[Updated w/ Dev Response] PSA: DST has Shifted ALL In-Game Clocks/Timers and Arena Payout Time

Replies

• Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    Options
    1 hour change can obviously affect people differently depending on what they need to do in a day, what if they want to play arena for the hour before payout, and now that hour is during karate class or something like that? obviously they wont be able to do it anymore. People have spent months getting into a routine, now thats is changed all of a sudden it can be hard for some people to adjust based on their schedule, most people dont just sit around all day and play this game, they have lives too
    ^This. If I knew 3 months ago that the standard-for-everyone times would change, then I may not have bothered investing so much time and grinding effort in the first place.
    Spartamaj wrote: »
    Seriously guys!,? Your life must be really hard if you can t adapt to a little 1 hour change... in a video game. This is beyond me , really. ..
    I can adapt just fine, but possibly not in a way that keeps me competitive *in* the game. Which would mean leaving for another. I'm certainly not going to adapt *the rest of my real life* for it.
    StarSon wrote: »
    Also... while mildly annoying, I think people are making this a bigger issue than it is. It is unfortunate, but so what? The only thing that even matters is Arena, and no one is happy with it anyway.
    Getting the bonus energy matters quite a bit, since it's part of what allows you to farm *for* Arena. And, as you said, it matters significantly for Arena itself. That's actually a pretty big deal!
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    This is the official forum. People call reddit the official forum simply because some devs actually post there. The real question is why CG/EA do not encourage their devs to post here (when they post at all). Probably an internal CG policy.
    IMO, the real real question is why the people who are supposed to be answering customer concerns and questions aren't.
    Nobody cared about devs moonlighting on Reddit when people from CG and EA were also participating here regularly. Those devs should be commended for at least making an effort to keep us informed when whatever areas of the company are supposed to be taking care of this job simply aren't.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    @Rolf - What is the impact that is so major that it has you considering quitting? Just curious.
  • ioniancat21
    2091 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I personally like the 7PM end to Arena since I won't have to play my potential first rounds in transit from work but this was not a planned change and that is the issue.

This is an oversight, like many other "changes" by EA/CG on a game they barely seem to care about and that is the problem here. They don't seem to care about this game or the quality of the content produced, as if they make no money running it and it's quite the opposite I believe. If they lose money here, it's their fault completely and owning that is crucial....
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    On the "official forums" a dev has already weighed in saying they don't plan to change this.
    [UPDATE]

Here's the Dev response from Reddit:
    I'm going to follow up on the DST thing, and I can't go in to too much detail here (don't ask me why, I sincerely don't know why I can't talk about certain things), but I don't believe we are adjusting for DST for multiple reasons, the first of which is that there are time zones that do not adjust for DST, and setting up something for specific TZ is problematic.

Details. I don't really know them.

If I learn more and I can share, I will. However, don't expect a DST adjustment at this time.

Looks like nothing is changing anytime soon.

I think the bigger question here is now why is THIS not the official forum and Reddit is...?

This is the official forum. People call reddit the official forum simply because some devs actually post there. The real question is why CG/EA do not encourage their devs to post here (when they post at all). Probably an internal CG policy.

Also... while mildly annoying, I think people are making this a bigger issue than it is. It is unfortunate, but so what? The only thing that even matters is Arena, and no one is happy with it anyway.

The Devs on Reddit are posting on their own accord. It's not their job to do so and they're not get paid for it. They're just trying to help out the community and Reddit is their preferred medium. I don't see why we have to keep patronizing these Devs for being helpful. Would you prefer they stop posting, giving us even less info then we already have?

Edit: This isn't directed at you, but rather people who are angry with the Reddit Devs for not posting here.

Personally, I would prefer that they post here as well, regardless of their other posting activities. Their lack of involvement on this forum, to me, is another indication of their poor management (i.e. the policies of their managers). In this type of game, in this day and age, the developers should be encouraged (within limits, as seen even on reddit) to participate here first.

