We ever gonna get LGBT in-game characters?

Replies

• Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    We have Chirrut and Baze. Two of the best characters in the game are LGBTQ.
    Possibly. They left the exact nature of their relationship open to interpretation so it could hit different people in different ways.

I know a lot of people who read them as gay, but I
    Possibly. They left the exact nature of their relationship open to interpretation so it could hit different people in different ways.

I know a lot of people who read them as gay, but I also know a lot of combat vets who read them as brothers in arms. Everyone brings their own experience to the characters, which allows them to invest in them more personally—especially in an exposition-light movie like Rogue One.

I agree 100%.
  • Options

I know a lot of people who read them as gay, but I also know a lot of combat vets who read them as brothers in arms. Everyone brings their own experience to the characters, which allows them to invest in them more personally—especially in an exposition-light movie like Rogue One.

To me, the most convincing piece of evidence for Chaze being partners was the way Baze looked at Chirrut in the moment before Death Trooper’s detonator exploded. Like he was ready to see Chirrut again in the afterlife, or be one with him in the force, or whatever. When the nature of a relationship extends beyond the physical world and into the afterlife, to me the depth of that relationship has to be much more than any of the more superficial interpretations. They were soul mates IMO.
  • Options
    BTBAMthony wrote: »
    If your sexual orientation is all that defines you and allows you to relate to a character. You should probably rethink your life.

Hear, hear.

See also race, gender, religious affiliation, social class as so on and so forth.

I'm assuming there's a fair amount of Americans posting on this board. "Identity politics" have reached worrying levels there, for sure. The more labels we give ourselves and cling to the more barriers we put up between us and each other. The more barriers we put in place, the less likely we are to see what unites us rather than that which we can allow ourselves to be divided by.

People are people are people. We are all one. We don't need all these divisive labels.

• snowhut
    290 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    LGBTIQCAPGNGFNBA, a tag for each, it's only fair and right.

Seriously though, I feel like society in Star Wars has gone beyond the need to classify groups based on sexuality, they went straight to inter-species for crying out loud. If someone gets upset at something like a main female protagonist developing feelings for a male support character, instead of some kitten multi-spirited giraffe looking creature, they should learn to relax. There are better ways to push a cause, as noble as it may be, than to forcibly inject it into every aspect of life, just for the sake of appeasing a very vocal small subset of the movement.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    They were soul mates IMO.
    100% for sure!

I had a real great talk with a friend of mine who did a couple tours in Iraq. We were talking about Baze and Chirrut and I mentioned that look and he, who I should point out is all for inclusion in the movie, told me that look haunted him because one of his friends in the early days of the war gave that exact look to him as he was dying of a wound. My friend doesn’t shy away from talking about his service, but usually it’s very sanitized goofy stories, this was the first time I’d heard him say something that dark.

Anyway, yeah. Whether they are platonic or romantic loves, Baze and Chirrut are 100% soul mates.
    People are people are people. We are all one. We don't need all these divisive labels.
    Well that’s a really high-minded thing to say. But why does “Identity politics are out of hand” mean that we don’t need and/or shouldn’t have non-straight characters?

Straightness is an identity. Whiteness is an identity. Masculinity is an identity. So why are you implying that people who aren’t straight, white, and/ormale need to live with having their identity not represented because you want yours up there?
    snowhut wrote: »
    If someone gets upset at something like a main female protagonist developing feelings for a male support character, instead of some kitten multi-spirited giraffe looking creature, they should learn to relax.
    People aren’t mad that Poe and Finn aren’t going to bang.

People are mad because whenever they say, “Krennic was definitely a gay man” other people get up in arms and say things like “STAR WARS ISN’T ABOUT SEX!!!!!”

Seriously. Re-read the replies here and take a shot every time someone says “It doesn’t matter” and then goes on to say why there doesn’t need to be LBGTQIA (Lesbian, ****, Gaay (sic), Transgendered, (Gender) Queeer (sic), Intersexed, Asexuual (sic); since you seem to think it’s funny to add extra letters I thought I’d tell you exactly who you’re laughing at) characters.

For something that doesn’t matter, there sure are a lot of people who don’t care that seem to care about it not mattering...

Edit: Had to purposely misspell the words marked (sic) because they’re censored on the board because—and this is directly related to the matter at hand—people still throw those words around as insults in 2017.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

7%? Is that a figure from the 700 Club? Even so, 7% = over 500 million people (based on the world population being ~7.6 billion). LGBTQ doesn’t seem so small now, does it?
    7% seems a bit high. According to wiki only 3.8% of all americans identify as LGBT. Not sure if America is representative of the world though or if wiki is even correct for that matter.
    500 million out of ~7.6 billion is a small group. That's the beauty of percentages.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    Welp, one of the last safe havens from being able to escape our overly politicized society has been contaminated. You know how many times I thought "wow, kylo is a straight white guy"? Never, the answer is never. I'd bet the overwhelming majority don't play this game for that or even think about it.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

For something that doesn’t matter, there sure are a lot of people who don’t care that seem to care about it not mattering...

