Credit Crunch

Replies

• scuba
    14049 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    m0rality wrote: »
    Scuba, I am not F2P. I have probably spent $500-700 on the game. My point is that I pretty much stopped spending this week because my toons are stagnating. I can no longer materially improve my team given its maturity and size. My response to this has not been to spend more...it is to stop spending because it is futile. That is not what I want, nor is it what EA wants.

I don't disagree with the not spending and I remember your opening statement about not spending money on credits and hey it is your money do with it what you please.

The credit situation has been in the game since the beginning, yes they nerfed the credit event which made it somewhat worse.

Four resources are needed to "max" a character out.
    Gear/Shards/TD/Credits

Most are willing to "pay" to get 2/4 faster but not 3/4. I just find it interesting. It is like a hard line in the sand.

• Options
    scuba wrote: »
    Scuba, I am not F2P. I have probably spent $500-700 on the game. My point is that I pretty much stopped spending this week because my toons are stagnating. I can no longer materially improve my team given its maturity and size. My response to this has not been to spend more...it is to stop spending because it is futile. That is not what I want, nor is it what EA wants.

I don't disagree with the not spending and I remember your opening statement about not spending money on credits and hey it is your money do with it what you please.

The credit situation has been in the game since the beginning, yes they nerfed the credit event which made it somewhat worse.

Four resources are needed to "max" a character out.
    Gear/Shards/TD/Credits

Most are willing to "pay" to get 2/4 faster but not 3/4. I just find it interesting. It is like a hard line in the sand.

Yeah...It is hard to explain why I won't do it. But I am not the only one. EA needs to look at their consumer habits a bit more in my opinion to maximize their revenue and player experience. In this instance I believe that they can satisfy both objectives.
  • Mittens
    967 posts Member
    Options

Not exactly true. It used to cost half as much to get a character to max level. When it cost 1.1 mil to max a characters level, 595 crystals would get you 525k, GW would get you 450k. Now it costs 2.4 mil to max a character, 595 crystals will get you 525k, GW will get you 450k. Next cap it will cost another 1+ mil to max a character. 595 crystals would still get you 525k, GW will still get you 450k.

The value of 1 credit is half of what it was when 60 was the cap.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah...It is hard to explain why I won't do it. But I am not the only one. EA needs to look at their consumer habits a bit more in my opinion to maximize their revenue and player experience. In this instance I believe that they can satisfy both objectives.

I know. When I see it I just find it interesting.
  • Options
    @m0rality

I am level 70. I dont have this obscene amount of characters to level. I am also doing the Jedi event and have 5 characters that will be going to 7 star this week plus I need to get Yoda from 1-70. I have plenty of credits to do all that. What more do people want to be able to do. You shouldnt be able to level an unlimited amount of characters for free.
  • klay
    76 posts Member
    Options
    Chef5 wrote: »
    I had to buy a credits pack for the first time for todays GW, I couldnt finish GW. level 70 purple gear teams on the last two battles was too much for me.

Those that can finish GW on a daily basis have it good.

Not really true. I finish GW daily and I still am feeling the credit crunch. I really didn't feel it until the last level cap update. While I have 7 mil in credits saved, I know once the level cap raises again, that won't last long at all.

The only reason I even have 7 mil now is because I have severely limited my growth of characters aside from top ones. I am not FTP but I haven't spent much either. Although, I've actually purchased a couple credit packs.

I'm not near the top of arena in my server, so I definitely am not just someone trying keep up with the big boys and not spend much actual money. However, I would like to be able to remain somewhat competitive in other aspects of the game without spending a small fortune to buy credits.

I mean, I hardly think expecting to be able to be able to max several characters after playing for nearly 4 months is trying to rush things like some are suggesting.
  • m0rality
    167 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @m0rality

I am level 70. I dont have this obscene amount of characters to level. I am also doing the Jedi event and have 5 characters that will be going to 7 star this week plus I need to get Yoda from 1-70. I have plenty of credits to do all that. What more do people want to be able to do. You shouldnt be able to level an unlimited amount of characters for free.

