Need a little newbie help here

Replies

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    amaze122 wrote: »
    What actually happened was I got tired of waiting and just went ahead and upgraded somebody else; sorry I did not mention that...

On another note though, why does everyone think this is such a bad character? Not powerful enough? Not good looking? Heheheh

When you took that latter picture it said you had 2, so at that time you could upgrade the ability on somebody who only needed 2 of them, but you couldn't upgrade Geonosian Soldier's ability because he needed 3 of them and you didn't have 3. Don't just go around upgrading anything you can - make a priority order, figure out what you need, and farm it or wait until you have everything you need for the character you are working on. The same thing is going to happen with gear. You will need multiple pieces combined to make one piece for somebody, but if you go and spend the pieces you have on the characters that can equip just those pieces, you will never collect enough to make the gear that requires multiple different types of pieces.

Geonosian soldier isn't a bad character in and of himself, but the issue is that in the long run, you need teams that have good synergy working together. These are characters that benefit from being on a team together more than just throwing any random characters together. Phoenix is a good example, because with Hera's leader ability they are all able to share each other's unique abilities, making them all a lot stronger. Geonosian soldier doesn't really have synergy with anybody. Maybe someday we will get some more geonosians and a rework, but for now it's pretty much a forgotten faction.
  • amaze122 wrote: »
    What actually happened was I got tired of waiting and just went ahead and upgraded somebody else; sorry I did not mention that...

So you allocated ability mats to someone else.
    On another note though, why does everyone think this is such a bad character? Not powerful enough? Not good looking? Heheheh

Let's compare Geonosian with a character that is built very similarly in terms of abilities. Both characters have a basic attack and a special that calls assist.

There are 4 types of abilities. Your basic attack. Your special attack (many characters have two specials). Your leader ability. Your unique ability (some characters have none, some have one some have two).

Looking at Geonosian soldier he has a basic with a chance of offense up, one special (that rates him down for me), half his unique ability is boosting other Geonosians (there are none that are great), the other half boosts his turn meter when he scores a critical hit but he doesn't get any useful boosts to his critical chance.

Then for Biggs Darklighter. He has a basic with a chance of critical chance up, if he Crits an ally gets critical damage up. His special calls two assists (wedge and another) and all 3 get a boosted chance of a critical hit. His unique gives him double the turn meter boost that Geonosian soldier gets when he is hit by a critical hit or by any empire ally. It is much more likely to happen than Geonosian soldiers unique. Wedge Antilles's unique is shared with Biggs Darklighter if both are present. This is a hefty boost in speed and offense. Finally a lot of leaders give a bonus for rebel allies (Wedge, CLS, AA, Lando, Leia etc). There is only Poggle the Lesser that gices bonuses for Geonosian allies that I know of.

So Geonosian soldier has a character that directly compares with him that is similar to him but slightly better when he is on his own but that fits incredibly better with other characters.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Liath I get what you are saying about putting good teams together; that is what I am doing. It just seems as though everyone is stuck on just one or two sets of teams! Why does it have to be Only Hera, and the Phoenix team, or Only Ackbar and the Rebels, or Only R2D2, Thrawn, and Skywalker together, etc.? Soon everyone will just have the same few teams! What would that look like in an arena fight, you are facing a group of the exact same people as you have? :smile:

From "borrowing a hero" I put together many unique combinations that IMHO worked Very well together, though they seemed very odd, with Genosian Soldier, (or Geno) as I called him, being a good fit.

I think that someone who has played this as long as you and some of the other "veterans" probably all have a unique perspective, probably forged during the time that you spent just like me, learning, having fun, and making Lots of mistakes, that you don't see the need for anyone new to have to repeat.

I guess I will just have to split it all down the middle and do a little of both, experiment, but keep my eye on the larger picture and longtime goal when it comes to actually committing to a final path.

By the way, I get what you all are saying about how factions actually determine the most progressive path in this game, I just think that it is a shame that in the end it all just comes down to a few restrictive and unyielding formulas.

