be involved, then they also give up the right to be personally notified. This mentality that CG needed to notify everyone is like saying they have to mail everyone the event calendar, or the roadmaps.

If anyone is upset they lost half of their unused relic scrap hoard, then tell them to start checking the forums so they know what is coming up.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.
  • TVF
    36610 posts Member
    Options
    Sceptog wrote: »

And what about the hundreds of thousands of pieces we all had saved up over YEARS that instantly lost half it's value? Even with the double drops it will be years to get enough to match what we already had. And don't say that "you should have already converted" because hundreds of thousands of players have no access to forums or could have intuitively known this was about to happen

Hundreds of thousands of players have no access to the forums?

Sure.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Options
    nfidel2k wrote: »

While I agree that an in game notice would have been a good idea, I disagree with everything else. CG is not obligated to do anything you seem to think, especially since they posted it in the forums. If people choose not to get or be involved, then they also give up the right to be personally notified. This mentality that CG needed to notify everyone is like saying they have to mail everyone the event calendar, or the roadmaps.

If anyone is upset they lost half of their unused relic scrap hoard, then tell them to start checking the forums so they know what is coming up.

Many notifications send you towards forums "to check in more detail". There doesn't need to be wall of text in game and there never is. If there is nothing such, is it really a normal expectation to check forums at random times -just in case-?

And ofc social diffusion of this information covered a good portion of the playerbase, especially the regulars. This is not akin to a calendar or road map. Those things doesn't actively do any changes to what you have. Since no such notification happened, what would you propose to the effected population being unaware due to something cg didn't do? I'm guessing "git gud" is incoming.
  • Options

Many notifications send you towards forums "to check in more detail". There doesn't need to be wall of text in game and there never is. If there is nothing such, is it really a normal expectation to check forums at random times -just in case-?

And ofc social diffusion of this information covered a good portion of the playerbase, especially the regulars. This is not akin to a calendar or road map. Those things doesn't actively do any changes to what you have. Since no such notification happened, what would you propose to the effected population being unaware due to something cg didn't do? I'm guessing "git gud" is incoming.

To your first question, yes. That’s what being involved means. You stick your head in the sand, fine, but then don’t complain you weren’t notified when it was posted. A lot of things work this way, most notably government. When they pass a new law that you are expected to obey, they don’t mail you a copy. At least not here they don’t. They post it publicly, and after that, including in court proceedings, it is your responsibility to be aware of it.

To your second question, see above. Guildmates can spread the word, or people can get involved at least reading the forums. And, as I stated before, it would have been a good move to do an in game mail, but it’s not CGs fault if they made the information publicly available ahead of time and a group (whatever size) chose to skip it. Definitely not a compensation thing or even a screw up on CG’s part.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Options

To your first question, yes. That’s what being involved means. You stick your head in the sand, fine, but then don’t complain you weren’t notified when it was posted. A lot of things work this way, most notably government. When they pass a new law that you are expected to obey, they don’t mail you a copy. At least not here they don’t. They post it publicly, and after that, including in court proceedings, it is your responsibility to be aware of it.

To your second question, see above. Guildmates can spread the word, or people can get involved at least reading the forums. And, as I stated before, it would have been a good move to do an in game mail, but it’s not CGs fault if they made the information publicly available ahead of time and a group (whatever size) chose to skip it. Definitely not a compensation thing or even a screw up on CG’s part.

Let's not hyperbole to irrelevant things. Being involved or in this case you actually mean being a regular or a forumer shouldn't be a requirement to properly play a mobile game, being a casual doesn't mean that you are now open hunt season and it's all on you. It needed to be posted as an ingame notification which directs to the forums for further details. Didn't happen. End of story.

Naturally you are aware I can't possibly be someone that's effected not knowing about it.
  • Options

Let's not hyperbole to irrelevant things. Being involved or in this case you actually mean being a regular or a forumer shouldn't be a requirement to properly play a mobile game, being a casual doesn't mean that you are now open hunt season and it's all on you. It needed to be posted as an ingame notification which directs to the forums for further details. Didn't happen. End of story.

Naturally you are aware I can't possibly be someone that's effected not knowing about it.

Yes, but that doesn’t change the fact that if people want to know about changes like this, all they have to do is hit mail, then forums, and read.

Could CG have done more? Yes. Was CG required to do more? No. So no compensation, and IMO blame goes to the accounts with their head in the sand over CG.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Options
    I wish that they would provide manual support for the same conversion (most of us did) to such folk assuming they have access to old game states of players (doubt it). And I also know nothing will happen, not even a single response about it.
  • Options

Yes, but that doesn’t change the fact that if people want to know about changes like this, all they have to do is hit mail, then forums, and read.

