What makes me angry about Gen Skywalker

Prev13
Caiaphas
187 posts Member
edited October 2019
What bothers me is that the game continues to punishes you for enjoying a faction. I've been working on Galactic Republic for ages. I was actually happy when g13+1, +2, ..., +5, +6, g14 (aka relics) came out, because I could keep working on and investing in the Republic. I mean I still use a republic fleet.

What really makes me angry is that I need to invest not just a little bit, but massively, in separatist droids. 17,700 power is g12+zetas. Thats 4 toons at g12 and 4 full zetas just for 1/4 of an event for a Republic toon. Plus Asajj, so 5 zetas.

This doesn't reward players - this outright punishes players who like to play and invest in the toons they WANT to play, rather than those that CG WANTS YOU to play.

So, despite my investment over the years in Republic toons, I will be missing one of the key toons because of the gawd awful separatist droid requirement. And this isn't like ewoks for 3P0, or seps for Padme... 17,700 power is a completely different level of investment. This is 5 zetas we are talking about here, to get the 5 seps to 17,700 power

Did we need Republic toons for ANY of the separatists? NOPE!

From the start, I have never understood why an investment in a faction can't yield improvements and new toons in THAT faction. Why can't the event be 'use Republic toons to rescue General Ani and add him to your collection?' And all other events done in a similar way, which rewards people who like to invest in a faction by giving them new toons in that faction?

What makes me the most angry is that a game, which is supposed to be enjoyable, instead makes me angry. There is something definitely not right with the design of a game if it continually makes the players angry.

edits:
- Yes I know I could choose not to get him, but that's exactly the issue: I WANT to collect galactic republic toons. But NOT seps. The problem is that we (the players) are being punished for collecting Galactic Republic toons and investing in Galactic Republic, because we want to collect Galactic Republic. But you need to collect and invest in seps in order to collect and invest in Galactic Republic. It is infuriating.
- Yes, I know that other events are this way. You need Rebels for Palp. Phoenix for Thrawn, etc. But that's what this post is more or less about. WHY is it this way? WHY can't we actually benefit from investing in a faction we enjoy? I mean, if Republic toons were needed for a Sep, I would end up having the sep and never using it.
- Yes, zetas aren't strictly required. You can get 17,700 power with g12+2 or better. But if the event has 17,700 minimum required, you can be damned sure that the zetas are going to be necessary to actually beat the event

Replies

• Options
    They don't need zetas. Most only need G12 plus an additional piece.

And the only other Epic Confrontation required opposing factions.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    You doing Geo TB?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    You don't have to try to get him, though. You can choose to not bother if you don't want to gear your seps.
  • Options
    It also bothers me that I couldn't unlock JKR the first time as a huge Ugnauth fan. They should have handed him to me for investing in characters I like.
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options
    Why were you not gearing Sep Droids anyway? Did you miss that Grievous is awesome now and they're required for TB?
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• UdalCuain
    5011 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    You'd miss him this time anyway with a 5* Padme, assuming this is you: https://swgoh.gg/p/991495541/characters/

You'll have plenty of time to gear the droids up between this event and the next time it comes around.

It's not a wasted investment in the droids either, they're needed for GeoTB and are a great team.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    The game makes money by requiring people to work on things they otherwise wouldn't work on in order to get the things they want. It always has, and that's not going to change just because it makes you angry.
  • Options
    @Jarvind I took a year break from the game. I missed all the marquees. The marquees are not repeatable. When I came back in late August, it was far too late for Sep Droids. B1 is a 100 day + farm at 2 fleet node refreshes per day alone.

Plus, they are not required for the TB. They are only required for a battle in the TB

But the issue (to me) isn't that the Sep Droids are awesome ... I could g12+ GG right now if I wanted to. I am hoarding my gear for Republic toons (that I hope will get reworked before the light side geo TB). Similarly, I never did use my Jedi Revan, zeta my Palp, bother to get Darth Revan, Malak, or Han's Falcon. To me it isn't about what is awesome, but more what I like to invest my resources in.

It is what it is. A game that makes people angry. :shrug:
  • Options
    The good news is that you're completely locked out so you couldn't even whale if you wanted to.
  • Options
    @Liath I am not starting an argument with people who defend the game, nor did I ask anyone to change how they do things. I was just stating how I feel, and why it bothers me.

I'll move along now
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options
    Caiaphas wrote: »
    @Jarvind I took a year break from the game. I missed all the marquees.

So you're upset that you're behind the curve after not playing for a year? What did you expect?
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Caiaphas
    187 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    @Jarvind No I think you misunderstand. I'm not going to get General Skywalker anyway. I am talking about the massive investment in toons that one doesn't want, in order to get a toon that one does want.

