Upcoming Sith Raid Changes [MEGA THREAD]

Prev13456712
Sunnie1978
2937 posts Moderator
edited August 2018
DEV POST
CG_SBCrumb wrote: »

Hi Holotable Heroes,

Two weeks ago I mentioned that we were getting ready to reveal some changes coming to the Sith Raid based on extensive feedback collected from the players through the forums, Reddit, beta program, and other channels. Today, I’m pleased to be able to share the broad strokes of these changes with you and we’ll be providing more specifics as we get closer to the release.

One of the resounding points of feedback we have heard from the community is that the raid is still prohibitively difficult and not rewarding enough for players, particularly in Tiers 1-6. To top it off, on the upper end of those playthroughs, it’s taking upwards of a week for some guilds to complete, while many of the guilds who have been doing Heroic (Tier 7) for awhile are completing it a couple times a week. While we always want the top end rewards to be the greatest, because they should be commensurate of the effort it takes to play at that level, it has gotten particularly challenging as the “effort” required in the Sith Raid has been higher at the lower Tier levels.

The two areas we’ve heard repeated feedback on are: a) the randomness of some of the mechanics (thus forcing retries) and b) the balance of effort versus rewards. In order to address randomness and make the experience feel less frustrating while climbing the ranks to Heroic, we are removing some of the elements that really make it hard to judge what the AI will do next. For the rewards, we are making some improvements to the value but also focusing on decreasing the time (and frustration) it takes to get those prizes as we believe that will net in significantly more rewards over time.

Randomness
The random nature of Phases 1 and 3 can be very time consuming if you are trying to get the most out of your teams. Often times, it is likely better to restart when Darth Nihilus’ Annihilate comes off cooldown sooner or later than expected. Other times, Traya’s lightsabers’ buffs/debuffs randomize in way that can makes your run practically and strategically very difficult to plan around. All of these chances for something to go wrong, increases the time commitment and often encourages players to restart until they get the perfect run. This shouldn’t be the way that you play the raid.

We have a made a few changes to address the randomness in the Sith Raid. Note, while we are focusing primarily on Tiers 1-6, there is one change we are making to Tier 7 to reduce frustration for those players as well:
  • (Tiers 1-7 in Phase 1 & 4) Nihilus' kit will be adjusted to be more predictable - Annihilate is such an important ability to strategically plan for in Phase 1 & 4. Ultimately, we want to reduce the chance you get caught unaware by Annihilate and improve the likelihood that you’ll be able to use to use Unbreakable Will at the right time.
  • (Tiers 1-6 in Phase 3) Reduce Randomness on Traya’s Lightsabers - We want to reduce the feeling that you need to reset a run to get a decent score. For some teams, success against Traya is heavily dependent on which buffs (and by extension, debuffs) start on her sabers and who they decide to attack first. We have several ideas on how to solve this issue but we need to do some additional balance testing before making our final decision.

We think these changes should significantly reduce the feeling of needing to restart. On to rewards!

Rewards and Time
Another point of common feedback was that the STR wasn’t worth the time. The plan is to hit this problem from both sides: faster completions and improved rewards. Overall, we want to reduce the average time it takes to complete the STR in Tiers 1-6 and incentivize players to keep trying to reach the next tier. We have three changes that should speed things up for most teams.
  • (Tiers 1-6 in All Phases) Reduce the Health of Nihilus, Sion and Traya - This simply will reduce the time to complete each stage by decreasing the boss’ health pools

Speeding things up helps the raid feel better but we also felt the rewards were still not enticing enough at this completion rate.
  • (Tier 6-7) Adding Mod Salvage - With Mod Slicing coming out, we'll be introducing Mod Salvage as rewards to all ranks.
  • (All Tiers) Remove some Challenge Gear from AAT Pool - We will finally be addressing the challenge gear concerns by getting rid of some of lower level gear that is stacking up in player inventories which will allow more opportunities to earn better rewards in those boxes. This removal of challenge gear also applies to AAT rewards.

Beyond Tiers 1-6
To be clear, most of these changes are not impacting Heroic. We still want this to be hard goal to strive towards and we feel the difficulty of the mechanics in Heroic match the level of rewards. Tier 6 will be the challenging stepping stone to Heroic as it will retain the harder mechanics.

We wanted to get these changes out as soon as possible but we need to take our time testing internally and find the right combination of changes to alleviate some of the difficulty at lower tiers. We think the changes outlined above will relieve some of the pain points that diminish your excitement and enthusiasm to participate in the Sith Triumvirate Raid.

Thank you all again for your feedback and your patience with these changes.

