Upcoming Change to Darth Malak [MERGE]

Replies

• @CG_SBCrumb haven't read the entire thread, but here's a simpler answer so you can still have a good rock paper scissors arena environment. Just make ferocity like armor shred...not a debuff, but still same stats...then make DR lead state that Sith Empire gain crit chance and speed based on ferocity stacks. Makes palp harder but not absolutely impossible for players who didn't get Revans.
  • Rudra wrote: »
    Let me start by saying that I unlocked Malak. So this is not an argument about f2p vs p2p. I am looking at consequences of these changes to the entire Sith Faction.

The inherent problem with this unique is that Malak shuts down a lot of Sith characters just by himself. Zaul lead, good bye. Sith Assassin, good bye. Darth Nihilus in Triumvirate, good bye. Palpatine, good bye. It doesn't matter whether these Sith are in the Darth Revan team or a separate comp, they aren't viable anymore. Any Sith that benefit from TM gain isn't viable anymore. You can't use them even in Darth Revan teams or otherwise. There may be more examples, but right now I can't remember them as I type.

This leads to a situation where a Sith character actively sabotages the faction it belongs to. (Well the Sith did actually sabotage themselves in lore, but I doubt the devs were tapping into that while making these changes). Imagine if General Kenobi got a change where he actively sabotaged half the Jedi in game. This change is tantamount to that.

This also leads to a very narrow option to construct even your own Darth Revan team, whether you got Malak or not. It affects everybody and takes away a lot of theory crafting option. And that is NOT GOOD for the health of a game. What the introduction of Darth Revan did was a great opportunity to theory craft a variety of Darth Revan teams, and not a cookie cutter team like Jedi Revan (everyone ran the exact same comp).

Not every different Darth Revan comp were ideal or the very best but there were options to play around with. And now a lot of options have been taken away.

So to reiterate, the problem of this change and it's consequences are more far reaching than a simple f2p and p2p issue. Eventually everyone will have Malak and this problem will still exist when that day comes. It is not a short term issue but a long term problem that will affect the portion of the Sith Faction through the lifetime of the game if this change goes through.

So I ask CG to be more imaginative in their design approach. We know you want to shut down Emperor Palpatine lead as you do not want Malak (your latest paywall character) to be overshadowed by a meta that has existed for over a year. But please do not do that in such a way that robs the Sith Faction as a whole.

This is honestly the best argument I've seen so far. @CG_Carrie @CG_SBCrumb
  • They promise rock-paper-scissors meta, but now they are destroying it. Is this meta possible at all when they are ahead pumping out money.
  • put plainly, if this change means i can no longer use thrawn to give turn meter to BSF, to avoid getting hit by faster enemy BSF CBM... then i'm pretty sure this will make me quit. this even makes sith assassin completely useless, which is outrageous. this is completely disrespectful to those of us who invested in these teams, but are at a speed disadvantage because CG made a garbage meta completely revolving around CBM, which makes BSF and DR useless if you're slower than opponent... i have malak as well, but he doesn't solve the speed problem. CBM is worse than allowing GMY to work under JKR... stupid decisions. i just can't stand getting my chain yanking around any longer. the design decisions coming from CG is completely in opposition with the people who play the game.
  • Wookye
    30 posts Member
    And meanwhile 7hmfuxobrism.gif

And meanwhile you're beating squads without Malak?
  • Tautas
    87 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    I looked at meta report in swgoh.gg Palpatine team just have 12% (8+2+2) of all rank 1.

Stop messing with characters and their abilities after same time from release... And ya, I have Malak.
  • The change to Malak is just way to over kill it completely destroys the rock-paper- scissors meta they just said they wanted. If they really just want Malak do better just make him immune to shock or have him cleanse all debuff’s off of himself; they could just make ferocity an uncleansible debuff. I mean most skills are about putting debuffs on enemies not taking them off so it would work
  • The way they change the rules is disgusting.
    Every time their expectations on a new god character are defeated by previously existing characters, they change the rules.
    They have planned that a certain character (from their precious Kotor, usuallly...) must be the Lord of the game .... no matter how ridiculously they have to change the rules to compensate what they forgot designing that character.... and this happens every single time!
    It’s something like... The horrible people in Hunger Games?! Lol
  • Ryejin
    12 posts Member
    Rudra wrote: »
    Let me start by saying that I unlocked Malak. So this is not an argument about f2p vs p2p. I am looking at consequences of these changes to the entire Sith Faction.

