Why equal TB rewards is bad for the game.

Prev134
Top spenders in lower-medium tier HAAT guilds will be incentivized to leave their guilds. This will result in loss of comradery and loss of sense of community, which will result in ....(fill in the blank).

I'm a relatively new player but a top 3 arena player, spent more on this game than 90 percent of people on this forum. I'm very unhappy with this situation. Unhappy players is bad for your business.

Suggestions: players who complete a certain percentage of the new raid will all be guaranteed enough g12 gear that they will be able to stay competitive in the arena with their competitors (who may spend less money than them but just be in "better" guilds).

Playing with the same people for almost a year and you're going to put me in this position EA? Shame on you.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Unfortunately people who want to leave their guilds will leave their guilds, new content does this not so much the reward structure.

Many posts have come up about the reward structure of the game saying it pits players against each other, they made this to require cooperation and even rewards to avoid this.... I guess they can't make everyone happy.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Unfortunately people who want to leave their guilds will leave their guilds, new content does this not so much the reward structure.

Many posts have come up about the reward structure of the game saying it pits players against each other, they made this to require cooperation and even rewards to avoid this.... I guess they can't make everyone happy.

This. One of the biggest complaints about the Rancor raid rewards when it was first released was that they pit guild members against each other, because the rewards were top heavy. With AAT, at least, the shard rewards are equal.

As Kyno said, even rewards encourages cooperation as opposed to competition within the guild as far as rewards go.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    And if the rewards make as much sense and HAAT or HPit, it won't matter anyway. Looking at you CG.
  • Options
    I would add that we don't even know the details of the reward structure yet. Big-gun guilds will score higher and get more rewards ? Yes, we know that, but by how much ? This is an unknown part of the Territory Battles. With the exception of the shards for ROLO, which we know will come (at least in part) from the special mission (one shard per guild member succeeding at the mission), we don't know the amount of rewards.
    So, what if the difference between top-tier rewards and low-tier rewards is lower than the difference between #1 and #31 spots in HAAT ? Would the best player of a guild really be wise to leave his guild to join a stronger one ?
    Thus I think it's way too early to say it'll kill the mixed guilds. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but apocalyptic prophecies are too early to profess. ;)
  • Options
    I would say I am concerned as well. If your a whale in a guild where on average other members can only preform half the tasks. Then you will only get half the gear12 items. SO in the near term your going to fall behind others that are in a full whale guild.

But, we do not know everything yet. There could be a sliding scale. IF your guild can only do half the territory battles you might get 80% of the max gear 12 gear. However, its more likly it will slide the other way...
  • Options
    When TB was first announced, I believe the Devs stated it would disrupt current Guilds and cause the formation of stronger Guilds. I continue to play this game because of my Guildmates. If TB fractures Guilds it will truly be a sad day.
  • Options
    If this bothers you there's an easy solution: Join a guild with friends so you're playing for more than just phat lewtz.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    UoJCAM wrote: »
    When TB was first announced, I believe the Devs stated it would disrupt current Guilds and cause the formation of stronger Guilds. I continue to play this game because of my Guildmates. If TB fractures Guilds it will truly be a sad day.

First off, to be honest, I don't remember devs saying that. I know people speculated that that would be the case.

Second, if TB does encourage guilds to restructure, that would be the second time (HAAT did the same).

Which begs the question of development team - why encourage guild formation and guild play, if you are going to continually release content to break them apart?

Again, I acknowledge that we don't know if TB's structure and/or rewards will do this yet. But I agree - if it does, it will be a sad development and another poor design choice that will likely lead to more players leaving.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    This will definitely break up guilds, but it's done the right way now. This is how it should have been from the beginning. The current system rewards players for being the the worst guild possible that gets 600 and completes HAAT. I've never seen a guild system like that before. Every other game I've played encourage players to be in the best guild possible, and that's the direction this new content pushes things, and I'm happy with that, even if the transition is rough.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

First off, to be honest, I don't remember devs saying that. I know people speculated that that would be the case.

Second, if TB does encourage guilds to restructure, that would be the second time (HAAT did the same).

Which begs the question of development team - why encourage guild formation and guild play, if you are going to continually release content to break them apart?

Again, I acknowledge that we don't know if TB's structure and/or rewards will do this yet. But I agree - if it does, it will be a sad development and another poor design choice that will likely lead to more players leaving.

I believe it was in a pod cast they said that they think it may break up guilds, I'm not sure on the direct wording though.

This structure is better for the game then the current HAAT structure which can allow 30 "new " players to get GK, because they are carried by 20 older players (or less at this point since we know 3 can basically take down the whole thing)

This will cause guilds to form with more even player lvl and investment (time and/or $) with less players being carried because they can do 600. I don't see this as a bad thing.

That being said, I agree what the rewards are exactly may cause issues, but from what we know right now of the structure, I think its a good thing.