Yes, but you're forgetting that it's not their official job to post anything. If they were forced (or encouraged) to post here, I'm sure they would refrain from posting anything at all. The community here is toxic and they would be tagged and called out in every other post. This isn't exactly the most Dev-friendly forum. :#
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Rolf - What is the impact that is so major that it has you considering quitting? Just curious.
    The one that I really wish they'd change back is the last energy boost pushing to 10P. I really try to be asleep before that most nights since I'm usually at work by 6:30.
    I also suspect that the move of Arena payout to 7 is going to crush me, but I'm willing to give that some time to see how it shakes out.

I also don't like change. Just ask my wife. :p
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    @Rolf - I don't like that one either as I am usually getting ready for bed around then, but it's not as bad for me as you.
    Hang in there. In the grand scheme it isn't a lot. (Maybe if your wife stays up later you could ask her to grab it for you? :) )
    P.S. Nobody likes change.
  • Options
    Lol, what a joke.

Example: One has to log in on the 15th March to obtain 4 Magmatrooper shards. He logs in at 00:30. Perfectly reasonable as it is still the 15th March. He doesn't log in for the rest of the day and doesn't receive his shards. He then doesn't receive the achievement for logging in every day of the month, even though he actually did log in on the 15th of March.

My hopes for this game keep getting quashed by poor, poor management by CG.

Up your game, literally.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Options
    Lol, what a joke.

Example: One has to log in on the 15th March to obtain 4 Magmatrooper shards. He logs in at 00:30. Perfectly reasonable as it is still the 15th March. He doesn't log in for the rest of the day and doesn't receive his shards. He then doesn't receive the achievement for logging in every day of the month, even though he actually did log in on the 15th of March.

Up your game, literally.

True, daily rewards are now technically not daily rewards but 24 hour rewards (for the majority of the player base that is).

But really, who only logs in between 12 and 1 a.m.? Nobody. ;)
  • Options
    Lol, what a joke.

Up your game, literally.

Got to agree now the reset falls an hour into the day. I am typically in bed by 1am, some night 2am and up at 6am to care for my dog and a family member before my day begins. Most days I can get on all throughout the day, but that is because I have taken a bit of a job hiatus to tend to more important things. I have decided to start a gig up on the 1st, and now I may on those work days not be able to be on besides that 12am-1/2am window, so I'll lose logins on days I'm not up past 1am, and I may not be able to finish everything because of the lost time.

This impacts a lot of people who invested time and/or money. Sure it is 1 hour, however it is 1 hour adjusted multiple times throughout the day. Midnight to 1am, noon-1pm, 6pm-7pm, 9pm-10pm so that could really impact some people.

Luckily for me I do not sleep much so I can adapt, but the daytime changes have me a bit hosed and I'll lose out on arena(top 5 daily 1 often) and 2 bonus energy most days.
  • Options
    Lol, what a joke.

Up your game, literally.

True, daily rewards are now technically not daily rewards but 24 hour rewards (for the majority of the player base that is).

I do most of my gameplay between 11pm and 1am.
  • Options
    Lol, what a joke.

Up your game, literally.

How about Arena? Surely you have a second during your Arena battles to collect the daily reward.
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    On the "official forums" a dev has already weighed in saying they don't plan to change this.
    [UPDATE]

I'm going to follow up on the DST thing, and I can't go in to too much detail here (don't ask me why, I sincerely don't know why I can't talk about certain things), but I don't believe we are adjusting for DST for multiple reasons, the first of which is that there are time zones that do not adjust for DST, and setting up something for specific TZ is problematic.

If I learn more and I can share, I will. However, don't expect a DST adjustment at this time.

I think the bigger question here is now why is THIS not the official forum and Reddit is...?

The Devs on Reddit are posting on their own accord. It's not their job to do so and they're not get paid for it. They're just trying to help out the community and Reddit is their preferred medium. I don't see why we have to keep patronizing these Devs for being helpful. Would you prefer they stop posting, giving us even less info then we already have?

Edit: This isn't directed at you, but rather people who are angry with the Reddit Devs for not posting here.

