Player Created Galactic War posts - MERGED HERE

Replies

• Options
    IMHO what needs to be done.

Apologise for making such a big change without notice.
    Revert it back to old system and even penalise force close (it's a cheat, you lose a character you shouldn't get a do over)
    Compensate all players for mistake(both the implementation and not telling anyone)
    -15 Vader shards, several training droids should do the trick

It's not cheating. @CG_AaronNemoyten said that turning retreat into force close was CG's way of telling us that they just see it as part of the game, much like the previous implementation of retreat that was also not cheating.

Try reading the thread you're posting in.

Also, catering to the **** that thought it was cheating is why it was made into what we have now, so good job!

They had 2 different ways to retreat, they wanted to cut that down to 1. It would be harder to stop the FC loophole than to change the intended design of retreat. You can tell retreat was intended to work that way because the gw retreat saving current status is different than any other game mode retreat.

So basically they took the easier and cheaper road. Don't pretend for a second that FC was ever more legitimate.
  • Azraelrulez
    1908 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Darivon wrote: »
    So: Thanks CG for taking away the EASY/CHEESY/EFFICIENT option = Old Retreat so my Brain doesn't have to argue with my Integrity anymore.

Getting why you like the changes, not agreeing, but getting it. But what does a in built game mechanism have to do with your integrity :lol:? Getting a bit too much into alternative spirituality :wink:? Come on, o self righteous guru, share!
    Post edited by Azraelrulez on
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    There's actually two GWs now: one for newer players and one for older players.
    For newer players, they will run into teams that they cannot beat with all of their players, no matter how many times they retreat. They will be completely stuck. There is no strategy they can use to deal with tougher teams as there was before, really, because the only way to use more than 5 chars is if some of them die, and then they likely will lose everything 1 or 2 rounds later. For them, GW is tedious and frustrating. (Half the older players who like this change seem to like it solely because it makes it hard for others.)
    For older players, all risk of ever losing a character is now gone. Any time things go the wrong way, simply restart and do things differently. As many times as you want. Run with a bunch of healers and stunners and ability blockers and eventually you will win every match. No risk of death means no challenge. So for newer players, it is tedious and boring. You get your 15 shards and other goodies, but there's no intellectual challenge at all.
    This is what CG has done with this completely unnecessary change: made GW either tedious and frustrating, or tedious and boring. The only constant: tedious.
    I'm still shocked that they did this. I really like the people who run this game personally and am shocked at the judgment that led to this decision.

@Qeltar Got to agree here man. It is just a bad call. So many other things need fixing. Like drop rates, toon bugs, RNG. I mean come on I spent 300 crystals to try and get enough purple mats to upgrade something in 2 full cantinas plus what they give for leveling up I got 1 purple mat. The ROI and fun factor on this game is dropping so rapidly I'm unsure if I will remain P2P and I have spent a decent amount per week. Now it is more **** and face palm, and are you kidding me, or oh come on moments than yeah this is fun moments. Farming is an utter joke. I can do 6 refills and not even fill 1 gear slot. Heck yesterday 4 refills did not even fill me up 1 slot in 1 of the gear slots,lol.

To give example I would by a vault anytime I dropped into the 2.5-3k range in crystals, so 2-3 per week. I'd buy the vault, use the excess over the vault on Chron. The example here is I'm at 1.5. I have not been this low on crystals since like my 3rd day playing, but I'm finding it hard to want to spend money on this game anymore. I really want to because I liked the idea of it, but with the blatant attempt to just grab money with this GW change, with the utterly pathetic drop rates, with the fact that you always get 75% or less the reward on the challenges I just find it very hard to want to put anymore money into this game.

I agree completely and I'm not spending another dime on this game. It used to be a lot of fun, couldn't wait until morning when daily reset and I had full health. Now I could really care less and I'm close to moving on unless they fix this debacle. I haven't spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars like some, but I have spent enough and planned on spending more in the future. GW is a complete disaster now and it took all of the fun out of the game for me. Oh well, what do you expect from money grabbers. Between work and taking care of kids this was my only little fun thing I got to do for myself when I get time. Back to being an adult full time now lol.
  • Options
    I'm in the camp that thinks that retreating should have worked similar to how it was before but left buffs/debuffs, but I understand why they did it this way.