The inherent problem with this unique is that Malak shuts down a lot of Sith characters just by himself. Zaul lead, good bye. Sith Assassin, good bye. Darth Nihilus in Triumvirate, good bye. Palpatine, good bye. It doesn't matter whether these Sith are in the Darth Revan team or a separate comp, they aren't viable anymore. Any Sith that benefit from TM gain isn't viable anymore. You can't use them even in Darth Revan teams or otherwise. There may be more examples, but right now I can't remember them as I type.

This leads to a situation where a Sith character actively sabotages the faction it belongs to. (Well the Sith did actually sabotage themselves in lore, but I doubt the devs were tapping into that while making these changes). Imagine if General Kenobi got a change where he actively sabotaged half the Jedi in game. This change is tantamount to that.

This also leads to a very narrow option to construct even your own Darth Revan team, whether you got Malak or not. It affects everybody and takes away a lot of theory crafting option. And that is NOT GOOD for the health of a game. What the introduction of Darth Revan did was a great opportunity to theory craft a variety of Darth Revan teams, and not a cookie cutter team like Jedi Revan (everyone ran the exact same comp).

Not every different Darth Revan comp were ideal or the very best but there were options to play around with. And now a lot of options have been taken away.

So to reiterate, the problem of this change and it's consequences are more far reaching than a simple f2p and p2p issue. Eventually everyone will have Malak and this problem will still exist when that day comes. It is not a short term issue but a long term problem that will affect the portion of the Sith Faction through the lifetime of the game if this change goes through.

So I ask CG to be more imaginative in their design approach. We know you want to shut down Emperor Palpatine lead as you do not want Malak (your latest paywall character) to be overshadowed by a meta that has existed for over a year. But please do not do that in such a way that robs the Sith Faction as a whole.

This is honestly the best argument I've seen so far. @CG_Carrie @CG_SBCrumb

I missed that post, but it's well put. Need to go find and up vote it too.
  • Daishi wrote: »
    @CG_SBCrumb I also wanna know if this stop Thrawn Tm Swap and similar effects

In case it hasnt been answered yet- thrawn turnmeter swap should be unaffected. The “swap” is a different mechanic than the gain. Kind of like how health equalization can bypass healing immunity.
  • Draeth
    33 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    I don't get the point of buffing Malak against zEP teams when he's useless against JKR and a single Shock renders him helpless for the rest of the fight against DR.

Wanna know what a good and thematic buff to Malak would have been?

Unique 3: Master and Apprentice
    1. Darth Malak is immune to Shock.
    2. Darth Malak also benefits from Bastila Shan (Fallen)'s Sith Apprentice ability while she is active.
    3. Darth Malak and Bastila Shan (Fallen) also benefit from Darth Revan's Conqueror ability while he is active.
  • Agi
    65 posts Member
    This is bad!
    Really don't understand how on earth are ppl keep trusting and paying for a service run in this manner.
    Trust in business is everything and is your responsibility to test and deploy the service. If you make mistakes YOU as a company should be accountable, and the player base should not be made pay for it. Since you announced something and quickly changed it the least you can do is to refund all the material that players have invested in EP and affected toons. This would cost you nothing and at least would show considerations to all who moved to gear and zeta toons to deal with the meta shift. Terrible terrible company behavior, don't know where the fault is but is not mine to figure out your revenues aren't peanuts so just man up and act more appropriately.