DEV POST
Post edited by TyloRen on

Replies

• Lekrom1982
    343 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Thank. You. Very. Much.
    :smiley:
  • Options
    Is there a timeframe in which these changes are expected to go live?
  • Jack92
    179 posts Member
    Options
    This shouldn’t be the way that you play the raid
    Bad sentence imho :|

For the rest it seem to be excellent measures to help players, so good job
  • Options
    SandurzGoH wrote: »
    Is there a timeframe in which these changes are expected to go live?
    We are hoping to go live with this shortly after the Mod changes are implemented but we need to do some additional testing before we can finalize our exactly solutions
  • Options
    Jack92 wrote: »

Huh? I’m confused. Are you saying the raid should be so RNG dependent and scores from individual runs of the same team should vary so much that it’s best to run the raid a dozen times to get gold RNG? That’s how it is now, and they are saying it shouldn’t be that way. I completely agree.
  • HK22
    645 posts Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great way to improve the Raid experience, but I do have a few questions that I'm sure others will ask.

1. Can you give us a general idea of how much health the Raid Bosses will be losing per-tier? I think in one of the original cut backs Nihilus lost 10% of his health.

2. Since you mentioned taking out some of the challenge gear, can you give us an idea of what gear will be taken out.
  • Options
    Seeking a little clarity on the challenge gear removal:

Most of it, i’m Happy to see go, but will the biotech implant salvage (gold eyeballs) be removed as well? Those have become a *major* bottleneck.
  • Options
    Great that these concerns are finally adressed, though I'm still flabberghasted it took you half a year to figure it out. We'll await the exact changes and numbers before judging if it's good enough of course.
  • Strubz
    429 posts Member
    Options
    Seems like a good start on positive changes. Could we get more information on how Annihilate will be adjusted to make it "less random"? Does that mean he can only use it if it is NOT on cooldown at the start of his next turn? I believe that would be the best fix.
  • Options
    Just removing the 50% chance of a third attack would solve randomness issues all over the board, both in good and bad scenarios. Would be great if the speed bonus would be visible somehow so you didn't have to guess if your next toon goes before or after the boss as well.
  • Options
    No no no I can't be reading this right... Reducing the RNG factor, removal of challenge gear raid rewards.... :O this must be a dream
  • Options
    Strubz wrote: »
    Seems like a good start on positive changes. Could we get more information on how Annihilate will be adjusted to make it "less random"? Does that mean he can only use it if it is NOT on cooldown at the start of his next turn? I believe that would be the best fix.
    HK22 wrote: »
    Sounds like a great way to improve the Raid experience, but I do have a few questions that I'm sure others will ask.

1. Can you give us a general idea of how much health the Raid Bosses will be losing per-tier? I think in one of the original cut backs Nihilus lost 10% of his health.

2. Since you mentioned taking out some of the challenge gear, can you give us an idea of what gear will be taken out.
    I don't want to give out specific numbers or gear because which and how much health is still in discussion. The hope is take out the gear that's piling up excessively in inventories so you actually get the things you want more regularly.

I'll be able to share more specifics as we get closer to the changes.
  • Options
    Too Little Too Late.
  • Options
    I guess I'll address the elephant in the room. Mod salvage pieces. Are they being added into the loot pool additional or is it going to take up a slot as a chance to drop. Ie we would get less salvage because a loot spot was taken up by a salvage piece?
  • Options
    Overall I love these changes, so great job.

My question though is why does P3 still get to be random on heroic?
  • Jack92
    179 posts Member
    Options

Huh? I’m confused. Are you saying the raid should be so RNG dependent and scores from individual runs of the same team should vary so much that it’s best to run the raid a dozen times to get gold RNG? That’s how it is now, and they are saying it shouldn’t be that way. I completely agree.

i just said that This shouldn’t be the way that you play the raid it's a bad sentence.
    I think they could use a less equivocal phrase on responsibilities of the situation.

A phrase like:
    "We apologize for having conceived the raid in such a way that led these consequences and now we will remedy our design errors"
    It would have been more suitable imho.
  • Options
    Please consider making T6 exactly like T7 (except for refreshing teams every 24 hours) so that players can actually practice against what they will really be facing in heroic raids. It makes little sense to have people "learn" how to beat a raid that will completely change once they move up to the top level.
  • jursllla
    48 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    LOL why do the noobs gets easier p3 ? .It will come as a chock to them when reaching Heroic. We are 126mill guild who farmed for heroic sith for months and p3 takes many hours as most of us gotta reload 30-40-50 times to get perfect start on the sabres. I am usually very positive to cg changes but this is realy bad.

When recruiting the t5/t6 dudes who doesnt even have good teams for p3 will think they are amazing in the raid but cant even do damage in heroic haha
  • Options

I apologize if I came off aggressive here, I meant more that we don't think resetting a ton of times is very fun and you shouldn't feel like you need to reset to get a good score. Each scenario generated by the rng of sabers or whatever should be relatively equal in difficulty in lower tiers
  • Options
    The changes sound good and they are welcome. Thank you for listening.
  • Options
    Do us all one favor, test it, test it, test it, close test it, open test it, and get it right. If there is another roll out and roll back, a lot of players will be gone for good. Take the time needed and please, listen to the feedback.
  • Options
    Overall I love these changes, so great job.

