I now see what the galactic war is all about.

Replies

• nematocyte
    421 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I just keep my arena squad under 30,000. GW is a breeze still finish right around 100 in arena

And this is why the argument for GW being poorly designed and poorly scaled is so strong. You will never finish top 200 arena on my shard with your arena squad or best 5 toons below 30,000.

Edit: Without a lot of luck and multiple refreshes.
  • JRA
    336 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    Hangfire wrote: »
    Rhino wrote: »
    Well, I am level 80, with a deep bench & I struggle, because the last half of GW is almost exclusively teams made up of level 80 Rey, RG & Dooku

Yes, exactly, same here 40+ lvl 80, g9,g10,g11 , 38,000 on arena. It has nothing to do with roster depth, from about the 6th node on is an absolute grind. The ninth node is a brick wall. I could probably send a couple of teams in and get through it, but I got tired of that weeks ago. The game is designed that way, why would they give away free coin, when they know we will get tired of grinding and pay $

Yeah, but, I mean... So what? Do you really need 10 more Crystals and 400 (600?) more Galactic War Bucks each day? One random shard, one purple Ability thing. The credits sure are nice, though...

If you don't finish, you don't finish. Is it the end of the world? Nah...
    Where else are you getting credits?!? The war gives about 400k daily, or 2.8 mill per week. That is my lifeblood. I have tens of thousands of war tokens laying around. Don't care about those. Can't afford the toons I have. Even letting those pile up I'm still farming toons to max shards f2p with no packs WAY faster than I make credits needed to upgrade them.

I am level 80, and I used to snipe #1 in arena once a week or so before they raised the new paywalls to lock out the f2p people, so my arena power isn't really low. But I've finished the war daily for months, and I still need about 60 million credits to upgrade/level toons with max shards only. (I never waste them on low star toons) If you aren't doing the whole war daily there is no point in playing this game f2p. Credit crunch will choke the life out of you.

@DekeVader

It took weeks after unlocking the war to complete it the first time, and I still struggled for almost 2 more months, but getting Barriss was life changing. I used to use 3 healers and 2 DPS. Right now I use:

Barriss (lead)
    RG
    GS
    Rey
    Daka

I have second and third teams to throw in if needed, but that crew can usually finish unaided. I haven't missed one since March. It's made to be a brutal grind daily if you aren't spending, but it can be done, and eventually become easy. Stick to it.

Post edited by JRA on
  • Options
    As some others have mentioned, GW is where I farm credits. Without it, we would be even more credit poor than we are right now. It is really the only reason I run it, since I have nearly every toon in the shop that matters 7*.

As for difficulty, I started playing late November, and haven't lost since early January. Not a whale, but I think I got Barriss and Lumi early, so I have had three healers to throw at it for a while now, though I only run two at this point.
  • Igor08
    221 posts Member
    Options
    GW is the jewel in EA's credit crunch crown. It's the only decent source of credits, so of course they want to make it as difficult and unappealing as possible. They'd much rather you give up and buy a credit pack than finish GW.
    The current state of GW ruins the whole game. Most people level toons so they can max out their A-team and enjoy playing them in arena. I'm currently keeping my A-team at lvl 79 and <36,000 power because I don't want my GW to break and become unplayable once I cross that threshold.
    So I'm essentially farming mats and credits from GW for toons that I can't level up lest I be unable to farm mats and credits from GW. The whole design is self-defeating.
  • Options
    Sarryen wrote: »
    Nope - you just need ewoks! I have completed my last 40 or so GWs with a full ewok (+ daka) team and have never had any problem. Most times, I never need to retreat and finish with full health. On the rare occasion that they lose on one of the later nodes, my big hitters can come in and clear up.

It does take time though, typically about 40 mins as ewoks don't cause much damage!

This. Ewoks are beast in GW.