The FC issue is probably difficult to impossible to fix. You'd probably have to either send the data of what happened each turn to the server (way more traffic) or save it on the device (security risk, more software to update) so there aren't a lot of good options on how to fix it. Solving it by making it act the same as retreat is a pretty elegant solution.

I don't think you need to pay to do well at GW. Perhaps it's because my lineup is more geared towards GW, but I haven't had an issue with it being too difficult in the past or now. I'm level 57, have 17 wins, am totally F2P and I my squad are all levels 50-53 with 3-5 stars (Sid is the only one with 6 stars). Two or three have level VII gear and most are V or VI. I think I only lost the first couple GW's and I was several completions in before I even knew about retreating.
  • Options
    Free to play ish ($15) full clear lvl 60 first run no deaths.

Bariss (L) 4*
    Jc 5*
    Lumi 7*
    Sid 7*
    Fives 6*

Same three healer bariss leader strat I've been running from get go. Heal first round with luminara almost every fight to avoid a burst death and have cd up every match. Jc heal as needed and use Bariss in an emergency. You just need to make a GW team.

You will see more diverse teams as people expand their rosters. This game is in its infancy.
  • Sonoren
    32 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Cut and put into first post... Didn't realize we could edit posts at first
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    FC was hard to completely fix, but easy to make so that people had a disincentive to try it. They already fixed it with PvP: if you force-close, you lose the match.
    For GW, they could have made it something like "if the match does not complete, all characters that started the match have their health reduced by 15% from what they were before".
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    SlyGambit wrote: »
    Breetai wrote: »
    If GW had started out like this there would not be one complaint. GW was actually ment to be like this, that's why they changed it

It clearly was not. The retreat function was modified specifically for GW which is the only real part of the game where the retreat function was actually used.

EA/CG is on record that they did not like that the force exploit and retreat functions were available so they modified the only one they could easily modify to match the behavior of the other.

They did it for expediency not to meet any intended game business requirements. Had they 'intended' GW to be played this way it would have called it 'restart' or 'load from last save' some other more obvious verbiage. The very definition of retreat is that you fall back. Not that you restart.

Even on reddit the dev stated that the pre-patch 'retreat' was considered an exploit and they certainly did not envision it that way.

Going off from verbatim is simply not going to prove you right whether it is called retreat or restart.
  • Darivon
    134 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Getting why you like the changes, not agreeing, but getting it. But what does a in built game mechanism have to do with your integrity :lol:? Getting a bit too much into alternative spirituality :wink:? Come on, o self righteous guru, share!
    Heh yeah that last sentence might have been a bit too much :D .
    But you know what i mean. Something like :
    In every one of your deeds there should be at least a grain of self-congruence. No matter how small or unimportant. ;)
  • Options
    IMO she remained an excellent character in GW, and wouldn't say she's more important now. She's just one of a few really good leaders for GW
  • Options
    This is directed at those who say "the new GW is awesome, way better and easier than it was before" please explain to me how the **** I am supposed to beat this;

d3qWduI.jpg

With this;

zSS6ez0.jpg

a6FXdf0.jpg

As you keep pointing out, players like me are scrubs and only you mighty few elite know how to beat GW in its current format, so I bow down to your amazing prowess.

The new GW is bollocks, I will now miss out on rewards for battles 9-12 costing me shards, money, training droids and ability materials. It's a shame, I was going to start spending a couple of hundred pounds each month to keep up with the top players on my server, but now CG can go suck an egg as they won't be getting a penny off me for this broken excuse for a game.

You need more healers. I have maxed out level 7 only 5 chars, and those include Talia, Luminara and Daka. But I have a 5 JC and a 4 Barris.