I am not F2P...my complaint comes from the perspective that I cannot level characters as fast as I generate shards/gear. I have 9 x 7* characters and 26 > Level 60. The interesting fact is that almost all of the characters got to Level 60 before the last increase. Since then I have had to spend all of my credits on the Top 9...stars and levels. There is no point in leveling other toons because they cannot be relevant until level 65 and 5*. That is what causes frustration... lack of interest...and loss of revenue.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    I've got 24 toons at 7*, 23 at level 70. I have shards to 7* nine more, and 6* another five. Let's say I'm not eager to see the level cap rising again. Still, I'm finally approaching a point where most of my big projects are done with and I can actually start to pick and choose more freely what to do with my credits every day. Best feeling ever.
  • Options
    If you have credits for anything you can promote at the time you want, why would credits even be needed? Think about it...it'd be like not needing it...

Think again. While we don't like this, it's how the devs plan to retire. Things are as intended.
  • m0rality
    167 posts Member
    Options
    Nonemo wrote: »
    I've got 24 toons at 7*, 23 at level 70. I have shards to 7* nine more, and 6* another five. Let's say I'm not eager to see the level cap rising again. Still, I'm finally approaching a point where most of my big projects are done with and I can actually start to pick and choose more freely what to do with my credits every day. Best feeling ever.

I can only imagine right now...I am slowing down.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    Mittens wrote: »
    Greg1920 wrote: »
    If your FTP there is no credit crunch as you Farm credits faster than you farm shards.

So the question is why are people willing to pay for shards, gear, desperately want to pay for mats but refuse to pay for credits?

Because credit values have been cut in half, while drop rates for gear/shards have not. As FTP, if it took twice as long to farm gear and shards from 60-70 as it did from 1-60, you would be upset too. credit prices have essentially doubled while everything else stayed the same.

This makes sense. The nerf to the way you played previously is most of the problem.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    As F2P I dont think the credit crunch impacts me. I have to prioritize so what. That is part of managing resources. The thing that gets me is people willing to spend a thousand dollars for some character shards. Mostly shards they couldve got for free, but wont spend 4 dollars for a credit pack.

Not sure what level you are, but I think that you would care eventually. Griding for Purple Gear, Shards, and Credits at Lvl 70 and F2P sounds really painful. The progress would only get worse >70. I guess the point that EA is making is that after level 60....you will need to pay for credits.

Free to play isn't an issue with credits if you 7 star characters. You gain about 300 shards a week FTP and need about 4.5 to max a toon and gain 4.5mil credits a week so FTP before 70 doesn't hit the crunch.

At 80 it will break though for FTP.

Gear isn't bad if you can finish top 50. As you get the 2 energy refreshes plus a cantina.
  • Options

Not exactly true. It used to cost half as much to get a character to max level. When it cost 1.1 mil to max a characters level, 595 crystals would get you 525k, GW would get you 450k. Now it costs 2.4 mil to max a character, 595 crystals will get you 525k, GW will get you 450k. Next cap it will cost another 1+ mil to max a character. 595 crystals would still get you 525k, GW will still get you 450k.

How long did it take you to get to max lv60 characters? Maybe 6 weeks I would imagine if not less. So they make new content, increase the level cap and how long will it take to get to lv70 another 3-4 weeks? People need to accept it will take longer to max characters as the level cap increases. More of all resources will be required and need to be farmed or purchased.

Your numbers are right GW will still get you 450k - so you need to do 2 more gws before you can level a character - add 2 days wait onto the previous and it's not such a big deal imo. At least the new level cap should take a bit longer to hit than another 3-4 weeks before people start complaining they're bored again.

There will always be one resource in a game like this that is harder to come by and psychologically it's the one that nobody wants to pay for. Technically there is no difference between spending your money on credits or crystals yet I always hear people say 'I refuse to spend on credits' I which doesn't seem to make sense to me.

UK/Euro guild - GrievousGenerals recruiting - lv85+ Discord @Starjumper#8384
  • Options
    Agree.

I am spending less on crystals and shard packs because I couldn't afford to level the new characters anyway. And I'm not going to add an EXTRA layer of expense whereby every level of character progress (that you already paid for) requires yet more expenditure on credits.

