Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• If anyone plans on lowering their gp for a more favourable match up then that is by and large cheating yourselves and your opponents. Not condescendtion just the honest truth

If you do lower your gp by getting rid of mods you might screw yourselves because the grand arena is a mini territory war so there would also be a preview phase were you need to tag in after tagging in no changes to gp or mods will count
  • Cuddlebear
    47 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Im all for having extra things to do and more ways to get stuff. The one thing I really hope for is that tw and grand arena have very strong but very different character and faction bonuses, so you are actually encouraged/rewarded to develop a broad roster instead of just repeating the same 4-6 meta teams we already face in arena and tw. I like the idea of getting to choose between developing teams for myself or more guild focused teams.

Maybe a grievous rework or bonus that makes him a total nightsister killer. Maybe disallow Revan and traya entirely, or have super buffs like mace in tw that discourage them. Maybe faction bonuses for separatists, Jawas, and droids to give them some relevance.
  • Darth gizmo awaits.
  • TVF wrote: »
    Prizes include GK, Jango and GG.

Prizes are limited to a 2.7% chance to drop a single shard of a (sort of) CW-related toon, of which there is a 1% chance of getting one of the useful ones.

Nah, I hope guild shop gear(More Guild Tokens please) and maybe clone wars chewbacca shards? Although. It would be nice to choose your own shards with a win
    "When life gives you lemons, throw them at someone"
  • 1337Lucifer
    1 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    :p
    Post edited by 1337Lucifer on
  • @CG_SBCrumb I hope that the devs get creative with Grand Arena and allow for a variety of territories (map zones) that require 1-character, 3-characters, and 6-characters squads (I.e not the standard 5-character squad). I think I first heard CubsFanHan suggest this, and it would create new dynamics within the game and encourage new types of theory-crafting. Just the simple move away from 5-character squads would be interesting.
  • So I'm sure this is going to be officially announced in December some time? Really don't like TW anyways, but I'll give it a go, should be some solid fun right? :)
  • There have been a lot of discussion and advices on how to artificially dump our collection GP to be matched against weaker opponents.

I think this goes against the spirit of the game and I hope they implement a bracket system of rewards such that losing on a higher brackets provides better rewards than winning on a lower bracket: this would provide incentives to both develop a wide and deep roster.

Otherwise, CGs will just create new QoL burden which is called: remove as much mods as possible to dump your GP before Grande Arena to get match against even opponents (with possibly much weaker opponents).

Oh in the datamine there has been a line of code stating that in case of a tie, higher GP wins, but this also goes against the spirit of the game about resources maximizing. Someone who can get the same amount of points with less GP is a better player...
  • LASH_swgoh wrote: »
    @CG_SBCrumb I hope that the devs get creative with Grand Arena and allow for a variety of territories (map zones) that require 1-character, 3-characters, and 6-characters squads (I.e not the standard 5-character squad). I think I first heard CubsFanHan suggest this, and it would create new dynamics within the game and encourage new types of theory-crafting. Just the simple move away from 5-character squads would be interesting.

Worst idea ever. Most players develop 5 toons teams, and toons have been balanced for 5 toons squads.

Imagine you have a single unbeatable toon in own territory with no counter except better mods. Do you want the whole outcome of the war decided by a single toon?
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Neo2551 wrote: »
    There have been a lot of discussion and advices on how to artificially dump our collection GP to be matched against weaker opponents.

I think this goes against the spirit of the game and I hope they implement a bracket system of rewards such that losing on a higher brackets provides better rewards than winning on a lower bracket: this would provide incentives to both develop a wide and deep roster.

Otherwise, CGs will just create new QoL burden which is called: remove as much mods as possible to dump your GP before Grande Arena to get match against even opponents (with possibly much weaker opponents).

Oh in the datamine there has been a line of code stating that in case of a tie, higher GP wins, but this also goes against the spirit of the game about resources maximizing. Someone who can get the same amount of points with less GP is a better player...

I agree, except GP you can drop by dumping mods is miniscule. Imo the algo has to take in account the useless portion of our rosters. i.e. I have everything fully leveled, have all my mods leveled. This doesn't mean my roster is more powerful than someone who did the bare minimum.
  • Will this lead to us removing 70% of the mods from our rosters so that we get a better GP match-up?

