Ships 2.0 Update - 6/7/18 [MEGA]

Replies

• Pulsehammer
    158 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    8nqmx230vag4.png
    Ships need pilots because a Tie Advanced with zeta’d 85th level Vader at the helm SHOULD outperform it’s equivalent with some level 40 green Vader.

I noticed an earlier comment saying that, if you lose a ship out of your initial three first, you’re done for. Incorrect, as this happens to my Boba in 95% of the battles I fight, most of which I win.

RNG is a factor, but not the only influence. I still use my now-nerfed Reaper to keep me in the win column 80% of the time. Did I mention that I’ve never run Tie Fighter in my lineup?

Finished #9 tonight in my fairly old (2-3 years, I believe?) shard. If I’m a paid shill, then EA’s late with the checks. For the record, my rankings in Ships 2.0 fall roughly in the same range as my rankings in Ships 1.0 — perhaps 1-2 spots better.
  • jedilord
    338 posts Member
    Options
    Finished #9 tonight in my fairly old (2-3 years, I believe?) shard. If I’m a paid shill, then EA’s late with the checks. For the record, my rankings in Ships 2.0 fall roughly in the same range as my rankings in Ships 1.0 — perhaps 1-2 spots better.

cool, i also think that i am finishing more often at place1 in my shard than before (so other players don´t)... but only because i get more crystals don´t make this awful ships 1.0.0.1 (also known as ships 2.0) better. i am here to play a game and not to push a button like a slotmachine^^
  • Options
    I guess, in a nutshell, that's my point. I am winning most of my matches whether the RNG falls in my favor or against me until about the top 15 or so (where I've learned which heavy hitters I can historically beat with my fleet and which to avoid).

It's not all, or even mostly a coin toss if you design your fleet to utilize the changes that have been put in place and make smart moves during the battles themselves.

It also sounds like a lot of folks are retreating the moment they get a whiff of adversity (example: enemy capital ship going first?). They are likely missing out on a lot of close wins by throwing in the towel at the first sign of trouble, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Tazerface wrote: »
    Well, i cant take this anymore. After the mods debacle, then the horrible sith raid and now this? I cant justify spending money or time on this game. It has clearly has been going down hill for the last 6 months and with reponses like this, its obvious that things are going to get worse before they get better.

I feel like CG is in way over their heads. I hope EA pulls this game from CG and gives it to a developer that is competent.

I work at the largest tech company in the world and if someone took a successful and popular product, and did this to it, people would be fired.

As much as I dislike cg for stupid mistakes some days I still think it’s ea giving bad direction more then cg. I mean ea has a long history of taking good games and making them unplayable for me. So basically as much as I hate what is going on with the game now I don’t completely blame cg for it. Maybe just 60%...
    I hate these new timesinks called Tb/tw. Annoying features.
  • Taerdin
    5 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Can you please rebalance the ship challenges? I cannot beat the ship enhancement droid tier 3 challenge even though I far exceed the recommended power level, I am in a similar situation with 5 star capital ship challenges.

Thank you for your consideration
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    jedilord wrote: »
    and your conclusion that the fights lasts 10 seconds less is because the fights are faster over? i don´t think so because:
    1st: many gamers had played their battles all the 8minutes long to prevent beeing sniped in their payouttime -> this isn´t possible anymore, and the most of us don´t use the 5minutes frame, because to block someone only for 5minutes is senseless to the most...

2nd: because of your RNG-hell the outcome of victory is decided after the first 2-3 hits, we withdraw from battle after that mentioned 2-3 hits if your RNG-hell has chosen the win isn´t ours...

so if you consider to count that 2 facts into your calculation the 10 seconds less is an indication all "real fights" are lasting longer now

1) Many more people didn't fight fleet battles at all in 1.0, retreating or force closing the app as soon as possible. We don't know the numbers on either side, but but there were definitely far more people who didn't care about 1.0 than did.

2) The "RNG-hell" is totally a self-made problem. If you don't want it, then use different ships. There have been a multitude of posts that explain how to minimize randomness.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    I guess, in a nutshell, that's my point. I am winning most of my matches whether the RNG falls in my favor or against me until about the top 15 or so (where I've learned which heavy hitters I can historically beat with my fleet and which to avoid).

It's not all, or even mostly a coin toss if you design your fleet to utilize the changes that have been put in place and make smart moves during the battles themselves.

