Shard Shop is useless as intended.

Replies

• Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    2) P2P "dolphins" - maybe a little, as they likely have several 7* characters and possibly some extra shards in each. But it would seem they too would run into similar problems to the whales - many of the characters in the shard shop they already have or are simply lousy toons (especially when the options are only 6 toons and 2 shards per day). But maybe for a small handful it might help them "finish up" a few hard-to-get shards - but good Lord, 10:1?
    Most dolphins have few excess shards. They have not bought enough chromiums to 7* things, and so all they would have as extras would be oddballs from bronzium pulls or GW. Personally, I have a grand total of 4.
    This shop holds little appeal to this dolphin anyway. I'm currently sitting on 16,000 arena tokens and 20,000 GW tokens, and that's after a week spent farming a character from each. The reason is not so much because I expect something great to be added there, but because little in either place interests me.
    But to farm excess Sid/Lumi shards to trade in, there would have to be something worth spending 10x as many shards on. That doesn't seem likely. Even if I don't see a need now for Eeth Koth or CUP or ST Han or whatever, I'd rather get those guys in anticipation of possible use than throw away 90% of my resources.
    For perspective, 20k GW tokens is enough to 6* a character. Traded in, it's barely enough to unlock a 2*.
    To get a full 7* from the shard shop would require 264,000 GW tokens. That means doing GW perfectly for 7 straight months, while also not getting anything else from those shipments.

Yes the rate has to change. No one will farm for a year to get one toon lol.
    Nonemo wrote: »
    Honest question for the whales and possibly the dolphins. Did you expect to just roll into the shard shop and just buy full toons immediately? What rate did you expect a profit based game to give you?

I expected a ratio of 5:1, because that seemed reasonable to me. After all, the majority of the shards I turned into shard currency I had bought through Chromium packs.

But as I spent more money on the game, it started punishing me by randomly making some shards worth one tenth of regular shards. And the more packs I bought, the more this would happen.

This feels like a strange and not entirely thought through MO. Discouraging people from buying more by randomly punishing them for already having maxed out a toon? Who does that?

So that's why I did expect that the shard shop would have at least decent exchange rates. Also that it wouldn't try to sell me back my own stuff.

I suck at math but at +50% shard value, that would still have you farming a toon for what 3 months or so? Even that rate doesn't really seem useful or fair to me. In an app based game, months might as well be years. You never know when they will just scrap the game (doubt that's an issue here but still).

I appreciate your response.
  • Options
    I will say that the once daily refresh is horrible! I got stuck with all farmable toons that are already 7 star in my collection...

Be that as it may, I am still encouraged by the possibility of better things to come, which will hopefully be a refresh!
  • Options
    I am "light" p2p. Bought 8x chromium once and run from it fast, because the drop was awful. Have been buying only energy since. So I have only f2p toons... 4 of them 7*. Of those four I see two in the shard shop. I am no whale, I'm too small to be even a dolphin, but what I surely am is unhappy with the offering. I mean... 4 toons of 70+ maxed out, and 2 of them they are trying to sell back to me for tenfold the price? I think not.

What's more I had put aside some money. I thought that with shard shop coming live chromiums may start making sense. I want more toons, and with place to get rid of extra shards I was happy to start buying more. Well, guess what? I think not. Not for 1:10 rate to buy shards for toons I either already own or don't need, like Teebo.

So.. Big spenders unhappy. Small spenders unhappy (I am hardly special so there must be more people like me out there). Whom it is supposed to be for?
  • QGJM
    318 posts Member
    Options
    Actually i am not sure if whales are unhappy. At least the chromium investments they made keep their value and no 1:1 Lumi shard vs Ben was established. So that's good.

Second. When the shard exclusive char comes out whales will be thrilled. It will be only obtainable for them so they will be happy
  • Options
    QGJM wrote: »
    Actually i am not sure if whales are unhappy. At least the chromium investments they made keep their value and no 1:1 Lumi shard vs Ben was established. So that's good.

Second. When the shard exclusive char comes out whales will be thrilled. It will be only obtainable for them so they will be happy

So now "No damage was done to the game" is grounds for a successful change. lol

The chromium investments did NOT keep their value. In the current system they lost 90% of their value (unless theyt simply hold, waiting for something better later).

Your second point is a total and complete guess based on something that may or may not happen. We have no idea who the shard exclusive character will be and how long it will take to be released.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • obiwan1011
    396 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    50 crystals per shard at Shipments
    15 excess shards per shard at Shard Shop (SSS)

50 x 15 =750 crystals per SSS

Wow. Really, CG???

