"Be the change you want to see in the world."

Prev13
BrobiWanKenobi
277 posts Member
edited March 2016
It seems like the first step for a large portion of the players complaining about Dooku/GS/etc being OP is to turn around and start farming those exact characters as fast as they can, in the hope of becoming more "competitive". That's almost as irritating as your complaining in the first place - by doing so you're selling out strategically and adding even more blandness and imbalance to the meta, perpetuating the cycle of complaining (and increasing the likelihood of the devs to nerf characters unnecessarily).

There are a definitely a few characters I find annoying as **** to play against. I've refused to farm Dooku, Daka, GS and others because their mechanics irritate me (they are not OP) and I'd rather find another way to beat them than fighting fire with fire. I have nothing against people who've farmed those or any characters. My problem is with people who complain about a character and then try to exploit the character to beat others.

My encouragement:
1. Play with integrity
- be the change you want to see: if you are challenged/irritated by a character, don't go out and farm them as a first reaction
2. Choose your own path
- the meta is constantly changing and the best toons today could be irrelevant tomorrow
3. Always be farming at least 1 toon purely for fun
- it's much more rewarding in the long run
Post edited by BrobiWanKenobi on

Replies

• Calus_78
    504 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If Ben Affleck never plays a role in a super hero film again?
    Post edited by Calus_78 on
  • Options
    It seems like the first step for a large portion of the players complaining about Dooku/GS/etc being OP is to turn around and start farming those exact characters as fast as they can, in the hope of becoming more "competitive". That's almost as irritating as your complaining in the first place - by doing so you're selling out strategically and adding even more blandness and imbalance to the meta, perpetuating the cycle of complaining (and increasing the likelihood of the devs to nerf characters unnecessarily).

There are a definitely a few characters I find annoying as **** to play against. I've refused to farm Dooku, Daka, GS and others because their mechanics irritate me (they are not OP) and I'd rather find another way to beat them than shut my brain off strategically and fight fire with fire. I have nothing against people who've farmed those characters, they just don't appeal to me.

My encouragement:
    1. Play with integrity
    - be the change you want to see
    2. Choose your own path
    - the meta is constantly changing and the best toons today could be irrelevant tomorrow

+9001

Perfect post. I've been spewing this vitriol since December but it seems like no one wants to have any fun.

But hey, good luck everyone with your level 100 team of Sidious Dooku Phasma Luminara and (insert fifth hero here). How boring in must be. :/
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Options
    I agree with this. but at the same time, its near impossible to get top 5 in arena with none of these characters.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    hnewton wrote: »
    I agree with this. but at the same time, its near impossible to get top 5 in arena with none of these characters.

Can't have it all. If you play to win, you gotta adjust to what everybody else does. And that means, less fun and creativity.
  • Deimos
    326 posts Member
    Options
    I like red lightsabers. I've made two compromises so far. Lumi and Poe.

But I refuse to get the bugs.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    Great post Brobi, you really are a Jedi. :smile: You gotta have fun while playing, otherwise what's the point?
  • Options

CMf6cBfh.jpg
    This Chief Chirpa, Teebo, Ewok Elder, Ewok Scout, Old Daka team begs to differ.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    Deimos wrote: »

But I refuse to get the bugs.

Exactly you should farm for what is fun for you. Me...when i hear that 'pewww' followed by an enemy falling, fills my heart with joy and i am having fun. I don't know why would anyone want to take that from me! I am sad!

• Options
    Farming the meta actually lets you farm the team you want. I use the crystals I win to refresh my energy and get different B-squads. Currently working on ewoks, first order, scoundrel and rebel (two accounts though)
  • Options
    Farming the meta actually lets you farm the team you want. I use the crystals I win to refresh my energy and get different B-squads. Currently working on ewoks, first order, scoundrel and rebel (two accounts though)

Not everyone can get #1. If everyone farmed the meta then everyone would have an equal chance of getting rewards. So on average you would get less rewards per day. So farming the meta is bad when everyone does it. Or bad for you anyway.
  • Options
    My encouragement:
    1. Play with integrity

For many, the change they want to see is a #1 next to their names on the leaderboard.
  • CPMP
    974 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

CMf6cBfh.jpg

1) Ewoks are a lot harder to farm than Sid, Lumi, Phasma, Dooku.
    2) The one with Ewok team is probably a whale that has most chars and earned his top spots using a meta team.
    3) 22h 20m left. I would like to see his spot after 20h. Who would people fight and drop? Dooku lead teams or ewok lol team? That team will be dropped under 20# within an hour.
    4) I can use QGJ team or Dooku team to get to #1, then swap to ugnaught, cup, mob enforcer and 2 more and challenge 2nd or 3rd. Then take screenshot with 23h hour left till prize and boast about ugnaught being meta material.
    5) AI sucks playing every hero, some more than others. Ranking up using meta team and then swapping while under #15 and beating the AI to rank #1, using crystal refreshes, doesn't make it an achievement.
    6) Gj trying to climb ranks from #1000 to #10 with ewok or any other subpar team.

