Dev Blog - Character Release and Event Cadence - 3/30/2018 [MEGA]

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    valeo25 wrote: »
    SithAmer wrote: »
    However, I have a serious concern on the arena, cantina, GW, fleet shops not getting updated with new toons or ships or gear. What is the point of having these shops for established players if we can't farm any good or new toons from there. Also, it sounds pretty lame that ALL these shop currencies are meant to be fodder for shard shop. Why @CG_TopHat? Can you please provide a reasonable explanation for this decision?

They did answer. They want those shops to be farming locations for new players and fuel shard shop currency for elder players (which I am fine with, thats what I was doing already anyway). Just because you don't like their explanation for it doesn't automatically make it unreasonable.

@SithAmer this^^

He also made a statement that they would be updating the shardshop.
  • Options
    I don't like the decision to no further update the cantina and galactic war store. And I don't understand the motivation for that move tbh.
    Ally code 428-543-243
  • dad2my3
    1561 posts Member
    Options
    Guild event currency will be going to Yoda and Wampa shards for most of 2018. Fleet currency will be going to zetas forever. Those are two horrible places to expect players to get other character shards.
  • Roahn
    231 posts Member
    Options
    Thiff wrote: »
    Roahn wrote: »
    . Also each mission should require certain 7* toons to play so as to keep someone who just started playing from being able to get a marquee toon without at least putting in the time. That would reward long time players and give new player something to work towards.

This would also mean "no money from low lvl whales that want to 7* this toon".
    You guys realy dont understand that this is their job? That they need to make money?
    CG is not a charity foundation.

You did read that they already mentioned that they are going to move marquee toons to either lightside/darkside missions, cantina missions, guild store or guild event store according to the toon cadence release. Which guild store and guild event store require no money and the missions you can just spend Crystal to refresh hard mission nodes or more cantina energy and still someone might not spend any cash for Crystal if they are patient. I never mentioned anything about stopping any means of the game earning money for a toon. My suggestion is to try and make GW relevant again the for long players.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Starhammer wrote: »
    To me, this reads very much as "We consider these particular game modes to be dead as Latin, and no longer have any faith in at least part of our game. Watch for developers to be reorganized or assigned to other projects as we prepare for that marvelous new competitor to steal our whales and undercut out acceptable profit margins. DOOM™"

I think you could do better than to abandon older game modes, whether by revamping them, or at least presenting in a more positive manner.

How often do you go back and do Light Side (Normal) table 4 content? Or do T1 challenges? At a certain point everyone is going to outgrow certain content. Running out of characters to buy in three stores is a part of that process. It took me nearly two years, which is an incredibly healthy timeframe considering most mobile games have a short player lifespan.

Folks are saying this is a cash grab, but if anything this is leaving money on the table. Characters are flashy, but ask yourself this: How many times have you spent money on a character? Now how many times have you spent money on gear? Whether directly, ie from Shipments with crystals, or indirectly, ie refreshes so you could farm more in one day. I have all but four characters activated (Probe Droid, Wompa (WOMPA!), Darth Traya, and oddly enough Anakin) and I'd estimate I spent about $100 total in two years on packs. On the other hand, I currently need 41 mk5 Stun Guns for my characters--and that's not counting the ones who are g6 or g7 or will need another one when they hit g10 or those hellish mk6 Stun Guns--which is a much, much larger incentive to spend money.

By giving us more sources to get gear that don't cost money (ie shard shop) instead of more characters THAT WOULD THEN NEED EVEN MORE GEAR, they're basically giving money away!

This is GOOD for people who don't spend money.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

I must have missed this, do you have a link to where it was said? Not that I don't believe you! I just want to see if there was any more information about the shard shop update so I could plan accordingly.
  • Globuhl
    751 posts Member
    Options
    Ikky2win wrote: »
    Globuhl wrote: »
    People (angry): "Character release is a mess!"
    CG (poker face): "This mess is now our official character release scheme"
    People (extatic): "Awesome !"

Nothing has changed guys...

It absolutely has changed.

1. Certain reoccurring events will now be out on the calendar, as evidenced by thrawn and chimaera being out on the April calendar.

2. Characters offered through a marquee event will ALWAYS follow the same cadence now and characters like Talzin and Wicket that didn’t follow the cadence will now be farmable.

3. Legendary, mythic, and heroes journey now have “new” or “legacy” designations.

Those are just a few of the changes. All for the positive. Every single one of those changes helps the player base. Not trying to be a fan boy here or anything. I criticize when criticism is warranted, but at the same time it’s only fair to acknowledge when they do make favorable changes.
    1. Not a change. The Master Yoda and Palpatine events used to be mentioned in the event calendar. It’s just a return to norm.
    2. Talzin and Wicket were exceptions with dedicated events. They just turned them to marquee. Back to the norm, nothing more and not a change either because it only affects those characters not the character release as a whole.
    3. Come on... It’s just wording...

