The Policy on Cheaters

Replies

  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    meladekk wrote: »
    Barrok wrote: »
    meladekk wrote: »
    "They will be moved to a different leaderboard that contains only cheaters or exploiters."

    LOL. Dumbest idea I've ever heard. So we are going to let hackers continue in the game? When a dev takes such a lax response towards hackers, why would anyone want to play legit? Why be a whale and spend $2000 when your modded game has hereos that one shot everyone? Who cares what leaderboards you are in - no one even knows how many leaderboard they are in or the name of their shards. If i knew I could play the game with godmode/gem hacks/whatever hacks there are out there, I'll just not spend a single cent and just hack. I'll get to see all the content.

    And its so obvious why this option is available - Beacuse Google Play instant refunds ANY PLAYERS whos accounts are banned, regardless of the reason why. Thus, if players have spent before, EA being greedy is not going to want to lose that money. So they get around it and keep their account active, but in another server. No refunds can be given. Hurray!


    This is similar to what Marvel Puzzle Quest does with cheaters. They don't ban them, rather they "sandbox" there account which allows them to continue to cheat all they want. The problem is, they can't win any rewards from any events. PVP they can fight against someone, but the person they beat loses no points. They also don't show up as someone to battle on pvp. So in essence, they are playing the game by themselves.

    This is not the "dumbest idea ever", in fact it is a great idea. Putting all cheaters together means they are just battling themselves, no one is caught in the cross fire.

    Why then would anyone NOT want to cheat?

    I'm sure many players spend on the game without the sole purpose of climbing a leaderboard which most people don't really care about.

    A simple analogy - Hacking in game is like defying the laws and logic of a game. Translated to real life, it would be breaking the law of physics and logic.
    Would you rather be in 1. the real world, or 2. A sandbox world where you can break the law of physics and fly and be an instant millionaire? Who cares if the other people in that new world are similarly as powerful as you? you derived enjoyment from the thing that world offers you.

    Why would I not want to cheat? Well, cause I want to join a guild that has competition. I want to play the game fair. I want to have real pvp battles, instead of 2 second insta kill battles.

    You make it sound like it is fun, but in reality it will just get boring. If you really like the game, you would play it fair. If you don't care, then you hack and get access to every character and insta win battles.

    PS: In Marvel Puzzle quest they wouldn't allow sandboxed players to join alliances. So you really only played by yourself, since you couldn't get attacked, couldn't affect anyone elses scores, couldn't get rewards, and couldn't join an alliance. It was only good to get the latest and greatest and post it on your youtube channel as some guide for others.

  • Options
    Noci wrote: »
    So, 2 of the 3 options involve basically letting the cheaters continue to play the game? What jokes these developers are. I guess having more players and getting more sales trumps all.

    Cheaters and exploiters. Believe it or not, there is a huge difference between hacking a game and exploiting in game devices. There should also be a difference in punishments.
  • Options
    Barrok wrote: »
    meladekk wrote: »
    Barrok wrote: »
    meladekk wrote: »
    "They will be moved to a different leaderboard that contains only cheaters or exploiters."

    LOL. Dumbest idea I've ever heard. So we are going to let hackers continue in the game? When a dev takes such a lax response towards hackers, why would anyone want to play legit? Why be a whale and spend $2000 when your modded game has hereos that one shot everyone? Who cares what leaderboards you are in - no one even knows how many leaderboard they are in or the name of their shards. If i knew I could play the game with godmode/gem hacks/whatever hacks there are out there, I'll just not spend a single cent and just hack. I'll get to see all the content.

    And its so obvious why this option is available - Beacuse Google Play instant refunds ANY PLAYERS whos accounts are banned, regardless of the reason why. Thus, if players have spent before, EA being greedy is not going to want to lose that money. So they get around it and keep their account active, but in another server. No refunds can be given. Hurray!


    This is similar to what Marvel Puzzle Quest does with cheaters. They don't ban them, rather they "sandbox" there account which allows them to continue to cheat all they want. The problem is, they can't win any rewards from any events. PVP they can fight against someone, but the person they beat loses no points. They also don't show up as someone to battle on pvp. So in essence, they are playing the game by themselves.

    This is not the "dumbest idea ever", in fact it is a great idea. Putting all cheaters together means they are just battling themselves, no one is caught in the cross fire.

    Why then would anyone NOT want to cheat?

    I'm sure many players spend on the game without the sole purpose of climbing a leaderboard which most people don't really care about.