I used to run Sid lead aoe team + dooku to stun GQJ or healers and i was forced to swap to Dooku lead because people were focusing like crazy.
    Nonemo wrote: »

Can't have it all. If you play to win, you gotta adjust to what everybody else does. And that means, less fun and creativity.

I wish it was different but Nonemo is right.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    @CPMP 1) Doesn't matter if they are harder to farm. Only matters that options exist that can win against, what i am starting to believe more and more, a non-existant 'meta'
    2) So what?
    3) Have you thought about the fact that the guy lives in a different time zone and he already got no1? If he can get #1 why does it make a difference that people can beat him?
    4) Clever
    5) It's good that AI sucks, that way f2p who farms for Ugnaught still has a chance in the game! Not everybody is as informed as you are!
    6) They can climb the ranks from any spot to any spot. Guaranteed!

Nobody forced you to swap anything and it should be no problem that people can defeat you if you can beat anyone in your shard!
  • Options
    I have a ton of fun playing this game. I am competitive with a few different team comps. I am always experimenting and trying to find ways to make my squad better. I rarely complain on here but when I see something happening in the game that I think is ridiculous I'm going to speak my mind about it.

I keep reading where people are saying "its lazy to complain about it... Find a way to beat it". IMO that is too general of a statement in the case of evasion. When you get into a match where the AI dodge rate is on steroids, there is no strategy to beat it other than join it. I beat evasion squads more often than I lose to them but that is not the point that some of us are trying to make. Running into a squad where the RNG decides it will allow the opponent to evade at a rate more than twice as high as the advertised rate isn't much different than the Poe coin flip was or the QGJ/GS coin flips. It just takes a bit longer to realize you aren't going to win that match. The majority of people that truly wanted a better game experience agreed that something needed/needs to be done about the speed based meta whether they own those chars or not, but defend this evasion meta.

I have actually seen specific posters that complained about QGJ... attacking others that complain about Dooku/evasion.

Running into an evasion rate that high should be an extremely rare occurrence if you do the math, but it's not. In my experience it happens at about a 30-40% clip. I could walk into a battle and get wasted by a squad (regardless of my team comp or theirs), turn around and battle the same squad 5 minutes later and wipe the floor with them. Should their really be that high of a variance?

Everybody keeps saying that high evasion allows for more strategy. I respectfully disagree. If anything it takes strategy out of the equation. I could assemble the perfect squad to counter the opponent, make every correct move during the battle and still lose if they are dodging everything I throw at them. Where is the strategy in that?

I think the big discrepancy in opinions comes down to luck. Some people simply aren't running into the insane dodge rate so they think people are whining over the normal dodge rate. A reasonable amount of dodge is great. Too much evasion just takes all strategy and fun out of the game.

Trash away!
  • Options
    CPMP wrote: »

CMf6cBfh.jpg

2) The one with Ewok team is probably a whale that has most chars and earned his top spots using a meta team.
    3) 22h 20m left. I would like to see his spot after 20h. Who would people fight and drop? Dooku lead teams or ewok lol team? That team will be dropped under 20# within an hour.
    4) I can use QGJ team or Dooku team to get to #1, then swap to ugnaught, cup, mob enforcer and 2 more and challenge 2nd or 3rd. Then take screenshot with 23h hour left till prize and boast about ugnaught being meta material.
    5) AI sucks playing every hero, some more than others. Ranking up using meta team and then swapping while under #15 and beating the AI to rank #1, using crystal refreshes, doesn't make it an achievement.
    6) Gj trying to climb ranks from #1000 to #10 with ewok or any other subpar team.

I used to run Sid lead aoe team + dooku to stun GQJ or healers and i was forced to swap to Dooku lead because people were focusing like crazy.

The statement I was arguing against was 'It's near impossible to get top 5 in arena with none of these characters'.

I used a specific example of a squad in the top 5 with none of those characters.

