Ships 2.0 5/22/18 [Mega]

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    So the devs finally responded, do y'all feel better now?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Ebbda
    261 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »

Yeah, I know I do.

Just makes my decision to uninstall justified.

Usual case of 'we see and acknowledge the issues but not doing anything to address them.'

If the PVE table is the answer, why wasn't that done first??? Sloppy.

Best of luck to everyone! Hope those challenge gear drops disappear soon...

• Caiaphas
    187 posts Member
    Options
    If they
    1. Nerfed Biggs
    2. Gave Plo's ship 195 speed (1 more than TFP), to add the potential for variety

I would feel better
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate the new format even though I still drop into the 20's and fight my way back at payout time to between 1st and 14th this week like I did in 5v5. Now it's a chore instead of fun like a game is supposed to be.

It’s only a chore if you want to be the best. I am not competitive. I am rank 345 and although it’s hard to believe, I have fun. Because I use a fun lineup against other people like me in the 300’s. If you think you have to get the best rewards and be #1 to have fun, then you have a lot to learn my friend
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Ebbda wrote: »

Yeah, I know I do.

Usual case of 'we see and acknowledge the issues but not doing anything to address them.'

improved communcation leads to feeling better about uninstalling, go figure haha.
    Best of luck to you aswell!
  • Ultra
    11597 posts Moderator
    Options

Yeah, I know I do.

bye
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

Yeah, I know I do.

improved communcation leads to feeling better about uninstalling, go figure haha.

To be fair to Ebbda, the "improved communication" (if that's what you call a response 3+ weeks after a 1.5k post thread is started) was basically a "Sorry - been busy with stuff and we're looking into it." No suggestion that anything isn't working as intended - no suggestion that anything will be corrected. As Ebbda pointed out, pretty much the usual case of "Yeah, we hear you - but we like the way things are."

So, in Ebbda's defense, pretty much nothing was done nor plans to do anything to correct the many issues with Ships 2.0, save for a post that was 2+ weeks overdo.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Yeah, I know I do.

To be fair to Ebbda, the "improved communication" (if that's what you call a response 3+ weeks after a 1.5k post thread is started) was basically a "Sorry - been busy with stuff and we're looking into it." No suggestion that anything isn't working as intended - no suggestion that anything will be corrected. As Ebbda pointed out, pretty much the usual case of "Yeah, we hear you - but we like the way things are."

So, in Ebbda's defense, pretty much nothing was done nor plans to do anything to correct the many issues with Ships 2.0, save for a post that was 2+ weeks overdo.

the point was that communication is overrated, not a jab at ebbda or her(?) decision at all.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Yeah, I know I do.

the point was that communication is overrated, not a jab at ebbda or her(?) decision at all.

My bad - I misread what you were saying. Mea culpa.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Not only tie reaper I paid for falcon as well.
    Falcon got an upgrade. It was truly abominable before--slow not just of speed, but needed to sacrifice its first action to get Thrust Reversal, then had to hope it didn't get hit before its slow speed gave it another turn. Also had to hope it didn't get hit by Asohka', Vader', or TIE Reaper's dispels, or 5's basic if target locked.

Now it's still slow, but counterattacks and gains TM, enters with Thrust Reversal, and Thrust Reversal can't be dispelled.

It still isn't good, to be clear. Its damage seems really low for something with as much Physical Damage as it has on paper so maybe it's bugged, but it's better than 1.0 by a mile.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Qhue wrote: »
    Its doubly frustrating because Kylo Ren's Shuttle, which used to debuff the enemy capital ship turn meter, no longer does. Basically if you had a g12 Tie Fighter Pilot when Ships2.0 launched you got a free pass and if you had g12 anything else instead you lose.

*whispers*
    (TIE Pilot is a liability now. Don't use TIE Pilot. Too many attacks are unavoidable, and its dodge got balanced to the point where a dodgeable attack is occasionally worth the risk. It's still great against dumb players, though. If you think things are too random, stop relying on randomness-based ships.)
    */whisper*
  • Options
    CG_SBCrumb wrote: »
    I haven't abandoned you all. I've been busy with releases, writing up reports and escalating issues from the community. That doesn't excuse my lack of communication back though. So my apologies for not keeping the conversation going the other direction. Here's a quick run down of what I've reported.
    • RNG is a big issue for some folks - some battles feel like a complete roll of the dice
    • My existing investments got nerfed - Tie Reaper comes to mind here of course, it needed to not be so dominate but it's a ship that took a ton of time to get and was fairly critical to a top team.
    • It's difficult to figure out the new meta
    • I don't want to play Geonosians!
    • Level 60 Ship Challenges are very difficult - We are making these significantly easier next patch. This should be completable by players who just reach this tier.
    One part to remember, this is only part of the picture for Ships 2.0, there are features still to come. Specifically, the PvE table should allow players to earn more resources and practice new strategies. This won't solve balance concerns of course but it should make earning new ships much more comfortable.
    To the Developers:
    The materials needed for upgrading reinforcement abilities are too rare for me to enjoy/appreciate the new facet of the game.
    This will change when we launch the PvE Ships Table. The node is just to hold folks over until there are many places to earn Reinforcement Materials from the Ship specific table.
    • Yes to battles feeling like a coin flip.
    • Eh about Tie reaper - but yes, nerfing hard farm investments is never a good thing. Why even? You reward people doing that!
    • No on "figuring" things out, we're smart boys and girls here...
    • No on "playing" Geonosian - that's fine - people don't want to GEAR Geonosians - they're useless everywhere else in game and we don't even have a fifth to make up a real faction team. It's a big difference...
    • IDK - but this just seems like a bug/oversight.