    A simple analogy - Hacking in game is like defying the laws and logic of a game. Translated to real life, it would be breaking the law of physics and logic.
    Would you rather be in 1. the real world, or 2. A sandbox world where you can break the law of physics and fly and be an instant millionaire? Who cares if the other people in that new world are similarly as powerful as you? you derived enjoyment from the thing that world offers you.

    Why would I not want to cheat? Well, cause I want to join a guild that has competition. I want to play the game fair. I want to have real pvp battles, instead of 2 second insta kill battles.

    You make it sound like it is fun, but in reality it will just get boring. If you really like the game, you would play it fair. If you don't care, then you hack and get access to every character and insta win battles.

    PS: In Marvel Puzzle quest they wouldn't allow sandboxed players to join alliances. So you really only played by yourself, since you couldn't get attacked, couldn't affect anyone elses scores, couldn't get rewards, and couldn't join an alliance. It was only good to get the latest and greatest and post it on your youtube channel as some guide for others.

    The thing is, in SWGOH, you are pretty much playing by yourself. There is no social function at all, other than looking at random names going up and down a leaderboard. You can have the same sense of a 'social feature' on a hacked leaderboard as much as a real one.
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    Options
    meladekk wrote: »
    ... The correct statement is - which jail has a complete functioning society where you can enjoy life in jail as much as life outside jail. A jail which has bungalows and swimming pools and skyscrapers...

    This one?
    http://loweringthebar.net/2015/08/inmate-paddles-to-freedom.html
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    Options
    I have no problem with option 3. Disable dailies refreshes and only allow energy to be purchased through the store. This gets past the issue where Google or iOS will refund based on banning. Gets them off of the servers where the majority of people play.

    People have to remember, that cheaters and hackers make up less percentage of players than the forum members do, which is a small percentage. Most players don't even know there is a forum and probably only suspect people are cheating the game.
  • Noci
    81 posts Member
    Options
    meladekk wrote: »
    The thing is, in SWGOH, you are pretty much playing by yourself. There is no social function at all, other than looking at random names going up and down a leaderboard. You can have the same sense of a 'social feature' on a hacked leaderboard as much as a real one.

    Exactly. This game has 0 social aspects to it. Making someone play by themselves, or on a cheaters-only server, is hardly a real punishment. This is all driven by dollars and cents, and it's sad to see. Though, I have to say, not unexpected.
  • Options
    I think it will be funny as let them destroy each other lol
  • Otar
    252 posts Member
    Options
    No clue why you guys are so angry!!! Finally they did something!!! After 2 months they DID SOMETHING!!! Not the best, not what we all wanted, not the perfect solution, but who cares? At least they FINALLY DID SOMETHING!!!
  • DarkAgeOutlaw
    31 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    EA_Jesse wrote: »
    They will be moved to a different leaderboard that contains only cheaters or exploiters.

    I'm fine with this as long as no one from a normal server will ever face any team from the cheater leaderboard in GW.

    Edit: And they only face each other in GW as well.
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    Noci wrote: »
    meladekk wrote: »
    The thing is, in SWGOH, you are pretty much playing by yourself. There is no social function at all, other than looking at random names going up and down a leaderboard. You can have the same sense of a 'social feature' on a hacked leaderboard as much as a real one.

    Exactly. This game has 0 social aspects to it. Making someone play by themselves, or on a cheaters-only server, is hardly a real punishment. This is all driven by dollars and cents, and it's sad to see. Though, I have to say, not unexpected.

    Ok, let me get this straight.

    Us legit players are mad to see us get dropped in PVP by a cheater. We report said cheater. Cheater gets moved to a different server with only cheaters and can't affect legit players anymore.

    Problem is solved right? Legit players were affected and action was taken. Why do you care so much about what happens to the person after that? Isn't your game now full of legit players and everyone should be happy?

    It's one thing to have a cheater get a bunch of sweet rewards, and then stop cheating and wreck all the legit players... it's another to have cheaters beat down cheaters without affecting legit players. Please be happy they even caught the cheater in the first place!



  • Options
    Regardless of the measures, it has better be put in place soon. Hackers are especially dominant on the newer servers (January onwards). My alt server average level is 45. There is one whale at 55 with 20k power and 7star QGJ and FOTP. And then there are 5 hackers with level 40 accounts with chewie lead taking #1-5 daily. Its ridiculous.
  • meladekk
    21 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The reason I'm mad is because hackers will get to enjoy the game in their hacked server as much as legit players do. Bored by farming 20 purple epic gear? No problem! Mod the game and get 100 purple gear instantly! Bored with energy refill? Infinite energy refills! Play to your hearts content and see all that the game has to offer at your own pace!