Personally, I would prefer that they post here as well, regardless of their other posting activities. Their lack of involvement on this forum, to me, is another indication of their poor management (i.e. the policies of their managers). In this type of game, in this day and age, the developers should be encouraged (within limits, as seen even on reddit) to participate here first.

Yes, but you're forgetting that it's not their official job to post anything. If they were forced (or encouraged) to post here, I'm sure they would refrain from posting anything at all. The community here is toxic and they would be tagged and called out in every other post. This isn't exactly the most Dev-friendly forum. :#

I do not forget it is not their official job to post things. But CG should encourage them to post here, if they are posting anywhere. Because this is their forum. Not reddit.

And if the community is so toxic that they simply cannot post, they should not be permitted to post game details anywhere.

I do not disagree that they are to be commended for trying (even if it is on reddit), but I am annoyed with their management for the practice. This is the game's forum. If the game's personnel are to post anything about it anywhere, it should at least start here. If they want to also post on reddit, then fine.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    This isn't about who it works better for and who it doesn't. It's about consistency, plain and simple.

CG/EA decided a long time ago (in a galaxy somewhere in California), that EVERYONE would have a midnight reset, 18:00 arena payout and bonus energy at 12:00, 18:00 & 20:00. ALL players based on where they were when they installed the game - without regard to actual "home" location, without regard to travel, without regard to anything...it was unchangeable and permanently set...until now.

Now a large contingency of players has to "adjust" - and will again a few months from now - and a few months after that, etc.

Why? Poor planning/management. And apparently it's not getting corrected - why? Same reasons.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Lol, what a joke.

Up your game, literally.

How about Arena? Surely you have a second during your Arena battles to collect the daily reward.

Yeah, that was just an example. I haven't been affected by the DST change yet. I think mine changes in a couple of weeks or something.
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    Rolf wrote: »
    Getting the bonus energy matters quite a bit, since it's part of what allows you to farm *for* Arena. And, as you said, it matters significantly for Arena itself. That's actually a pretty big deal!

The bonus energy is... a bonus. Meaning, in addition to, free of charge, because they felt like being nice. Is it unfortunate that some people might miss out on the last one of the day now? Sure it is. But since it was just something they threw in for kicks, you should not be upset about it.

And as for the Arena... *shrugs* No one liked that they gave them out at 1800 local time. Why should they care if we don't like that it's not at 1900? It is what it is, and it's a small difference.

The only thing that I can see that matters is cosmicturtle's example citing someone logging in at 0030 and missing a day of login rewards because the reset is now at a stupid time.
  • Options
    It's crazy to expect them to have an announcement about something so trivial on a Sunday. I'm sure there will be something out tomorrow.

Trivial? 350 million people adjust the clock and this multi-mullion dollar franchise can't sync with the official US clock? I just wasted my Arena battles for nothing.

Very amateurish. If something resets 6:00 Pm or 12:00 It should do what it must. This kind of issues are resolved in nuclear plants, airlines, and janitors going to work.

Amazed at the zero change and lack of communication. CG lead devs need to step up to the level of quality of a billion dollar franchise.

I agree it is unprofessional but to compare a mobile game to a nuclear power plant is a bit of a stretch.
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    Options
    The bonus energy is... a bonus. Meaning, in addition to, free of charge, because they felt like being nice. Is it unfortunate that some people might miss out on the last one of the day now? Sure it is. But since it was just something they threw in for kicks, you should not be upset about it.
    This would be the proper logic for dealing with a situation where they remove the bonus energy *from everyone*. (It was free, and they decided to stop doing it so everyone's impacted.) Changing it so that some people get it while others don't is a completely different situation, and should be corrected.

• Options
    [UPDATE]

I do not forget it is not their official job to post things. But CG should encourage them to post here, if they are posting anywhere. Because this is their forum. Not reddit.

And if the community is so toxic that they simply cannot post, they should not be permitted to post game details anywhere.