You missed that one of the stated reasons for ships 2.0 was to decrease the speed of fights - they are not shorter and, often, much longer.

Also, they are Fleet battles... not little 3 on 3 dog fights, ships have always been underwhelming in comparison to the big Star Wars space battles movies/shows/other media give us. Why have capitol ships involved in dog fights? Ships in the reinforcement bay should still be involved, All cap ships should have a "scramble squadrons" ability (well, okay, Tarkins does... but it's like his mega ability so, eh)

What I think was, AND HAS BEEN, the clearest thing the community has been asking for... for many, the ONLY thing... we wanted more ships and diversity, other cap ships, more chances at ship interaction! Now, even if we do get more ships, chances at possible interactions have been reduced 40%. (yeah, it can get back up to 5 v 5, but ships die along the way, so, that's a big maybe)
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • DarkGod
    38 posts Member
    Options
    Thx a lot EA for Ships 2.0.
    I was not a fan of the ships before, but now I completely ignore them.
    In addition, I now know that I no longer put money in my account
  • Decay
    112 posts Member
    Options
    i find this funny, the press Secretary for the president covers multiple topics a day and is available. CG has multiple moderators that don't cover any topics daily and aren't available - interesting.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    Decay wrote: »
    i find this funny, the press Secretary for the president covers multiple topics a day and is available. CG has multiple moderators that don't cover any topics daily and aren't available - interesting.

Yeah no, I don’t find this funny
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options

Mods aren’t employees. They’re volunteers who play the game around the world. They get nothing (except scorn and posts like this) in return for their effort.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »

Mods aren’t employees. They’re volunteers who play the game around the world. They get nothing (except scorn and posts like this) in return for their effort.

Not true they have your praise and devotion !!!!!!! So you saying they get "nothing" should be almost nothing. And there are many others who defend them as well. So there's that
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    The super scary thing coming is G12.5. 3V3 setups that don't use biggs totally rely on speed.which will no longer be an option when 12.5 hits.

When the tank raid has exclusive gear giving people ship speed advantage it was not as bad when it was 5v5 there was a window of recovery. At 3v3 there is no window, the fastest ships will will and the only people with access to that gear are in God Tier Guilds.

It bothers me that Arena rank will be determined not by skill, gear, money spent, crystal refreshes spent...it will be determined by what guild you are in.

I basically support 2.0 and I'll just have to deal with it when 12.5 is released and all my pilots lose their speed advantage (I'll probably have Genoshans by then anyway)

I don't think this will bust up as many guilds as HSTR did, prob not even close...but it will prob cause a lot of people who focus on ships to jump ship.

Oh well we will see when it get's released if any effect is seen..... it does kinda stink though that a big part of your SArena rank could be determined by what guild your in and not every other factor

And then again it might not affect anything at all...time will tell
  • Eddiemundie
    1070 posts Member
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    Actually Biggs has a countership. Look at his buddy Wedge's reinforcement ability.

What a great counter. Then cry for the rest of the match since wedge gets torn apart by practically everything else.

Game specifics aside, setting wedge as a counter to biggs doesnt even make any sense since they are in the same fricking squadron
  • Eddiemundie
    1070 posts Member
    Options
    • RNG is a big issue for some folks - some battles feel like a complete roll of the dice
    • My existing investments got nerfed - Tie Reaper comes to mind here of course, it needed to not be so dominate but it's a ship that took a ton of time to get and was fairly critical to a top team.
    • Level 60 Ship Challenges are very difficult - We are making these significantly easier next patch. This should be completable by players who just reach this tier.
    One part to remember, this is only part of the picture for Ships 2.0, there are features still to come. Specifically, the PvE table should allow players to earn more resources and practice new strategies. This won't solve balance concerns of course but it should make earning new ships much more comfortable.
    To the Developers:
    The materials needed for upgrading reinforcement abilities are too rare for me to enjoy/appreciate the new facet of the game.
    This will change when we launch the PvE Ships Table. The node is just to hold folks over until there are many places to earn Reinforcement Materials from the Ship specific table.

Thanks for the response. So what’s next?

TBH i dont really care about the reinforcement abiliies since most do the job at lvl1 and some can actually cause u to lose on defense (e.g. Boba against tfp if u get what i mean).

U’re missing out one point - fewer starting ships is a big factor in why rng has scaled up so much. Could this be highlighted to the devs? Before 2.0 came out i did predict that the 3v3 will kill the fights but hey, it got buried in feedback or something.
  • Options
    I use Vader's TIE as a reinforcement (sue me), it is broken, please fix it.