Could CG have done more? Yes. Was CG required to do more? No. So no compensation, and IMO blame goes to the accounts with their head in the sand over CG.

I think yours is an odd point. CG decided to make a notable change to gear but as far as you're concerned they had no obligation to notify people in game. And yet there is an in-game messaging system that CG uses for other things.

Clearly CG had no such requirement to do so, I don't that is being argued. But I think a fair argument can be made that they should have done so.
  • Options
    AlexanderG wrote: »

I think yours is an odd point. CG decided to make a notable change to gear but as far as you're concerned they had no obligation to notify people in game. And yet there is an in-game messaging system that CG uses for other things.

Clearly CG had no such requirement to do so, I don't that is being argued. But I think a fair argument can be made that they should have done so.

Not as far as I am concerned; it’s as far as the User Agreement every account signs to play. You can read it yourself in the gear icon, under legal.

And no it’s not a fair argument, because ignorance isn’t an excuse. Hopefully the accounts that care start checking the forums. But complaining that CG should have done more instead of the accounts doing more is backwards. CG made it public, and far enough in advance. Stop trying to blame them.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Options

Not as far as I am concerned; it’s as far as the User Agreement every account signs to play. You can read it yourself in the gear icon, under legal.

And no it’s not a fair argument, because ignorance isn’t an excuse. Hopefully the accounts that care start checking the forums. But complaining that CG should have done more instead of the accounts doing more is backwards. CG made it public, and far enough in advance. Stop trying to blame them.

What has legality have to do with it? Are people sueing EA because their gear lost value? By the same token of that agreement they can simply delete your account as well...which is by your logic legit. That agreement also has absolutely nothing specific to this game, it's just a "get our corporate backs covered on all fronts, so noone can do nothing about anything but we have every right to do whatever we want" agreement.
  • Options

In my country, everything official from the governnent is published in the same place. You don't have to search in forums for user help. So your comparison is not valid.
    I'm glad I come to the forum (thanks to all my English teachers), and I'm sorry for all those who don't. They should have been warned in game.
  • Options

What has legality have to do with it? Are people sueing EA because their gear lost value? By the same token of that agreement they can simply delete your account as well...which is by your logic legit. That agreement also has absolutely nothing specific to this game, it's just a "get our corporate backs covered on all fronts, so noone can do nothing about anything but we have every right to do whatever we want" agreement.

I don’t know how or why you keep misreading my posts.

Per the original post I quoted, you assigned responsibility to CG. You also mentioned compensation. As I have stated, and even provided a real world example for, neither applies here.

It’s not about legal or not, that’s just where the agreement is located. And the agreement is not only a legal tool, but it also defines what is the user’s responsibility and what is CG’s. And CG didn’t screw up, so compensation doesn’t apply.

You disagree, fine. I won’t keep going back and forth about personal responsibility. I’ve said it before; just because CG could do something doesn’t mean they had to do it, or that you should be compensated because they didn’t. Would it have been nice? Yes, but it didn’t happen so that’s it.
  • Options

No idea what the relevance is of this at all.

I'm not blaming anyone. I said there's a fair argument (in my view) that CG should have communicated it through in-game messaging.

As for ignorance. Well, ignorance really wouldn't be an excuse if CG messaged the change in-game. But they didn't.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Options

I don’t know how or why you keep misreading my posts.

Per the original post I quoted, you assigned responsibility to CG. You also mentioned compensation. As I have stated, and even provided a real world example for, neither applies here.

It’s not about legal or not, that’s just where the agreement is located. And the agreement is not only a legal tool, but it also defines what is the user’s responsibility and what is CG’s. And CG didn’t screw up, so compensation doesn’t apply.

You disagree, fine. I won’t keep going back and forth about personal responsibility. I’ve said it before; just because CG could do something doesn’t mean they had to do it, or that you should be compensated because they didn’t. Would it have been nice? Yes, but it didn’t happen so that’s it.

Ok, the crust of the matter which we don't agree is that I don't think there's a responsibility to keep checking the forums unless that's prompted directly in the game. You think it does and that's that.

I never talked about compensation...at least not in terms of what we consider compensation in general.
  • TVF
    36610 posts Member
    Options
    I wonder how many people that missed out because they didn't check the forums had the same problem previously for some other thing that was only announced on the forums.