Ship Shard “Migration” is just a split?

Prev134
Reyspet
12 posts Member
I received the notice today that I am in the ship shard which has an aberrant number of participants and is unusually competitive. I’m sure that everyone else in the shard shared my frustration at having to deal with this since the inception of ships. It set everyone in this shard back relative to other players in the game. Other members of my guild stated that they had to play very few ship battles a day to take top ranks, and their fleets were extremely underpowered compared to the fleets that were in the 500-800 range in this aberrant shard. So despite players investing in their fleets, they could not receive the crystals, and fleet currency (leading to zetas) that everyone else was getting.
It was stated that this shard was created due to a certain algorithm, and that the result was not desired. However the inbox message says that the solution is to “migrate” our shard into new shards of “roughly the same size as a normal ship shard”. This does not address the fault of the algorithm that originated the problem. The shard is obviously made up of extremely competitive players, and splitting them into a few groups doesn’t change that at all. They should be redistributed across all shards, and not just keep competing with the same players again.
If the shard is just split into a few new shards, then the players will still be competing at a much greater than average rate, and still get way below average rewards. For instance, I currently fight to try and break into the top 500 with a fleet that is one of the best in my guild. Many of my guildmates can get top 10 with one battle per day. If the outlier ship shard is divided into 5 shards, then I might be fighting these same people to get top 100.
I’m sad that there is probably no way to make up for the months of relatively poor rewards that the average members of this shard have received, but splitting the same members up seems like a very poor solution.

Replies

• Zagrey
    54 posts Member
    Options
    what solution u have in mind ? create a hundred new shards so you all be comfortable?:)
  • Reyspet
    12 posts Member
    Options
    The solution I proposed was this part: “They should be redistributed across all shards, and not just keep competing with the same players again.”
  • Options
    As someone who is also affected by this, I completely agree. I always knew something was wrong with my ship shard compared to the rest of my guildmates. Splitting is a start. But for those of us who maxed battles every day only to MAYBE crack the top 400, this isn’t enough. My ships and crew members are competitive but not in this shard. Think of all the resources missed by finishing so low (as long as ships have been in existence). I get it that people not involved will say “get over it” and “waaaaaah waaaaah waaaaaaah.” But you have no idea how frustrating this component of the game has been. Trust me. I am formally asking asking reparations from CG beyond simply splitting the shard. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate that it’s getting fixed. But if you know it was bad enough to justify the split, imagine how the players have felt this WHOLE TIME! Thank you.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Reyspet wrote: »
    The solution I proposed was this part: “They should be redistributed across all shards, and not just keep competing with the same players again.”

Actually, it works to your advantage to compete with the same people (only fewer numbers) as many of you may already be in contact with one another. Unless, of course, you all are intent on letting CG/EA keeping crystals that could be yours. ;)
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Ploosh
    565 posts Member
    Options

Heh, my shard was initially very worried this way gonna happen, and we were gonna get some new whales to our shard. Would not have made us happy if it was on one of our busier po times.

It sucks this whole thing has to be a problem. Curious to see what the actually result of this is in a few days.
  • Options
    It is definitely a problem and clearly has been for a while.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    The issue I see with your solution is that it could force other shards over "the line" and make them outliers too and then they would need to be dealt with.

Ship shards started when ships opened are all going to be made up of more competitive players than squad shards. They are smaller and were only made of active players at the time of conception.

The situation you are being put in is very similar to someone new who started at the same time as a few whales, or older players alt accounts and gets stuck in an arena shard with them. Similar but different. But they will be stuck in that competitive shard just like you would be. It's not ideal, but it follows with the normal mode of game play.

It sucks,I'm sure.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Has there been any statement made by ea/cg as to how much more "competative" this leaderboard has been? meaning how many more players were on this particular leaderboard compared to "normal" leaderboards.
    I'm curious because that would influence my opinion on how the players should be compensated. For example if there are 20.000 players on that particular leaderboard instead of the "normal" 10.000 (just an example, i don't know how many players there are on a normal leaderboard), anyone ranking #1000 or worse isn't effected at all.
    I do sympathize with the players effected by this though, but compensation fairly is going to be rather complex.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    I’m top 20 in my arena shard and it is nearly impossible to crack top 400 in ship shard. Something ain’t right here...
  • Reyspet
    12 posts Member
    Options
    You would be correct, if the magnitude of the problem were much much smaller. Crystals? You only get crystals if you finish in the top 20. For instance my fleet power is 425k and I’m currently at rank 673. My attack window is rank 666 (432k power), rank 611 (464k), and rank 470 (497k). All of these will battle and usually still end up outside of the top 500. There is no chance of getting crystals, it is not even close.
    This is not equitable in comparison to other shards. For instance, report taking a vacation for two week and dropping to rank 41.
    We need clarification as to how many people are active in the other shards and to have the same level of competition.
  • Reyspet
    12 posts Member
    Options
    Ghost_Goh wrote: »
    I’m top 20 in my arena shard and it is nearly impossible to crack top 400 in ship shard. Something ain’t right here...