I Have You Now level 8 (max) description: Inflict Evasion Down and Ability Block on target enemy for 2 turns, which can't be Evaded or Resisted, and gain 25% Turn Meter for each debuff on that enemy.
    These are guaranteed debuffs but don't always land. Does not gain 25% TM for each debuff.

Unnerving Presence level 3 (max): Inflict 3 Damage Over Time effects and Offense Down on all enemies for 2 turns, which can't be Evaded.
    DoTs don't last for 2 turns.

I routinely bring in Vader and use IHYN ability on enemy Biggs, applying 3 DoTs, Offense Down, Evasion Down, Ability Block right out of the gate. 6 debuffs (2 guaranteed) on a ship which usually already has a couple buffs. Should get 100% TM from IHYN to go again. Does not.
  • Degs29
    361 posts Member
    Options

Yeah, I know I do.

You want them to act before they understand the situation? Would just lead to bigger problems. They need to watch and learn.

Remember, gamers are a fickle lot that like to cry and moan. We've seen plenty of examples where devs try to cater to the every whim of their players, only to have it blow up in their face. Most gamers know very little about developing games and so don't understand the process. It's easy to criticize the devs when you can't empathize with them.

Are there legitimate grievances? Sure are. But your attitude towards them in this case is unfair. A fair grievance is that we've gone for so long without proper mod management. That is something they could have properly assessed and responded to by now.

• Options
    Degs29 wrote: »

Yeah, I know I do.

You want them to act before they understand the situation? Would just lead to bigger problems. They need to watch and learn.

Remember, gamers are a fickle lot that like to cry and moan. We've seen plenty of examples where devs try to cater to the every whim of their players, only to have it blow up in their face. Most gamers know very little about developing games and so don't understand the process. It's easy to criticize the devs when you can't empathize with them.

Are there legitimate grievances? Sure are. But your attitude towards them in this case is unfair. A fair grievance is that we've gone for so long without proper mod management. That is something they could have properly assessed and responded to by now.

Agreed with the first two paras.

3rd paras reply:-

Except that they have already responded to it. They have mentioned time and again that mod management is difficult to implement and will take time.
    Whereas changing ships back to 5v5 isn't. Essentially solving all the rng problems encountered because of this new system of 3 ships.
    Every day that goes by, chances of reverting back to 5v5 becomes less, so i'd say that this is more of a fair/just grievance.
    (Yes, i don't care about mod management half as much as i do about this ship rngfest.)
  • Muaddib
    563 posts Member
    Options
    I haven't abandoned you all. I've been busy with releases, writing up reports and escalating issues from the community. That doesn't excuse my lack of communication back though. So my apologies for not keeping the conversation going the other direction. Here's a quick run down of what I've reported.
    One part to remember, this is only part of the picture for Ships 2.0, there are features still to come.

Thank you for the response @CG_SBCrumb ... but you missed the big one in that list: 3v3. Fewer ships at start is aggravating the RNG issues - there's less chance to recover from 1 or 2 rough bits of RNG and, that I recall from reading the majority of these now 50 pages, I don't think anyone has praised the move to fewer opening ships.
    Regarding the features to come... Aside from the table, anything you're able to discuss? Nice to see a new ship on the way as well. Has there been any thought to a Legendary Ship event? (cough red 5 cough)
  • Yes
    145 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    He already did the 3v3 is going to change. That's the choice they're taking.
  • Options
    Nihion wrote: »
    I absolutely hate the new format even though I still drop into the 20's and fight my way back at payout time to between 1st and 14th this week like I did in 5v5. Now it's a chore instead of fun like a game is supposed to be.

It’s only a chore if you want to be the best. I am not competitive. I am rank 345 and although it’s hard to believe, I have fun. Because I use a fun lineup against other people like me in the 300’s. If you think you have to get the best rewards and be #1 to have fun, then you have a lot to learn my friend

I think most people find winning to be more fun than losing.
  • Options
    Joined just to add to the frustration:

Ships 1.0 was mediocre for me. I usually used all 5 of my daily attempts, and the strategy of determining how to split my resources between toons and ships was somewhat interesting.

Ships 2.0 is an absolute mess. The past several days, I've lost an average of 4 out of 5 attempts, am routinely offered matches vs. players with 30k-50k GP higher than mine, and today I'm on track to lose 5 out of 5 unless I miraculously pull a rabbit out of my **** on my last remaining attempt.

I'm ready to give up ships entirely except for one battle set to auto for my dailies. At least I'll be able to reallocate resources strictly to toons.

So, thanks for the steaming pile that is the 2.0 rework.
  • MntMan
    281 posts Member
    Options
    Maybe Ships 2.0 was released as it is to take our focus off of how terrible the SIth Raid is.........sneaky.
  • Dark_Light
    499 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Not really, still debating pulling the plug, it’s already been said, but if they think this is fine we definitely have a problem here, and that’s a problem I would never support. Can’t support it with time or money, this update is garbage, and I’m having a hard time not treating it as such.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    Nihion wrote: »

I think most people find winning to be more fun than losing.

I don’t necessarily lose. I just play at a lower place where my fun team has capped out. If you don’t have fun, don’t play. But there are ways to have fun with this game that don’t involve winning