Client restart? -- Dev Comment

Replies

• Kalcor
    92 posts Member
    Options
    This is my theory. (I'm probably way off)

Right now it's just fluff, we haven't hit the real meat and potatoes yet.

Think of the "big update" like a 3 course meal. First you get your pathetic looking ceaser salad (weak **** small update) with moldy croutons, ok ok... I know it just kinda **** you off and makes you want your food even more. But hey, it isn't the waiters fault or your slave significant others for dinner taking so long. They gotta keep you satisfied with something in front of your fat pie hole to fill.

Then... Here it comes, the big one! The mouth watering steak and Poe ta tow plate you have been waiting for (The main update). You've enjoyed it and now are slightly getting stuffed. Your belly and I mean size 48 inch waist for you whales has worked overtime. Someone now removes your plate and offers you a little dessert (bonus shard offers and hella stupid expensive character offers). The meal wasn't enough.. YA GOTTA HAVE MORE!!

After 4 long hours of stuffing your face, you are spent. Time to pay the bill (posts on forums about all the complaints you have about the game).

This in a nutshell are the steps of a large update. Now... Who's hungry?
  • Megadeth3700
    1017 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Changing the look of health bars, while simultaneously (or at least in the same day) changing damage, armor, defense, advantage and adding "protection" is a horrible idea.

"Let's change several variables related to damage and health....then make it hard to understand by changing how health displays!"

"GREAT IDEA!!! SURPRISE!!!!!!!"

Who thinks of this stuff?????

Can you please tone back the complaining all over the forums until things are full updated? that would be pleasant
    ☮ Consular ☮
  • Ackturi
    379 posts Member
    Options
    Don't ask they'll delete post
  • Options
    Most MMOs shut down everything while they update client and server code.

These guys are trying to let users play while it happens. Give them a break.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    GajoNikado wrote: »
    I'm confused. The money goes for the forest or for WWF?

100% of the proceeds from the two one-time Ewok packs go directly to the World Wildlife Fund.

I do not understand why, after literally months of me and many others asking for lower-cost bundles that offer better value, you decided to finally make them available only to a small percentage of the playerbase. Especially since a charity benefits.
    Maybe there's a good reason for this. I don't know. I do remember specifically discussing this with you months ago, and seeing nothing until now. It's pretty disappointing that now that the only reasonable-priced non-starter bundles have finally arrived, they are locked out from the majority of players. Especially since a charity benefits.
    Exclusive event, fine, Android got one (though this one is very clearly better). Exclusive charity bundles? Very uncool.

From what i've been reading aren't these device specific events determined by Android and IOS. If so why does everyone keep getting frustrated at EA or CG for this. Talk about shooting the messenger,
    ☮ Consular ☮
  • Options
    Eh. It's actually a result of us deploying a new client in the era of mobile. When we deploy a client, the initial data that the client uses has to be compatible with both the current client (3.1) and the client we're releasing (3.2). Once the client has successfully propagated to all the Apple/Android servers, then we'll do a forced upgrade to the 3.2 gamedata--which is NOT compatible with the previous client (3.1).

So if we didn't do it the way we do, some players would have access to a client and data that would be starkly different than other players. This creates all sorts of issues, so it's just easier to do the releases in multiple stages :smile:
    Lead Game Designer (Live), Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    @CG_NotReallyAJedi - Thanks for the technical explanation and nice to see you here.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Kalcor
    92 posts Member
    Options
    Eh. It's actually a result of us deploying a new client in the era of mobile. When we deploy a client, the initial data that the client uses has to be compatible with both the current client (3.1) and the client we're releasing (3.2). Once the client has successfully propagated to all the Apple/Android servers, then we'll do a forced upgrade to the 3.2 gamedata--which is NOT compatible with the previous client (3.1).

So if we didn't do it the way we do, some players would have access to a client and data that would be starkly different than other players. This creates all sorts of issues, so it's just easier to do the releases in multiple stages :smile:

Learn I much have. Mmmmm
  • Options
    @CG_NotReallyAJedi - Thanks for the technical explanation and nice to see you here.

You're welcome, and I think you'll be seeing more of me here going forward!
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options

That's welcome news. Cheers and good luck with the update today. I am sure it's a stressful time in the office.
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Options

100% of the proceeds from the two one-time Ewok packs go directly to the World Wildlife Fund.