No way, no how. It has taken me probably a hundred hours or more to perfect my mod arrangements. Anyone that's randomly placing and removing mods isn't going to do well anyway. And I say anyone that wants to spend all the hours putting all their mods back has put in the extra effort to gain an advantage so let em get their 5,000 GP advantage.
  • With 8 sections to defend and attack roosters are going to be soread pretty thin. Thats 16 squads needed to participate. Sounds like its time to increase the availability of gear!!!! 16 squads 16 :o
  • I think what Grand Arena needs is a new shipment, where you can spend grand arena tokens that you earn based on your rank to buy shards of marquee characters, omegas, and bottleneck gear such as mk5 stun guns and mk8 biotech implants. Probably not going to happen though.
  • The issue that no one is bringing up regarding dropping mods is that you will be losing out on a lot of actual fighting power by doing so. Consider if you had 2.8k Gp with mods and you were somehow able to drop a whole 100k by dropping mods (impossible I know, just a hypothetical situation) you know have 2.7 Gp, but literally no mods on your toons. Have you tried an arena battle recently with a 160 speed thrawn? How about a GK with only 45k protection? Didn’t end well did it?

Dropping mods would be a much greater negative impact on your ability to fight/defend than the minute amount of GP it would save.
  • The issue that no one is bringing up regarding dropping mods is that you will be losing out on a lot of actual fighting power by doing so. Consider if you had 2.8k Gp with mods and you were somehow able to drop a whole 100k by dropping mods (impossible I know, just a hypothetical situation) you know have 2.7 Gp, but literally no mods on your toons. Have you tried an arena battle recently with a 160 speed thrawn? How about a GK with only 45k protection? Didn’t end well did it?

Dropping mods would be a much greater negative impact on your ability to fight/defend than the minute amount of GP it would save.

Drop mods on the toons below G8
  • Lol people already have full mod capacity. Where are you putting all these removed mods and this game uses a feature that locks your characters for events like this. A large percentage of this thread seem to not know this.
  • 3pourr2 wrote: »
    Lol people already have full mod capacity. Where are you putting all these removed mods and this game uses a feature that locks your characters for events like this. A large percentage of this thread seem to not know this.

You probably shouldn’t criticize people without reading what they are talking about first...
  • TVF wrote: »
    Prizes include GK, Jango and GG.

Prizes are limited to a 2.7% chance to drop a single shard of a (sort of) CW-related toon, of which there is a 1% chance of getting one of the useful ones.

1%? Someone's a dreamer.
  • Tynnribbe wrote: »
    Don’t like the initial sound of it — sounds like the Grand Whale Arena. But only time will tell.

Why? You meet people on same GP...

You mean like in tw now?
  • 3pourr2 wrote: »
    Lol people already have full mod capacity. Where are you putting all these removed mods and this game uses a feature that locks your characters for events like this. A large percentage of this thread seem to not know this.

You probably shouldn’t criticize people without reading what they are talking about first...

Several post about dropping mods to lower gp to try and gain an advantage. Nothing wrong with pointing out bad ideas to reduce the worries of many players.Pretty sure this and my statement before are just even if you took it personally.
  • I'd buy that for a dollar...

I love that robo cop reference, lol
  • Looking forward to it.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Tynnribbe wrote: »
    Don’t like the initial sound of it — sounds like the Grand Whale Arena. But only time will tell.

Why? You meet people on same GP...

You mean like in tw now?

You picked an interesting time to write that. Actually we don't know how tw is -now-. We'll see in a day as the new algo already went into effect.
  • I havent read this whole thread so not sure if this has been mentioned, but with grand arena coming up, I would like to suggest the sale of zetas to players after a certain start date. I started around April of 2017 and the biggest disadvantage in both TW and grand arena is that no matter what I spend in the game, I cannot catch up in zetas to players that started before me. As such, when matched up with comparable GP (I am aprox 4.5 million), I will almost always be matched up with players that have many more zetas than I do and a distinct advantage. The opportunity to purchase zetas would help even the playing field.
  • I havent read this whole thread so not sure if this has been mentioned, but with grand arena coming up, I would like to suggest the sale of zetas to players after a certain start date. I started around April of 2017 and the biggest disadvantage in both TW and grand arena is that no matter what I spend in the game, I cannot catch up in zetas to players that started before me. As such, when matched up with comparable GP (I am aprox 4.5 million), I will almost always be matched up with players that have many more zetas than I do and a distinct advantage. The opportunity to purchase zetas would help even the playing field.

If they do allow us to buy zetas then all those players who already have a lot more zetas than you will buy them and be able to seta many more toons.
  • Why is it “Grand,” and not “Great?” Is it owned by Republicans?

Not necessarily that much of an advantage. Older players would have zetad characters a new player would never even consider.

Cody, zaul, vader lead etc
  • Solution.

Ensure mods don't count toward GP.

..... The common sense is real
  • Shaunyvee wrote: »
    Solution.

Ensure mods don't count toward GP.

..... The common sense is real

You’d better not complain when you get matched up against someone who whaled out on 6 dot mods and has 7 full teams full of them.
  • By the sounds of what I'm reading here, that's gonna happen anyway?