I do not disagree that they are to be commended for trying (even if it is on reddit), but I am annoyed with their management for the practice. This is the game's forum. If the game's personnel are to post anything about it anywhere, it should at least start here. If they want to also post on reddit, then fine.

It is my understanding that there are designated EA employee(s) whose job it is (in part) to communicate to the player base through the forums. If it just so happens that CG devs are better at communicating this information then EA employees, then that doesn't mean the former should come to the forums and do EA's job for them. Why should they?

If you want more direct information on the official forums, then EA needs to step up its communication game. This has nothing to do with CG devs.
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    This would be the proper logic for dealing with a situation where they remove the bonus energy *from everyone*. (It was free, and they decided to stop doing it so everyone's impacted.) Changing it so that some people get it while others don't is a completely different situation, and should be corrected.

It was already only helping certain people. The bonus times were 1200, 1800, 2200. How many people can play from noon to two? Surely not everyone. Second shift workers probably cannot login from 6 to 8. And someone that has to be up at 4 probably isn't going to be awake between 10 and midnight.

In fact, i have a friend here at work that can only play after everyone goes to bed, and is generally lucky to get even a single bonus energy per day. You simply cannot please everyone.
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    [UPDATE]

It is my understanding that there are designated EA employee(s) whose job it is (in part) to communicate to the player base through the forums. If it just so happens that CG devs are better at communicating this information then EA employees, then that doesn't mean the former should come to the forums and do EA's job for them. Why should they?

If you want more direct information on the official forums, then EA needs to step up its communication game. This has nothing to do with CG devs.

You misunderstand entirely. I am fully aware the devs have no compunction to post anything anywhere. I am fully aware people like EA_Jessie and CG_JohnWhatever (whose job it is to post here) exist. I do not think that CG devs should be told they have to post here. I agree the CG devs have nothing to do with the lack of communication.

What I AM saying is that if the devs are allowed to post game details, they should not be allowed to post it outside of the game's official forums, unless they are also encouraged to post it here. This is a management issue, and all it does is make CG look worse (still has nothing to do with the devs).

CG management needs to make an actual effort to have people that are on this forum daily, answering questions, posting updates, etc. It was my understanding that this was EA_Jesse, but clearly not.

A few years ago I played a game called Lord of Ultima, which was run by a studio I cannot remember, overseen by EA. That is the setup they used. They had people whose specific job duties were to interact with their customer base on the forums. As a result of this experience, I know for a fact that the lack of communication is not EA's fault, but CG's (still not the fault of CG devs, though).
  • Aero
    2972 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I just wish this game released during DLS. I'd much rather deal with half a year of 5 pm Arena and 11pm reset than this.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

It was already only helping certain people. The bonus times were 1200, 1800, 2200. How many people can play from noon to two? Surely not everyone. Second shift workers probably cannot login from 6 to 8. And someone that has to be up at 4 probably isn't going to be awake between 10 and midnight.

In fact, i have a friend here at work that can only play after everyone goes to bed, and is generally lucky to get even a single bonus energy per day. You simply cannot please everyone.

You are completely missing the point.

This isn't about pleasing anyone. It's about consistency. Those of you don't have to worry about times changing (and then changing again in a few months, etc.) have no issues. Everyone get's that. It's about consistency across the board for ALL players - which many presumed was important to CG/EA as that was the case for ALL players ALL the time. Until today.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

You are completely missing the point.

This isn't about pleasing anyone. It's about consistency. Those of you don't have to worry about times changing (and then changing again in a few months, etc.) have no issues. Everyone get's that. It's about consistency across the board for ALL players - which many presumed was important to CG/EA as that was the case for ALL players ALL the time. Until today.

Agreed.
  • Options
    [UPDATE]

You misunderstand entirely. I am fully aware the devs have no compunction to post anything anywhere. I am fully aware people like EA_Jessie and CG_JohnWhatever (whose job it is to post here) exist. I do not think that CG devs should be told they have to post here. I agree the CG devs have nothing to do with the lack of communication.

What I AM saying is that if the devs are allowed to post game details, they should not be allowed to post it outside of the game's official forums, unless they are also encouraged to post it here. This is a management issue, and all it does is make CG look worse (still has nothing to do with the devs).