• Teague
    939 posts Member
    Options
    As far as the equipment farming is concerned, I find it goes well. I needed 50 of something that requires farming from 10 energy dark side battles. Got it in about 9 days, leveling Kylo Ren to gear 9. Now I'm working on Night Sister Initiate. 9 days seems very fair to me. If you expect to gear up your characters at a rate of one a day, this just isn't the game for you. If you were able to max out your team real quick, what would be the point in continuing to play?

The only problem I find is with the Guild only gear. I'm not getting any of those, and don't see myself potentially ever getting any.
  • Slots
    72 posts Member
    Options
    Once you get a good pool or just well geared characters you can easily do auto with one group all the way.
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    Options
    Ewoks + daka
    Chirpa L ee/rg/daka/(omega) jawa

My 1st half/2nd half teams...
  • Options
    As some others have mentioned, GW is where I farm credits. Without it, we would be even more credit poor than we are right now. It is really the only reason I run it, since I have nearly every toon in the shop that matters 7*.

As for difficulty, I started playing late November, and haven't lost since early January. Not a whale, but I think I got Barriss and Lumi early, so I have had three healers to throw at it for a while now, though I only run two at this point.

Agreed with the credit comment
    Slots wrote: »
    Once you get a good pool or just well geared characters you can easily do auto with one group all the way.

Patently false for many to most people.
  • Options
    I don't even do gw anymore:P
    BECAUSE I'M BATMAN - me
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    Teague wrote: »
    As far as the equipment farming is concerned, I find it goes well. I needed 50 of something that requires farming from 10 energy dark side battles. Got it in about 9 days, leveling Kylo Ren to gear 9. Now I'm working on Night Sister Initiate. 9 days seems very fair to me. If you expect to gear up your characters at a rate of one a day, this just isn't the game for you. If you were able to max out your team real quick, what would be the point in continuing to play?

The only problem I find is with the Guild only gear. I'm not getting any of those, and don't see myself potentially ever getting any.

You are in the wrong guild.
    Private message me.
  • Papi
    8 posts Member
    Options
    From what I'm reading it seems like you shouldn't be failing. This might sound dumb but I've come to realize lately that a lot of people don't know about this so just in case... You do know that you can retreat any galactic war battle that isn't going your way so that you start that battle over with your characters hp and cool downs set to how they were before the battle started, right?
  • Luke6108
    370 posts Member
    Options
    Properly gear up your characters and you will find GW very easy.
    In fact, you do not need a very huge roster to complete it. Usually I only use 8-9 characters to form different combinations and I clear GW with 0 death.
  • Options
    I am lvl78 with an arena team of 28k+ GW is boring but usually doable for me. I think two toons that can heal is important. I run (Dooku-L, STHan, Lumi, JC, and QGJ. I have a second squad of all dps that I bring in for tough teams. They can win 2-3 rounds without trouble. It's a grind, but since most teams are 85% the same toons you just figure out the pattern, like old Nintendo games.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, those that offered it.

@papi I have never seen a retreat option for galactic war. Where is the option?

as many have pointed out f2p basically requires you to do GW because it's our major credit grind. Without it I can't train up my toons and no way am I paying cash for it at the price offered. It's the bread and butter for f2p and without being able to do them as a f2p you might as well quit.

Those who have said you never fail but haven't given your group or strategy, how about a little more info? Who are you using? What's your strategy? Help those of us who are struggling out.

• KonaEhukai
    116 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I never beat a GW until I got my hands on Barris. She is definitely the Queen of the GW. I've only lost one in the three months since I got her geared and leveled. That said I really think the Gw is horrible in it's current state.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    Retret is in the menu on the upper left.
  • MrJx3
    257 posts Member
    Options
    I don't think GW is a cash grab, and this is coming from a pretty huge critic of the way things are in this game. GW is meant to be a fun part of the game where you pit all your characters through a gauntlet. The reason why it's not fun anymore is because the rewards are garbage. I am lvl 80 and I use the same squad for GW and in arena (32k power). I've completed GW pretty much every time I bother trying. GW isn't really worth doing right now, but once the rewards get better, maybe people will start playing it more again.
  • Options
    Papi wrote: »
    From what I'm reading it seems like you shouldn't be failing. This might sound dumb but I've come to realize lately that a lot of people don't know about this so just in case... You do know that you can retreat any galactic war battle that isn't going your way so that you start that battle over with your characters hp and cool downs set to how they were before the battle started, right?

