The Lando problem

Prev13
I have a big problem with this game, and it is best represented by our buddy Lando

I was lucky enough to get Lando from an 8x chromium pack
This made me happy since Lando is cool and he's actually pretty good
But sadly, as I have no plans to spend hundreds of dollars on a mobile game I'll never see him beyond four stars

The problem here is that unless you spend insane amounts of money on the game, you might as well stay free to play
Other characters have this same problem
I'm willing to spend some money on this game, maybe 10$ here and 10$ there, but right now there's no point
Only the "whales" who spend a thousand dollars get to play around with team compositions and promote most of the characters to seven stars

A couple of fixes could be:
1. Add more diversity to both F2P players and low spenders by giving us more ways to get character shards, and add more characters to shipments
2. Do rotating character bundles in the store. Like 3 different packs that change once or twice a week

Everyone is tired of seeing the same Luminaras and Sidious in 8 out of 10 matches
Please make the game more fun and increase its longevity by providing more character diversity, I'm sure that will increase profits in the long run
Thanks

Replies

• Options
    No. They're premium characters and if you want them you must invest. Everybody knows this and needs to accept it. Please don't change it, CG.
  • Options
    There are plenty of heroes nobody use, not because they are bad. But only because everybody reads about lumi and sid on the forum. The game is only two months old, new synergies and new "op" heroes will be discovered
  • Options
    Absolutely not, i wouldn't have invested in 7* premium characters if they were available to f2p.
    There's plenty of viable f2p characters you can use, don't be greedy.
  • Options
    They'll add more to the roster down the line...more than half of which will be easily farmed if the current trend continues.
  • Options
    Yeah, the way it is set up now, there isn't much point going for those characters unless you are willing to to be a p2w person and drop a lot cash to try and get a bunch of shards to get them above 4 stars. People should have that in mind before they decide to get a card with the hopes of unlocking a data card only character.

I do think that there doesn't need to be a change in the characters offered since you can get many good characters by grinding or via the mode shipments. If the crazy p2w whales wish to drop all that cash to level up some specific character then all the power to them. I'll sit back and laugh.
  • ThalosKirano
    728 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My current arena team;

Boba
    Poggle
    Sid
    Geo Soldier
    Luke

All are farmable f2p heroes and I always finish top 5 in arena and only drop down to about 15 after reward time. We don't need any changes to the current roster availability, you just need to decide who to prioritise.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    There should be a means of leveling them outside of chromium once unlocked via chromium; even if it's only through shipments with crystals or a single hard node that only become accessible once the toon is unlocked via chromium.

I'm p2w, but I'm no whale. The current model discourages non-whale p2w players from purchasing chromium. As it is I have a significant advantage over f2p in both the depth of my bench and the speed of my advancement.

The ceiling should be the same for everyone. Even if that ceiling is glass due to the constantly expanding/evolving nature of this game. F2p will never be able to keep up with p2w as is. And that's fine.

The gaming industry has shown that whales will still shell out thousands of dollars for vanity/cosmetic items. They'll also throw money at games to be at the top, cutting edge, of the current meta and new content. With regular releases of new toons, level caps, content, etc there is no need to gate toons to make money.

Please make this happen @CG_JohnSalera @CG_AaronNemoyten @EA_Jesse

I WANT to buy chromium. But the current model discourages it.
    Post edited by Telaan on
  • Options
    Telaan wrote: »
    There should be a means of leveling them outside of chromium once unlocked via chromium; even if it's only through shipments with crystals or a single hard node that only become accessible once the toon is unlocked via chromium.

I'm p2w, but I'm no whale. The current model discourages non-whale p2w players from purchasing chromium. As it is I have a significant advantage over f2p in both the depth of my bench and the speed of my advancement.

The ceiling should be the same for everyone. Even if that ceiling is glass due to the constantly expanding/evolving nature of this game. F2p will never be able to keep up with p2w as is. And that's fine.

The gaming industry has shown that whales will still shell out thousands of dollars for vanity/cosmetic items. They'll also throw money at games to be at the top, cutting edge, of the current meta and new content. With regular releases of new toons, level caps, content, etc there is no need to gate toons to make money.

I agree here.
  • Options
    The devs will absolutely free up more and more heroes in the later updates just like dooku and bariss. Gotta be patient.
  • Options
    AFAIK there have been no promises from EA related to 'Chromium Exclusive' characters remaining that way forever. It is certainly possible that those characters will eventually be farmable particularly when new characters that are chromium exclusive get introduced.

Opening gated content eventually is an effective way to add new content for both spenders and non-spenders without actually adding that much new content. Very similar to multi-platform exclusive content that eventually opens up to all platforms.

And you can certainly use Lando/Leia/Qui Gon etc. Just not really usable in arena.
  • Options
    Telaan wrote: »

Please make this happen @CG_JohnSalera @CG_AaronNemoyten @EA_Jesse

I WANT to buy chromium. But the current model discourages it.