It also sounds like a lot of folks are retreating the moment they get a whiff of adversity (example: enemy capital ship going first?). They are likely missing out on a lot of close wins by throwing in the towel at the first sign of trouble, in my opinion.

All of this is true.

To add to it, though, I've been playing games online for over 20 years now since AOL used to have that Starship Troopers freespace-like game and if there's one consistent throughline from 1995 on down to 2018, it's that any time someone loses it's because the game cheated them somehow. It's not that they aren't as good as they thought, that their gear wasn't quite up to par, that they misplayed their team, that the enemy actually did a good job, or anything of the sort--it's always pure luck and randomness, and it just happens to never fall in their favor.

The average online gamer would lose to Usain Bolt and claim the contest was all down to RNG. "We both have the same number of legs, I should be able to beat him."
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    Kluge wrote: »
    I'm profoundly opposed to ships 2.0. EA/CG is putting me in a box, where I have a choice. Burn 2 zetas to get my GAT +2 speed or effectively walk away from ships arena. I was top 5 without much struggle before the upgrade. Now, I am slower than 90% because I've thus far refused to waste the 2 zetas on GAT. Reasoning?? Spending the zetas will allow me to equal the competition. Then, it's just comes down to dumb luck. 2 zetas for a 50/50 chance of winning is a steep cost. So, now I've settled in on my decision to just burn my 5 battles, maybe win 2 or 3, and land where I land. I won't fall victim to the trap. Earn less crystals from area = more chance of spending $$ for crystal packs. Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me. Ain't happenin' EA/CG, but nice try.

If you think you have to invest two zetas on Tarkin or you can't win, you've got a bigger problem than potentially falling into a "trap."
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Also, yeah... Why are you using a weaker Tarkin against a stronger Tarkin and being angry you lose? Thats' like punching a wall and then blaming the wall for your hand being broken.

Every capital ship has a counter. Don't do mirror matches.

Maybe you haven't invested in the other capital ships. Start doing that now.
  • Ruprecht
    112 posts Member
    Options
    GAT stands for Tarkin?
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Ruprecht wrote: »
    GAT stands for Tarkin?

My bad. I read GAT as Grand Moff Tarkin because M and A are the same letters if you don't think about it too much :p

Anyway, in that case, the problem is that the counter to Tarkin is Mace, but that there are some fundamental problems with Mace in 2.0 (speed and cooldowns were unchanged from 1.0, when they were both mitigated by Valor; but now that you only have 3 ships, Valor doesn't help at all) that need to be fixed. Thrawn can compete with Tarkin, but needs to be faster so that he can get his ultimate off first for that extra turn before Tarkin's.

The way I remember it is that each light capital ship is about equal with the other, beats one dark ship, and loses to the other. Vice versa for dark.
  • Options
    Sentia wrote: »
    So I often fight exact mirror teams that are within 5k power. The Team Make up is Chimera, Biggs, TFP and Tie Advanced, with Slave1 then Scimitar as replacements. Yes we are all gear 12 to 12.5.

I never shoot the Tie fighter so he doesn't dodge to give AI Chimaera TM. In the first round my Chimera can win the coin flip and go before the AI some times or right after. So how does he get his ultimate off 2 rounds before mine is ready? What is the AI doing to reduce CD of that ability? I have to be missing something or the AI is cheating, anyone else have this issue?

I have noticed this as well... My Chimaera will be ready to use it's ultimate on its next go, somehow the AI Chimaera manages to go before me and then destroys my fleet. In the rare instances that all of my remaining ships aren't destroyed outright, when it's my Chimaera's turn, somehow, all of my abilities except "Calculated Strike" are now on CD of 1...****...
  • Options
    So I often fight exact mirror teams that are within 5k power. The Team Make up is Chimera, Biggs, TFP and Tie Advanced, with Slave1 then Scimitar as replacements. Yes we are all gear 12 to 12.5.

I never shoot the Tie fighter so he doesn't dodge to give AI Chimaera TM. In the first round my Chimera can win the coin flip and go before the AI some times or right after. So how does he get his ultimate off 2 rounds before mine is ready? What is the AI doing to reduce CD of that ability? I have to be missing something or the AI is cheating, anyone else have this issue?