I do not understand why, after literally months of me and many others asking for lower-cost bundles that offer better value, you decided to finally make them available only to a small percentage of the playerbase. Especially since a charity benefits.
    Maybe there's a good reason for this. I don't know. I do remember specifically discussing this with you months ago, and seeing nothing until now. It's pretty disappointing that now that the only reasonable-priced non-starter bundles have finally arrived, they are locked out from the majority of players. Especially since a charity benefits.
    Exclusive event, fine, Android got one (though this one is very clearly better). Exclusive charity bundles? Very uncool.

From what i've been reading aren't these device specific events determined by Android and IOS. If so why does everyone keep getting frustrated at EA or CG for this. Talk about shooting the messenger,

You are right 100% but I get why Qeltar is salty about this because I was just as salty about the Android exclusives. They shouldn't do them. But,if they are going to do them, they should try to do the exclusives at the same time or at least let people know that there will be something coming. If they would have told us about the Ewok event for Apple, it would have made the complainers happy, me included. I do wish the rewards were the same with the only differences being types of characters. Android got a lot more stuff for free with the droid event (credits, level 3 ability mats, etc).
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If it matters, I was also salty about the Android event. :) Ultimately EA/CG makes the decisions about whether to participate in these things or not. Nobody is forcing them to do this. They are not "messengers", they are willing participants. It's not like Apple coded all that stuff.
    Also, there is no reason they can't have an alternative event running for the other platform at the same time. Why not make a new droid bundle for Android, offer it at the same nearly-free prices with all the proceeds going to, say, organizations that make prosthetics for wounded veterans? Or whatever. This isn't rocket surgery.
    The same could have been done for Apple users last month.
    In general, I do not get the low availability of bundles in this game. It's money constantly left on the table. I've never played a game that ran so few promotions.
  • Options

That corgi is adorable. And thanks for the explanation.
  • Options

That's awesome news. Always nice to have someone in the know on here.
    I am Darth Spartacus
  • papnwors
    749 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

@CG_NotReallyAJedi That's awesome news! Always enjoy reading your posts. They make me laugh and always done good info involved.

• Options
    didn't they say guilds was coming in this update? I'm not finding it.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    tajiena wrote: »

Update isn't out yet, and the guilds are in the next one, later in the month. This is the balancing patch.
  • DV_27
    967 posts Member
    Options
    tajiena wrote: »

That's the next update. They said that one will be late April
  • TMK
    700 posts Member
    Options
    When do you guys think the last update for today will be released? I won't buy shards for Darth Sidious as I heard they will be discounted.
  • Options
    If it matters, I was also salty about the Android event. :) Ultimately EA/CG makes the decisions about whether to participate in these things or not. Nobody is forcing them to do this.
    Also, there is no reason they can't have an alternative event running for the other platform at the same time. Why not make a new droid bundle for Android, offer it at the same nearly-free prices with all the proceeds going to, say, organizations that make prosthetics for wounded veterans? Or whatever. This isn't rocket surgery.
    The same could have been done for Apple users last month.
    In general, I do not get the low availability of bundles in this game. It's money constantly left on the table. I've never played a game that ran so few promotions.

This explanation makes a lot more sense, thanks for the clarification. I guess the only real wonder is how much actually is in Ea/CG control. When dealing with large company's there can be a lot of political/processing issues that get in the way of EA/CG doing what would be better for the game. I'm excluding the possibility of them dropping the ball but I'm guess we never will really know unless you work in that industry/region personally.
    ☮ Consular ☮
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Changing the look of health bars, while simultaneously (or at least in the same day) changing damage, armor, defense, advantage and adding "protection" is a horrible idea.

"Let's change several variables related to damage and health....then make it hard to understand by changing how health displays!"

Can you please tone back the complaining all over the forums until things are full updated? that would be pleasant
    I started one thread about the Dodge sound effects - that's hardly "all over the forums".

If you wish to discuss a point, feel free to do so, if you simply want to post about posters, take it somewhere else. Can you please stop trolling? That would be pleasant.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    This explanation makes a lot more sense, thanks for the clarification. I guess the only real wonder is how much actually is in Ea/CG control. When dealing with large company's there can be a lot of political/processing issues that get in the way of EA/CG doing what would be better for the game. I'm excluding the possibility of them dropping the ball but I'm guess we never will really know unless you work in that industry/region personally.

Thanks for the temperate response.
    I don't blame EA/CG for wanting to take advantage of promotion opportunities. But there are so many better ways of handling things than this.
    You know what, heck with it. I'm going to make my own "Android event". Details later.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    papnwors wrote: »

@CG_NotReallyAJedi That's awesome news! Always enjoy reading your posts. They make me laugh and always done good info involved.