PS: I have Malak at 6* so I am on the winning side (Just to say) but really disgusted by this behavior and attitude.
  • DoubleDown
    131 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Rock, Paper, Scissors!!
    Post edited by DoubleDown on
  • CosmicJ
    348 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    @Crazygone510

Stop that. The droids will be next. -.-
  • Syncho
    29 posts Member
    llldmelll wrote: »
    Hi Holotable Heroes,

In the next week we are making a change to Darth Malak’s ability, Gnawing Terror, so that it performs closer to what we initially intended:
    UNIQUE 1:
    DESCRIPTION: Darth Malak has a 25% chance to Taunt for 1 turn whenever an enemy is inflicted with Shock. Sith enemies can't gain bonus Turn Meter (doesn't affect raid bosses).

Is the whole unique ability replaced with this? Does Darth Malak still gain taunt when an enemy is inflicted with fear? if not, how is he a taunting tank then? half your team will die before he gets a taunt ( if ever ).

With this change how about you consider refunding the gear that people used for Sith Assassin, because it defeats her purpose entirely.

Waiting for an official answer @CG_SBCrumb

Is there a response to this yet? This is clear cut bait and switch for those of us who bought g12+ gear for Sith Assassin.

• Paper rock scissor, ahahaha
    What a joke, how can you lied to our face like that.
    You dont want a game, something fun or something balanced. You just want to make money from the whale. Nothing more, this is not a game it is a fishing pool.
    Pathetic
  • So just to break it down, a Sith/Empire team can't be stunned, ability blocked, or have their turn meter reduced. Can prevent the enemy from inflicting a debuff (even one like fracture), prevent an entire faction from gaining bonus turn meter, and has a tank that has three times the likelihood to one-shot a character. There is almost no strategy against this team, except to have the team. Well played CG!

I predict CG is on a path to kill all TM bonus teams. Look at the zFinn changes, they're doing it with zEP, Sass, Maul. What's next? OG Kylo & Foo? Rex? OldBen?

Not to mention their road ahead blog post was a complete lie haha!
  • Tautas wrote: »
    I looked at meta report in swgoh.gg Palpatine team just have 12% (8+2+2) of all rank 1.

Stop messing with characters and their abilities after same time from release... And ya, I have Malak.

You won't see Palpatine in the meta report. It's a climbing team, and when people are done they switch to their defence teams.
  • Wookye
    30 posts Member
    Wookye wrote: »
    And meanwhile 7hmfuxobrism.gif

And meanwhile you're beating squads without Malak?

As you wished.. uc3iqycqdwmg.gif

Well at least now you've got footage of the toon the thread is named after. :D
  • Balgashang
    4 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    This is **** stupid. And I have Malak, congratulations on making Arena unenjoyable again with one team being the only really viable option and making speed secondaries instead of strategy the only factor. I have Malak, I'll continue doing well in arena, the meta just won't be as diverse or fun.

a98baq5gjgdp.jpg
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    So all the stuff @CG_Carrie said in the road ahead 5 days ago about "variety in the meta" and "more balance" - was that a mistake? Or just an outright lie?

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • this nerf is complete ****!
    I have Malak and I loved the diverse meta.
    And now you are destroying it to the ground. gg CG! gg!
    Why are you doing this ****???
    Have you ever played your own game?
    Those things arent fun!
    Dont make these changes! You are not only nerfing palp and darth maul, no also sith assassin... so why have her as a sith empire charakter if you cant use her with malak???
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    marxuke123 wrote: »
    They promise rock-paper-scissors meta, but now they are destroying it. Is this meta possible at all when they are ahead pumping out money.

Star Wars : Galaxy of Hypocritics
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • What are they trying to achieve exactly?.. This is getting tiresome
  • Feeling much better at spending this month's gaming $$$ on Hearthstone and World of Tanks.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    What are they trying to achieve exactly?.. This is getting tiresome

Apparently, the opposite of what Carrie said in the road ahead. We're simply moving from one single-character dominant meta to the next - by surgically and specifically eliminating all possible counters.

• LinasMilius
    57 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    "While it may not be a true rock-paper-scissors meta, and while it will take some time to execute, this is the targeted end state"

So the"targeted end state" - pay us good, or we'll make you regret it?