As for this Shard Shop-exclusive hero,

330 shards to get an hero to 7 star
    330 x 750 = 247,500 crystals is the value of this exclusive hero

This hero better be seriously OP given his or her astronomical value; always goes first, +500% offense up, one shot kill the entire squad, 100k health... something like that.

Yeah, it could be argued excess shards have zero value, but I would be super-ticked off if I were a whale.
  • Options
    Wait for the new character.
  • Options
    The game has been out since the end of November. Of course a lot of people haven't accumulated a ton of shards. This shop will be nice in the long run of the game.
  • Boomer
    29 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I feel again like I'm missing something. You only gain excess shards over 7 star if you go after them, -UNLESS: you purchase packs. Many do not buy packs, except starting out, so this shop becomes only relevant for those who purchase packs regularly, maybe 40-50% of the player-base. That said, I'm not sure why most of us were under the impression that all excess shards (undesired) at any star-level would be able to be sold, I, like many others must have missed the pre-planning discussion on the shop as I never understood it to be only 7-star surplus shards, if I had I would have been screaming at the time about it. This really makes it irrelevant as far as who/ if/ when or what the exclusive character shards are, the majority of the player base will not buy excess shards on a lottery-basis in the packs just to hope to gain enough extra shards to buy them, the game is expensive enough as it is.
    Not the greatest business decision IMO.

The flip-side of that is that if ALL undesireable shards were able to be traded, then many more players would be buying credits and droids to level new character. If 15% get each new character, then again it is a moot point and potential profits seem to be lost.
    IGN: jq
  • QGJM
    318 posts Member
    Options
    @Nikoms565
    Yes, I was expecting something worse. actually I like it. No backdroor to get Ben and chrome exclusives for free and a start to use your (in the last weeks useless) shards for something else.

With the right shard exclusive char and maybe some gears or purple ability mats whales can be VERY happy and even spending more on chromiums
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    It does have a use, but only for players in a very specific band: those who bought enough chromiums to accumulate a bunch of excess shards but not enough to max out a lot of characters. These are the "79/80 Darth Maul" shard folks... assuming chromium characters appear in the rotation. If they don't, then even these folks won't have much use for it.
    Now they've said they will be adjusting it, and I also read somewhere that the exchange rate will be more favorable on the special character. So we probably should wait til the end of the month and then reassess.

I would think the exchange rate should be better on farmable characters than a non farmable exclusive. Seems a little backwards IMO. Unless they are trying to make the exclusive possible for F2P and dolphins.
  • Options

The chromium investments did NOT keep their value. In the current system they lost 90% of their value (unless theyt simply hold, waiting for something better later).

Your second point is a total and complete guess based on something that may or may not happen. We have no idea who the shard exclusive character will be and how long it will take to be released.

Not sure if I get you about the chromiums. How did they lose 90% value? You are buying a pack for toons you keep. That's the value. Not the extra shards you buy packs trying to farm in hopes they are useful later.

Some might even say buying packs to stockpile shards on a possibility that they are "valuable" later was a ridiculous thing to do.
  • Options
    I'll pick up some guys from time to time. But yeah shard shop is trash in current state. Atleast Vader on day 1. Now I need only 42 days of Leia show up to star her up at 5. Maybe in 8 months :)
  • Options
    @Nikoms565
    Yes, I was expecting something worse. actually I like it. No backdroor to get Ben and chrome exclusives for free and a start to use your (in the last weeks useless) shards for something else.

With the right shard exclusive char and maybe some gears or purple ability mats whales can be VERY happy and even spending more on chromiums
    No one from CG/EA has ever stated nor even implied that gear or ability mats would be available in the shard shop.

As far as the "back door Ben" point (how that's not censored but stupid is, is just, well, stupid): that doesn't hold water. The people that would actually have enough extra shards at 10:1 are whales....who already have Ben either through chromium packs or have bought him outright. Those that would want him won't have enough shards/day - at least not if they plan to do anything else for the next several months other than squeeze a couple of shards a day (at most - if it were available every day) for a very long time.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    @Nikoms565
    Actually when i First opener the shard Shop they announced: here you can buy stuff(!) for your Shards. It was in German. So they didnt say only Shards. I ll be just optimistic they offer more for the whales to make them happy again.
  • Options
    pay2win wrote: »
    Thank you for the input @Qeltar and @Nonemo - and therein lies my point. Whales and Dolphins find it useless...as do F2P players and "light" P2P players ($50< like me).

Serious question for anyone saying they like it:

What do you like about it in its current form?

(Please note: this is NOT what do you like about "the concept" or "what do you like about what it might look like later")

Its better than nothing.
    *sigh* if it serves no practical purpose for any player at any level it IS, in effect, nothing.