    SWGOH is 95% a single player game. I know that I for one wouldn't be spending a single penny on a game when I can just go and mod my game instead and get whoever I want for free with less effort. And yes, I am familiar with the capabilities of the hacks in SWGOH. I even sent an email link to the download page of the mod and got back a generic response.

    Think about it this way: Remember candy crush? Remember that people used to pay $2 or something to refresh their energy, or to buy powerups to defeat the hard stages? Then came the modded apks that gave you unlimited bonus items. No one spent anymore.Why? Because you get an even BETTER experience by modding and hacking the game.
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    meladekk wrote: »
    The reason I'm mad is because hackers will get to enjoy the game in their hacked server as much as legit players do. Bored by farming 20 purple epic gear? No problem! Mod the game and get 100 purple gear instantly! Bored with energy refill? Infinite energy refills! Play to your hearts content and see all that the game has to offer at your own pace!

    SWGOH is 95% a single player game. I know that I for one wouldn't be spending a single penny on a game when I can just go and mod my game instead and get whoever I want for free with less effort.

    Then cheat, geez. You have an option. Have fun doing that.

    My question would be though, why would you farm 20 purple epic gear mats, when your lvl 1 jawa can hit all characters for 30k each and insta whipe your opponent? Their is no reason to farm, no reason to get better. Your lvl 1 guy can kill everyone.
  • Otar
    252 posts Member
    Options
    meladekk wrote: »
    The reason I'm mad is because hackers will get to enjoy the game in their hacked server as much as legit players do. Bored by farming 20 purple epic gear? No problem! Mod the game and get 100 purple gear instantly! Bored with energy refill? Infinite energy refills! Play to your hearts content and see all that the game has to offer at your own pace!

    SWGOH is 95% a single player game. I know that I for one wouldn't be spending a single penny on a game when I can just go and mod my game instead and get whoever I want for free with less effort.

    Think about it this way: Remember candy crush? Remember that people used to pay $2 or something to refresh their energy, or to buy powerups to defeat the hard stages? Then came the modded apks that gave you unlimited bonus items. No one spent anymore.Why? Because you get an even BETTER experience by modding and hacking the game.

    Out of curiosity, do you know that anyone can just create a new acc at anytime right? So if you believe its so fun to be a cheater, just create one, and cheat as much as you want!!! Problem solved for you?
  • Options
    meladekk wrote: »
    The reason I'm mad is because hackers will get to enjoy the game in their hacked server as much as legit players do. Bored by farming 20 purple epic gear? No problem! Mod the game and get 100 purple gear instantly! Bored with energy refill? Infinite energy refills! Play to your hearts content and see all that the game has to offer at your own pace!

    SWGOH is 95% a single player game. I know that I for one wouldn't be spending a single penny on a game when I can just go and mod my game instead and get whoever I want for free with less effort.

    Think about it this way: Remember candy crush? Remember that people used to pay $2 or something to refresh their energy, or to buy powerups to defeat the hard stages? Then came the modded apks that gave you unlimited bonus items. No one spent anymore.Why? Because you get an even BETTER experience by modding and hacking the game.

    Good luck with that.
  • Options
    Otar wrote: »
    meladekk wrote: »
    The reason I'm mad is because hackers will get to enjoy the game in their hacked server as much as legit players do. Bored by farming 20 purple epic gear? No problem! Mod the game and get 100 purple gear instantly! Bored with energy refill? Infinite energy refills! Play to your hearts content and see all that the game has to offer at your own pace!

    SWGOH is 95% a single player game. I know that I for one wouldn't be spending a single penny on a game when I can just go and mod my game instead and get whoever I want for free with less effort.

    Think about it this way: Remember candy crush? Remember that people used to pay $2 or something to refresh their energy, or to buy powerups to defeat the hard stages? Then came the modded apks that gave you unlimited bonus items. No one spent anymore.Why? Because you get an even BETTER experience by modding and hacking the game.

    Out of curiosity, do you know that anyone can just create a new acc at anytime right? So if you believe its so fun to be a cheater, just create one, and cheat as much as you want!!! Problem solved for you?