CG management needs to make an actual effort to have people that are on this forum daily, answering questions, posting updates, etc. It was my understanding that this was EA_Jesse, but clearly not.

A few years ago I played a game called Lord of Ultima, which was run by a studio I cannot remember, overseen by EA. That is the setup they used. They had people whose specific job duties were to interact with their customer base on the forums. As a result of this experience, I know for a fact that the lack of communication is not EA's fault, but CG's (still not the fault of CG devs, though).

You're right, I misunderstood what you were trying to say. I still, however, disagree. There's a large community over at Reddit who dislike the format/tone of the official forums. The CG devs are trying to help out by answering legitimate questions though that medium. They should not be required (or recommended) to post the answers to all of their replies on the official forum. That's tedious and not their responsibility.

I do, however, agree that there seems to be a management issue in terms of official communication, which should be dealt with in a timely manner.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    [UPDATE]

You're right, I misunderstood what you were trying to say. I still, however, disagree. There's a large community over at Reddit who dislike the format/tone of the official forums. The CG devs are trying to help out by answering legitimate questions though that medium. They should not be required (or recommended) to post the answers to all of their replies on the official forum. That's tedious and not their responsibility.

I do, however, agree that there seems to be a management issue in terms of official communication, which should be dealt with in a timely manner.

+1

More "official" communication here would help...well, pretty much everything. Tweaks, buffs, nerfs, bug fixes, new characters, whose moving to "farmable", etc. Finding out some of this with more than 1 days notice would be very helpful for f2p players who have to much more focused and specific in their decisions about who to level, star and gear.

Heck if it weren't for the "leak" a few days ago about the Jawa event, I wouldn't have a third droid at 4* by tomorrow. Now I will - but that should have come as a result of information released here a few days ago. Not player data-mining.

• Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    [UPDATE]

+1

More "official" communication here would help...well, pretty much everything. Tweaks, buffs, nerfs, bug fixes, new characters, whose moving to "farmable", etc. Finding out some of this with more than 1 days notice would be very helpful for f2p players who have to much more focused and specific in their decisions about who to level, star and gear.

Heck if it weren't for the "leak" a few days ago about the Jawa event, I wouldn't have a third droid at 4* by tomorrow. Now I will - but that should have come as a result of information released here a few days ago. Not player data-mining.

Yep. Hopefully these weekly updates will push the forums in the right direction in terms of communication.

Though admittedly, we can only hope. :#
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    I still am not disagreeing that the devs' job includes (or should include) posting anything to any forum. But how can you argue it is unfair to not account for DST (which does not affect everyone), but at the same time applaud them for doing something that is not helpful to everyone? The devs take time out of their day to post to a forum that is not officially sanctioned by EA or CG, which I think is a lot more offensive than their deciding not to code for time zones (which is not necessarily easy).
  • klay
    76 posts Member
    Options
    [UPDATE]

I'm 100% certain this forum would change to a more postive place if there was regular communication. The major reason this place comes across as toxic, is because people want to be heard. When they don't feel heard, they gdt frustrated and can lash out. Sure, the devs would probably get an earful when they initially post here but it would get better as people hear from them consistently.
  • Options
    I still am not disagreeing that the devs' job includes (or should include) posting anything to any forum. But how can you argue it is unfair to not account for DST (which does not affect everyone), but at the same time applaud them for doing something that is not helpful to everyone? The devs take time out of their day to post to a forum that is not officially sanctioned by EA or CG, which I think is a lot more offensive than their deciding not to code for time zones (which is not necessarily easy).

We'll agree to disagree then.
    klay wrote: »
    [UPDATE]

I'm 100% certain this forum would change to a more postive place if there was regular communication. The major reason this place comes across as toxic, is because people want to be heard. When they don't feel heard, they gdt frustrated and can lash out. Sure, the devs would probably get an earful when they initially post here but it would get better as people hear from them consistently.

True, but only time will tell. ;)