This!! 100000% We love the devs. <3
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Options

I'm Not Really A Jedi is in the official forums! Yaaaay!!!!

But how will I know the good side from the bad?
  • Options

I started one thread about the Dodge sound effects - that's hardly "all over the forums".

If you wish to discuss a point, feel free to do so, if you simply want to post about posters, take it somewhere else. Can you please stop trolling? That would be pleasant.

You right "all over the forums" was a stretch and reading back my comment was a little direct/negative. I am not trolling and there's nothing wrong with posting about posters tho I admit was not done respectfully. My statement is legitimate but was very poorly executed, mainly due to an admitted level of annoyance. Not with you but generally all the complaints with the visual/game play affects. Like the devs clearly say it's going to be a 6 hour process. Yet the forums blow up with complaints about visual changes and various functions not working yet. Needless to say the lack of patience is disturbing. It just so happens, in a short time span I saw two of your seemingly over dramatic post (Sound issue and Health display) and regrettably chose to attack you. For that i do apologize.
    ☮ Consular ☮
  • Options

Thanks for the temperate response.
    I don't blame EA/CG for wanting to take advantage of promotion opportunities. But there are so many better ways of handling things than this.
    You know what, heck with it. I'm going to make my own "Android event". Details later.

No a problem, FYI i do 100% agree with all your comments regarding this topic. It would be ideal for all events to be available to all player base.
    ☮ Consular ☮
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

You right "all over the forums" was a stretch and reading back my comment was a little direct/negative. I am not trolling and there's nothing wrong with posting about posters tho I admit was not done respectfully. My statement is legitimate but was very poorly executed, mainly due to an admitted level of annoyance. Not with you but generally all the complaints with the visual/game play affects. Like the devs clearly say it's going to be a 6 hour process. Yet the forums blow up with complaints about visual changes and various functions not working yet. Needless to say the lack of patience is disturbing. It just so happens, in a short time span I saw two of your seemingly over dramatic post (Sound issue and Health display) and regrettably chose to attack you. For that i do apologize.

No worries - sorry too. I was trying to be "playful" - not over-the-top complaining. Joking/sarcasm never works very well over the internet. :)

• Megadeth3700
    1017 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    RAYRAY wrote: »

You are right 100% but I get why Qeltar is salty about this because I was just as salty about the Android exclusives. They shouldn't do them. But,if they are going to do them, they should try to do the exclusives at the same time or at least let people know that there will be something coming. If they would have told us about the Ewok event for Apple, it would have made the complainers happy, me included. I do wish the rewards were the same with the only differences being types of characters. Android got a lot more stuff for free with the droid event (credits, level 3 ability mats, etc).

Yeah that makes sense, I wish we had some legitimate answer as to why events are device specific. "I have a bad feeling" that we will never get a transparent response to this and will remain fishy.

Another good example that sparks wonder in regards to this topic is the Poe/Phasma shards. I know there was nothing officially posted about the Phasma shards in the updates. But everyone was understanding that Android gets Poe and IOS gets Phasma. Then no Phasma for IOS came out. The official response was basically that IOS is not getting Phasma shards and people should not believe the rumors they see outside of the patch notes. Shortly after the devs responded saying they ordered food to stay late and get IOS Phasma shards. This does make one wonder exactly how much of the control is in dev's hands.
    ☮ Consular ☮
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Options
    RAYRAY wrote: »

Yeah that makes sense, I wish we had some legitimate answer as to why events are device specific. "I have a bad feeling" that we will never get a transparent response to this and will remain fishy.

Another good example that sparks wonder in regards to this topic is the Poe/Phasma shards. I know there was nothing officially posted about the Phasma shards in the updates. But everyone was understanding that Android gets Poe and IOS gets Phasma. Then no Phasma for IOS came out. The official response was basically that IOS is not getting Phasma shards and people should not believe the rumors they see outside of the patch notes. Shortly after the devs responded saying they ordered food to stay late and get IOS Phasma shards. This does make one wonder exactly how much of the control is in dev's hands.

Not sure it is a matter of control, but more a matter of communication between departments. Most of these items fall under marketing. Well, perhaps there isn't enough internal communication between the marketing folks and the people in charge with informing the community. Clearly the "Marketing" folks aren't taking full advantage of the forum and EA_Jesse.
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • Options

I'm Not Really A Jedi is in the official forums! Yaaaay!!!!

But how will I know the good side from the bad?

You'll just have to read all my comments >:D