Funny thing is, this is my first four days playing, LoL Next week I will probably look back and this and say, "Lord, what an **** I was. Those folks were exactly right, let me hurry up and join this Phoenix team and find this Hera character quick!" :smiley:
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Liath I get what you are saying about putting good teams together; that is what I am doing. It just seems as though everyone is stuck on just one or two sets of teams! Why does it have to be Only Hera, and the Phoenix team, or Only Ackbar and the Rebels, or Only R2D2, Thrawn, and Skywalker together, etc.? Soon everyone will just have the same few teams! What would that look like in an arena fight, you are facing a group of the exact same people as you have? :smile:

Yes, this is exactly what happens. It's referred to as the "meta" and occurs because some teams are just more effective than others. You are of course perfectly welcome to play whatever teams you want, but then you have to accept that you may have a rougher road than those who follow the advice given. When you come here asking for advice, people are going to advise you on what the most effective teams are. If you want to just have fun throwing together whatever, then you don't really need any advice for that.

Also keep in mind that in addition to team synergy, certain factions are important for being able to complete certain events. You need scoundrels in order to do the credit heists, which are essential to getting a decent number of credits to improve your characters. If you ever want to have Thrawn, you are going to have to farm Phoenix, because they are required to get him. Crit damage set mods are important, and you need Jawas to farm those. So another factor that is used in advising new players on who to farm and work on is how useful those characters will be in completing other areas of the game. Geonosians aren't required for anything that has been released so far - maybe they will be soon.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    From "borrowing a hero" I put together many unique combinations that IMHO worked Very well together, though they seemed very odd, with Genosian Soldier, (or Geno) as I called him, being a good fit.

How many borrow a hero did you borrow a hero at your strength level. It's very easy to pull in someone with 10k power that makes your team look good because you are borrowing a level 70 6 star character into your level 40 team with 4 stars.

Just be careful you are not giving yourself a false impression by borrowing characters.
  • Thanks Liath and thanks Naraic for all the great advice; I don't deserve you both. I just hope you can stick it out with me until I come to my senses, or I will probably be lost otherwise! :smiley:
  • Well this is frustrating. I haven't had any energy for Hours, neither regular or Cantina and the GW restarts in nine hours. I can do nothing except Arena fighting, which earns nothing but rank!

All challenges and events were completed this morning, just spent all day waiting for the odd scrap of energy to accumulate, usually enough for only a couple of fights. And that Raid that my Guild started on before I joined Still has days to complete...

Jeez, I might as well turn in, I hope tomorrow is better.
    By the way, I get what you all are saying about how factions actually determine the most progressive path in this game, I just think that it is a shame that in the end it all just comes down to a few restrictive and unyielding formulas.

Funny thing is, this is my first four days playing, LoL Next week I will probably look back and this and say, "Lord, what an **** I was. Those folks were exactly right, let me hurry up and join this Phoenix team and find this Hera character quick!" :smiley:

The meta will always be like that, but on the other hand, this is a game - and games are meant to be fun. Sure, there is probably a "best" way to navigate through it so that you have a powerful roster full of the "best" characters for the endgame content, but on the other hand, there's a lot to be said for collecting the toons you like and building different teams to learn their strengths, synergies and weaknesses. Heck, back when I started playing, I ran a Jedi team up until I was about level 75-80 (this was before the level cap increased to 85) just because I liked the look of all those tiny lightsabers flashing around on my screen. Jedi are generally weak as a faction though, so I didn't do as well as I could have, but at least I had fun doing it. Knowing what I do now, I'd definitely put together a scoundrel team for doing credit heists, and I'd farm the Phoenix team because they have great synergy together and they're viable in almost every area of the game.

I remember facing Geonosian Soldier when I started, and his assists drove me crazy. Same with Qui-Gon Jinn and Captain Phasma. The thing is, if you play this game long enough, you'll eventually get everyone collected and geared up, and then you'll look back on it all and wonder why you put so many credits or pieces of gear into certain characters because you never use them anymore. In the case of your "Geno" toon, the Geonosians (and Separatists in general) have been overdue for a faction pass, so they may be getting some new abilities and/or characters in the coming months, and when that hapoens, maybe you'll be happy that you already put the time into leveling him. The Nightsisters were a weak faction, but after this last faction pass for them introduced some powerful new toons, now all of a sudden they are more than arena-viable. Same thing could happen with the Geonisians, Jedi, Bounty Hunters, Tuskens, etc.