Getting the shards and gear is hard enough and expensive enough. Not being able to use them once you have them is just frustrating, and the prohibitive costs of maxing out (already expensive) characters does nothing for diversity and experimentation.
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    Options
    Why should everyone have enough credits to instantly promote everything. Choiches have to be made, priority has to be given.

Entitlement is strong in this one. Every game has a credit crunch, if you are not willing to pay you gotta have patience.
    Seems like if you don't have patience you shouldn't be playing this game from the start.

Credits are fine, players are just feeling entitled again.
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Options
    CronozNL wrote: »
    Why should everyone have enough credits to instantly promote everything. Choiches have to be made, priority has to be given.

Entitlement is strong in this one. Every game has a credit crunch, if you are not willing to pay you gotta have patience.
    Seems like if you don't have patience you shouldn't be playing this game from the start.

Credits are fine, players are just feeling entitled again.

Straw man argument.

No one has said we ought to be able to instantly promote everything, just a better balance than what we have now.
  • Mittens
    967 posts Member
    Options
    Starjumper wrote: »

How long did it take you to get to max lv60 characters? Maybe 6 weeks I would imagine if not less. So they make new content, increase the level cap and how long will it take to get to lv70 another 3-4 weeks? People need to accept it will take longer to max characters as the level cap increases. More of all resources will be required and need to be farmed or purchased.

Your numbers are right GW will still get you 450k - so you need to do 2 more gws before you can level a character - add 2 days wait onto the previous and it's not such a big deal imo. At least the new level cap should take a bit longer to hit than another 3-4 weeks before people start complaining they're bored again.

There will always be one resource in a game like this that is harder to come by and psychologically it's the one that nobody wants to pay for. Technically there is no difference between spending your money on credits or crystals yet I always hear people say 'I refuse to spend on credits' I which doesn't seem to make sense to me.

It's not that people don't want to pay for credits, it's that they essentially doubled the cost of them. I've spent hundreds on credit packs alone when 60 was the cap and early into 70. When 2 credit packs could get you from 1-60, now it takes 4 to get you from 1-70. If they doubled the crystal refreshes for energy or shards, there will be a lot less people willing to pay those costs. If they doubled the cost of crystals, many people would quit buying them. People aren't upset that credit costs have increased. They are upset because the means to acquire them did not rise in proportion.

Think about the new players who are level 30 right now. they will have a much harder time getting credits to have more than 5 characters than we did because we started earlier and have been at the cap longer. Why should new players be punished by constantly chasing the cap with characters getting nerfed and buffed, and no way outside of spending real money to be able to adjust or catch up?
  • Options
    At level 30 the costs to level a character are almost nothing. Stop whining.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    MackemSLAM wrote: »
    Getting the shards and gear is hard enough and expensive enough. Not being able to use them once you have them is just frustrating, and the prohibitive costs of maxing out (already expensive) characters does nothing for diversity and experimentation.

Agreed.
    I don't spend real-world cash on non-premium currency in mobile games. Ever.
    Make no mistake (and don't listen to bogus "entitlement" claims) -- they deliberately created this situation with multiple moves to reduce credit availability:
    - Removing the ability to sell gear with no valid reason (and it was claimed they did this because "they needed the space in the UI", which if true, was obviously not anything imminent).
    - Making the credit event 6x worse rather than making it better as they implied they would.
    - Reducing the net effect of bonus multipliers even if you buy credit packs.
    It was all done on purpose, and entirely to try to squeeze even more money out of a game where they are already making a fortune. Pure, unbridled greed, nothing more, nothing less.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    i just made a post about credits about 2 weeks ago - totally starved of credits...but you know what it's all cyclical i've come to realize - now i'm heavy on credits and training droids and just need shards...it will come back where you are credit heavy again. it's just that they want to slow the game down at a certain point so others can catch up. i dont think they've got the formula down just right - def could use some tweaking but it's not broken i;ve come to realize
  • Options
    hearing complains like that makes me feel that it's worth to hold back my arena power and complete GW daily.
  • Terrai
    117 posts Member
    Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    It was all done on purpose, and entirely to try to squeeze even more money out of a game where they are already making a fortune. Pure, unbridled greed, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm afraid I have to agree. I was initially impressed by how friendly this game is for non-whales. A lot of people are consistently near the top of their servers without spending much. These past few moves have gone against that: impassable GW, Grievous' shard shop rates, credit events, and hinting at raising the level cap.