If you want to have a separate argument about ewoks then go ahead, but I disproved his statement. Case closed.
  • Options
    MrClean621 wrote: »
    I have a ton of fun playing this game. I am competitive with a few different team comps. I am always experimenting and trying to find ways to make my squad better. I rarely complain on here but when I see something happening in the game that I think is ridiculous I'm going to speak my mind about it.

I keep reading where people are saying "its lazy to complain about it... Find a way to beat it". IMO that is too general of a statement in the case of evasion. When you get into a match where the AI dodge rate is on steroids, there is no strategy to beat it other than join it. I beat evasion squads more often than I lose to them but that is not the point that some of us are trying to make. Running into a squad where the RNG decides it will allow the opponent to evade at a rate more than twice as high as the advertised rate isn't much different than the Poe coin flip was or the QGJ/GS coin flips. It just takes a bit longer to realize you aren't going to win that match. The majority of people that truly wanted a better game experience agreed that something needed/needs to be done about the speed based meta whether they own those chars or not, but defend this evasion meta.

I have actually seen specific posters that complained about QGJ... attacking others that complain about Dooku/evasion.

Running into an evasion rate that high should be an extremely rare occurrence if you do the math, but it's not. In my experience it happens at about a 30-40% clip. I could walk into a battle and get wasted by a squad (regardless of my team comp or theirs), turn around and battle the same squad 5 minutes later and wipe the floor with them. Should their really be that high of a variance?

Everybody keeps saying that high evasion allows for more strategy. I respectfully disagree. If anything it takes strategy out of the equation. I could assemble the perfect squad to counter the opponent, make every correct move during the battle and still lose if they are dodging everything I throw at them. Where is the strategy in that?

I think the big discrepancy in opinions comes down to luck. Some people simply aren't running into the insane dodge rate so they think people are whining over the normal dodge rate. A reasonable amount of dodge is great. Too much evasion just takes all strategy and fun out of the game.

Trash away!

They're making massive changes in just a couple of weeks, everyone complaining about Dooku is beating a dead horse.
  • Options

There are a definitely a few characters I find annoying as **** to play against. I've refused to farm Dooku, Daka, GS and others because their mechanics irritate me (they are not OP) and I'd rather find another way to beat them than shut my brain off strategically and fight fire with fire. I have nothing against people who've farmed those characters, they just don't appeal to me.

My encouragement:
    1. Play with integrity
    2. Choose your own path

Awesome post. Exactly why I'm hesitant on chasing the meta. Im having too much fun!
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    @MrClean621 Yes i think you nailed it pretty much. RNG is the real meta in this game! And it will be the meta until the end of this game. I've seen Ventress lead with Plo Koon teams that won in offense against the so called 'speed meta', QGJ/Yoda/GS. There's a guy on my server that uses nightsister team, started placing in the top 10. This is not the first time i see an ewok team place #1. Teams with Phasma leader, Ewok elder and Daka, i've seen them get no1 in arena. I cannot beat Droid teams right now, at least until my GS hits 70. So for me, they are meta now. Are they OP? Heck no, i know what to do i just can't do it yet! Yet people still complain about individual characters. It's too early...wait for level 80 to complain!
  • Options
    Alexone wrote: »
    @MrClean621 Yes i think you nailed it pretty much. RNG is the real meta in this game! And it will be the meta until the end of this game. I've seen Ventress lead with Plo Koon teams that won in offense against the so called 'speed meta', QGJ/Yoda/GS. There's a guy on my server that uses nightsister team, started placing in the top 10. This is not the first time i see an ewok team place #1. Teams with Phasma leader, Ewok elder and Daka, i've seen them get no1 in arena. I cannot beat Droid teams right now, at least until my GS hits 70. So for me, they are meta now. Are they OP? Heck no, i know what to do i just can't do it yet! Yet people still complain about individual characters. It's too early...wait for level 80 to complain!

Another great post. Well said!

• CPMP
    974 posts Member
    Options

CMf6cBfh.jpg

The statement I was arguing against was 'It's near impossible to get top 5 in arena with none of these characters'.

I used a specific example of a squad in the top 5 with none of those characters.

If you want to have a separate argument about ewoks then go ahead, but I disproved his statement. Case closed.

And how do you prove that with that screenshot exactly? I've seen rank #1 use 40lvl toons on purpose, just to drop rank in order to make GW easier (back when GW was squad arena dependant) If i took a screenshot of that lvl 40 team, would it prove that it possible to reach top 5 with low lvl untrained team? Because that's exactly what you did with that screenshot. You can't know how and with which team the current player achieved that. Case closed.
  • Options

CMf6cBfh.jpg

And how do you prove that with that screenshot exactly? I've seen rank #1 use 40lvl toons on purpose, just to drop rank in order to make GW easier (back when GW was squad arena dependant) If i took a screenshot of that lvl 40 team, would it prove that it possible to reach top 5 with low lvl untrained team? Because that's exactly what you did with that screenshot. You can't know how and with which team the current player achieved that. Case closed.