To beat GW without gimmicks you need to heal a lot because they debuffs, self buffs, and taunts now make your team take the damage they normally do.

did you send a team D-team of meatbags to lose and absorb their soecials? I've read it works the same as before. But you must lose those chars.

• Options
    So whether or not you think the 'new' GW is an improvement, I think most people still find it very tedious and boring. I want to change that.

How to make it more fun? There should be a "super boss" at the end of GW that unlocks at level 70. It should come one node after the usual end, with the boss being level 80, gear XI. You have to rotate your entire remaining team to try to defeat him. Even if you don't kill him, you still get a reward for damage done.

And, to keep things fresh, the end boss should change daily. So one day you'll face an uber-powerful Emperor Palpatine and the next it's Jedi Luke. Then Han or Leia, and so on. They could have a rotating stable of end bosses made up of legendary characters from the Star Wars universe. This would provide a lot more variety in the experience. Winning would feel like a real accomplishment rather than just a grind.

Now, for this to work they'd need to make a couple other changes to GW:
    1) tone down the over leveled opponents earlier in GW
    2) actually have your characters heal in between battles (like the description of GW suggests, i believe), so that low-health characters aren't as good as dead

I hope @CG_AaronNemoyten @EA_Jesse will give this a look and pass along to the dev team. I think this would really help revive what many find to be a stale game mode.

Hodor
  • Options
    I am no whale, but over $1,500 in a few weeks I'm not a lite spender either. I'd say I averaged about $350 per week spent.

You are a whale
  • Options
    The reality is you needed to do better on previous battles or use the 'load most recent save' option aka retreat then. Even so you'll probably never get through these battles. I assume you have some dead characters below what you show but even with the previous GW retreat function you need to be able to field more than just 3-4 guys matching your level.

The issue is, on the battle before I faced a team of Sid, Vader, Dooku, Maul and Kylo and no matter how many times I restarted and no matter how many configurations I tried, I could not beat them without losing a character and most of my main teams health. Believe me I tried, but there are limitations as to what one can do v maxed out level 60 purple enemies.
  • Options
    This is directed at those who say "the new GW is awesome, way better and easier than it was before" please explain to me how the **** I am supposed to beat this;

d3qWduI.jpg

With this;

zSS6ez0.jpg

a6FXdf0.jpg

As you keep pointing out, players like me are scrubs and only you mighty few elite know how to beat GW in its current format, so I bow down to your amazing prowess.

The new GW is bollocks, I will now miss out on rewards for battles 9-12 costing me shards, money, training droids and ability materials. It's a shame, I was going to start spending a couple of hundred pounds each month to keep up with the top players on my server, but now CG can go suck an egg as they won't be getting a penny off me for this broken excuse for a game.

You need more healers. I have maxed out level 7 only 5 chars, and those include Talia, Luminara and Daka. But I have a 5 JC and a 4 Barris.

To beat GW without gimmicks you need to heal a lot because they debuffs, self buffs, and taunts now make your team take the damage they normally do.

did you send a team D-team of meatbags to lose and absorb their soecials? I've read it works the same as before. But you must lose those chars.

I couldn't as I had to send them in the round before when I faced a level 60 team of Sid, Vader, Dooku, Maul and Kylo.
  • Options
    Breetai wrote: »
    Here I'll help

YAY!!!!!! I can beat GW ( just did actually ). I have 18 characters max lvl. With 10 in gear 7. GW is so easy.

What? You can't beat it? HAHAHA sucks to be you.

Honestly stop the complaining. Learn how to play with the changes are leave. These forums have been horrible since the update.

If GW had started out like this there would not be one complaint. GW was actually ment to be like this, that's why they changed it

Translated; "I spend loads of money on the game because I have nothing better to do with it"

It's supposed to be a f2p game, and sure advantage should always be with the spenders but to make a core game mode more or less impossible after the level 60+ spenders have already exploited an apparently broken mechanic time and time again is ****.
  • Options
    There's always two sides to a coin I guess. Everyone has their opinions.