I think most people get this. Part of the argument as I see it is you are facing team after team of dodge and protection/tank-heavy nodes that require no skill and too much RNG-retreat-heavy nonsense. It isn't fun--it's downright boring--and as a necessary mechanic of this game, it is ruining people's experience.

For those claiming they 'auto' GW with no issues, I can assure you even a whale cannot come close to autoing the nodes I face on a daily basis. It's impossible.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    nematocyte wrote: »

I think most people get this. Part of the argument as I see it is you are facing team after team of dodge and protection/tank-heavy nodes that require no skill and too much RNG-retreat-heavy nonsense. It isn't fun--it's downright boring--and as a necessary mechanic of this game, it is ruining people's experience.

For those claiming they 'auto' GW with no issues, I can assure you even a whale cannot come close to autoing the nodes I face on a daily basis. It's impossible.

If you cannot auto it all, you should not auto any. Auto is failsauce.

If you are trying to use the same 5 guys to beat 60 opponents, then that is going to be problematic, as well. GW is a fresh puzzle to solve every day. Use your FULL roster to solve it.
  • Big_Boss
    2326 posts Member
    Options
    DekeVader wrote: »
    I'm level 75 and haven't been able to complete a galactic war since I don't remember when. My team eventually gets decimated in one battle. Usually with Dooku who gets 8 attacks in one turn and does it a few times. Yep so very fair. So very encouraging for me to keep playing or think of spending money /sarcasm.
    DekeVader wrote: »
    Well my team is as follows,
    Leader: 7* Luminara
    7* Sideous
    5* Vader
    7* Phasma
    7* Asokha
    All are level 7-8 gear except Vader who is level 9
    And all are sitting at max level 75.

My strategy is to usually try to take out Sideous first if he's there then the heavy hitters then healers.

I get a little further past half way complete before I get decimated, usually in one turn and usually with a Dooku group where he gets 6+ attacks in one turn. Plus more than half my attacks are dodged. At level 75 I shouldn't feel so weak but I do.

So if my team is wrong or my strategy is wrong what's the solution Bangs?

Your team isn't too hot to be honest you should probably use Phasma lead because Luminara is a good lead but you need more jedi to make her have a slightly better effect. I would seriously consider dropping Sidious he is awful and really passes as nothing more then a bothersome toon vader is basically a one hit pony so I would recommend you changing up your squad. Read the forums they are full of great players that know there strategies
  • Big_Boss
    2326 posts Member
    Options
    One more thing is you need a better DPS then just Ahsoka

Please work on rey you will not regret it (unless she is nerfed)
  • nematocyte
    421 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Timitock wrote: »

If you are trying to use the same 5 guys to beat 60 opponents, then that is going to be problematic, as well. GW is a fresh puzzle to solve every day. Use your FULL roster to solve it.

I don't understand your reply. I'd be surprised if even you understood your own comment as a reply to what I said.

GW is a puzzle in the same sense that thrashing your head against a brick wall over and over again hoping to break the least amount of bones is a puzzle.

Given what you said in response to my previous post, I feel the need to ask that you not take my analogy literally.
  • GeoSmolder
    37 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Myshkin333 wrote: »
    Nope - you just need ewoks! I have completed my last 40 or so GWs with a full ewok (+ daka) team and have never had any problem. Most times, I never need to retreat and finish with full health. On the rare occasion that they lose on one of the later nodes, my big hitters can come in and clear up.

It does take time though, typically about 40 mins as ewoks don't cause much damage!

Completely agree. Here's a video of a full GW clear with Chirpa (L), Teebo, EE, RG, and Daka. No restarts and no deaths. Lv 80 on a December-ish server. At the 11:50 mark, node 10, I ran into a decent Jedi team - they didn't get a single turn.