It does have a practical purpose. Trade unused shards for shards you can use.
  • Options
    Honest question for the whales and possibly the dolphins. Did you expect to just roll into the shard shop and just buy full toons immediately? What rate did you expect a profit based game to give you?

All I hear is complaints. What was your hope? I get you have a ton of shards. You spent money to have these toons faster. You have got to dominate GW and arena. You have the cool toons. That was the benefit to spending early. Nothing is "owed" to you.

I'm truly not being ugly about this, I'm curious for some well thought out answers.

I had hoped it would have ANYTHING I could use. Two days in a row I got the same shards I have no use for. And even if I could use them they are in too small of a quantity to be of any use.

I get the safeguards they have in place on the shop (no refresh, 10:1 ratio, only 2 shards each), but it should only be one of those things, not all 3, all 3 is what makes it useless.
  • Options

Not sure if I get you about the chromiums. How did they lose 90% value? You are buying a pack for toons you keep. That's the value. Not the extra shards you buy packs trying to farm in hopes they are useful later.

Some might even say buying packs to stockpile shards on a possibility that they are "valuable" later was a ridiculous thing to do.

I agree. Its silly people assumed extra shards would have any value. These guys got burned on a horrible "investment". No one should feel sorry for them.
  • Options
    d3gauss wrote: »

All I hear is complaints. What was your hope? I get you have a ton of shards. You spent money to have these toons faster. You have got to dominate GW and arena. You have the cool toons. That was the benefit to spending early. Nothing is "owed" to you.

I'm truly not being ugly about this, I'm curious for some well thought out answers.

I had hoped it would have ANYTHING I could use. Two days in a row I got the same shards I have no use for. And even if I could use them they are in too small of a quantity to be of any use.

I get the safeguards they have in place on the shop (no refresh, 10:1 ratio, only 2 shards each), but it should only be one of those things, not all 3, all 3 is what makes it useless.

I agree the refresh is terrible and so is the limit. I could go for random but you say you got the same list as before? That's terrible. I wonder if the other update today and all would fix any of it.
  • Options
    I'm a long way from getting anyone to 7* so yeah it is useless
  • Nol_el_en
    96 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Would gladly trade you a toon you might not have for those Leah shards if that were possible!
  • Aluxendr
    358 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Galette Nope, my IGN is Aluxendr. It's actually a fairly unique handle; if you see it on just about any game, it's me.

@Darth_Katsumoto

Since you asked, here's what I would consider a "fair" shop

Variable exchange rates, some thing like
    1 shard = 10 currency for GW, Arena and Cantina Battle shards
    1 shard = 15 currency for Hard Mode and Cantina Shipments shards
    1 shard = 20 currency for Chromium Exclusive shards

Rebuy value at:
    1 shard = 20 currency for GW, Arena and Cantina Battle shards
    1 shard = 30 currency for Hard Mode and Cantina Shipments shards
    1 shard = 50 currency for Chromium Exclusive shards

The shop would have ALL GW, Arena and Cantina Battle characters, all the time
    It would have HM and Cantina Shipments on a rotation, where half were visible every other day
    It would have Chromiums visible once every 3 days, 1/3 a day

Shop would refresh once every 12 hours, no refreshes

Shards would come in both packs of 5 shards, or 1 shard.

Does that sounds super-biased towards whales? Because this was what I was expecting, something that had clear advantages for F2P to obtain Chromium characters and even the field, but would allow whales to get value back out of the shards they have.

As it is, the system screws everyone. No one will ever actually farm a character from this piece of garbage.

Edited cause I said something kinda dickish, and I'm too tired to shots fired.
  • Options

I don't think many whales saw it as an investment; I always saw the fact that the game continued to give shards after I had a 7* as something that should be viewed as a design flaw and corrected later.

What they actually set up was something close to a "game of chance" system, where you could be returned zero value for your money. That's fine for a company whose business model is "grab as much as you can and never try to re-engage the players", but when I look at the names on the bottom of this webpage, I wonder how smart it is for those companies to really **** off a game- playing player base with a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong memory.
  • Saucin
    14 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I think you need to look at the real issue here. For a "Whale" like yourself the value of purchasing Chromium Packs CONTINUALLY goes down over time (the more characters you have at 7*'s the MORE shards you convert at a 10:1 ratio... thereby making your purchase of chromiums gradually decrease over time)... once you unlock every character to 7*'s your value of a Chromium Pack - based on shards received - has DECREASED TEN FOLD. That means when they release a new CHROMIUM ONLY character (Like REX).... and you buy a Chromium pack in an attempt to get them... You'll be spending 10x as much money to get the same amount of value that you once did.
  • Options
    Saucin wrote: »
    I think you need to look at the real issue here. For a "Whale" like yourself the value of purchasing Chromium Packs CONTINUALLY goes down over time (the more characters you have at 7*'s the MORE shards you convert at a 10:1 ratio... thereby making your purchase of chromiums gradually decrease over time)... once you unlock every character to 7*'s your value of a Chromium Pack - based on shards received - has DECREASED TEN FOLD. That means when they release a new CHROMIUM ONLY character (Like REX).... and you buy a Chromium pack in an attempt to get them... You'll be spending 10x as much money to get the same amount of value that you once did.