I agree with this

It's fine that some characters need money to unlock
    However, it's insane that it literally requires hundreds of dollars just to add stars to make characters you've already purchased viable

Giving us more options to add stars to already unlocked chars would certainly increase the longevity of this game
    Without it I don't see myself playing and staying interested for much longer
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    One game I played similar to this keeps the pay to use characters exclusively in packs for a few months and when they release a new wave they slowly integrate them into the shops so the f2p people can farm them in the future
  • Options
    I agree. It kind of stinks that you have a Darth Maul at 60/65 and have literally no way to upgrade him, ever unless you get really lucky.
  • Options
    I spent a good amount of money on this mobile game playing the lottery. Worst decision I made, not because I am strapped for cash but I will still have to throw $100's of dollars more just to finish up my LEIA and QGJ, to make them viable. But hey I got a a 5 star ewok scout and royal guard. I thought hey a couple hundred on a mobile game will bring me up to par since I started late. Oh boy was I wrong.

I wish I could just buy what I wanted and not have to play the lottery.
  • Options
    Do chromium exclusive character shards even show up in regular shipments? I have yet to see any personally. Im lucky if I even see a hard to farm character such as Anakin or FOTP available. It seems im always offered an ewok scout or a GW / Arena Shipment shard to purchase. Im within 10 shards from the next star level on like Leia / Lando / Maul and itd be nice to at least pay the 150 crytals to get those shards.
    Ive spent some on this game early on but at least on my server, im able to stay within the top 10 at reward time just using my arena reward shards and the characters I have. I see little incentive to spend more atm other than maybe on my bae ray
  • Options
    I feel that every character should be available on at least one Hard mode node. At 3 attempts per day (+crystal) you're not going to get to 7* anytime soon, but it'll happen eventually, and I think it would boost Chromium sales because currently it's pointless to unlock toons you can't promote.
  • Options
    The problem is even hundreds of dollars isn't enough.

If I wanted to get Lando and be able to use him competitively, ie get him to 7*, I could spend $2,000 and still get nowhere near.

Surely $100 should be more than enough for you to buy a full character. Right now if you are lucky $100 would get you an empty shell, and it would take hundreds, more likely thousands more to fill it out.

Even very big spenders don't have a chance, you'd have to be an absolute mega spender.
  • Options
    Wow you got a 4* Lando from a pack. Sorry bro, hope you get those 4 Ewok Scout shards next time.
  • Options
    Maybe after they are activated in your roster they can become farmable somehow? That seems fair that you invest to activate, but then can put game resources into promoting character.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    DarthBooey wrote: »
    Maybe after they are activated in your roster they can become farmable somehow? That seems fair that you invest to activate, but then can put game resources into promoting character.

Quick and easy solution: Make chromium characters permanently available from shipments once unlocked. This might even encourage people to buy crystals (hear this, EA?), since they would know what they spend them on. I, for one, would like to star up my FOTP, poor guy is sitting at 1* and is far too squishy to be useful. So, with this option available, a part of my "beer money" might instead become "mobile gaming money"...
  • Options
    No. They're premium characters and if you want them you must invest. Everybody knows this and needs to accept it. Please don't change it, CG.

You are part of the problem here
  • Options
    As new characters/content enters the game, the older will become easier to get. This is the story of every freemium/p2w game in history :) We are seeing this already with Barriss and Dooku.
  • Options
    So if you feel the chromium packs are a bad deal, then invest your money in energy and cantina etc, this will give you a lead on others, by leveling quicker, and obtaining more shards/equipment in the process, it will also give you many more chances at the Bronzium packs.

Don't laugh, i have got 4 4* chars from them since i started on Dec 8th, and i am only a very minor spender about 10$ a week on crystals for refreshes.

if you have a rare guy at 4* from Chromium packs, or Bronzium packs, then when the day comes that he is obtainable as a drop you are at a considerable advantage to those with no shards at all.
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Isn't it so that in every mobile game (that I know of at least), all content is for everyone? The speed in how to get things is different.
    Taking the old Clash of Clans as example here. You can pay a lot to max out your town but F2P and avg spenders can also max out their village. The big ones just finish it faster and which each update (or new buildings) they get to keep their advantage because they were maxed out.

Imo that's a fair system. That would also mean (maybe at a slow rate), that eventually everyone should be able to get QGJ, Leia and all the other "premium" characters when more content gets out. There are still 3 cantina levels, 2 dark side levels and 1 light side level to unlock. Why wouldn't the last ones contain more premium characters (you know the energy is at least around 14 per try or something ridiculous :p).
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    As I said above, I don't understand the logic behind the marketing of chromium packs. There is literally zero reason to purchase them unless you have deep whale pockets. It is a waste of money in every sense of the word. I'm not sure who made the ultimate decision to market chromium this way, but I hope they've been paying attention to the fact that everyone is saying "stay away".
  • Options
    That's the worst for F2P: Unlocking a character that you can't farm or level up without paying

ackbar.jpg
  • KAULI
    517 posts Member
    Options
    Thats a serious problem!
    If you are a low spender and you get a 4* non farmable character, you got nothing...
    Then why should a low spender buy any chromium?
  • Tony167
    231 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I retract my statement ,
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    KAULI wrote: »
    Thats a serious problem!
    If you are a low spender and you get a 4* non farmable character, you got nothing...
    Then why should a low spender buy any chromium?

You shouldn't. I've been very outspoken about this on these forums. I really wish we could get @EA_Jesse @CG_JohnSalera @CG_AaronNemoyten to comment on this. But in all the forums I've been a part of, across all the games I've played, I've never seen an official representative comment on the financial aspect of things; especially microtransactions. It's very disheartening and makes me question the long term health/viability of the game.
  • Options
    I prefer to think of it as farming Vader rather than unlocking useless characters. ;)