I'm not a fan of the whole PC / SJW movement. The thing is, i don't care, but the movement is making me care about stuff i don't care about in order to not come off as a ....... in their eyes.
    That's where it gets iffy.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    As a total Star Wars nerd, nothing makes me more proud of the franchise than their shift towards using diverse actors and actresses as well as creating diverse characters. R1 raised the bar for a diverse cast in a time when Hollywood still “whitewashes” the cast completely.
    I also love that Chirrut has a disability. Aside from Professor X and Daredevil, there aren’t many heroes with disabilities.
  • Options
    You know how many times I thought "wow, kylo is a straight white guy"? Never, the answer is never.
    Well no duh it’s never... That’s the whole point of representation. People want to see people that look like themselves in the media that they consume. You never thought “Kylo is a straight white dude” because you never had to. You had Kylo and Anakin and Obi-Wan and Luke and Han and Tarkin and Poe and Veers and Qui-Gon and Biggs and Wedge and Lobot and and and and... Go through the internet archived and take a look at how angry some white guys were when they found out Jango Fett was a Maori actor and that meant that Boba Fett wasn’t white. Go look at people who were outraged at Finn’s very existence.

Look at all the effort you’re putting into telling people to whom it matters that it shouldn’t matter.
    leef wrote: »

I'm not a fan of the whole PC / SJW movement. The thing is, i don't care, but the movement is making me care about stuff i don't care about in order to not come off as a ....... in their eyes.
    Nah, it’s okay to not care. I normally don’t say anything when my friends get up in arms over the cause du jour.

Ultimately what people want is apathy. Apathy means total acceptance on a fundamental level.

But, again, look at how many guys here have rallied around the “I don’t care” banner. If you truly don’t care you just don’t say anything. What happens when a minority brings up a concern is that the majority gets up on the defensive and immediately needs to justify why things are the way they are.

So, yeah, go ahead and not have an opinion. No one’s going to give you bullroar for that. Just don’t immediately write off the concerns of others and get defensive.
  • Options
    There is a big difference between "Lucas Star Wars" and "Disney Star Wars".
    Like it or not, but it's not the same "Star Wars".

In my humble opinion Star Wars is not Star Wars without George Lucas, and this discussion is my personal proof for that...
  • Options
    You know how many times I thought "wow, kylo is a straight white guy"? Never, the answer is never.
    Well no duh it’s never... That’s the whole point of representation. People want to see people that look like themselves in the media that they consume. You never thought “Kylo is a straight white dude” because you never had to. You had Kylo and Anakin and Obi-Wan and Luke and Han and Tarkin and Poe and Veers and Qui-Gon and Biggs and Wedge and Lobot and and and and...

How do you know lobot, veers, poe or tarkin were gay? Do you need them to wear glitter or kiss another guy? I'm all in for LGBT rights, but this discussion just doesn't make sense
  • Options
    this artifical discussion is nothing more than a hypothetical brain fart, it leads nowhere...
  • Options
    Well no duh it’s never... That’s the whole point of representation. People want to see people that look like themselves in the media that they consume. You never thought “Kylo is a straight white dude” because you never had to. You had Kylo and Anakin and Obi-Wan and Luke and Han and Tarkin and Poe and Veers and Qui-Gon and Biggs and Wedge and Lobot and and and and... Go through the internet archived and take a look at how angry some white guys were when they found out Jango Fett was a Maori actor and that meant that Boba Fett wasn’t white. Go look at people who were outraged at Finn’s very existence.

Look at all the effort you’re putting into telling people to whom it matters that it shouldn’t matter.
    leef wrote: »

Nah, it’s okay to not care. I normally don’t say anything when my friends get up in arms over the cause du jour.

Ultimately what people want is apathy. Apathy means total acceptance on a fundamental level.

But, again, look at how many guys here have rallied around the “I don’t care” banner. If you truly don’t care you just don’t say anything. What happens when a minority brings up a concern is that the majority gets up on the defensive and immediately needs to justify why things are the way they are.

So, yeah, go ahead and not have an opinion. No one’s going to give you bullroar for that. Just don’t immediately write off the concerns of others and get defensive.

All the effort? I made one post about it to which you somehow were able to write a novel reply to it.
  • Options
    Well no duh it’s never... That’s the whole point of representation. People want to see people that look like themselves in the media that they consume. You never thought “Kylo is a straight white dude” because you never had to. You had Kylo and Anakin and Obi-Wan and Luke and Han and Tarkin and Poe and Veers and Qui-Gon and Biggs and Wedge and Lobot and and and and...