But no matter what, just keep having fun with it! I like reading this thread to see how you are doing, and at the rate you're going, it probably won't be too much longer before you're a grizzled veteran giving advice of your own. :)

• Fauztin
    1332 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    @amaze122

Hey! I love your enthusiasm, and it's great to see the kind of support you're getting from other members here on the forum. I know it must all be very exciting, learning about the different aspects of the game and utilizing the strategies available. The only thing I'd like to ask is that you try to be mindful about multi-posting* in threads. We discourage it in other cases due to spam issues, and while this isn't the same scenario, we do try to keep it as a consistent standard. I myself have gotten carried away in the past, treating threads like chat-boxes hahaha.

It seems like you're getting a great feel for the game and it's awesome to see you active on the forum. I look forward to seeing your progress as more events are released!

*Multi-posting: Making multiple posts back-to-back in a row without replies from other users in between your posts. One way to avoid this is editing your last post and adding any additional text you wish to include in the thread. For example:

"Hey, do you guys know where the button is to make a squad?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it, thanks!"
    "I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar." ~ Hoban Washburne
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Kivrin thank you for your words of wisdom, and thanks for watching my progress. One thing that I was going to announce was that I have reached the 100's in arena rank and should be well into the double digits by tomorrow!

I have a great team, Kylo Ren, with his cross-shaped lightsaber, like the one that Anakin used in Revenge of the Sith is my heavy artillery, able to kill most with one blow. Then the Jedi Consular is my healer. Count Dooku is my other heavy hitter, with his incredible lightning blast, and Talia then is my backup healer who also packs a very hard attack.The Red Guard is yet a third healer who, once I Ever get to level 46 and upgrade (I am level 41 now), will also have a devastating attack.

Fauztin I will try to comply but what is the minimum length acceptable in a post? At least four sentences?
    I guess I will just have to split it all down the middle and do a little of both, experiment, but keep my eye on the larger picture and longtime goal when it comes to actually committing to a final path.

Sensible words.

The key to the game and the dilemma at the heart of it - be single-minded yet, at the same time, allow yourself a certain amount of flexibility. It's really tough. But it's why we love it.

• Anakin_Skywalker
    1801 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Hey check this website:
    https://hydra314.github.io/SWGOH_ranking_table/ranking_tables/rankingtable.html

It's a subjective ranking table of almost all characters in game. (I believe Jedi Training Rey is the only one that hasn't been included on the list yet.)

However this table fairly well shows what character is good and what is not. Hope it helps

And in case you are interested in getting legendary characters, the best squad to start with is Phoenix. It's a faction. You can see the category in your inventory. Among categories like, attacker, tank, rebel, fleet commander,...etc is a category called Phoenix. Farm 5 of them, and you must include Hera Syndulla, she is the only leader.

When you get 5 5* Phoenix members, you can play two legendary events called "Emperor's demise" and "Artist of War"
    When you successfully do those events, you earn Emperor Palpatine and Grand Admiral Thrawn, respectively. They will be unlocked at 5*. If you want to upgrade them to 6*or 7*, you need to upgrade your Phoenix members. All 5 of them to 6*, then you qualify for new tier of the two events, which gives additional 85 shards of each legendary characters (Emperor Palpatine and Grand Admiral Thrawn), and you can upgrade them to 6*.
    For 7* legendary characters you need 5 Phoenix upgraded to 7*. Again all 5 of them.

For R2D2, you need to complete 'Daring Droid' event which requires 5 'Empire' characters. Thrawn and Emperor also fall into that group. Again all 5 Empire characters to 5* to unlock 5* R2-D2, all 5 Empires to 6* to upgrade R2-D2 to 6*, all 5 Empires to 7* to upgrade R2-D2 to 7*. Any Empire characters will be allowed for the event, but I recommend not to use Magmatrooper. Because he is very very bad for clearing 'Daring Droid' event.

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Well this is frustrating. I haven't had any energy for Hours, neither regular or Cantina and the GW restarts in nine hours. I can do nothing except Arena fighting, which earns nothing but rank!