"there is absolutely nothing in gaming that is more cheesy than "this didn't go my way so I'm reloading the save game and starting over as if it never happened so the RNG goes my way"

How is force closing more cheesy than retreating after a team debuffed or health blocked you, And coming back like nothing happened? That team still injured and with no cooldowns?

This patched GW and the before is powerful boring either way, I'm galactic war'd out but still trying to get my teebo. But I understand where you guys are coming from, this was short notice and some forewarning would have been great.
    467-325-146
    Pretty good collection of characters so far and GROWING
  • Options
    That's a fantastic idea! Being able to use all your characters even at low levels would still be great fun. Too many game modes require you to use only a couple characters. This would let us at least play with our entire roster. Seems like a pretty easy add as well. Maybe even add the option to skip last few nodes and move straight to the boss if you feel you're unable to beat GW that day.
  • Options
    The reality is you needed to do better on previous battles or use the 'load most recent save' option aka retreat then. Even so you'll probably never get through these battles. I assume you have some dead characters below what you show but even with the previous GW retreat function you need to be able to field more than just 3-4 guys matching your level.

The issue is, on the battle before I faced a team of Sid, Vader, Dooku, Maul and Kylo and no matter how many times I restarted and no matter how many configurations I tried, I could not beat them without losing a character and most of my main teams health. Believe me I tried, but there are limitations as to what one can do v maxed out level 60 purple enemies.

Kylo and Sid enemies, when starred up are a pain in neck. They will apply immunity to at least one if not more chars. Unless you have Daka or maybe two stunners, they will mess tour next fight.

People, please stop using Kylo in GW! We are jyst making it harder for everyone
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I wish everyone would stop referring to "retreat" as a strategy. It is as much of a strategy as force close was... which means, it isn't a strategy.

Both retreat and force close are cheesing it. You are doing everything in your power to limit damage taken while maximizing damage output.

Testing strategies is so much better with this new method, because you get to play out an entire battle with your team. You get to see the synergies etc. Using retreat, you could test for a few turns until you killed one of their guys and then retreat so you can "lock in" your kill.

Blows my mind that people think retreat was some sort of incredible strategy, ESPECIALLY considering they removed it. The developers determined it wasn't the correct approach and fixed it. So, in my mind, the thing they fixed should be considered the cheesiest of all!

PS: I have been 60 for a while, but I have not seen any change since the update in the teams I face. If anything, barriss is more popular now which makes it easier.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Barrok wrote: »
    I wish everyone would stop referring to "retreat" as a strategy. It is as much of a strategy as force close was... which means, it isn't a strategy.
    It absolutely was a strategy. You had to decide when to use it, because it also removed your own buffs. You had to choose who to sub in and when. You had to manage cooldowns. You got to use many characters in each fight.
    But more than that, retreating would not protect you from characters getting killed. Force-closing (or the new "retreat" which is just force-closing) means you can never have any bad luck affect your game.

Go read my now-useless guide in the Guides section. It describes many different ways to use retreat strategically.
    Blows my mind that people think retreat was some sort of incredible strategy, ESPECIALLY considering they removed it. The developers determined it wasn't the correct approach and fixed it. So, in my mind, the thing they fixed should be considered the cheesiest of all!

They didn't make this change because it was the right solution. They made it because it was the easy solution.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    Not everyone should beat GW. If 100% success rate was there goal then they wouldn't even need you to play it, just log in and get the rewards.

Think of completing GW as a challenge, and approach it as such.
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    Go read reddit, the dev on reddit specifically said retreat wasn't the intent of the development team.

You are wrong Qeltar, I am sorry.
  • Options
    Not everyone should beat GW. If 100% success rate was there goal then they wouldn't even need you to play it, just log in and get the rewards.

Think of completing GW as a challenge, and approach it as such.

I approach any mode in any game as a challenge, but when I know that without investing money that I have 0 chance of getting the 20 GW completions reward and the 3 Vader shards that go with it, that annoys me. The only thing they are doing here is extending the already large gap between high level spenders and lower level f2pers.
  • Jabberwocky
    1809 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Yes, you can throw meat into the grinder to soak up the specials, they just have to all die. Luckily, my opponents obliged by erasing them all post haste.

