State of the Galaxy 8/11/2017 [Mega]

Replies

• Uklem wrote: »
    I say this with as much respect as I can and as a businessperson. The reason FTP doesn't get catered to is because they are....well....free. It is not sound business to cater to a group you make no financial gain from. I also say this as someone who saw the Ben thing coming and farmed him some but not aggressively enough. So I had to pay. The communication was fine the info was hinted strongly enough. It was a fun mystery.

If F2P are not happy, they leave and don't become paying customers. Worse they might leave review about how the game is only about the big paying customers which mean even less "new blood". Add that paying customer tend to leave when they "master" the game or become bored and you create a decline in the game population simply by focussing on a narrower community for a short gain.

I am not saying that there shouldn't be some focus on the paying customer but dismissing the "visitor" is not a smart move. Like saying that a mall should forbid entry to anyone who don't plan to spend 100$.

Last month I bought my first pack (needed some chirpa shard), but I don't see myself spending on future event if there is no way to know a few weeks before if said event is for me.

I don't think this event targeted spending or non spending customers, to be honest. I think the CL event was designed to say thank you to a large number of long time gamers as best they could. There's no reason to gloat or gripe. I got CL, and I say thank you. If you got him too, great. If not, he'll come around again.
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • ColonelTravis
    365 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Uklem wrote: »

If F2P are not happy, they leave and don't become paying customers. Worse they might leave review about how the game is only about the big paying customers which mean even less "new blood". Add that paying customer tend to leave when they "master" the game or become bored and you create a decline in the game population simply by focussing on a narrower community for a short gain.

I am not saying that there shouldn't be some focus on the paying customer but dismissing the "visitor" is not a smart move. Like saying that a mall should forbid entry to anyone who don't plan to spend 100$.

Last month I bought my first pack (needed some chirpa shard), but I don't see myself spending on future event if there is no way to know a few weeks before if said event is for me.

Whales carry mobile gaming. Most recent numbers I've read is 70% in-app purchases, just about 60% total revenue for the whole industry, I don't know what the figure is for SWGOH. Someone who spends serious money on a game is not going to care about F2P review gripes.

Anyone heard a bunch of whales complaining about this Luke event? I haven't.

I'm F2P - the game isn't focused on me and never will be. If you accept that, as I have, your frustration level will plummet.
  • Got my commander, but absolute garbage what you've done to arena. Just a swarm of cls in top 10 and the fun has been taken out of it. Nice job.
  • Uklem
    46 posts Member
    I say this with as much respect as I can and as a businessperson. The reason FTP doesn't get catered to is because they are....well....free. It is not sound business to cater to a group you make no financial gain from. I also say this as someone who saw the Ben thing coming and farmed him some but not aggressively enough. So I had to pay. The communication was fine the info was hinted strongly enough. It was a fun mystery.

I don't think this event targeted spending or non spending customers, to be honest. I think the CL event was designed to say thank you to a large number of long time gamers as best they could. There's no reason to gloat or gripe. I got CL, and I say thank you. If you got him too, great. If not, he'll come around again.

The event may not be targeted (without cg/ea saying something we don't know like half the thing in this game), but the communication was and badly.
    This is why I say the com was poor. We got more than 3 months of com about an event that in the end was designed for a little part of the community. How many player took the time to farm some character (Luke and OB for me) to discover at the last moment that you needed them at 7* G9 at least?
    If 3 months ago they had announced that Luke's journey was designed for long term player I would have had no problem. I would have even been very happy to have some event for dedicated player especially if TB is playable by all player. But in the end, the com cheated me of my game plan and game time just because no one at ea/cg thought that I and a lot of others were worth enough in this game.
  • Uklem wrote: »

The event may not be targeted (without cg/ea saying something we don't know like half the thing in this game), but the communication was and badly.
    This is why I say the com was poor. We got more than 3 months of com about an event that in the end was designed for a little part of the community. How many player took the time to farm some character (Luke and OB for me) to discover at the last moment that you needed them at 7* G9 at least?
    If 3 months ago they had announced that Luke's journey was designed for long term player I would have had no problem. I would have even been very happy to have some event for dedicated player especially if TB is playable by all player. But in the end, the com cheated me of my game plan and game time just because no one at ea/cg thought that I and a lot of others were worth enough in this game.