Exactly. There are 8 people in my arena shard who all happen to be in this abarent fleet shard. We all have spent the time and sometimes more money on this game to consistently get to the top of the arena ranks. We put the same effort into ships and can’t crack 500. This is not right.
  • Options
    I’m not even asking for crystals. Since ships started, daily, the number of fleet tokens and ship building materials (compounded) missed is staggering by comparison.
  • Reyspet
    12 posts Member
    Options
    Ghost_Goh wrote: »
    I’m not even asking for crystals. Since ships started, daily, the number of fleet tokens and ship building materials (compounded) missed is staggering by comparison.

This is the most important point. We are all missing out on zetas compared to everyone else.
  • Hellsteeth30
    832 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I agree, shaking everything up a bit every now and again would be good.

Sort by arena power. So everybody who has a certain amount of power is lumped in together and then after a few months, the players who rage quit (I can sympathise) or whatever get knocked back to a shard their own level.

Maybe a league system?
    Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • Ploosh
    565 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Ship shards started when ships opened are all going to be made up of more competitive players than squad shards. They are smaller and were only made of active players at the time of conception.

Is that for real? They were made of only active players at the time? So where does a player that comes back from taking over a year off go? Do they put him into a new players shard? I knew they were smaller, and most in mine had the same story, they started at launch, took 8-10 months off, came back to the game just before the launch of ships. I definitely assumed there were a bunch of inactives at the bottom of every shard, even right when they launched ships.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Ploosh wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

Is that for real? They were made of only active players at the time? So where does a player that comes back from taking over a year off go? Do they put him into a new players shard? I knew they were smaller, and most in mine had the same story, they started at launch, took 8-10 months off, came back to the game just before the launch of ships. I definitely assumed there were a bunch of inactives at the bottom of every shard, even right when they launched ships.

Yes, from my understanding, just like arena you were placed in a shard when you open the game mode for the first time. So at inception, only players playing at that time would have been placed in a shard.

So if you never opened ships because you were not playing and then you came back today you would be put in whatever open shard there is. I believe
  • Ghost_Goh
    152 posts Member
    Options
    Here’s the conservative math...

6 months @ 4 weeks per month @ 7 days per week = 168 days.

168 days @ 100 extra ship currency for finishing top 200 instead of top 500 = 16,800 extra ship currency.

16,800 ÷ 2,000 currency per mat =

8.4 zeta mats missed out on.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    If we assume you're being migrated into leaderboards that were created one day one of ships, then you'll be fine. Keep in mind that they made thousands of leaderboards that day.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Why should everyone else have to suffer because your shard is more competitive than average? Leave my shard alone, thanks.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Why should everyone else have to suffer because your shard is more competitive than average? Leave my shard alone, thanks.
    If we assume they created 1000 leaderboards when ships were launched, which might be high so let's say they created 500. But if we assume they created 500 leaderboards and have 1000 active competitive players (which is probably also high--but let's be conservative and assume high activity and low other boards) you're looking at adding 2 players per board.

No one's suffering.
  • Reyspet
    12 posts Member
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    If we assume you're being migrated into leaderboards that were created one day one of ships, then you'll be fine. Keep in mind that they made thousands of leaderboards that day.

Well that’s the issue, it seems like they are just going to split this shard in half which doesn’t solve any of the issues.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

Well that’s the issue, it seems like they are just going to split this shard in half which doesn’t solve any of the issues.

That statement makes no sense. The only "issue" was that your shard had more players than other shards. So dividing the shard resolves all of the issues that made it the outlier compared to other ship shards.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Reyspet
    12 posts Member
    Options

Adding one or two people to each shard would make little difference to that shard. What “suffering” are you going to experience? Having to compete against one or two extra individuals? I’m sure it’s nice to get top spots with no effort. When you see that there are 1,000 players in a shard that are all getting shafted, how is your reaction “I only care about the slightest inconvenience to myself, and no one else?”
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options

Keep in mind that we haven't seen the in-game message you're talking about. I can't draw any conclusions from messages I don't have. But, from what you've said, it doesn't sound like it's a straight 50/50 split into two new leaderboards. From what you've said it sounds like they're taking your current board and breaking it up into existing boards that are now normally-populated. So if the average board had 500 players (which, again, is a guess--but a slightly more educated guess. I spent 6 days straight at 321 in my board by just starting a battle and retreating instantly, so we're probably not far off) and your board has 500 players, then they're not just going to break you into two leaderboards with a population of 750 and leave all the others at 500.