It isn't about whether I personally will get General Skywalker or not, it's about how they set the requirements that actively punish people for investing in the faction that they want to collect, by requiring investments in other factions in order to do so.

It has always been like this in this game, and I have always disliked it. I am just stating why now, in the above post. I don't expect them to change it, I'm not asking for anything.

What I would LIKE, for example, is to use my hoarded gear on my Galactic Republic toons and prepare for the light side Geo TB. But what I will end up doing is gearing Sep Droids for this event (the second round) so that I can get another Republic toon.... and miss out on gearing the Republic toons that I actually WANT to invest in. That's what bothers me.

Anyway, my point is made. I expect disagreement.
  • Options
    This GR character is for endgame players and players that know how to manage their rosters. That Sir, isn't you.
  • Options
    Why I had to collect useless phoenixes to get Thrawn?
    Why I had to collect useless rebels to collect Palp?
    Why Rey required 2 useress characters?
    Why Malak required OR?
    Why c3 needed ewoks?
    Why Hoth required useles solger?
    Why the game is forsing us to gear characters we dont want since it launch..?
  • Options
    This isn’t the first time or the last time this has happened.

Love Rebels? Better farm Ewoks so you can get 3po.
    Love Resistance? Better farm FO so you can get BB8.
    Still love Rebels? Better farm BH so you can get Chewy.
    Love Empire? Better farm Phoenix so you can get Thrawn.
    Love Galactic Republic? Better farm and gear separatists so you can get Padme.

I think people are 100% entitled to play the game the way they want. They love one faction but hate another? Good for them.

I don’t think they can then complain that they can’t access all the content they want. If you ignore a faction or a certain toon for those sorts of reasons, sooner or later something will be closed off to you. It’s the way the game has always worked, and for a collection game it’s how it should work.
  • Ultra
    11504 posts Moderator
    Options
    Plus, they are not required for the TB. They are only required for a battle in the TB

It is what it is. A game that makes people angry. :shrug:
    That battle nets you a star, let’s you donate your other strong toons for platoons in other phases since they can breeze through any CM in phases 1 to 3 and nets you GET2 from special missions

They also get additional bonuses from platoon bonus or when a Hero unit kills a toon in combat waves

Outside of TB, I think it’s perfectly fine to include Separatists as requirement. You can still work on GR toons but in every legendary event you needed an opposing faction

If you like resistance then you also need to work on First Order, if you like empire, work on your rebels (EP / Thrawn) and so on

This is nothing different than how things have always been
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    YetiYeti wrote: »
    You don't have to try to get him, though. You can choose to not bother if you don't want to gear your seps.

Bingo! This event will happen again, don't sweat it. Plus we need to see if GS is really worth it, and not nerfed to hell and back in the months after release. Patience young one, patience.

OP, interesting avatar and name choice.."We come to Rome, to sentence .."
  • Options
    OP, interesting avatar and name choice.."We come to Rome, to sentence .."

:smiley:
  • Options
    This GR character is for endgame players and players that know how to manage their rosters. That Sir, isn't you.

The character and requirements for this new content have been known for less than 24 hours so no one “knew” how to manage their roster until yesterday for this event. Any prep folks have done up to yesterday was just an educated guess.

Was it likely that the new characters we’ve seen I’ve the past few months would be required? Sure... but considering all the speculation around General Anakin/Fallen Anakin/Ki Adi Mundi, there could have been other toons folks may have focused on instead (Jedi Council, Wat, Geos, etc... these will likely be needed for other characters right around the corner if you ask me).

I like that the OP stated his disappointment but didn’t fall into the usual “I’m thinking about quitting” or “you’re just a CG apologist” trap some often do too.

• Options
    Not getting him this go but at peace with it because other than shaak ti really all these chars have been around and other than stars 17.7k is doable without G13 especially on those with 2 zeta. Hope he’s not super OP though but sure he will
  • Options

The character and requirements for this new content have been known for less than 24 hours so no one “knew” how to manage their roster until yesterday for this event. Any prep folks have done up to yesterday was just an educated guess.

Was it likely that the new characters we’ve seen I’ve the past few months would be required? Sure... but considering all the speculation around General Anakin/Fallen Anakin/Ki Adi Mundi, there could have been other toons folks may have focused on instead (Jedi Council, Wat, Geos, etc... these will likely be needed for other characters right around the corner if you ask me).

I like that the OP stated his disappointment but didn’t fall into the usual “I’m thinking about quitting” or “you’re just a CG apologist” trap some often do too.

I dont need to know, in advance, who will be required. I manage my roster by farming shards for all toons, especially the newest ones once they go f2p. As a F2P collector myself, it works for me. However, to flat out refuse to farm useful toons or teams because you don't like something is asinine.
  • Options
    This is how it has always worked and it’s by design really.