    Yes, problem solved for me, and so will the droves of F2P players or other new players looking to enter the game and realizing that hacks are readily available. One needs to think about the long term effects of allowing hackers to remain in game and not just "yay hackers are off my board now I can get #1 in peace".
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    Hackers have remained in Marvel Puzzle Quest since the beginning of time, just sandboxed, and it hasn't harmed the game at all. Still makes plenty of money and people still enjoy the game.


  • Options
    EA_Jesse wrote: »
    Greetings Heroes,
    1. A permanent ban will be issued.
    2. A temporary ban will be issued.
    3. They will be moved to a different leaderboard that contains only cheaters or exploiters.
    [/list]


    the nr3 i like. let all the cheaters fight each other and see how they "whine" that they cant win. haha

  • KAULI
    517 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Noci wrote: »
    So, 2 of the 3 options involve basically letting the cheaters continue to play the game? What jokes these developers are. I guess having more players and getting more sales trumps all.

    +1
    Cheaters go heII (with Luciferdaddy) ;)
  • Options
    The Meme's that are going to be required with the new setup

    The less paranoid player:
    2co5rfl.jpg

    The wrongly excused player:aujr0o.jpg

    The high rank arena defenders:
    2q3x5k9.jpg

    Hackers / cheaters that need a good excuse:
    f35kdl.jpg


    :D
  • Options
    meladekk wrote: »
    Otar wrote: »
    meladekk wrote: »
    The reason I'm mad is because hackers will get to enjoy the game in their hacked server as much as legit players do. Bored by farming 20 purple epic gear? No problem! Mod the game and get 100 purple gear instantly! Bored with energy refill? Infinite energy refills! Play to your hearts content and see all that the game has to offer at your own pace!

    SWGOH is 95% a single player game. I know that I for one wouldn't be spending a single penny on a game when I can just go and mod my game instead and get whoever I want for free with less effort.

    Think about it this way: Remember candy crush? Remember that people used to pay $2 or something to refresh their energy, or to buy powerups to defeat the hard stages? Then came the modded apks that gave you unlimited bonus items. No one spent anymore.Why? Because you get an even BETTER experience by modding and hacking the game.

    Out of curiosity, do you know that anyone can just create a new acc at anytime right? So if you believe its so fun to be a cheater, just create one, and cheat as much as you want!!! Problem solved for you?

    Yes, problem solved for me, and so will the droves of F2P players or other new players looking to enter the game and realizing that hacks are readily available. One needs to think about the long term effects of allowing hackers to remain in game and not just "yay hackers are off my board now I can get #1 in peace".

    The long term solution is to make the game harder to hack.
  • Noci
    81 posts Member
    Options
    Barrok wrote: »
    Noci wrote: »
    meladekk wrote: »
    The thing is, in SWGOH, you are pretty much playing by yourself. There is no social function at all, other than looking at random names going up and down a leaderboard. You can have the same sense of a 'social feature' on a hacked leaderboard as much as a real one.

    Exactly. This game has 0 social aspects to it. Making someone play by themselves, or on a cheaters-only server, is hardly a real punishment. This is all driven by dollars and cents, and it's sad to see. Though, I have to say, not unexpected.

    Ok, let me get this straight.

    Us legit players are mad to see us get dropped in PVP by a cheater. We report said cheater. Cheater gets moved to a different server with only cheaters and can't affect legit players anymore.

    Problem is solved right? Legit players were affected and action was taken. Why do you care so much about what happens to the person after that? Isn't your game now full of legit players and everyone should be happy?

    It's one thing to have a cheater get a bunch of sweet rewards, and then stop cheating and wreck all the legit players... it's another to have cheaters beat down cheaters without affecting legit players. Please be happy they even caught the cheater in the first place!

    It's pretty simple, really. If I pay $10 for something, and someone else cheats and pays $0 for the same thing, then I would want the developers to deprive the cheater of that free benefit. This is just basic business. I can't believe people are actually questioning why someone would be upset about this "solution". People are going to be more reluctant to invest time and money into the game when cheating/exploiting for free really doesn't penalize you at all. I'm not sure any other game has approached it like this.

    Of course, if the percentage of enforcement is permanent ban 80% of the time, 10% temp ban and 10% move, then the problem would be less. But I very much doubt that'll be the case.
  • Keaven
    1099 posts Member
    Options
    Can't wait to hear the outrage on forums from people wrongly accused of cheating.
    Profile: Keaven
    Guild: Fear The Boot
  • EA_Jesse
    663 posts SWGOH Dev Team
    Options
    Ok everyone, there seems to be a lot of focus on the option for cheaters to be moved to their own leaderboard. Are you forgetting the other 2 options?
    • A permanent ban will be issued.
    • A temporary ban will be issued.