So much this. This is exactly how I #1 now and also how I #1 before 2.0... they barely even changed the meta outside of dropping reaper.

Now you just use less ships, it's a little more RNG dependent, and much less interesting... and the AI cheats a little. Cool.

1.0 to 2.0 was like turning chess into checkers, IMO.
  • WeaponXLVII
    51 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    Oh yeah I made the same mistake, read Thrawn as Tarkin. Regardless, point still stands.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options

I have noticed this as well... My Chimaera will be ready to use it's ultimate on its next go, somehow the AI Chimaera manages to go before me and then destroys my fleet. In the rare instances that all of my remaining ships aren't destroyed outright, when it's my Chimaera's turn, somehow, all of my abilities except "Calculated Strike" are now on CD of 1...****...

You need to read the abilities of the ship you are using.
  • Options
    Man, if it weren't for Nic and TVF verse the Persian Millions against ships 2.0 this would be a truly bleak forum to come to.
    Keep fighting in the shade boys... keep fighting... I salute you.
    spartan.gif
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Options
    8nqmx230vag4.png
    Ships need pilots because a Tie Advanced with zeta’d 85th level Vader at the helm SHOULD outperform it’s equivalent with some level 40 green Vader.

I noticed an earlier comment saying that, if you lose a ship out of your initial three first, you’re done for. Incorrect, as this happens to my Boba in 95% of the battles I fight, most of which I win.

RNG is a factor, but not the only influence. I still use my now-nerfed Reaper to keep me in the win column 80% of the time. Did I mention that I’ve never run Tie Fighter in my lineup?

No offense, but if those are the top fleets of your shard then your shard kind of sucks. Doesnt seem very active toward fleets.
  • K33p3r_ofthe_C00L
    149 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    deleted
  • Options
    8nqmx230vag4.png

No offense, but if those are the top fleets of your shard then your shard kind of sucks. Doesnt seem very active toward fleets.

How should an active fleet shard look like?
  • Options
    8nqmx230vag4.png

How should an active fleet shard look like?

I'm in a 6 month old ship shard. The top five GP are all over 300K. Top is 340K, a whale who bought himself a 7* Chimaera. Next is 329K, a spender who bought himself a 7* Executrix. The rest are 6* Executrix with a bunch of 7* ships and gold-gear pilots. I hang on at 250K with a 6* Executrix, a mix of 6* and 7* ships, and G10-G11 pilots. I can take 1st during my battle hour, but I can't camp out in the top 5 most of the day like some of the others can. (I know GP doesn't always tell the whole story since multiple pilots can inflate GP, but since my shard has very little variation in ships used, it's a decent metric here.)

My shard is relatively young and not very competitive. On an active, mature shard, I'd expect to see all capital ships at 7*, mostly Chimaeras, and higher GP across the top 10. It seems people in shards that are still developing vs. people in shards that are fully mature are having different experiences, and it's important to note that when discussing Ships 2.0.
  • jedilord
    338 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    jedilord wrote: »
    and your conclusion that the fights lasts 10 seconds less is because the fights are faster over? i don´t think so because:
    1st: many gamers had played their battles all the 8minutes long to prevent beeing sniped in their payouttime -> this isn´t possible anymore, and the most of us don´t use the 5minutes frame, because to block someone only for 5minutes is senseless to the most...

2nd: because of your RNG-hell the outcome of victory is decided after the first 2-3 hits, we withdraw from battle after that mentioned 2-3 hits if your RNG-hell has chosen the win isn´t ours...

so if you consider to count that 2 facts into your calculation the 10 seconds less is an indication all "real fights" are lasting longer now

1) Many more people didn't fight fleet battles at all in 1.0, retreating or force closing the app as soon as possible. We don't know the numbers on either side, but but there were definitely far more people who didn't care about 1.0 than did.

2) The "RNG-hell" is totally a self-made problem. If you don't want it, then use different ships. There have been a multitude of posts that explain how to minimize randomness.

sorry you don´t understand...

1) the many people you mean have played only 1 fight for dailies and that´s all... in ships 1.0.0.1 (aka ships 2.0) the majority of all who played it regularely hadn´t so much losses than now. since we can only speculate about the numbers, CG must not... so they should check all the numbers not the 10 seconds alone, give the ball to CG than (like me i wanted with my initial post hat they should check their numbers more closely)...

