Shard Shop is stone useless for whales. Why?

1235Next

Replies

• Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    Jsnazz wrote: »
    Telaan wrote: »
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Capture.JPG
    Top 10% of spenders generate 64% of revenues.

The only problem I have with these graphs is it doesn't show what the amounts are that they're using to determine the top 10%.
    I'm guessing its $1500 for each player? If that's not enough, I would ask anyone here that unlocked every character to 7 stars and max out their material upgrade with their credit card.

That graph is not specific to this game. It's industry wide and offers us no insight to what they consider whale territory. As I said above Dolphins in this game are killer whales in others. The ROI is beyond ridiculous.
  • Options
    Capture.JPG

The only problem I have with these graphs is it doesn't show what the amounts are that they're using to determine the top 10%.
    I'm guessing its $1500 for each player? If that's not enough, I would ask anyone here that unlocked every character to 7 stars and max out their material upgrade with their credit card.

That graph is not specific to this game. It's industry wide and offers us no insight to what they consider whale territory. As I said above Dolphins in this game are killer whales in others. The ROI is beyond ridiculous.

I like Telaan he is the voice of reason in my head.
  • Options
    Capture.JPG

i'm at just over 2500 and while I have a lot of 7* or character with sufficient shards, just lacking credits/droids, I don't have them ALL at 7. I suspect that would be more like 8000 but that's just a guess based on what I have in the garage.
  • Options
    yeah i'm pretty sure i'm more of a DOLPHIN, not so much a WHALE but its hard to know for sure.
  • Options
    I only had a total of 5 (five) extra shards. So now I am sitting on a pile of 75 shard shop currency, being unable to do anything with it. Sad, there are good options there, even Vader.
  • QGJM
    318 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hmm had someone seen chromium exclusives in the shard shop? (I have all but one at 7*) and I have only the "bad" Chars in the shard Shop with i have not 7*ed. But all with more than 330 Shards already. So useless the First 2 days. Still 32.000 currency to spend :smiley:
    Post edited by QGJM on
  • Options
    yeah we really shouldn't be seeing shard offers for characters we already have at 7* that should be addressed.
  • Options
    Any news on this in regards to OP & if your theory panned out as thought or is your OP on over reaction?
    @Naecabon ?
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    Any news on this in regards to OP & if your theory panned out as thought or is your OP on over reaction?
    @Naecabon ?

He said in another thread that he's not happy. I'm not sure anyone is. It's pretty lack luster for everyone.
  • Options
    I'm not going to go nuclear, but I am.......far less then impressed.
  • Options
    I don't see the point of the shard shop in it's current state. This is a step luxury tax for these shards. If they add the mission characters that you couldn't otherwise get maybe, just maybe.
  • Options
    Im happy and whales should be too. You can't buy your way to the top with this new system, you need to grind out a character lengthening your gameplay experience. I think its designed to spend more money throughout rather than all upfront.
  • Options
    Michajam wrote: »
    Im happy and whales should be too. You can't buy your way to the top with this new system, you need to grind out a character lengthening your gameplay experience. I think its designed to spend more money throughout rather than all upfront.

you'd have to be bonkers to spend a dime on packs if your trying to get the shard currency. 10x the price for the same crap you could get from a chromium? but 10x simply because you already have a given character/characters? not to mention they offer you stuff you already have at 7*? what a waste of time.

news flash the whales were already able to buy their way to the top as you say in that you buy enough to get toons to 7* so how would it be any different?

• Options
    Shard shop DID make me sad in the pants. I stopped buying chromiums some time ago because I felt this was going to be the outcome.

Developers in this model of game are here to make $$ not title of the year. I think as gamers we are still so easily flummoxed by this idea because this is an industry originally built on fun and imagination. The suits came along for the ride and are here to stay.

Which is not to say that this is a very smart finacial move. I think in this instance they are making too much of a grab and it will lose them $$.
  • Options
    Trilbo wrote: »
    Shard shop DID make me sad in the pants. I stopped buying chromiums some time ago because I felt this was going to be the outcome.

Developers in this model of game are here to make $$ not title of the year. I think as gamers we are still so easily flummoxed by this idea because this is an industry originally built on fun and imagination. The suits came along for the ride and are here to stay.

Which is not to say that this is a very smart finacial move. I think in this instance they are making too much of a grab and it will lose them $$.

How is this making them any money at all? I've gone from spending thousands to refusing to spend another penny due to the flat out ignorance of the design.
  • Options
    Naecabon wrote: »
    Trilbo wrote: »

Which is not to say that this is a very smart financial move. I think in this instance they are making too much of a grab and it will lose them $$.

How is this making them any money at all? I've gone from spending thousands to refusing to spend another penny due to the flat out ignorance of the design.

Pretty much what I said. They got greedy/overly cautious/complacent on this one and it will cost them imo.
  • Options
    my spending is VERRRRRY limited now as I only need so much to refresh the limited times I feel like per day. their loss :(
  • Options
    Just wait till the shard shop exclusive char gets out... I think whales will be happy again
  • Options
    The exclusive character could be Rebel Luke! :)
  • Options
    Naecabon wrote: »
    Disclaimer: I'm a high spender and this entire post is geared towards the opinion of other like minded high spenders.

I've been eagerly awaiting the Shard Shop to "spend" bonus shards that have been sitting in my stash for a while now, as I'd opened a lot of packs in the beginning and I have many extra. I knew this when buying packs (they've said for a while now a shop was coming) and I was content on sitting on them in the meantime because I believed CG would inevitably incorporate something in to the game that I could spend them on.

Well, as I'd feared, the Shard Shop seemingly only sells more character shards.