Guilds that have been established and not built to be carried by a few should be fine. Players leave because they want a bigger bite of the apple, the devs cannot control this past a certain point. New content gives people the itch, not always the rewards.
  • Options
    If your guild is already working well together and people only get rewards for participating, then there shouldn't be in issue. Equal rewards are better than the random placement when half your guild solos the Rancor and your top run doesn't even get you in the top 10 rewards.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

They definitely did say that it will cause some movement in guilds, and I believe that they said they view it as a good thing. It was on the Galactic War Report podcast. (Great podcast BTW.)

I'm ambivalent about that. People want to play with friends, and those they have formed connections with, and they want to stay competitive. High level content often kills that. You have to choose.

But the alternative is to put out easy content that isn't a challenge which would bore/disappoint serious players. They really can't make everyone happy. Putting out challenging content that requires cooperation is preferred I suppose. And it may cause disruption it tight knit guilds, but I bet a lot of what it does is put a stop to elite guilds recruiting new players who post 50k damage to get Kenobi shards in exchange for getting their 600 daily so that the big fish in the guild can farm top rewards. That's probably what the devs view as being less than ideal, and hope to change with harder content.

And as has been mentioned before, we'll have to see what the rewards look like. If mid level guilds are able to finish at least part of it, and get decent rewards they will likely stick together and build up. The HAAT only killed guilds because there was little to no progression. HAAT was impossible for most, and normal took 1-2 weeks for moderately strong guilds to finish, and gave garbage rewards.

If the Territory Battles reward structure is tiered well they can get the best of both. Moderate guilds get enough rewards to be happy with as they progress together, and big guilds will stop recruiting shark bait to use for getting 600.
  • Options
    Guild: an association of people for mutual aid or the pursuit of a common goal

And yet, all content from guilds to date has been about guild competition. Guild activities, Rancor raid, Tank raid: All pit guild members AGAINST each other to try to maximize rewards. The only mutual aid has been ticket creation (so we can launch another competition) and gear donation (the only genuinely collaborative thing).

So I for one am glad that we finally have something meaningful that is actually collaboration and cooperation in a guild.
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    Options
    If your guild is already working well together and people only get rewards for participating, then there shouldn't be in issue. Equal rewards are better than the random placement when half your guild solos the Rancor and your top run doesn't even get you in the top 10 rewards.

This. I'm lucky to be in a good,strong guild. We have several people who don't have all the required characters but we've got enough that we should make it work. I don't see any of our guys moving to other guilds because of this.
  • Corvus
    190 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Actually I like that conceot of equal rewards that gives stronger players the option to help out weaker players in a guild. I don't see this as bad. I really hate the current reward structure whre the strong get stronger and the weak stay weak :(. For Arena this is ok but not for Guild activities where its all about helping each other.
  • zombiwan_kenobi
    427 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I don't see what's wrong in making players who only care about getting better rewards than other guild mates simply leave.

No one is complaining about getting 6 GK tokens, guild members are working together toward the same goal, not fighting among themselves. And i don't see many players leaving for such reasons.

Enough with this elitism, it only brings toxicity and really sick mentality. Guild events are shared objectives, if you want some tough competition you already have two arenas.
  • Options
    Can't make everyone happy. And upset players have been around since day 1 and they will continue to be around for the years to come.
  • Twin
    527 posts Member
    Options
    While yes it sounds lame that the top 20% of a guild can "carry" the rest, this imo is ultimately healthy for the game.

The HAAT rewards and carrying is good, it allows players to keep up or catch up with good toons. The big roster players are rewarded with better gear rewards. Win win imo.

If the gap gets too large as guilds/players consolidate, it could literally discourage new players.

I started just under a year ago and it was a challenge for that first 4-6 months or so. I couldn't participate in most events. I couldn't complete tiers with the decent rewards and the grind was hellish slow, if you think gearing at 85+ is slow... Think about doing it with even less resources. I was close to quiting simply because I couldn't even participate in a lame tier I of an event for rewards to fit my level.

Right now the main form of "catch up" mechanic at play is power creep (CLS, DN etc). Newer players can skip entire metas, and probably would be wise to do so as their rosters grow. Older players still have a huge advantage cause they can gear faster, better mods, rewords give them more options etc.

There are too many events, teams etc now adays to have the "earn it like I did" mentality. Cause honestly you didn't miss nearly as much opportunity as the newer players do now.

Would you play this game if someone said.. yeah it starts to be fun after about 6 months?

I am willing to bet this won't be as bad as HAAT where all 50 people pretty much have to do their 2%. I do think it will be a challenge but if 50% can field the needed 5 teams, I bet the guild will be fine.

