Character reveal Megathread

Replies

• Options
    I can't wait to play in smurfville.They can release a new gear, called smurfberries.
  • Roken_Fett
    1293 posts Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, Jango AND Thrawn are fan favorite. I would argue that Jango is a tad bigger in the overall Star Wars fandom but whatever.

Only thing that didn't makes sense with us getting Thrawn is all the hints didn't point to him, only this recent shadowy pic. The other hints could definitely be attributed to Jango.

I'm not mad about Thrawn, I like him, but I'm no where near as hyped as I was for it possibly being Jango. I have 20k crystals and 40 zeta materials to sink into Jango. Without question.

Now I'll have to wait and see what Thrawn actually does and consider. But he's not automatic.
    CLONE HELMETS!! Now let's get Sabine her epic helmet.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    And seriously, why the hate? We are all fans of the same universe, we just love different aspects of it.
    Nerds crave orthodoxy and validation. It's starting to die out, but it's been so strong for so long that it'll have a legacy.

A long, long time ago before the internet, being a nerd was a bad thing and we were looked down on for our obsessions. We found our people, but because the internet wasn't really a thing yet we were many small tribes that had strong internal consistency. Because we were looked down on, we turned to our tibe for solace and would come up with tribal canon, preferred characters, etc.

Now that the internet has spread nerd culture to the point where it's now mainstream culture, the nerds have become the jocks of old--so to speak. Now WE'RE the cool kids and with that comes power, and the old axiom holds true about it corrupting. There's a cycle of abuse victims to become abusors, and that's what you're seeing. There used to be an orthodoxy because your tribe was you and four friends and you agreed with one another broadly, but now that there are thousands of fans to interact with, that orthodoxy is challenged and the reaction is hostile (and dumb).
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • RedDedRedumpton
    68 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Tatebomb wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Well, I guess the game isn't canon so a non-canon character isn't that odd.

Thrawn is canon.

Now, yes.

He was Canon during lucas's era as well.

...and then he wasn't. But now he is again. Cool story bro - except you're trying to conveniently leave out the middle. But whatevs. I get it - you're a Thrawn fan and think everyone else should be too. Some of us are not. Sorry if that makes you sad.

That's not what the point is. I don't care if you like Thrawn or not. I don't like r2d2 that much but I accept that he is considered a fan fav. What's getting everyone fired is up is that since YOU don't like Thrawn he can't possibly be considered a fan fav. You're attacking something that means a lot to many older fans of Star wars. Youre gonna get responses lol.

Well a fan favorite is a character that everyone knows and likes. Darth Vader is a fan favorite, why? Because my Grandma knows who he is. Same with Leia, Luke, Han Solo, Chewie, R2D2, C3PO, Obi-Wan, Yoda. A fan favorite is identifiable by everyone, even people who aren't overly familiar with the content.

That's why a lot of people are confused with Thrawn being the "fan fav". He doesn't be definition fit.

Thank you, someone gets it. A fan favorite should be someone who is known by most fans, not a favorite of a group of hardcore fans. I love the character Darth Treya but if she we were to receive the title of fan favorite, I'd have the same problem.

This all seems like it isn't really a fan favorite but more of another excuse to promote the Rebels show. Which is sad.
  • Bobby777
    614 posts Member
    Options
    Bobby777 wrote: »
    Well it looks like the nerds finally tired themselves out. Let's enjoy the silence!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Youre still here posting in a star wars game forum, kinda makes ya a triple nerd don't it?
    Likes star wars. Check
    Plays video games. Check
    Talks about star wars and games online. Check
    Yep qualifies as a nerd ;)

Basically the naysayers and trolls stopped for a second, or so we thought....

Yes I am a nerd but nowhere near as bad as those !diots arguing about thrawn or jango being a fan favorite.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Thrawn is canon.

Now, yes.

...and then he wasn't. But now he is again. Cool story bro - except you're trying to conveniently leave out the middle. But whatevs. I get it - you're a Thrawn fan and think everyone else should be too. Some of us are not. Sorry if that makes you sad.

That's not what the point is. I don't care if you like Thrawn or not. I don't like r2d2 that much but I accept that he is considered a fan fav. What's getting everyone fired is up is that since YOU don't like Thrawn he can't possibly be considered a fan fav. You're attacking something that means a lot to many older fans of Star wars. Youre gonna get responses lol.

I'm not attacking anything. lol. And since I have adult children playing SWGOH as well, I'm probably an "older" SW fan than many here.

R2D2 and Thrawn are not nearly on the same level of "fan favorite". Trying to suggest that they are by citing how many books Thrawn is in, is silliness. The fact that Thrawn fans feel the need to defend their blue-skinned buddy actually proves the point - not disputes it. If Thrawn was a fan favorite on the same level as R2, people would have felt the need to justify his release as well - but they didn't. Do you know why? Because R2 was clearly the very definition of "fan favorite" whether you liked him or not.