It sounds like they're going to normalize you. But, again, you have to keep in mind that it's hard for us to say anything since we don't know what they told you. We only have our interpretation of your interpretation of what they told you, which is a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy.
  • Reyspet
    12 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

That statement makes no sense. The only "issue" was that your shard had more players than other shards. So dividing the shard resolves all of the issues that made it the outlier compared to other ship shards.

No. That is not the only issue. Obviously that would be a solution if it was. The makeup of the shard is the issue. They selected whales to populate this shard.

According to my guild leader: “At one point somebody looked at the top 50 and the average arena rank was around 2, and combining the top 50 would've made a top 3 guild”. That is not the makeup of an average ship shard.
  • Reyspet
    12 posts Member
    Options

It sounds like they're going to normalize you. But, again, you have to keep in mind that it's hard for us to say anything since we don't know what they told you. We only have our interpretation of your interpretation of what they told you, which is a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy.

Good point. Thank you. Here’s what the message said in total:

You are receiving this message because you are in a ship shard that has an extremely unusual size and activity level. In advance of larger changes to ships, we will be migrating players in your shard, and only your shard, into new separate shards, roughly the size of a normal ship shard, this Thursday. This means that you will face fewer opponents than you currently do. Please see the forums for more information - we will be continuously updating with the status of the migration.

Finally, PLEASE NOTE that if you fight in Fleet Arena or refresh your attempts, during the migration on Thursday, even if you win a fight, your fleet arena leaderboard rank may not change as long as the migration is ongoing. This may take several hours.
  • Eddiemundie
    1070 posts Member
    Options
    I received the notice today that I am in the ship shard which has an aberrant number of participants and is unusually competitive. I’m sure that everyone else in the shard shared my frustration at having to deal with this since the inception of ships. It set everyone in this shard back relative to other players in the game. Other members of my guild stated that they had to play very few ship battles a day to take top ranks, and their fleets were extremely underpowered compared to the fleets that were in the 500-800 range in this aberrant shard. So despite players investing in their fleets, they could not receive the crystals, and fleet currency (leading to zetas) that everyone else was getting.
    It was stated that this shard was created due to a certain algorithm, and that the result was not desired. However the inbox message says that the solution is to “migrate” our shard into new shards of “roughly the same size as a normal ship shard”. This does not address the fault of the algorithm that originated the problem. The shard is obviously made up of extremely competitive players, and splitting them into a few groups doesn’t change that at all. They should be redistributed across all shards, and not just keep competing with the same players again.
    If the shard is just split into a few new shards, then the players will still be competing at a much greater than average rate, and still get way below average rewards. For instance, I currently fight to try and break into the top 500 with a fleet that is one of the best in my guild. Many of my guildmates can get top 10 with one battle per day. If the outlier ship shard is divided into 5 shards, then I might be fighting these same people to get top 100.
    I’m sad that there is probably no way to make up for the months of relatively poor rewards that the average members of this shard have received, but splitting the same members up seems like a very poor solution.

Your solution is to move your ridiculous shard into other shards to make them ridiculous too? Sorry mate you're on your own with your poor suggestion. I'm pretty sure CG would rather appease one shard than **** off x-1 shards (where x = total number of fleet shards).
  • Options
    Wah, wah, wah... So collusion in arena is ok, nothing needs to be fixed or changed, despite the fact that everyone else is getting screwed... But oh my God!! We have to compete in this one aspect of the game, it's just not fair, EA better fix this! Give me a break, quit your crying.
  • PeteSolo
    173 posts Member
    Options
    So I get top 3 on fleet daily, if you bring a couple whales into my payout then I'm risking losing it. Sorry but I won't take
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

No. That is not the only issue. Obviously that would be a solution if it was. The makeup of the shard is the issue. They selected whales to populate this shard.

According to my guild leader: “At one point somebody looked at the top 50 and the average arena rank was around 2, and combining the top 50 would've made a top 3 guild”. That is not the makeup of an average ship shard.

Newsflash : all ship shards have whales - some have many. Once yours are broken up, it'll be like every other ship shard.