My question though is why does P3 still get to be random on heroic?
    In Phase 3 you fight Traya solo and we felt removing the RNG would make this too straightforward of a fight. In general we saw phases 1 and 4 were the largest pain points for Guilds working up to Heroic.
  • Options
    jursllla wrote: »
    LOL why do the noobs gets easier p3 ? .It will come as a chock to them when reaching Heroic. We are 126mill guild who farmed for heroic sith for months and p3 takes many hours as most of us gotta reload 30-40-50 times to get perfect start on the sabres. I am usually very positive to cg changes but this is realy bad.

When recruiting the heroic raids dudes who doesnt even have good teams for p3 will think they are amazing in the raid but cant even do damage in heroic haha

Because the raid is heavily unbalanced in favor of whales and vets and that in turn has caused so much outrage. Its finally nice to see them do something for the rest if the community, instead of krakens, whales and vets...6 months later but at least something.

The newer players and mid tier players needed help because this broke raid was causing guilds to collapse and people to quit the game.
    Losing players=losing money.

So I am glad that they are handling some of the issues. They just need to flat out remove nahillus protection and with these other changes, this raid should be less horrible...note I didn't say more exciting just less horrible.
    Its the right move and a fair move for the rest of the community, not the top 10%.
  • Options
    Thank you for listening to the community. This is fantastic! Cannot wait for the changes.
  • Options
    I am one of the “lucky” few who can do 2 or so HSTR per week as I’m in a really decent guild. I usually place in top 30 or top 20. I unlocked Traya 2 raids ago and haven’t played that raid since then, the rng frustration added into garbage rewards is rubbish. For all those who benefit from these changes, I’m super happy for you folk though, it’s about time they played fairer with yous. Just don’t expect decent rewards when you reach Heroic , not including the Traya shards.
  • Options
    How about making g8 and g9 and maybe g10 more accessible in sith raid heroic? Seems that if a player can blow through rancor in under 10 mins and nearly solo hAAT and doing heroic sith, getting characters to g10 should be more simple and quicker than it is on mass. I mean we can get most to g7 without breaking a sweat but beyond that it tends to be a grind. G11 and G12 and G12+ can still be a grind, but come on, under that should be quicker than it is for advanced players, right? You can always make new walls for the whales to buy gear but loosen up on some of these barriers to get a character useable. Thanks.
  • Options
    This sounds like excellent progress, thanks!
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Madpup
    279 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Did I read that right that you plan on making changes to RNG factors in tiers 1-5, but in tiers 6 and heroic they are going to remain the same? Your just going to make it that much harder to reach heroic because people can't practice the mechanics they are going to end up seeing in heroic. This is coming from a guy whos in a guild running tier 5, either change the RNG encounters for all tiers or don't touch it period.

On top of that while we have NO IDEA what effect these changes will have on the lower tiers, you are now giving MORE REWARDS to the higher tiers in the form of Mod Slicing materials. Now these people who already got a huge boost from getting guaranteed gear 12 pieces for months, and who have had exclusive access to gear 12+ for the past 6ish weeks, will now have even greater access to new mod materials.

On top of this you still haven't addressed one of the biggest issues in that the raid doesn't help you gear your characters to move up to higher tiers. While reducing the amount of challenge gear will net me more harder to get gear, it doesn't matter if that harder to get gear doesn't help me get my characters up to a gear level to take on the next tier of the raid. Tier 5 recommends that I use gear 10 characters and tier 6 recommends gear 11. So if I'm doing tier 5 all my teams should be at gear 10 already... so why in the hell am I being rewarded gear that is only helping me get my characters up to gear 9-10 while I am getting nothing to actually help me get my characters up to gear 11. Rancor gives me more gear to help me reach gear 11.

Again at the end of the day challenge gear should have been taken care of months ago. The RNG and health pools should have been taken care of months ago. You don't get a pat on the back for turning in work late and it certainly doesn't mean you get a pass for further increasing rewards for higher tiers while still not rewarding the lower tiers in a way that will actually help them progress. A the end of the day I'm still going to get rewarded stun cuffs and stun guns from hitting auto on a 15 minute rancor run while I get mk 3 holos and mk 6 syringes for putting in 2 hours of work on a tier 5 Sith. You clearly haven't fixed the problem.
  • Options
    So... I LOVE all these changes, but in the back of my head, I hear, "removal of challenge gear" and just think we'll have an even bigger Carbanti crunch. I'll certainly be glad to get other things though... just a thought. ^_^
This discussion has been closed.