Nothing has changed, except we will be even more submitted to rng with characters only released to hard nodes or shops where the character selection is rng based. All this only make us more exposed to panic farming. Have you noticed how Swgoh became the second engrossing app on the stores during the last jTR and CLS events? If you haven’t, rest assured that CG did. Panic farm is the new normal.
  • Options
    So 4 stores are now dead? That's how you're handling end game players, by giving them less to work toward/get excited about completing?

I thought the point of the game was to have an abundance of choices and then manage your resources based on goals you set. Am I wrong in believing that?

Sharding characters just for currency FEELS CRAPPY because it means you aren't earning anything toward a character you don't have, especially when the gear choices in the shard shop are so limited.

It really feels like your taking away a big part of the game here, CG, so I hope you reconsider. I'm very passionate about this game, but your current direction is on a fast track to losing my interest.
  • Ely
    161 posts Member
    Options
    I really hope the players here are not believing that nothing else will be added to stores. Do you have any idea how many times they have told us they won't do something and 2 weeks later did it anyway?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Starhammer wrote: »
    So, generally I approve of most of this. Marqee events work pretty well, though I would love to see Marqees get a replay every year or so, to help newer players build up their roster with what may otherwise be hard to get characters, or give older players who may have stepped away for a while a refresher tutorial on these characters.

Likewise with Legendaries, Mythics, Hero's Journeys, and event calendar... all great stuff there.

There is something I really, really don't like:
    CG_TopHat wrote: »
    As per the recent Q&A we are no longer adding characters to the Galactic War Store, Cantina Store, Fleet Arena Store, or Arena Store. Our intention here is that once these stores are exhausted, they are intended to be a source of shard shop currency for our very well established players.

To me, this reads very much as "We consider these particular game modes to be dead as Latin, and no longer have any faith in at least part of our game. Watch for developers to be reorganized or assigned to other projects as we prepare for that marvelous new competitor to steal our whales and undercut out acceptable profit margins. DOOM™"

I think you could do better than to abandon older game modes, whether by revamping them, or at least presenting in a more positive manner.

Furthermore, as for placement of character shard opportunities, I would suggest that many of the "nameless" characters could have their shard farms moved to standard mode light/dark side battles, in order to make room for newer named characters to be placed in Hard Mode reward slots.

At what point are fleet arena and arena game modes dead?

Specifically giving new players fixed things to farm and worry about and giving old players a place to reliably get shard shop currency without hoarding because we know we don't need to get a new toon from there. Then on top of that saying they will also be looking at improvements to the shard shop gear..... yeah sounds like a well thought out plan for doom. Gotcha.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »

I must have missed this, do you have a link to where it was said? Not that I don't believe you! I just want to see if there was any more information about the shard shop update so I could plan accordingly.

@NicWester

MBPQOPL.jpg

No worries, it's hard to keep up with all the information, especially in times like this.
  • Options
    Every one of the blogs has been a riff of the same theme: "We hear your concerns, but it's our game and we'll do what we want." I guess it's easy to lose touch with your base when you cash big checks.

Also, Kyno, I think it's extremely dishonest of you to make posts in threads like these in defense of CG like you're speaking as a player without anything acknowledging that you're a forum admin.
  • Options
    Ok guys so assuming the 'three-four month' expectation is legit, expect JTR to return in June or July. Probably safer to be ready by june just in case
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited March 2018
    Options
    AkshnJ wrote: »
    Every one of the blogs has been a riff of the same theme: "We hear your concerns, but it's our game and we'll do what we want." I guess it's easy to lose touch with your base when you cash big checks.

Also, Kyno, I think it's extremely dishonest of you to make posts in threads like these in defense of CG like you're speaking as a player without anything acknowledging that you're a forum admin.

@AkshnJ hi. I am a 2+ year player. I have been volunteering as a mod for the forum for a few months now.

I know all too well many of the trials and tribulations of playing this game and dealing with the flow of information on the forum.

People have spend a lot of time asking for transparency and I feel that is what the dev team is trying to offer. No they are not just giving everyone what they want, but they are explaining their positions and trying to make a clear path of how we the players can expect things to be in the foreseeable future. The community will always want more, but this is an effort by the dev team to be transparent and set up some "scheduling" that we can all see and work with.

You will notice in my response to your statements that I made no comments about your character, I would appreciate the same respect in the future.

I also do not think I am defending anyone, I don't see them as making actions that need to be defended. I am simply sharing perspective and information that we have as a community.
  • Options
    Well I learned a new word. Cadence = the rhythm and frequency of releasing software. Thanx ea for that at least.
  • Options
    Thank you very much, I appreciate the clarification and transparency a lot and I am looking forward to and updated shard shop eventually.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options

MBPQOPL.jpg

No worries, it's hard to keep up with all the information, especially in times like this.