If you keep complaining... I'm not sure it'll cause CG to just put the next epic toon in your inbox, which is basically what your request amounts to. Now before you get defensive, listen to that statement. I'm sorry you didn't get CL, but don't you think you should at least be reasonable? You're request essentially means they'll make no profit off the most epic toon to date. Maybe that's your gripe, that CG is in it to make money too. Maybe you think CG should make CL a blatant hand out.
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    But in the end, the com cheated me of my game plan and game time just because no one at ea/cg thought that I and a lot of others were worth enough in this game.
    I seriously don't understand, here. Do you have all the legendary characters? If yes, then why couldn't you have unlocked CLS? And if no, then why would you expect this event to be easier, despite the statement of the devs that it was going to be more epic even than a legendary character event?
    If this event has shown us anything, it's that a decent number of people have a problem with two things: planning ahead and managing expectations.
    swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
  • StrikeforceBlade
    73 posts Member
    edited August 2017

If you keep complaining... I'm not sure it'll cause CG to just put the next epic toon in your inbox, which is basically what your request amounts to. Now before you get defensive, listen to that statement. I'm sorry you didn't get CL, but don't you think you should at least be reasonable? You're request essentially means they'll make no profit off the most epic toon to date. Maybe that's your gripe, that CG is in it to make money too. Maybe you think CG should make CL a blatant hand out.

On one hand you say that the CLS event is "to say thank you to long time players" and in the next post is talking about CG making profit off the event. Your posts are a contradiction.

If this is about saying thank you then it wouldn't hurt to give players slightly more notice and time to prepare so they get their 'thank you reward'.

If its about profit then they should keep on doing what they are doing!

• On one hand you say that the CLS event is "to say thank you to long time players" and in the next post is talking about CG making profit off the event. Your posts are a contradiction.

There's nothing contradictory whatsoever.

• On one hand you say that the CLS event is "to say thank you to long time players" and in the next post is talking about CG making profit off the event. Your posts are a contradiction.

There's nothing contradictory whatsoever.

I think you are being obtuse for the sake of it ;)
  • ColonelTravis
    365 posts Member
    edited August 2017

I think you are being obtuse for the sake of it ;)

No, I'm not. You gave zero reasons why it's contradictory. Please explain why those two things cannot exist in the same universe. It's your charge, back it up.

• I think you are being obtuse for the sake of it ;)

No, I'm not. You gave zero reasons why it's contradictory. Please explain why those two things cannot exist in the same universe. It's your charge, back it up.

I think that it is hinted at in my post -Since hints are all that people seem to need to work out things in this game -you piece it together!

• I think that it is hinted at in my post -Since hints are all that people seem to need to work out things in this game -you piece it together!

That's another way of saying you cannot back it up. If there are hints, then there are also big, glaring reasons to be spelled out easily. Please explain why "thank you" and "profit" don't mix. I can tell you why I disagree but you're gonna have to tell me yours first because you're the one who threw it out there and I don't think what you said made any sense. So, no, I'm not seeing any hints.
  • "Thank you to the long time players of our game - who have all these friends of Luke already at 7* and well geared. Here is a CLS for FREE!"

"Gee, we're going to make heaps of profit off our long time players when they have to spend money to level and gear these characters they need"

I think there's a contradiction there.
  • slugbahr wrote: »
    "Thank you to the long time players of our game - who have all these friends of Luke already at 7* and well geared. Here is a CLS for FREE!"

"Gee, we're going to make heaps of profit off our long time players when they have to spend money to level and gear these characters they need"

I like how you think these extremes are the only variables that could ever be in play.
    "Thank you to the long time players of our game - who have all these friends of Luke already at 7* and well geared. Here is a CLS for FREE!"

This made me laugh out loud and I'm so kittens kittens at this game right I can't kittens stamd it. Just tier 3 alone has caused me to kittens hate this event but you just made me laugh so that's a little better.

This made me laugh out loud and I'm so kittens kittens at this game right I can't kittens stamd it. Just tier 3 alone has caused me to kittens hate this event but you just made me laugh so that's a little better.

Did their work for them ahead of time even though they didn't think of me for this event.

I like how you think these extremes are the only variables that could ever be in play.

Am I supposed to list every variable that is?? I'm not interested in writing a 10,000 word thesis.
    You wanted more than hints (from someone else, sure), I gave them.

I like how you like things - good for you!
  • If this event were really about profit, they would sell more data cards. I can only imagine a small percentage of people who are so irresponsible with their money that they would whale up on something with so little return on investment as those bundled packs for 699 crystals. Maybe a ton of small friez purchasing one but 699 crystals you can easily save over a few days so they could very well make nothing off the purchase of those. Rich people tend to make wise investments or look for diversity for damage control from wise investments. It makes no marketing sense to depend on those for revenue instead of the limit one packs. Although I haven't seen the metrics on them.
  • If this event were really about profit, they would sell more data cards. I can only imagine a small percentage of people who are so irresponsible with their money that they would whale up on something with so little return on investment as those bundled packs for 699 crystals. Maybe a ton of small friez purchasing one but 699 crystals you can easily save over a few days so they could very well make nothing off the purchase of those. Rich people tend to make wise investments or look for diversity for damage control from wise investments. It makes no marketing sense to depend on those for revenue instead of the limit one packs. Although I haven't seen the metrics on them.