That simply isn't the case with Thrawn. And the fact that people have to post links and arguments trying to explain who Thrawn is and validate him as a possible "fan favorite" is the proof that he and R2 are not anywhere near the same level of universality. That's not to say that Thrawn isn't the second "fan favorite" - he probably is. But, IMHO, and the opinion of many others, it's not nearly as strong a "fan favorite" as R2 is.

If this was a Marvel comics Avengers game, that would be like saying "We're getting two fan favorites!! One is Iron Man and the other is....Firestar!" Sure, Firestar was an Avenger (i.e. canon) - but not nearly on the same level as Iron Man...or Wolverine, or Hulk, Captain America, Thor, etc.

I'm not sure why this is so difficult for the Thrawn fanboys to grasp - and why they feel the need to be so defensive about it.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Bobby777
    614 posts Member
    Options

Thrawn is canon.

Now, yes.

I'm not attacking anything. lol. R2D2 and Thrawn are not nearly on the same level of "fan favorite". Trying to suggest that they are by citing how many books Thrawn is in, is silliness. The fact that Thrawn fans feel the need to defend their blue-skinned buddy actually proves the point - not disputes it. If Thrawn was a fan favorite on the same level as R2, people would have felt the need to justify his release as well - but they didn't. Do you know why? Because R2 was clearly the very definition of "fan favorite" whether you liked him or not.

That simply isn't the case with Thrawn. And the fact that people have to post links and arguments trying to explain who Thrawn is and validate him as a possible "fan favorite" is the proof that he and R2 are not anywhere near the same level of universality. That's not to say that Thrawn isn't the second "fan favorite" - he probably is. But, IMHO, and the opinion of many others, it's not nearly as strong a "fan favorite" as R2 is.

If this was a Marvel comics Avengers game, that would be like saying "We're getting two fan favorites!! One is Iron Man and the other is....Firestar!" Sure, Firestar was an Avenger (i.e. canon) - but not nearly on the same level as Iron Man...or Wolverine, or Hulk, Captain America, Thor, etc.

I'm not sure why this is so difficult for the Thrawn fanboys to grasp - and why they feel the need to be so defensive about it.

Another one.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

Thrawn is canon.

Now, yes.

I'm not attacking anything. lol. R2D2 and Thrawn are not nearly on the same level of "fan favorite". Trying to suggest that they are by citing how many books Thrawn is in, is silliness. The fact that Thrawn fans feel the need to defend their blue-skinned buddy actually proves the point - not disputes it. If Thrawn was a fan favorite on the same level as R2, people would have felt the need to justify his release as well - but they didn't. Do you know why? Because R2 was clearly the very definition of "fan favorite" whether you liked him or not.

Another one.

Oh look! A dude sharing his opinion on a SW mobile game website....deriding someone for sharing his opinion on a SW mobile game website. :D

Sanctimonious irony can be so ironic sometimes. And if you have to google "sanctimonious", feel free to check on "hypocrite" while you're at it. ;)
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Options
    So much trolling ... Jimmies are rustled
  • Options
    Holy hell, you're all weirdly off base on one side or the other. Let's stop making over the top comments. Let's just establish non-opinion facts: R2D2 is the greatest character ever. ;)

However, just because R2 is the greatest, it doesn't mean there aren't other great characters.

I would hope no one is arguing that Thrawn is just as popular as R2, because that would be silly.

Thrawn however, is also popular, and a favorite among many fans.

You can have varying degrees of fan favorites, from different parts of the Star Wars universe. I feel like this shouldn't be so hard to grasp, and is kind of the point of a "cantina" game.
  • ddlooping2
    1047 posts Member
    Options
    Dang, I shudder to think about what this "conversation" would be like if the question was : what is art? :D
  • Kozispoon
    3245 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Options
    Facebook_Pages_Lieux_OnlySo_Questions.jpeg.png
    Thank you for your patience 8D Forum Guidelines
  • Muaddib
    563 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    ddlooping2 wrote: »
    Dang, I shudder to think about what this "conversation" would be like if the question was : what is art? :D

I'm just thankful this isn't "America: Presidential Heroes" because that debate... blech. At least here I'm only called an **** for my opinion. :D
  • Tatebomb
    797 posts Member
    Options

Thrawn is canon.

Now, yes.

I'm not attacking anything. lol. And since I have adult children playing SWGOH as well, I'm probably an "older" SW fan than many here.

R2D2 and Thrawn are not nearly on the same level of "fan favorite". Trying to suggest that they are by citing how many books Thrawn is in, is silliness. The fact that Thrawn fans feel the need to defend their blue-skinned buddy actually proves the point - not disputes it. If Thrawn was a fan favorite on the same level as R2, people would have felt the need to justify his release as well - but they didn't. Do you know why? Because R2 was clearly the very definition of "fan favorite" whether you liked him or not.