All challenges and events were completed this morning, just spent all day waiting for the odd scrap of energy to accumulate, usually enough for only a couple of fights. And that Raid that my Guild started on before I joined Still has days to complete...

Jeez, I might as well turn in, I hope tomorrow is better.

Seriously, your guild is bad. If it's taking them a week to finish a tier 2 raid, this is not a guild you want to be in. There's a guild recruitment forum here, check it out and find a good guild.

Yes, this is not the type of game that you can play continuously. You run out of things you can do in a day fairly quickly. Later on there will be more things to do that you don't have access to now (territory battles and territory wars - assuming you get in a better guild that is), but they still won't occupy you all day long.
  • Liath wrote: »
    Yes, this is not the type of game that you can play continuously. You run out of things you can do in a day fairly quickly.

This is good.

If you have a wife/husband.

Or a job.

Or kids lol.

• Liath wrote: »
    Yes, this is not the type of game that you can play continuously. You run out of things you can do in a day fairly quickly.

This is good.

If you have a wife/husband.

Or a job.

Or kids lol.

Lol i think he meant quite the opposite tho. I think he meant "Daily activities/farmings are done quick. You can't play battles all day long because you run out of enegies and crystals. Plus later on there will be some some extra TW/TB but thay won't take too long either."
  • No wife or kids just me, and retired, so plenty of time. Anakin I am going to check out all that stuff immediately.

For an update, my squad arena rank is now 78, and I have a Grand Moff Tarkin character, Gear level III, 4*, level 42!

My first GW was underwhelming as far as loot, but the challenges (there were six in all, they just suddenly appeared, with no forewarning) were...niiice, especially the Ability Mats!

The raid just finished and the new one is ready apparently, but I clicked on Tier II's select button and nothing is happening, so... I am about to start questioning some folks to see what the deal is...
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Someone needs to launch the raid and it needs to be a guild leader or officer who does so.

There's challenges every day. All on Sunday.

The loot from galactic war is the ability to farm 15 shards of a character every day.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Liath I hate to just up and leave the Guild; for three days straight it shows that I have been their top contributor, along with 600 Raid tickets a day on my part. It just seems like desertion, you know? But yeah I guess I will just do this one raid, (since it “apparently” is about to start any moment), and then afterward slip into the night :smile:

Naraic I just did three more GW battle to test your shard statement and got only MK's, a green emerald, training bots, 5 crystals, and some cash, no shards yet.

My Grand Moff Tarkin character is now gear level V, power 2016, but I have not had a chance to use him yet, only just now got home (I, unfortunately, have Dialysis three times a week, Mon. Wed. Fri. for 4 1/2 hrs :blush: ) and only had time to upgrade him, but not play him.

Is Tarkin a good/great character?

Post edited by amaze122 on
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Tarkin is a fleet commander (good later for ships there are only 3 and you use all 3 for different challenges) and can fit well if you are building a empire team.

What I meant about shards is if you complete a full galactic war (12 nodes) you get 1200 galactic war store currency (the green gems). This currency can be used in the galactic war store to buy shards at a rate of 5 shards for 400 galactic war gems.
  • This is by far the greatest thread of all time
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Naraic, okay I see the benefit of GW now, thanks.

I finally got to play the Tarkin character, and like you said before, he plays better as a "borrow a hero character", all maxed out. What I am most intrigued by though, is his "ultimate Firepower" attack where it looks as though he is calling in an airstrike. It enables him to attack All the enemy and not just one at a time.

This is the ability that I use to win so many battles using Kylo Ren, his "Lash Out" ability takes health off of five to six enemy at a time, making the job easier for others to mop up. I tested this in the Arena, and when I did not use this ability as much in the fight, I lost.

By the way, I have only lost 4 fights so far in the arena, and 1 was my own fault for not being focused, the other was the "test" that I mentioned above, and the other two I was fighting someone with characters that were Awesome, I wish I had paid more attention, because I should Definitely look into acquiring those! But, alas I was too busy fighting to survive to think about that until it was all over and they were mopping up my squad's blood...
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Area of effect attacks can be awesome but you have to be careful you don't use it to much against a counter attack heavy squad.

