We ever gonna get LGBT in-game characters?

Replies

• Options
    To all the “anti-labels” crowd: Should we get rid of Light Side vs Dark Side? Get rid of Jedi, Sith, Phoenix, Bounty Hunter, Scoundrel, etc etc etc?

Wrong. My 5 yr old son is a Star Wars fan. I have no problem with him learning about good vs evil in his age appropriate content. However, sexual orientation is an issue that should be reserved for more mature audiences and left out of Star Wars all together.
  • Options
    I wanted MT and Nightsisters. Based on my totally unsubstantiated feeling from responses, most people don't even know who they were, have no interest in them, don't think they belong in the game. Even the smaller % of people who did see them in TCW probably didn't care overly - other then Asajj.
    That's a nothing - not even a concern - but people did want them and they were brought into the game. I'm kind of with @leef 's last statement. I don't really care, but if people want their toons, or characters they identify with for WHATEVER **** reason then I'm all for it. Some diversity would be welcome... if I see one more [redacted] Han I'll [redacted] [redacted] ... [redacted] [redacted] .....[redacted].
    (By Han.... I also mean Rebels in general....)
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Options
    To all the “anti-labels” crowd: Should we get rid of Light Side vs Dark Side? Get rid of Jedi, Sith, Phoenix, Bounty Hunter, Scoundrel, etc etc etc?

Wrong. My 5 yr old son is a Star Wars fan. I have no problem with him learning about good vs evil in his age appropriate content. However, sexual orientation is an issue that should be reserved for more mature audiences and left out of Star Wars all together.

I think that is the point if u normalize something it isn't a big deal. I had to drop off my 5year old niece at school the parents of her little friend were dudes or homosexual I was more aware than she. She was like those were my friend dads they are gay. I asked her if she knew what that means she said yeah it means they love each other granunckle Mike she learned about it the way kids have done for ages from school luckily the kids there have an enlightened view of things.
  • Options

I think that is the point if u normalize something it isn't a big deal. I had to drop off my 5year old niece at school the parents of her little friend were dudes or homosexual I was more aware than she. She was like those were my friend dads they are gay. I asked her if she knew what that means she said yeah it means they love each other granunckle Mike she learned about it the way kids have done for ages from school luckily the kids there have an enlightened view of things.

That's great, but, it still doesn't change my opinion. There are plenty of other avenues for this discussion. Star Wars doesn't need to be one of them. Sex should be left out, no matter the orientation.
  • Options

This is awesome. One of the many things I loved about Rogue One is that they had an awesome gay couple (Baze and Chirrut) that defied stereotypes, but didn’t do it in an over-the-top, self-congratulatory way. They were just a natural part of the galaxy who happened to cross paths with Jyn and Cassian.

Sorry if this bothers people, but the future belongs to inclusion and I’m glad Star Wars has fully embraced it.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

5 yo kids don't have an enlightened view of things, they're just highly impressionable. You can make kids think anything is normal. eg make kids think it's okay to assault LGBT people verbally.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options

So it’s okay for them to know about Anakin and Padme, Han and Leia? How do you explain that sexual orientation? But my guess is you wouldn’t dare tell your child Baze and Chirrut might have been lovers, right? Your prejudice is showing.

SnakesOnAPlane
  • Options

So it’s okay for them to know about Anakin and Padme, Han and Leia? How do you explain that sexual orientation? But my guess is you wouldn’t dare tell your child Baze and Chirrut might have been lovers, right? Your prejudice is showing.

Explaining where Kylo came from. Fun conversation
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

Truth be told, i much prefer to explain anakin and padme's relation than chirrut and baze's relation to a 5yo. I'd probably go for they're close friends in both cases though, since the kid is only 5yo.
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

5 yo kids don't have an enlightened view of things, they're just highly impressionable. You can make kids think anything is normal. eg make kids think it's okay to assault LGBT people verbally.