If things continue going this way, the whales will be swimming at the top alone. As others have said, the costs are increasing exponentially with level cap increases, but the income hasn't budged.
  • m0rality
    167 posts Member
    Options
    Agree.

I am spending less on crystals and shard packs because I couldn't afford to level the new characters anyway. And I'm not going to add an EXTRA layer of expense whereby every level of character progress (that you already paid for) requires yet more expenditure on credits.

HERE IS THE POINT ^^^^ It is killing the game for paying players. It doesn't matter if it is fair or not. The point is that players are responding by spending less, not more. That is not good for the game...
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    Options

Agreed.
    Make no mistake (and don't listen to bogus "entitlement" claims) -- they deliberately created this situation with multiple moves to reduce credit availability:
    - Removing the ability to sell gear with no valid reason (and it was claimed they did this because "they needed the space in the UI", which if true, was obviously not anything imminent).
    - Making the credit event 6x worse rather than making it better as they implied they would.

Somebody lock them up for violating.... ohw wait... it's their game. Entitlement is the correct word.
    I'm reading strawman again by someone, most overused word around these forums next to entitlement.
    But tell me, why are people complaining about a lack of credits? Because they want to gear and level faster than they do now but don't want to spend money on it. Patience is a virtue.
    Remember Clash of Clans where you have to wait 2 weeks on an upgrade or where you pay insane amounts of real time money for ingame currency?
    This ain't the only game where it is happening and I'm sorry some people have a hard time making choices.
    If we have it your way (buy all toons first and level them in a month?), the game will be over in 6 months.
  • Options
    Starjumper wrote: »

It's not that people don't want to pay for credits, it's that they essentially doubled the cost of them. I've spent hundreds on credit packs alone when 60 was the cap and early into 70. When 2 credit packs could get you from 1-60, now it takes 4 to get you from 1-70. If they doubled the crystal refreshes for energy or shards, there will be a lot less people willing to pay those costs. If they doubled the cost of crystals, many people would quit buying them. People aren't upset that credit costs have increased. They are upset because the means to acquire them did not rise in proportion.

Think about the new players who are level 30 right now. they will have a much harder time getting credits to have more than 5 characters than we did because we started earlier and have been at the cap longer. Why should new players be punished by constantly chasing the cap with characters getting nerfed and buffed, and no way outside of spending real money to be able to adjust or catch up?

I think it is that people don't want to pay for credits + that people want everything straight away. The cost of credits may have gone up but at the end of the day is it a ridiculous price? Not really. Somebody at EA probably got fired for setting their pricing model incorrectly in the first instance.

Again this stems down to lack of patience. I've already quoted clash of clans timescales to put this game into perspective. The fact is there are plenty of ways to obtain credits but people don't think they can get enough.

Regarding new lv30 players - Tbh they wont know any different (until they read the forum) and when you say at the end - 'with no way to adjust or catch up' well new players aren't supposed to catch up - at least not in a short space of time.

I hope people realise that when prices are set about 30% goes to apple or Google and then there's 20% (for uk) VAT. To be honest the credit prices are probably the most reasonable and realistic. People pay £14.99 for an 8 x chromium pack which only guarantees 1 character. Tbh I'm surprised people don't complain more about that as if it were cheaper people would buy more as it's the main way to gain new characters.

In summary - an extra few days of GW to take each character to lv70 isn't a big deal
    UK/Euro guild - GrievousGenerals recruiting - lv85+ Discord @Starjumper#8384
  • papnwors
    749 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Agreed.

Requoted for absolute truth. Honestly people who disagree either feel like suckers for spending money on credits or just aren't high enough level to understand the problems.

As other have stated and I am in the same boat that people will pay less and less for crystals to unlock toons that just sit there staring at you because you can never afford to level them. Chromium packs have become absolutely useless.