Because you're comparing Thrawn to Pao or bistan as far as popularly goes. Is Thrawn as popular as Vader or R2? Of course not. But Thrawn is certainly at the same level as a Jango Fett and Revan in that regard.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

Thrawn is canon.

Now, yes.

Because you're comparing Thrawn to Pao or bistan as far as popularly goes. Is Thrawn as popular as Vader or R2? Of course not. But Thrawn is certainly at the same level as a Jango Fett and Revan in that regard.

I am comparing Thrawn to R2 because R2 was "the other" fan favorite. This really isn't that difficult.

• Tatebomb
    797 posts Member
    Options

Thrawn is canon.

Now, yes.

I am comparing Thrawn to R2 because R2 was "the other" fan favorite. This really isn't that difficult.

Seriously who else compares to R2D2 though as far as overall popularity. Anyone else short of Jedi Luke would be a letdown.
  • Options
    This is the best thread.
  • Taramel
    601 posts Member
    Options
    I don't remember the pop up saying this was Junes fan Favorite.... I'm guessing everyone is just assuming it is? mabye they have a surprise instore and the fan fav is a different character that isn't thrawn. mabye we get 2 new toons :smile:
  • Tatebomb
    797 posts Member
    Options
    Taramel wrote: »
    I don't remember the pop up saying this was Junes fan Favorite.... I'm guessing everyone is just assuming it is? mabye they have a surprise instore and the fan fav is a different character that isn't thrawn. mabye we get 2 new toons :smile:

If they stop delaying events we may find out lol.
  • Options
    Taramel wrote: »

If they stop delaying events we may find out lol.

sick burn!
  • Bobby777
    614 posts Member
    Options

Thrawn is canon.

Now, yes.

Another one.

Oh look! A dude sharing his opinion on a SW mobile game website....deriding someone for sharing his opinion on a SW mobile game website. :D

Sanctimonious irony can be so ironic sometimes. And if you have to google "sanctimonious", feel free to check on "hypocrite" while you're at it. ;)

Geez so sensitive
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

Thrawn is canon.

Now, yes.

Another one.

Geez so sensitive

Not sensitive at all. Have the day off and found the irony amusing.

• Bobby777
    614 posts Member
    Options

Thrawn is canon.

Now, yes.

Another one.

Geez so sensitive

Not sensitive at all. Have the day off and found the irony amusing.

:flushed:
  • Kozispoon
    3245 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Options

tenor.gif
    We all know speculation and opinions are serious business, but lets keep it civil, folks!
    Thank you for your patience 8D Forum Guidelines
  • Roken_Fett
    1293 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    tenor.gif
    We all know speculation and opinions are serious business, but lets keep it civil, folks!

Where's Jango, brah?
  • Syrath
    129 posts Member
    Options

Thrawn is canon.

Now, yes.

Agree and I am not sure Thrawn is as popular as Revan. But since no one has any real concrete evidence for how much of a fan favorite these non movie characters are it is hard to back any ones statements.

Again, the only evidence I have seen recently of hard core fans voting, is Hasbro's fan polls done the past 2 years. Year 1 Revan won in a landslide in 2015. In that poll Thrawn wasnt included as one of the 50 choices. It was only after he showed up on Rebels he really popped back up in fan popularity, and now this summer Hasbro making a Thrawn Black Series action figure.

That said, it is what it is.
    EA/CG along with Disney have an agenda to push their current product and they can label any character a fan favorite as some SW fans like the character to some degree. And judging by the way they use the term they loosely call all their toons fan favorites, even CUP.

Finally releasing R2 as a fan favorite, who they said on a podcast they put a crap ton of time into to ensure his usefulness with many teams, then hyping the launch of another fan favorite afterwards unless it is Luke, C3PO, or main cast movie character that has broad appeal, it will pail in comparison to R2.
  • Bobby777
    614 posts Member
    Options
    Roken_Fett wrote: »
    tenor.gif

Where's Jango, brah?

:fearful:
  • Roken_Fett
    1293 posts Member
    Options
    tenor.gif

Where's Jango, brah?

Had to go straight for it at the source.
  • Bobby777
    614 posts Member
    Options
    tenor.gif

Where's Jango, brah?

Had to go straight for it at the source.

:cold_sweat:
  • Spyda
    318 posts Member
    Options
    capifico22 wrote: »
    Holy hell, you're all weirdly off base on one side or the other. Let's stop making over the top comments. Let's just establish non-opinion facts: R2D2 is the greatest character ever. ;)

However, just because R2 is the greatest, it doesn't mean there aren't other great characters.

I would hope no one is arguing that Thrawn is just as popular as R2, because that would be silly.

Thrawn however, is also popular, and a favorite among many fans.

You can have varying degrees of fan favorites, from different parts of the Star Wars universe. I feel like this shouldn't be so hard to grasp, and is kind of the point of a "cantina" game.

+1
This discussion has been closed.