My issue with this is simply that the shop does not offer any real utility to high spenders. If we have a lot of extra shards, it will be almost impossible to spend them now. I probably have more than I'll ever be able to use. Which means I still cannot warrant purchasing more packs - if there are new characters I'd like to collect some day, and I wanted to open some packs to try to get shards for them, the amount of surplus shards I would be collecting would be too high of a ratio to warrant making that purchase.

Without actually giving us ANYTHING else to spend our Shard Shop currency on, we are now locked in to only being able to stare at more shards for characters we already own.

Why is this shop only Character Shards? Why couldn't there be ANYTHING else for us to spend it on? Energy recharges? Credits? Gear? Ability Ups? AAAAAANYTHING else to use this on would give it some utility whatsoever.

As it is, this shop is basically useless for your high spenders. While it's GREAT for F2P and I'm really excited for them, it's a real disappointment that this feature only appeals to one demographic, and does not contain something everyone can be excited for, regardless of your spending bracket.

It's almost useless for Free players as well.

Most free players wouldn't even have extra (or many) shards to transfer to the shard credit unit.

The reason for this is being a free player as soon as I have the shards for the 7th for a particular toon I switch shard collecting focus.

I think this would work better if
    Ability Matt MK3 / MK2
    High level gear pieces
    Credits
    Training Druids

Were added as options

As well as a shard trade system where free players could trade with spenders to get tougher shards
  • Options
    I second the 'add more variety' to the shard shop.

In particular:

1) Ability to trade in OTHER GAME CURRENCIES (except plain credits) for shard shop currency. Includes:
    Cantina currency
    Arena currency
    GW currency
    Crystals!

2) Ability to trade in Ability mats for Shard Shop currency. We have an absolute overflow of MKI Ability mats, and over time MKII build up too.

3) Ability to use this currency for other useful stuff:
    MKI, II and III ability mats
    Training Droids

4) Add more characters to the offered roster!
  • Options
    and shard shop should just let us pick what we want. this once per 24 hours small offering of **** stuff is already old. either I've already got it maxed or its so totally easy to farm why would I pay outrageous currency price for it? seriously just let us trade in our darned currency. what a joke.
  • Options
    Kosar wrote: »
    Hey, Papa John? It's me Whale.

How you doing buddy?

Good good. I just finished the pizza you sent over earlier. Fantastic as always.

Great to hear, Whale.

Love you guys. That's why I spent $10,000 on your pizza last month and will probably spend $10,000 more next month.

We Love your business, Whale.

But here's the problem. I'm still hungry. Can you send over a free pizza right now?

You know, you buy so much, we always give you a 30% discount already.

Yeah but I spend so much, I feel like I deserve a free one right now.

Technically you've gotten $3,000 in free pizza by spending $10,000, Whale.

Yeah but what have you done for me lately, Papa John?

Well that last order, we gave you 5 pizzas for the price of 3...

That hardly counts as a free gift, Pops.

I'm mean, well, technically--

Technically smechnically. Either you value my business with a free pizza right now or you can kiss me goodbye.

Whale, calm down, man. You are receiving every pizza you pay for plus some every time. You have tried every single possible combination of our millions of possibilities.

And now I wanna try something new. For free. How do you not get this. Send over 5 free pizzas now or else, John.

5..? A second so it was 1.

Well times have changed, Papa. Keep stalling and I'll make it 10.

No one should eat this much pizza, Whale.

Don't tell me how to eat! Just send the free pizza.

I'd be happy to send you 3 free, Whale, if you buy 5--

Buy more? MOAR?!?! Do I look like a clown?

No, you look like a whale.

Exactly. Now give me what I deserve, John.

I am not entirely sure you get the core concept of business.

What's not to get? I pay for some stuff, you give me *everything* else free. This is 'Murica!

Well Whale, "Murica" also has CiCi's all you can eat buffet for $4.99.

Give me that then.

We aren't CiCi's, Whale.

Well you better get your act together and rabble rabble rabble... *click* Wait... Hello?....Hello? Papa John did you hang up on me?.... Grrrrr rabble rabble rabble.....

This script brought to you by Nationwide, proud sponsor of Peyton Mannings everywhere. Papa John's is on your side.

So.. He's called Whale because he's over 600 lbs after spending $10k a month on pizza?
  • Options
    I second the 'add more variety' to the shard shop.

In particular:

1) Ability to trade in OTHER GAME CURRENCIES (except plain credits) for shard shop currency. Includes:
    Cantina currency
    Arena currency
    GW currency
    Crystals!

2) Ability to trade in Ability mats for Shard Shop currency. We have an absolute overflow of MKI Ability mats, and over time MKII build up too.

3) Ability to use this currency for other useful stuff:
    MKI, II and III ability mats
    Training Droids

4) Add more characters to the offered roster!

This makes sense...

After seeing the shard shop & its contents, as a F2P I was actually very let down... So I can imagine what it's like for you top tier players. What was mentioned by Brazilian_Joe makes the most sense... Why not cater to the whales & let us f2p's have an incentive to get more un-needed shards?

I feel EA is going to actually start loosing player base & therefor money if the whales aren't catered to... Especially when it seems to be a half @r$ed attempt to help them. I feel they should've had like 3 new character releases with this patch, 1 for the events table & 2 exclusive shard shop exchange Heros. Change the exchange from the current massive failed attempt to something a bit more viable.

Sadly EA, you need to pickup the slack or this will be a short lived venture. & when placing short lived in the same sentence as Star Wars... Is kinda like saying ice cream isn't a good idea in summer. It simply doesn't fit. This is a enterprise that has unlimited wealth possibilities, something most won't take to lightly!

Regards