You can unlock them, and sacrifice actually getting some tangible progression but who who do that and neglect a toon of higher level for weeks on end? It's blatantly stupid and it's bad game design, end of story.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

That is true and since it was done on purpose I don't understand why it is expected for EA/CG to suddenly change their mind.
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    Options
    This is ofcourse from a PvP point of view. Why does it matter if you take it slow? You got your main squad maxed already and probably a B and C team. If the meta switches again, don't panic but save up to make those changes.
    Does it matter for GW if you have half a roster unranked? Or does it matter for simming battles?

Only thing that makes sense here is PvP because you want to swap out characters to adjust to meta changes like RG is now. I haven't read any reasons why people want it changed, their personal agenda is never spoken of.

That the credit value is cut in half is logic in these games. Again clash of clans has the exact same economy where it is tempting to buy ingame curreny at the start but in no way worth it endgame. Why do people want to rank faster? I for one feel the reward is greater if it took me longer to get there. Investing time (farm) is committing you to this game which is the point.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

That is true and since it was done on purpose I don't understand why it is expected for EA/CG to suddenly change their mind.

Well, I for one, don't. The fact that there have been literally hundreds of complaints and they have responded to exactly zero of them reinforces that this is deliberate and they simply do not care that we don't like it.
    It hasn't really affected how much I spend on crystals, I still buy them in large packs and use them slowly over a period of several weeks. What it has affected is my enjoyment of the game. I have now more than 10 characters with enough shards to be viable but not enough credits to level them up.
    I refuse to reward their actions by buying credit packs. If they do not make it more viable to earn credits in the game somehow, I will just level my characters more slowly.
    If they raise the level cap, I will basically be forced to not level any new characters for the next 2 or 3 months. As will many people. This will further increase the community's frustration as we spend all our credits just to try to get back to where we were.
    If they keep putting in events and/or game modes that require many characters to be leveled up while providing no viable means to do this, I will then re-evaluate if I want to continue to support this product or not. I absolutely will not pay one plugged nickel to buy credits and reward this blatant greed move.
    One thing is for sure: they have greatly harmed their reputation and goodwill among the community by deceiving us about the credit event and then refusing to address any and all criticism of it.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • papnwors
    749 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    CronozNL wrote: »
    This is ofcourse from a PvP point of view. Why does it matter if you take it slow? You got your main squad maxed already and probably a B and C team. If the meta switches again, don't panic but save up to make those changes.
    Does it matter for GW if you have half a roster unranked? Or does it matter for simming battles?

Only thing that makes sense here is PvP because you want to swap out characters to adjust to meta changes like RG is now. I haven't read any reasons why people want it changed, their personal agenda is never spoken of.

That the credit value is cut in half is logic in these games. Again clash of clans has the exact same economy where it is tempting to buy ingame curreny at the start but in no way worth it endgame. Why do people want to rank faster? I for one feel the reward is greater if it took me longer to get there. Investing time (farm) is committing you to this game which is the point.

It's got nothing to do with PVP, this is a game of collecting toons, of using them, and experimenting, having fun with different characters. It's not a game solely about PVP, in fact that is a tiny part of the experience.

The fact is that we ALL want to try different characters but we are being punished for maybe choosing the wrong toons when we started and knew little, or that we want to now level up toons we never had access to before.

Now it's practically impossible to get toons to a decent level, enough to actually be viable without sacraficing our top characters for weeks on end which is ridiculous, to such an extent that is is gimping the entire experience and annoying 100s if not 1000s of players.
    It's killing progression and it's killing the game

The point is credits do not increase as the need for them does. Sure they don't have to increase at the same scale, but 300 odd credits for a sim when you're lacking 1.5million to just try get a toon to a point where you can just test them out in a LS/DS is absurd. It's money grabbing, it's immoral and it WILL kill the game we love and enjoy. It's a shame.

Every week the game slips further down the "top grossing" list on iTunes, maybe when it slips out the top 50 the players who love the game will have a voice and be listened to.

Perhaps that's what thy want, to take as much as they can off the franchise and move on?