How do you know lobot, veers, poe or tarkin were gay? Do you need them to wear glitter or kiss another guy? I'm all in for LGBT rights, but this discussion just doesn't make sense
    The "you had Lobot, et al" comment is to say that these characters are all straight white men. The person to whom I was replying was saying that he never thought about Kylo as being a straight white guy, so my point was to show him that he didn't think of Kylo like that because he never had to--everyone in the movies has been him.
  • Shenanigans052
    1681 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

The "you had Lobot, et al" comment is to say that these characters are all straight white men. The person to whom I was replying was saying that he never thought about Kylo as being a straight white guy, so my point was to show him that he didn't think of Kylo like that because he never had to--everyone in the movies has been him.

And even if poe were gay, seems likely, I still wouldn't give two kittens. I think a lot less people care about all that than you think they do
    Post edited by Ambassador on
  • Options
    Too much to quote @NicWester killing this entire discussion. Way to handle all these apocalypse scenarios, generalizations, strawmans and deflections like a pro.

I understand many don't understand why sexual orientation matters beyond the romantic or how representation in media is important. Especially if you haven't grown up with first hand exposure to the lgbtq community. However, not understanding is not a logical reason to dismiss or oppose.

Educate yourself, ask questions or go do something productive instead of attacking something you don't understand.
  • Options

And even if poe were gay, seems likely, I still wouldn't give two ****. I think a lot less people care about all that than you think they do
    I think you need to expose yourself outside the safe zone you've made for yourself. Talk to folks about what they want to see. Representation is important and it matters, a lot more people care about it than you do--minorities because they want to see themselves, reactionaries because they're afraid to lose seeing so much of themselves. As I said, go look at the comments about Boba Fett and Finn, go look at the people who say they're actively rooting for the stormtroopers.
  • Options
    We live in sad days when we're all so obsessed with everyone else's private lives and proclivities. When this is even extended to fictional characters I rather feel it's because we've got nothing sensible to spend time thinking about. First world problems...

Yes, I agree. Video games are supposed to be an escape from the world. Not a platform for social politics.
  • Options
    For what?
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Yes, I agree. Video games are supposed to be an escape from the world. Not a platform for social politics.
    Everything is a platform for social politics.

Look. If you think adding an LBGTQIA character to a game is a political statement, then why don't you consider all characters in the game being heterosexual to be a political statement?

So if it doesn't change the game play, why are you so mad? I've avoided learning anything about The Last Jedi because when I go see it in a couple weeks I want to go in fresh, but I gather there's some new character named Rose in it. So let's say we watch the movie and it turns out Rose is a lesbian and they put Rose in Galaxy of Heroes. If it doesn't change the gameplay and it's in the movie, why so mad? It'll make a sizeable portion of the fanbase happy to have her added to the universe because it's the Star Wars universe's way of saying "You exist and are important, even a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away." All you seem to care about is the gameplay, so why are you so defensive about other folks liking something so long as that won't change the gameplay?
    Post edited by Sunnie1978 on
  • Options
    Sinjir and Conder the new unstoppable P2P duo?
  • Options
    Demos1178 wrote: »
    The way this guy (assuming gender) acts is like it has to be obnoxiously obvious.
    The way who acts? Ira Madison? The only part where he says anything close to what you’re talking about is in the final paragraph and is obviously a joke since he references the Babadook... Again, why are you so upset about this if you’re okay with a LBGTQIA character being added?
  • Options
    CG could please add a "gender" tag to each character? Also please make sure we have all the 80 or whatever number of sexes there are.

LMAOOOOOOO EXACTLY!!!
  • DEATHCOYOTE
    977 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    CG could please add a "gender" tag to each character? Also please make sure we have all the 80 or whatever number of sexes there are.

CG also add a tag of what sexuality each character is. I want to have a full LGBT team in this game. Also can LGBT characters be like super overpowered so I don’t get triggered. Thanks!

LOOOOOOOOOOOL
  • Options
    Why are we even discussing this? If it doesn't majorly impact the game, they won't add it as a tag. I'm not trying to be offensive, but how would, say, JKL being gay impact his kit? Spoiler Alert: It wouldn't. So again, why are we discussing this?
  • Options
    To all the “anti-labels” crowd: Should we get rid of Light Side vs Dark Side? Get rid of Jedi, Sith, Phoenix, Bounty Hunter, Scoundrel, etc etc etc?
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Options

Unless they appear in the films/comics/books or TV then no, we are not going to get LGBTQ in-game characters.

• SnakesOnAPlane
    4363 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Demos1178 wrote: »
    To all the “anti-labels” crowd: Should we get rid of Light Side vs Dark Side? Get rid of Jedi, Sith, Phoenix, Bounty Hunter, Scoundrel, etc etc etc?

Those labels effect synergy thus game play. Being gay or whatever make believe gender you choose does not. You defeat your own argument. Take your **** SJW garbage elsewhere.

LGBTQ isn’t a choice.

They could add a whole new realm of synergy, literally, to this game! We must be fair: Add more labels to help differentiate the core fundamentals of a being, what makes them tick, and of course their fighting style. Everyone knows LGBTQ are the best fighters!
    SnakesOnAPlane
This discussion has been closed.