Well actually a guild mate of mine posted various screenshots that he took throughout the battle facing the almighty meta heroes.

Give me a second and I'll see if I can find them.
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    Options

CMf6cBfh.jpg

I've seen Ewok teams beat "meta" teams. They rock.
    I don't see why this guy would suddendly change his team. I'm pretty sure he reached n°1 with it.

I think you don't realize how powerful an ewoks-daka squad is.
  • Options

CMf6cBfh.jpg

Well actually a guild mate of mine posted various screenshots that he took throughout the battle facing the almighty meta heroes.

Give me a second and I'll see if I can find them.

Bj4P6dQ.jpg
    I found this, but I'm sure I've seen more posted from that guild mate of mine.
  • Reyia
    1171 posts Member
    Options
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    @Reyia Wow is that your account? Awesome!
  • Options
    I agree with the OP. I have a maxed Savage on my A team for the sole purpose of being able to say, "dodge this" and use his special on an annoying Sid or Dooku. It's fun for me. :)
    I stay within top 50 in arena and I like playing my team. My boyfriend plays a more meta team but he says my team is more fun to play. That being said, I'm leveling other characters so I can change it up for the next update. I want to be competitive, but I don't have to have the meta. I don't even have Sid or Dooku yet and I'm cool with that.
  • cosmicturtle333
    5004 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Reyia wrote: »

And I was just going to suggest you take a look at the Ewok video posted on the forum too @CPMP.

Maybe this thread
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/22762/just-got-demolished-by-ewoks/p1
    Or this thread
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/19151/just-got-whooped-by-ewoks-0-0
    Could also she'd some light on the subject.

So in future maybe 'case closed' isn't the best choice of words when you quite obviously don't have enough knowledge on the matter to comment.
  • darkensoul
    1309 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

My encouragement:
    1. Play with integrity
    2. Choose your own path

+9001

Perfect post. I've been spewing this vitriol since December but it seems like no one wants to have any fun.

But hey, good luck everyone with your level 100 team of Sidious Dooku Phasma Luminara and (insert fifth hero here). How boring in must be. :/

Who says playing toons like dooku and daka aren't any fun? I don't. I love playing dooku with phasma lead and there is nothing like daka rezzing your entire team back for a win.

I don't lose pleasure playing a toon just because others use them. Just my thoughts

• Options

My encouragement:
    1. Play with integrity
    2. Choose your own path

+9001

Fun/ boring for you does not translate to the same experience that others are having. You like being different, fine. I love winning, that's fine too. You find it more fun to farm non-meta teams, fine. I love farming toons that help me win, that's ok too. Winning/ being competitive is what makes the game fun for me. Not at all boring for me. I sure don't appreciate it when folks become condescending about the way I choose to play. Especially when they're doing the same thing as me, grinding away at the toons they want. To put it in a simpler way, I enjoy winning as easily as possible. Doesn't make me dumb, in fact some would say I'm smarter cos I'm taking the chopper to the top. Some would prefer trekking to the top, doesn't make them smarter than me. Just means there's all kinds of people in the world. Get off your high horse, "oh the plebs are so boring!"

@BrobiWanKenobi , I find it **** that someone should equate using the easiest farmable toons who just happen to be the meta too with integrity or lack thereof as you suggest with your 1st point "play with integrity". What does that even mean?

And choose your own path? They chose that path, the easiest ride to the top! Just because everyone is on the freeway and not on the back roads doesn't mean they were forced onto the freeway. They chose to follow the meta. Get it? They chose. Like you chose not to. Respect that choice. Don't condescend.

Farm atleast 1 toon for fun. As long as that toon is not the meta? I haven't farmed GS. Not because I want to pretend I'm a more principled person. I didn't farm him as it was not cost effective for me to farm him so late in game. The only choices we make here are how to go about enjoying the game. That the majority are in tune with me or not doesn't matter at all. It shouldn't matter to you too, seeing how different you want to be from the crowd. If everyone was playing the same as you, you wouldn't be so special, would you?

TLDR: Complain about how the game structure promotes this meta thing or whatever. Don't insult others who are tackling the meta/ gameplay the most efficient way they can. Different, my #$$!
  • Options
    ^^yes