Thanks!

Sounds like they're just going to make more stuff more readily available. I'll just keep buying as normal for now, then!
  • Options

@AkshnJ hi. I am a 2+ year player. I have been volunteering as a mod for the forum for a few months now.

I know all too well many of the trials and tribulations of playing this game and dealing with the flow of information on the forum.

People have spend a lot of time asking for transparency and I feel that is what the dev team is trying to offer. No they are not just giving everyone what they want, but they are explaining their positions and trying to make a clear path of how we the players can expect things to be in the foreseeable future. The community will always want more, but this is an effort by the dev team to be transparent and set up some "scheduling" that we can all see and work with.

You will notice in my response to your statements that I made no comments about your character, I would appreciate the same respect in the future.

I also do not think I am defending anyone, I don't see them as making actions that need to be defended. I am simply sharing perspective and information that we have as a community.

All I'm saying is that a little flag or title by your name indicating your relationship to CG would go a ways toward letting everyone know that, while it may be small, you still have a vested interest in maintaining CG's external face. I know who you are, but a new player just coming to the forums may not.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

All I'm saying is that a little flag or title by your name indicating your relationship to CG would go a ways toward letting everyone know that, while it may be small, you still have a vested interest in maintaining CG's external face. I know who you are, but a new player just coming to the forums may not.

I have no more a vested interest in what happens on the forum than any other player. I do this to try and help the community. I also have no control over the appearance on mobile, if you are on the full site, it very clearly states I am a mod, this would also be present if anyone looked at my profile.

You can look at my profile and comments, my perspective is no different than it was when I was not a mod, I tried then to share information and make sure people had as much of what is out there as possible and do my best to further and share my knowledge of the game and its mechanics. Me being a mod has caused me to do more background work on the forum and in those cases it's very clear my position on the forum, but when I share information or try to help someone understand a different prospective on a subject I do that for the community not for CG, so I see no need to identify anything more than it already is on the forum.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options

Volunteer mods have no vested interest. Anyone can do it—hell, they even asked me to be a mod...

Being a mod is work without any reward whatsoever. They have the opposite of a vested interest—if they get kicked out of the mod role they get to go back to being a regular person on this board.
  • Options
    Leave Kyno alone!

giphy.gif

Jokes aside, I don't see why they wouldn't add a new character to the closed off store every 4-6 months just to keep things interesting. Eh, something for the future, I suppose.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Leave Kyno alone!

giphy.gif

Jokes aside, I don't see why they wouldn't add a new character to the closed off store every 4-6 months just to keep things interesting. Eh, something for the future, I suppose.

:smile:

I keep a base of 16k tokens in those stores so I'm happy to burn that down without having to worry about anyone being added.

And yes, no saying what changes they will make in the future.
  • Options
    I have a question, now there's Visas Marr and Darth Sion, Darth Traya, etc. from the Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic II, is it possible to also introducing the Last Handmaiden (Brianna) and among some other characters? Thanks~~
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

MBPQOPL.jpg

Thanks!

Sounds like they're just going to make more stuff more readily available. I'll just keep buying as normal for now, then!

Exactly. And phrases like "over time" and "changes will be made as the game changes" are all even more nebulous then "soon". Which really just means "this is the system...until we decide to change it...again." :D

So yeah, I agree, just continue as normal.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

MBPQOPL.jpg

Thanks!

Exactly. And phrases like "over time" and "changes will be made as the game changes" are all even more nebulous then "soon". Which really just means "this is the system...until we decide to change it...again." :D

So yeah, I agree, just continue as normal.

Well, to be clear, I think it'll be an upgrade. What I'm expecting is that they add more slots so that you'll see more consistency in what's available. I don't expect the pricing or quantity of items per slot to change. Obviously I could be wrong and they could do whatever, but that's my expectation.

So I'm going to just keep buying gear out of there as normal if I need it. What I need won't change, just how easy or difficult it'll be to get what I need.
  • Minired
    22 posts Member
    Options
    Thanks for listening to the forum .the communication is 100% better than it was .still room for improvement. if you keep this up and keep listening we will all ..sorry i mean most will be happy
  • Z2gop
    199 posts Member
    Options
    What about the lack of consistency to get shards for bistan ship ?
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    Z2gop wrote: »

They're in the fleet store.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Z2gop wrote: »

I decided to make casians ship for thrawn chimaera exactly because a lot of people seem to think his shards are rare... I honestly would have had an easier time getting his shards than just unlocking Jyn Erso, not to mention starring her up...
    Between fleet shop and guild events shop, I could have 15 of his shards per day.
  • Botzone1
    167 posts Member
    Options
    Thankyou @Devs for your improvements to the game. I for one read all your information and like everything you have mentioned. Now keep to your word and lets continue to enjoy this awesome game.