I mean, It would still be somewhat worth spending the money, if i knew i could then convert the extra trash shards and still work on the character. I would still spend the money for Chromium cards, if i knew that.

But as it stands now, there's no way I'm ever getting another Chromium pack. Because the devs have essentially said the exploit they put in game is, in fact, and exploit intended to screw us all over.
  • Saucin
    14 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Aluxendr wrote: »
    I mean, It would still be somewhat worth spending the money, if i knew i could then convert the extra trash shards and still work on the character. I would still spend the money for Chromium cards, if i knew that.

But as it stands now, there's no way I'm ever getting another Chromium pack. Because the devs have essentially said the exploit they put in game is, in fact, and exploit intended to screw us all over.

I completely agree with your logic. I myself have spent over $1000 on the game - not nearly as much as you, but still quite a bit - and I am VERY disappointed at myself for ever purchasing a Chromium pack. Right from the beginning they should have had some type of feature that PREVENTS you from getting shards for a character you have reached 7*'s with. They didn't... and why??? ====> because then you would be able to spend a SET amount of money to unlock EVERY character in the game.. and they don't want that..... they want you to CONTINUALLY SPEND THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS over time as you "gamble" for more unlocks. It's unethical. I can't wait until a developer steps away from this F2P/P2P model and releases an awesome game that generates revenue through a monthly subscription on a mobile platform... Think about how much value a Netflix user gets for their $10/month.... and compare that to how much value someone like us gets for $1000+ in a game like this.

• Options

I completely agree with your logic. I myself have spent over $1000 on the game - not nearly as much as you, but still quite a bit - and I am VERY disappointed at myself for ever purchasing a Chromium pack. Right from the beginning they should have had some type of feature that PREVENTS you from getting shards for a character you have reached 7*'s with. They didn't... and why??? ====> because then you would be able to spend a SET amount of money to unlock EVERY character in the game.. and they don't want that..... they want you to CONTINUALLY SPEND THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS over time as you "gamble" for more unlocks. It's unethical. I can't wait until a developer steps away from this F2P/P2P model and releases an awesome game that generates revenue through a monthly subscription on a mobile platform... Think about how much value a Netflix user gets for their $10/month.... and compare that to how much value someone like us gets for $1000+ in a game like this.

You're actually pretty close to my amount, lol. I've gotten a lot of characters beyond Ben, Leia, QGJ, etc to 7* by abusing refreshes on a long term basis. I'm probably going to stop doing even that though; I really don't want to put any more money into a game that tries to (and succeeds) screw people like this.
  • Options
    You're actually pretty close to my amount, lol. I've gotten a lot of characters beyond Ben, Leia, QGJ, etc to 7* by abusing refreshes on a long term basis. I'm probably going to stop doing even that though; I really don't want to put any more money into a game that tries to (and succeeds) screw people like this.

Well that depresses me because I've been playing since Mid December and I only have 2, 7* characters..... Sid and Lumi....and I'm starving for credits.... i guess i haven't applied my money as efficiently as you have lol :(

• Options

Well that depresses me because I've been playing since Mid December and I only have 2, 7* characters..... Sid and Lumi....and I'm starving for credits.... i guess i haven't applied my money as efficiently as you have lol :(

What?

Bro, you got screwed. This makes me even angrier.

If you're gonna keep spending money, start buying Cantina Refreshes up at 100-200-400, and focusing on one character at a time. I would suggest Dooku, Mace, or Luke.

Also, if you have Rey unlocked, start spending on at least the 50 crystal refresh on all 3 of her battles every day. Same with FOTP, or any other Hard character you have. I unlocked Rey to just under 5* through chromium and just finished hard farming her by buying refreshes.
  • Saucin
    14 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    How many chromium packs would you say you've purchased? I've spent roughly $500 on them at the start of the game (until i realized how terrible their value was)... I also bought every single character pack available... Now I only spend my money on refreshes. I like you're advice... I may do that with the Ray refreshes.... Cantina will NEVER be worth the 400 refresh... but all other advice is solid. Doing the 100-200 Cantina along with the 50-50-100-100-100 regular refreshes AND a hard mode reset costs me $100-$200 a month right now. (gotta love putting that expense under my "Entertainment Budget")