2) CG_Carrie had said that the fights are 10 seconds shorter now... she hadn´t said use other ships to shorten your fights... i´m sorry to say but you clearly missed the topic, in school you wouldn´t get a positiv response from a teacher ;)

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I would also like to point out that reducing the starting number of ships down to 3 also drastically messes with fleet battles in Territory Wars.

If a guildy goes in to a TW fleet battle and doesn't manage to kill off a strong tank (like, oh I don't know....Biggs maybe) - and reinforcements are called, then even the strongest guild member going in later has a tremendous disadvantage walking in to 4 vs. 3 and the 4 having a TM advantage.

That is completely different than in TW ground battles, where it's still 5 on 5 (at worst).

Honestly didn't think Ships 2.0 could have been worse - and then I realized how it can also negatively affect yet another part of the game. Good gravy.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Aluxtu
    420 posts Member
    Options

.when chimera uses ult it increases all capital ship cd by 1
  • Options
    I just faced an under geared but maxed unique geo triplets for fun. Maxed G12 Biggs/Vader/TFP vs G11/G10/G10 Solder,Spy,Sun respectively. I got wiped and it wasn't close. Then I actually bothered too look at the unique abilities for every ship and OH MY GOD - once you do, you realize what a blatant cash grab this change really was. No other ships have even close to the added functionality provided by these 3 uniques. What utter rubbish.
  • Options
    Man I worked so hard getting my DT and Shore to 7*, gear 12 and 11, and my Reaper to 7*. Maybe a week after getting it all maxed out, this happens. I still use it from time to time but man, that hurt.

The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Monel
    2786 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Their big updates have been this filth and the Sith raid? How are people not fired?

Well at least you aren't overreacting.

Once you get the right characters Sith Raid is actually fairly easy. Just grind them out. Same thing happen when tank raid was released. Also I dont know how many of us have been playing this long but Rancor used to suck as well. I remember grinding out Teebo and QGJ just try and put up a decent score in phase 1.

It does suck how hard the lower tiers are and the payouts for those tiers do suck, I've been there as well. Just keep grinding the right teams for sith heroic and you will enjoy it.
  • Options
    I just faced an under geared but maxed unique geo triplets for fun. Maxed G12 Biggs/Vader/TFP vs G11/G10/G10 Solder,Spy,Sun respectively. I got wiped and it wasn't close. Then I actually bothered too look at the unique abilities for every ship and OH MY GOD - once you do, you realize what a blatant cash grab this change really was. No other ships have even close to the added functionality provided by these 3 uniques. What utter rubbish.

I'll modify this a bit - Ghost and Phantom also got some unique love. I'll save everybody some research here, but for the same amount of ship omegas you get +3% turn meter reduction from the Reaper...poor poor Reaper.

Geo Soldier
    While Geonosian Soldier's Starfighter is active, all Geonosian allies gain +10% Accuracy for each active Geonosian ally. +5% Assist Chance and -5% Damage Penalty.

Geo Spy
    Geonosian Soldier's Starfighter also gains Stealth for 1 turn. In addition, while Geonosian Spy's Starfighter is active, all Geonosian allies gain +10% Offense for each active Geonosian ally

Sun Fac
    While Sun Fac's Geonosian Starfighter is active, all Geonosian allies gain +10% Critical Avoidance for each active Geonosian ally. +5% Turn Meter Gain and +25% Defense whenever a buffed enemy starts their turn

Ghost
    When Phantom II is defeated, Ghost gains Protection Up (50%) for 2 turns and 100% Defense until the end of the battle

Phantom II
    While Ghost is present, Phantom II gains Critical Hit Immunity, which can't be prevented or Dispelled

• Options
    I think my biggest issue is the unfair advantage that AI seems to have. They go first almost every time. AI also lands their unique every time and the dodge rate of the TFP AI ship compared to yours is unreal. So this is why it is so RNG dependent even more so now. You can fight the same person and if you even get half the amount of lands from your special, like a target lock or a double tap from FOTP then you can win easily, but the is a big IF that you land those even half the amount.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options

Wait wait wait, are you actually saying Ships 2.0 isn't pure RNG? But everyone says it's just RNG...

Also of course it's a cash grab. They make money by grabbing cash. Be glad other people have cash to grab so you don't have to have yours grabbed if you don't want to.