I needed to sacrifice 15 toons to get through my last 3 GW battles. The last was all level 61(less than 12 hours after update!!! Think of the credits and droids let alone the XP required?) but it was the 10th that gave me the most grief.
    I spent 45 minutes just on that one encounter trying every possible permutation to no avail before I used the sacrificial lambs.

I couldn't clear Han's taunt fast enough to avoid the crit fest by the other toons, especially Resistance Pilot.
    My Ventress and Mace were too slow.
    My Droid team couldn't survive a round even with a 5* Lobot leader granting 21 speed and 10% potency.
    My Daka and Dooku were only half strength so didn't survive the opening round even if they got stuns, I couldn't keep up with Talia's and Ahsoka's heals and Sid kept heal blocking me while Han controlled the turn meter.
    It was impossible with the state of my mains going in so I threw in the towel and chucked a bunch of Ewoks, Stormtroopers and Coruscant Police at them to take the brunt.
    Round 10
    14scuf5.png

Round 11
    2wm3upu.png

Round 12
    15yivkn.jpg
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • Options
    FC was hard to completely fix, but easy to make so that people had a disincentive to try it. They already fixed it with PvP: if you force-close, you lose the match.
    For GW, they could have made it something like "if the match does not complete, all characters that started the match have their health reduced by 15% from what they were before".

I was going to comment and the saw it was you Qeltar, which I appreciate a lot. So I will just say be careful what you ask, they may add 15% wear down and not bring back past retreat as the devs on Reditt sayd they weren't happy with pre-patch Retreat at all.

I think you want a Retreat that keeps buffs and state but you can switch chars. And part of the problem is the feeling that Restarting was not ok, somehow.

• Options
    Go read reddit, the dev on reddit specifically said retreat wasn't the intent of the development team.

You are wrong Qeltar, I am sorry.

Was a useless keycard battle table their intent? Was broken Asaji their intent? Was broken Leia their intent? They fixed one game mode which very few complained about and left the many many issues that everyone complained about. Bad management of a good game IMO.
  • Options
    Llewella wrote: »
    Free to play ish ($15) full clear lvl 60 first run no deaths.

Bariss (L) 4*
    Jc 5*
    Lumi 7*
    Sid 7*
    Fives 6*

Same three healer bariss leader strat I've been running from get go. Heal first round with luminara almost every fight to avoid a burst death and have cd up every match. Jc heal as needed and use Bariss in an emergency. You just need to make a GW team.

You will see more diverse teams as people expand their rosters. This game is in its infancy.

I breeze through GW. Had you read my post you'd have seen that the cookie cutter 3 heal teams like you just posted are dull to play against when it is 12 strait cookie cutters. Those teams are easy to slaughter and offer ZERO challenge to beat in GW.

I was seeing diverse teams before, now all I see is Barriss with 2 other healers. Boring. Your round by round is fine for attacking, but I can make your team blow all 3 heals round 1 every single time, then you die in round 2. Where is the fun or challenge doing that 12 times? That is the point of this post. I went throiugh GW with 1 healer and smoked it the new way.
  • Options
    Llewella wrote: »
    I am no whale, but over $1,500 in a few weeks I'm not a lite spender either. I'd say I averaged about $350 per week spent.

You are a whale

Than I am no more because I don't care for the changes. It made it boring to me, and hurt the F2P base, which I don't care for.
  • ThalosKirano
    728 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It absolutely was a strategy. You had to decide when to use it, because it also removed your own buffs. You had to choose who to sub in and when. You had to manage cooldowns. You got to use many characters in each fight.
    But more than that, retreating would not protect you from characters getting killed. Force-closing (or the new "retreat" which is just force-closing) means you can never have any bad luck affect your game.

Go read my now-useless guide in the Guides section. It describes many different ways to use retreat strategically.

They didn't make this change because it was the right solution. They made it because it was the easy solution.

They made it because it's the most financially sound solution; Spend money to unlock the characters required to beat GW or risk getting left way behind by your rivals.