There are close to 200 toons in this game. Some are great, some are has-beens and some have never been good. But CG spent time and money developing every one of them. They want us to farm and gear every one (in a perfect world).
    Doing so means that their resources weren’t wasted in creating the toons and it also slows our progress a bit to buy them time to create new stuff.

In a perfect world for players, I can see your point. It would be great if we could pick and choose our factions as you describe.

It’s just not reality though. There is no point in getting yourself upset over it as it will never change.
  • Options

I dont need to know, in advance, who will be required. I manage my roster by farming shards for all toons, especially the newest ones once they go f2p. As a F2P collector myself, it works for me. However, to flat out refuse to farm useful toons or teams because you don't like something is asinine.

This is for sure some of the most F2P accessible content I’ve seen come across in quite a while (kudos CG!) I’m personally skipping this one as I want to be as prepared as you are for this event for any upcoming EPIX and RotJ Luke content.

Saying people don’t “know” how to manage their roster and calling them asinine for their preferences just seems a bit harsh though, especially considering how tame the OPs critique was compared to what we see on the boards quite often.
  • Options
    ZAP wrote: »
    @Jarvind No I think you misunderstand. I'm not going to get General Skywalker anyway. I am talking about the massive investment in toons that one doesn't want, in order to get a toon that one does want.

It isn't about whether I personally will get General Skywalker or not, it's about how they set the requirements that actively punish people for investing in the faction that they want to collect, by requiring investments in other factions in order to do so.

It has always been like this in this game, and I have always disliked it. I am just stating why now, in the above post. I don't expect them to change it, I'm not asking for anything.

What I would LIKE, for example, is to use my hoarded gear on my Galactic Republic toons and prepare for the light side Geo TB. But what I will end up doing is gearing Sep Droids for this event (the second round) so that I can get another Republic toon.... and miss out on gearing the Republic toons that I actually WANT to invest in. That's what bothers me.

Anyway, my point is made. I expect disagreement.

I understand where you’re coming from and you obv know this game needs to do this to keep people starting and gearing toons they otherwise wouldn’t, it’s just good business and should not make you angry.

Starting and gearing the sep droids will allow you to contribute to a guild that is doing geo TB and I assume you want the GR capitol ship, no? Were you just gonna skate and let your guild earn you the Negotiatior?

Aye I understand the business reasons, and why it shouldn't bother me. I guess what really bothers me is that it bothers me. I know it shouldn't - it is a game, and it should be enjoyable after all. And it is largely enjoyable. But it does bother me, and that fact bothers me even more.

As for the Geo TB, I am largely set to contribute well to the light side TB. I contribute to the dark side one as well, sure, just not with Geos and Seps. I do my best with nightsisters, empire, bounty hunters, etc. So I'm not really letting my guild do it for me. In fact, I easily out-perform the guildies that don't participate at all! Imagine that. I will largely return the favour to the guild in the light side version, I hope. Something that I could do even better if I could spend my gear on more GR toons that I assume they will rework for the release of the light side Geo TB... but I can't ... need to spend it on Sep Droids... but I've made that point :P
  • Options
    All that anger is going to burn you up.
  • Options
    @dudeitsmeross69 I never called anyone asinine. My reference is that it is asinine to think that you will every toon when you refuse to collect toons based on their faction. It may sound harsh but really its not.
  • Options
    @Syth_Hunter I know what you are saying and didn't take it personally. But to be clear it's not that I flat out refuse to farm anything. I never said that anywhere - what I said was that I didn't want to and take issue with being forced to in order to improve a faction that I care about. In fact I will end up farming them, as I said above, but that was part of the point I was making - the gear I have carefully hoarded (over 400 carbantis, 200+ black balls, etc etc) I was hoping to use on GR toons for the LS Geo TB. But I will end up using it on Sep Droids, which I do not want to do. As I said, I am trying to develop the Republic part of my roster, but now I can't, because in order to do so I now need to use all that gear for Sep Droids. So if Lumi, Kit, Aalya, etc all get reworked, I won't have the gear for them anymore.

I guess I will just think of it differently... by farming and gearing these droids, I am indirectly improving my Republic roster, which is what I want. The gear isn't wasted - it is invested (heavily) in a single Republic toon. At the expense of other Republic toons. So really I can think of it as getting a single GR toon in a few months, rather than gearing Aalya, Kit, Ima-gun, Eeth, and Lumi (the other Jedi Generals). So it's 5 toons worth of gear not on the Jedi Generals, but on Sep Droids instead, for a single new Republic toon. It still hurts, but if I think of it as a sacrifice of 5 republic toons for one republic toon, that feels better than thinking of it as gearing the droids that I didn't want to gear.