I was being cheeky when I said enlightened and u are right they are highly impressionable like making them think treating lgbt like regular people is normal and no big deal or seeing them in Star Wars is no big deal just like normal.
  • Onark
    104 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    [/quote] Truth be told, i much prefer to explain anakin and padme's relation than chirrut and baze's relation to a 5yo. I'd probably go for they're close friends in both cases though, since the kid is only 5yo. [/quote]

That discomfort is coming from your side though, not the kid. As you said, they're totally impressionable and it makes no difference to them.

For the record, I'm all good with the live and let live stance that you and premier are taking. I think that takes a respectable level of self awareness in contrast to folks getting angry at the mention of sexuality.
  • Options

So it’s okay for them to know about Anakin and Padme, Han and Leia? How do you explain that sexual orientation? But my guess is you wouldn’t dare tell your child Baze and Chirrut

Truth be told, i much prefer to explain anakin and padme's relation than chirrut and baze's relation to a 5yo. I'd probably go for they're close friends in both cases though, since the kid is only 5yo.

Actually, he never watched Rogue One. There wasn't enough lightsabers in it for him. If he did watch it, he would probably just see two guys and think nothing more of it. As far as Anakin and Padme, he thinks those scenes are gross and usually loses interest for a few minutes, but, I don't have to explain anything. He has already been exposed to these things and we've already had these discussions elsewhere. I think parents should be given the choice of what age they think is appropriate for these discussions with their kids. Since Star Wars fans include children of literally every age, I think it is not the best avenue. Star Wars is one of the only franchises that I would take this stand on.
  • Options
    Just want to point out that Rogue One, The Force Awakens, and The Last Jedi are all rated PG-13 in the US. There are likely elements that some would deem inappropriate for children under 13. If you're letting your 5 year old watch them then they may be exposed to things you'd prefer they not be. Bringing in characters from these movies, gay, straight, or otherwise, shouldn't be an issue since nothing in the game would emphasise this attribute of their personalities.
  • Hannibal_Bexus
    620 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    My kid never watched Rogue one. There wasn't enough lightsabers for him. If he had, he would probably see two guys and think nothing else of it. He has seen the prequel trilogy and doesn't like the Anakin & Padme scenes and usually loses interest for a few minutes, then returns when he hears the lightsabers come back. He has already been exposed to different types of sexual orientation and understands quite a bit of it. His grandmother actually has a girlfriend.
    Still, Star Wars is viewed by fans of literally EVERY age. This is one of the very few times that I think this topic should be left out to give (other) parents the chance to decide how, when, and how much their children are exposed.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Onark wrote: »
    That discomfort is coming from your side though, not the kid. As you said, they're totally impressionable and it makes no difference to them.

For the record, I'm all good with the live and let live stance that you and premier are taking. I think that takes a respectable level of self awareness in contrast to folks getting angry at the mention of sexuality.

for sure that discomfort is comming from me, but aside from my personal prejudice it is objectively harder to explain.
    hypothetically, if i had a kid, i'd sure hope (s)he was hetro sexual. This may sound awefull, but it's just easier if a kid is "normal". It would also totally be fine if my kid was a little different, i'd still love him/her and support him/her in whatever (s)he wants to do with his/her life. To put that in perspective and to not come across as a kitten, i also don't want my hypothetical kid to have an IQ on par with Einstein for example.
    To go full circle; The imitation game is an awesome movie.
    Post edited by Ambassador on
  • SnakesOnAPlane
    4363 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

for sure that discomfort is comming from me, but aside from my personal prejudice it is objectively harder to explain.
    hypothetically, if i had a kid, i'd sure hope (s)he was hetro sexual. This may sound awefull, but it's just easier if a kid is "normal". It would also totally be fine if my kid was a little different, i'd still love him/her and support him/her in whatever (s)he wants to do with his/her life. To put that in perspective and to not come across as a ****, i also don't want my hypothetical kid to have an IQ on par with Einstein for example.

I appreciate your honesty about being intolerant to those different than you. “Normal”? What’s next, hoping your grandkid wasn’t mixed race?

SnakesOnAPlane
  • Options
    He has seen the prequel trilogy and doesn't like the Anakin & Padme scenes and usually loses interest for a few minutes.