For example Phoenix with Kanan destroys area of effect teams.

Ultimate firepower is a weak area of effect attack but it has a side effect that it has a chance of removing turn meter from all the opposition. This means if tarkin goes first and uses ultimate firepower some of the other team will be slowed down and everyone gets to go before them.

I have used mods (wait til level 50) to make tarkin go first on my team, used intimidation tactics (If it's level 4 and the opponents are rebels you get 100% turn meter back) then used ultimate fire power slowed someone down then everyone attack that guy and before he gets to make a single attack he is dead.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    I am not sure that I understand the concept of turn meter, which I think you once said determines who attacks first and how often. I understand turn-based combat, so I thought that order of attack was determined by a random throw.

I was thinking that turn meter was a fancy phrase meaning a throw of the dice to determine a characters turn order.

Then I went to this site (http://gaming-fans.com/2017/03/swgoh-look-speed-turn-meter-gain-turn-order-manipulation/) and learned that turn order seems to be based on the speed of characters, thereby enabling manipulation of enemy characters by using a TM buff at the right time in order to slow them down, if I understood it correctly.

Which is to say that I Still only have an Idea of what is going on, and so will just have to learn as I go, while referring back to your explanation above and this site's guide as it becomes clearer to me.

By the way, Naraic, this game seems to employ so many high-level algorithms and concepts; do you have to be a major level math genius to excel at it? :neutral:
  • Okay, so I just started my Guild's raid.

Before the Raid there had been three categories to choose from, Tier I, II, and III. But when the Raid started it put me automatically in Tier III. My characters were chewed up, the whole thing took 5 minutes to wipe out 18 characters, WTH!?
    Okay, so I just started my Guild's raid.

Before the Raid there had been three categories to choose from, Tier I, II, and III. But when the Raid started it put me automatically in Tier III. My characters were chewed up, the whole thing took 5 minutes to wipe out 18 characters, WTH!?

Guild leaders are the only ones that can start raids. When the start a raid they pick what tier. They picked tier 3. You would have to ask them in chat about lowering the tier next time. It's up to them which one is done.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    I am a level 42, my first thirteen characters are over a 1,000 power level, my first five characters gear level 6, my next three gear level 5, and all the rest mostly 4's. My ranking in the squad arena so far is 87; I have only lost 4 fights.

And yet my actual Raid fighting experience today probably was more along the lines of three minutes; sometimes a creature just walked up to a character of mine with Full Health and Destroyed him!

In your experience with Raids (this is my first), does it look as though I was placed in the correct tier?

• TVF
    36489 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Geo Soldier is useful because he has a decent ship. His ship is an easy farm, he's an easy farm, and from what I remember he's pretty easy to gear pretty high, which also helps his ship.

His ship is slow, but if you can bring him in off the bench to hit a target locked ship with his special and associated assist, it generally goes "boom."

Also he packs a decent punch himself at the early stages of the game. But you won't have any use for him beyond his ship later on.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Lol, I am looking at your post and it is from yesterday, but from a topic last discussed several subjects ago, around December 30th, when I pretty much decided to give up on ol' Geo. But your info about him is welcome.

I have four ships, and though I am only level 42 now, and can't utilize them, once I am level 60 I will try your advice out.
  • Okay, I have this Raid stuff figured out now; you don't ever win, like in GW, you just keep fighting, and your effort contributes to the whole, and at the end, you are rewarded accordingly. Or so I guess, 'cause nobody is explaining jack over there! They said that guilds were full of helpful people, but this one aint it, LoL
  • Lol i think he meant quite the opposite tho. I think he meant "Daily activities/farmings are done quick. You can't play battles all day long because you run out of enegies and crystals. Plus later on there will be some some extra TW/TB but thay won't take too long either."

Huh. Guy must not have a job, or a wife, or kids then...how can anyone actually be that lucky?

:wink:
    Liath I hate to just up and leave the Guild; for three days straight it shows that I have been their top contributor...

You're Level 42 and you're your Guild's top contributor? Something very wrong there...please- join a new guild. Nothing will happen in yours.