*unwise
  • ColonelTravis
    365 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    slugbahr wrote: »
    slugbahr wrote: »

Am I supposed to list every variable that is?? I'm not interested in writing a 10,000 word thesis.

No - you're supposed to give valid reasons that aren't simply repeating the original assertion. That's all you did. The world you set up in your argument doesn't exist. <--- -see this? There are more things going on in reality than the two scenarios you listed. Hello, is this thing on? I'm a long-time player since Dec. 2015, who didn't have a problem getting all the characters ready. I'm assuming EA/CG didn't lose money on this event, I can't be 100% sure here but I also can't come up with a reason they would lose money. So with me alone I have shot down this thesis without giving any other reasons, which I promise to do if you or someone else will, also.

If it's SO apparent, then this should be easy.

Why is "thank you" and "profit" incompatible?
  • Thanks for the event though I didn't get CLS but still I enjoyed it.

Congrats to all who managed to get CLS and to others better luck next time. It's not the end of your gaming career. For sure they will release again this event in the future so be ready. Just enjoy and move on! :)

Peace all! o:)
    Discord: ScruffySailor#7124
    https://swgoh.gg/u/scruffysailor/

No, you didn't give more than hints. All you did was re-write the same argument. I'm a long-time player since Dec. 2015. I didn't have all of Luke's friends at 7*, didn't have to spend any money and I got CL. So your two variables have been blown to bits just on that tidbit from me alone. Trust me, I have more reasons.

Try harder.

• Soooo, I'm gaming along and spending all my bonus energy and stuff when I notice...Tank is in Phase 4. I load up my favorite p4 team (Wiggs, Lando, BF, AA) and by the third topple, wham. Wiggs and AA our out. Jesus. What do I do? Phase 4 goes by much to quick to retreat fror better RNG. I decide to bite this one when all of a sudden, *doodle oodle oot* Lando knocks adds and turrets to a sliver of red. I annihilate with BF and resume BHR. Then *doodle oodle oot* Lando topples again. WOOT. At leat I get one more topple. OH NO! Here comes the fly over...*schplew* and Lando is unscathed and BF revives...*doodle oodle oot* Lando gets all adds and turrets to a sliver again then BF annihilates for BHR once again. Yet Anothet TOPPLE. Over and over and over until I ppst a smashing score of 2.2 million. YEAHHHHHH!
  • Soooo, I'm gaming along and spending all my bonus energy and stuff when I notice...Tank is in Phase 4. I load up my favorite p4 team (Wiggs, Lando, BF, AA) and by the third topple, wham. Wiggs and AA our out. Jesus. What do I do? Phase 4 goes by much to quick to retreat fror better RNG. I decide to bite this one when all of a sudden, *doodle oodle oot* Lando knocks adds and turrets to a sliver of red. I annihilate with BF and resume BHR. Then *doodle oodle oot* Lando topples again. WOOT. At leat I get one more topple. OH NO! Here comes the fly over...*schplew* and Lando is unscathed and BF revives...*doodle oodle oot* Lando gets all adds and turrets to a sliver again then BF annihilates for BHR once again. Yet Anothet TOPPLE. Over and over and over until I ppst a smashing score of 2.2 million. YEAHHHHHH!

Commander Luke ain't got nothin on that ya'll
  • I'm glad I didn't get Commander Luke. I threw him on the GROUUUUND! I ain't gonna be part of your system.
  • Some EA/CG game tries to hand me a Commander Luke Skywalker...I said Maaaan, whatchoo think I look like a meta chaser? I THREW IT ON THE GROUND
  • Gee, you mean life goes on Dagger?????!?!
    ;)
  • Gee, you mean life goes on Dagger?????!?!
    ;)

Lol. Yes
  • When you get CL: he (like everyone else) stinks unless geared up well, so stock up on gear. I'm not a whale so it will take a little while. Not able to fully enjoy him yet. It's fun on the first few GW nodes, but otherwise....

I know plenty of people would like to be in the position I'm in, simply having him. All I'm just saying is that for some of us, simply having him isn't a game changer. Plus I'll never be at the top of my shard anyway, even with a maxed CL. Never have been at the top of my shard ever, period. Not even my goal.

No, you didn't give more than hints. All you did was re-write the same argument. I'm a long-time player since Dec. 2015. I didn't have all of Luke's friends at 7*, didn't have to spend any money and I got CL. So your two variables have been blown to bits just on that tidbit from me alone. Trust me, I have more reasons.

Try harder.

Nah, I have a real brick wall in front of me that I can bang my head against for no benefit.
    A wall which, like yourself, does not have the ability to change the meaning of words.