Just like the rest of us. LOL! If Padme is ever added to SWGoH, I hope the floating pear is part of her kit.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

hypothetically, if i had a kid, i'd sure hope (s)he was hetro sexual. This may sound awefull, but it's just easier if a kid is "normal". It would also totally be fine if my kid was a little different, i'd still love him/her and support him/her in whatever (s)he wants to do with his/her life. To put that in perspective and to not come across as a ****, i also don't want my hypothetical kid to have an IQ on par with Einstein for example.

I appreciate your honesty, but **** if you aren’t predjudice. “Normal”? What’s next, hoping your grandkid wasn’t mixed race?

Normal, as in most common. Life gets alot more complicated if you're LGBT, for various reasons.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

I appreciate your honesty about being intolerant to those different than you. “Normal”? What’s next, hoping your grandkid wasn’t mixed race?

Intolerant how exactly? i'm curious what i said that made you conclude that i was intolerant to those different than myself.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options

Truth be told, i much prefer to explain anakin and padme's relation than chirrut and baze's relation to a 5yo.

Why?

Shouldn't matter when explaining to a 5 year old.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options

I appreciate your honesty, but **** if you aren’t predjudice. “Normal”? What’s next, hoping your grandkid wasn’t mixed race?

Normal, as in most common. Life gets alot more complicated if you're LGBT, for various reasons.

I have 4 kids. The 5 yr old is my youngest. At one point or another, they have all come home from school deeply hurt by something that another kid at school said or did to them. Its part of growing up and has to happen to everyone. Kids can and will be cruel to each other. This alone is why I always hoped that all of my kids were straight.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Your hope is irrelevant, since they're gonna be straight or gay regardless of what you want for either them or yourself. And it will be part of who they are, so you'll love them either way.

Hopefully.

EDIT: Since it wasn't clear, I am not implying Hannibal_Bexus would not love his/her kids in such a case.
    Post edited by TVF on
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    On the other hand...
    I would like to see a Star Wars TV series that targets an older crowd. Kinda like Deadpool did outside of the X-Men main series. Then, throw in all the LGBT characters you want.
    As for the game (i never specified), throw 'em in, I don't care. My 5 yr old doesn't have a cell phone yet.
  • Options
    I don't recall any LGBT toons in Cannon, I believe the first one is either coming out (no pun intended) in esp 8 or the solo movie next year (I know for a fact the solo movie will have the first female Droid in Cannon). Once the movie is released if they pick up a blaster or are involved in a fight we might see them here potentially
  • Options
    Star-Wars-Last-Jedi-Cast-Justin-Theroux-Important.jpg
    There was a rumor at one point that this guy's character was going to be gay. Not sure, haven't seen the movie yet.
  • Options
    I don't recall any LGBT toons in Cannon, I believe the first one is either coming out (no pun intended) in esp 8 or the solo movie next year (I know for a fact the solo movie will have the first female Droid in Cannon). Once the movie is released if they pick up a blaster or are involved in a fight we might see them here potentially

There are at least 3 that are part of the Canon from the books:
    Moff Delian Mors - Lords of the Sith
    Sinjir Rath Velus - Aftermath Series
    Conder Kyl - Aftermath Series

• Options
    jhbuchholz wrote: »

The expanded universe is now legendary and no longer Cannon since Disney bought it, but they have been bringing bits and pieces back slowly.
  • Options

The expanded universe is now legendary and no longer Cannon since Disney bought it, but they have been bringing bits and pieces back slowly.

These all show up as canon here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_books
    And they were all written after Disney bought Lucasfilm in 2012. Lords of the Sith was in 2015 and the Aftermath series in 2015, 2016, and 2017.

Am I missing something that makes them non-canon?
  • Options

Aftermath series is cannon. I forgot about those. Sinjir Rath Velus was a good character.
  • Options

These all show up as canon here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_books
    And they were all written after Disney bought Lucasfilm in 2012. Lords of the Sith was in 2015 and the Aftermath series in 2015, 2016, and 2017.

Am I missing something that makes them non-canon?

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/04/25/lucasfilm-declares-nearly-the-entire-star-wars-expanded-universe-is-non-canon/
This discussion has been closed.