I use this team in arena to easily maintain 50-100 bracket and sometimes dip into sub 50 when I have time to play around the reset time.

The trick to GW is to keep your arena power low. If your goal is to climb as high as you can in arena, you'll do that at the cost of GW difficulty. The beauty of Ewoks is that they are fairly viable in arena, have low power, and absolutely shine in GW.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=89It-cymtmM

Sorry about the few choppy parts in the video. I realized late into it that I had to close other apps on my phone to get the recording to work smoothly. We're all noobs at least once in our lives. ;)

Edit: Fighting starts about a minute into the video. It was a live stream that I haven't edited.
  • Hangfire
    497 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    GeoSmolder wrote: »

Completely agree. Here's a video of a full GW clear with Chirpa (L), Teebo, EE, RG, and Daka. No restarts and no deaths. Lv 80 on a December-ish server. At the 11:20 mark, node 10, I ran into a decent Jedi team - they didn't get a single turn.

I use this team in arena to easily maintain 50-100 bracket and sometimes dip into sub 50 when I have time to play around the reset time.

The trick to GW is to keep your arena power low. If your goal is to climb as high as you can in arena, you'll do that at the cost of GW difficulty. The beauty of Ewoks is that they are fairly viable in arena, have low power, and absolutely shine in GW

Sorry about the few choppy parts in the video. I realized late into it that I had to close other apps on my phone to get the recording to work smoothly. We're all noobs at least once in our lives. ;)

Your Teebo is lvl 73, case closed, next.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options

I don't understand your reply. I'd be surprised if even you understood your own comment as a reply to what I said.

GW is a puzzle in the same sense that thrashing your head against a brick wall over and over again hoping to break the least amount of bones is a puzzle.

Given what you said in response to my previous post, I feel the need to ask that you not take my analogy literally.

OK, then, whine it is impossible, and ask for them to make it easier for you... it has worked in the past. Good luck with that.
  • GeoSmolder
    37 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    GeoSmolder wrote: »

Completely agree. Here's a video of a full GW clear with Chirpa (L), Teebo, EE, RG, and Daka. No restarts and no deaths. Lv 80 on a December-ish server. At the 11:20 mark, node 10, I ran into a decent Jedi team - they didn't get a single turn.

The trick to GW is to keep your arena power low. If your goal is to climb as high as you can in arena, you'll do that at the cost of GW difficulty. The beauty of Ewoks is that they are fairly viable in arena, have low power, and absolutely shine in GW

Your Teebo is lvl 73, case closed, next.

I'm not sure what case you're talking about. You previously said that it gets hard around node 6 and 9 is a "brick wall." However, here is proof that the entire GW can be completed with one lineup.

You also stated:
    Just to make things simple, if you are not at level cap with multiple high level toons, we know GW is easy to finish.
    I'm at level cap and have multiple high level toons. This has absolutely nothing to do with the difficulty of GW.

It has been stated multiple times in various threads that GW difficulty is based on the highest arena powered team used for an arena win.

I'm just having trouble understanding the relevance of the 73 Teebo comment.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Today i managed to do GW with essentially one team. One healer. Lvl 78.
  • Options

OK, then, whine it is impossible, and ask for them to make it easier for you... it has worked in the past. Good luck with that.

Should I remain unsurprised that you have once again misrepresented my words?

The only claim I've made of anything being 'impossible' is finishing a GW on my account on auto with no issues. Say something relevant and intelligent to what's *actually* being posted here or go away.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options

Should I remain unsurprised that you have once again misrepresented my words?

The only claim I've made of anything being 'impossible' is finishing a GW on my account on auto with no issues. Say something relevant and intelligent to what's *actually* being posted here or go away.

Actually, you claimed it was impossible for anyone... go read it, you wrote it.
    You also compared it to banging your head on a wall, something you obviously have a lot of experience with, I defer to your experience on that point. It is, however, safe to assume that you were describing an effort in futility.

It is quite possible that your words were not misinterpreted, and that they are just nonsense.

GW requires patience and strategy. Those are the areas you should improve on.