    There are a lot of you reacting to our original post as if we're only putting cheaters onto a different leaderboard, but that's simply not the case. Players who are found to be using any hack will be permanently banned. And who says that those cheaters that do get moved to the new leaderboard will have all of the same rewards? ;)
    Community Manager for Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes | Follow me on Twitter - Darokaz
  • Options
    Can you disable features on the new server, to the point that hackers will only see a blank cantina?
    Ally code: 323-282-152. Member of TNR. The New Rebellion
  • Options
    To everyone in this thread that has no problem with them moving cheaters off into their own server...it's called principle. Basically the developers are saying they are far more interested in saving whatever money they have made from current / past cheaters and are avoiding refunds. If you don't see that as a HUGE problem with the developer of the game, then you have a really long way to go in life. It's also called integrity. They don't even respect their own game. ANY developer SHOULD be disgusted when their game gets hacked, abused, and manipulated at the cost of their "valued" customers or the image of their product.

    I already dislike this games model for P2P, it's one of the worst I've seen yet...but this reaction from the developer was icing on the cake on how they view F2P and medium (50-100 a month) P2P. It's really really sad to see gaming come to this. Price gouging on a whole new level, and "accepting" cheating as a way of life in your game. Whatever happened to standing up for your product no matter if it costs you your own money or bottom line. From this point on there will always be questions if your game is "legit" if whales are really whales, or if people earned what they have. Not to mention that since I choose a moral path on life and don't believe on cheating to get ahead I need to spend THOUSANDS to fully experience and enjoy your game, but someone else with lesser values will be able to with your blessings almost.

    (I LOVED spending ~50 bucks on gems to try and level up my FOTP from 4*to 5*...and didn't even get ONE single promote star out of it over the 4 days I used the crystals, instead of buying a FULL console game. I finally realized after not getting ONE star out of SEVEN, on ONE character out of 60 that this few hundred dollar investment so far was a waste...but thats another story).
  • Options
    I've reported twice a couple of possible cheaters via the web site, with no real answer. We just send you the original ticket number? Cause now they have more power making them look "less cheaters"
  • EA_Jesse
    663 posts SWGOH Dev Team
    Options
    @DarthNico send a direct message to @CG_LucifersDaddy for all cheating reports.
    Community Manager for Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes | Follow me on Twitter - Darokaz
  • Options
    Option 3 is brilliant:)

    Who cares if EA keeps the money the earned from the cheaters. It goes back into making the game better for legit players.

    Plus, create a place the devs can watch and close holes in their game one by one with "free" hackers working for em, showing where the code is exploitable.

    Just please make the "CheaterBoard" public. Nothing like a good 'ol public shaming:)
  • Options
    HanSlowMo wrote: »
    To everyone in this thread that has no problem with them moving cheaters off into their own server...it's called principle. Basically the developers are saying they are far more interested in saving whatever money they have made from current / past cheaters and are avoiding refunds. If you don't see that as a HUGE problem with the developer of the game, then you have a really long way to go in life. It's also called integrity. They don't even respect their own game. ANY developer SHOULD be disgusted when their game gets hacked, abused, and manipulated at the cost of their "valued" customers or the image of their product.

    I already dislike this games model for P2P, it's one of the worst I've seen yet...but this reaction from the developer was icing on the cake on how they view F2P and medium (50-100 a month) P2P. It's really really sad to see gaming come to this. Price gouging on a whole new level, and "accepting" cheating as a way of life in your game. Whatever happened to standing up for your product no matter if it costs you your own money or bottom line. From this point on there will always be questions if your game is "legit" if whales are really whales, or if people earned what they have. Not to mention that since I choose a moral path on life and don't believe on cheating to get ahead I need to spend THOUSANDS to fully experience and enjoy your game, but someone else with lesser values will be able to with your blessings almost.

    (I LOVED spending ~50 bucks on gems to try and level up my FOTP from 4*to 5*...and didn't even get ONE single promote star out of it over the 4 days I used the crystals, instead of buying a FULL console game. I finally realized after not getting ONE star out of SEVEN, on ONE character out of 60 that this few hundred dollar investment so far was a waste...but thats another story).

    Why should I care if people that spent money and also hack are on a different server? You think they should just give them back their money and let them go back to cheating? Put those cheating in gaming purgatory and keep them from refunding their money sounds great to me.
This discussion has been closed.