• Options
    Equal rewards is the best thing they could've done for TB it makes guilds shuffle their players and no longer allows fillers for 600's. I personally think this was to keep the entire population of players from being able to get max rewards out of TB right away. It is a progression game and the devs need to slow the progression so they can release more and better content
  • Julmay
    177 posts Member
    Options
    phatphil3 wrote: »
    Equal rewards is the best thing they could've done for TB it makes guilds shuffle their players and no longer allows fillers for 600's. I personally think this was to keep the entire population of players from being able to get max rewards out of TB right away. It is a progression game and the devs need to slow the progression so they can release more and better content

This will not increase the amount of content to come out. The devs have shown that they want to pump out toon after toon to make us want to spend money for toons that nobody has. There is nothing evil with being a greedy capitalist, but that isn't content
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    if you spend more than 90% of the people on this forum, staying competative in arena eventhough your guild is "holding you back" in TB shouldn't be a problem.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    I'm in a guild with my real life friends and some new folks brought in by those friends. We have failed HAAT twice, barely getting halfway into phase 2 this last time. I've got 0 Kenobi shards and, as a result, have slid from top 50 to struggling to hang onto top 200.

If I left my friends to get Kenobi with strangers I would delete the game off my phone and walk into the ocean. People are more important than progress.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    I dont mind it. We have a 3 guild alliance where we complete HAAt and Pit regularly. However they have started switching players out so we have a high medium low, which is a little disappointing however we will all still be able to clear HAAT. I really hope they dont limit Character shards to just one phaes like they did with HAAT. Would be nice to have lets say 10 shards for clearing phase 12, 10 for phase 10/11 8 for phase 8,9 and like 5 for phases 5-7 or something like that. That way the more powerful guilds who progress all the way through TB are rewarded but the guilds only completing half can make progress albiet at only half the time.
  • Options
    Wasn't there a mass exodus of players looking to
    join HAAT guilds? If whales didn't leave marginal strength guilds because of loyalty back then why would they leave now? We already have super guilds that merged when HAAT came out so top end guilds should already be solidified.

I just don't see people abandoning guilds now like they did when HAAT came out.
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    I'm in a guild with my real life friends and some new folks brought in by those friends. We have failed HAAT twice, barely getting halfway into phase 2 this last time. I've got 0 Kenobi shards and, as a result, have slid from top 50 to struggling to hang onto top 200.

If I left my friends to get Kenobi with strangers I would delete the game off my phone and walk into the ocean. People are more important than progress.

I back this statement 100%.
  • Options
    I agree many high end guys will be looking for stronger guilds if their current guild is not as strong as them.
    Also according to variance in rewards
  • sneeekypants
    1914 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Mr_Sausage wrote: »
    join HAAT guilds? If whales didn't leave marginal strength guilds because of loyalty back then why would they leave now? We already have super guilds that merged when HAAT came out so top end guilds should already be solidified.

Actually most large guild alliances are merging their top players into "super guilds". Many are already completed, we're still in the process.

The reward structure is much different than HAAT and other games that have a guild event where everyone gets the same rewards. The key point is whales can't carry weak people, which was one of their main purposes.

You can have 1 whale and 49 new FTP players w 7* Lumi get HAAT rewards. The whale's rewards do not change and actually are better with a bunch of weak people since they will place higher vs a whale in a guild with 49 other whales.

Under TB, for every weak or member less than 50, you lose out. That is the key. So you can look at it as instead of a whale providing for all, it's every weak player is deleting his potential reward. A whale with a bunch minnows is going to fall significantly behind whales that swim with other whales and won't be able to catch up no matter how much they spend.
  • Options
    Mr_Sausage wrote: »

You are exactly right, people were jumping ship like crazy when hAAT dropped. There will be some that leave and some stay. The reward system in both raids is broken. Gear isn't guaranteed and place really doesn't mean anything for gear.

When hAAT dropped I was in a guild that struggled because hAAT was a huge jump in the beginning. I stuck it out for a while and then had to leave after a few months of waiting because I was falling behind. It was a hard decision because I was in that guild from day 1. They knew it wasn't personal and we used a chat app. So I stayed in the group so we could still be friends. Then eventually, I was able to start merging the guilds so we became a big happy family again.

• Options
    Whale and kraken guilds are already reaching out to stronger members of many guilds on line and through PM to recruit them. This is happening.

And based on what I've seen it looks like every member of a whale guild will be getting shards / g12 gear at approx TWICE the rate of a lower tier HAAT guild.

It creates tremendous incentive to get to be a member of a whale guild if you care at all about arena.

Why should a player who plays less actively, less strategically, and spends less money, have an advantage ??

Punishing me for wanting to remain loyal to my comrades is bad business.

A system needs to be in place where top contributors in mediocre guilds receive rewards that are still COMPETITIVE to those in stronger guilds.
  • Options
    DarthR244D wrote: »

You are exactly right, people were jumping ship like crazy when hAAT dropped. There will be some that leave and some stay. The reward system in both raids is broken. Gear isn't guaranteed and place really doesn't mean anything for gear.

Interesting experience, I'm one of those that did not jump ship. Eventually, after several months of 0 GK shards, we merged our guild with another to get heroic tank on farm, for both us and the other guild created from the merge. I now have a 7* GK and I was placing in the top 5 for the entire time.

People are overreacting, in my opinion. But that's just my way of playing.