An interesting switch in defining a meta.

Replies

• Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Jppc wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    TVF:

Disagree.

Which part of what I said was untrue?

It's a fact that you can get bad rewards at any position because of RNG, and it's also a fact that you can farm gear but you can't farm crystals if you don't spend money.

You just like to disagree. It doesn’t make anything that you said untrue.

So that's a reason for a third person to come in and say they disagree with me????

Maybe try not making this about me and discuss the substance of the posts.

Maybe both of us should follow your advice? I’m not the only one discussing others things than the post subject.

I think making the new GLs not better than the previous is good and bad at the same time. Good because the meta isn’t only one character/team but bad for the future. If I can skip the next new thing and still be with a meta team why would I gear up trash characters (darth sidious/krennic/royal guard/CHOLO/ROLO//lando/leia)? So in the future I don’t need to get the new GL, be with a “low” 80 characters GP(so GAC isn’t a problem), get 1st in arena, get 31 stars in DS TB, etc. If they introduced the 4 GLs together O think it would’ve been better

It does give choices. I didn't get the previous GLs so I can get the new ones and not level up their set of trash characters.

And if you look at all of them they all have about 5 trash characters required. So that part is pretty even.

Yes, it’s good to have choices. However it isn’t only good, in my opinion if we can stay if one team for almost one year in top arena can make the game stale. If they shift the meta from the GLs now or soon JML and SEE will loose lot of their value.

It is very doughtful that they will be switching away from GLs, if anything they may release a toon that gives a boost to 1 or 2, but GLs are going to be here to stay for a long time.

Also with GAC and TW, very few toons lose their value right away.

I agree, probably they won’t change the meta soon. That’s, to me, makes the game stale.

GAC and TW are good but be a meta in arena make the team much more valuable than be good at GAC and TW.

The meta is shifting right now, GLs have a longer cycle than previous metas due to the release and ultimate taking time.

When/if they release more toons that push the meta (if they are not GLs) it will happen at a different pace.

I much prefer a rolling meta shift than a stark change.

Sorry? A slkr still get 1st and still meta, they introduced 2 more teams to the meta but Rey and SLKR still in meta and if they don’t release new characters that push SEE and JML to be the only two in the meta we will be with slkr and rey for a year. They included teams they didn’t shift the olds

JMLs numbers are coming up, SEE is still TBD on a few fronts at this point.

The meta report numbers will shift, it may not be what you want to see as the shift, but they are shifting.

GAS and JKR are still getting to first are they also still meta?

You want a full shift, I get it, but that doesnt seem to be the plan right now.

GAS is only getting first in the Kylo crusher squad with Rey. (not with 501).
    JKR is only taking first with JML in the squad. (not with OR).

Technically both of those squads are still part of the GL meta.

For what its worth, JML can be built in such a way that Kylo and Rey wins aren't necessarily 100%. That's really what drives the meta, because people are often too lazy to break out a counter squad. I fully expect to see at least JML being the most used in shards top 10s or the time being. Palp is a wait and see. Looks like more people seem to have been close to JML initially.
  • Options
    TVF:

Disagree.

It's a fact that you can get bad rewards at any position because of RNG, and it's also a fact that you can farm gear but you can't farm crystals if you don't spend money.

So that's a reason for a third person to come in and say they disagree with me????

Maybe both of us should follow your advice? I’m not the only one discussing others things than the post subject.

I think making the new GLs not better than the previous is good and bad at the same time. Good because the meta isn’t only one character/team but bad for the future. If I can skip the next new thing and still be with a meta team why would I gear up trash characters (darth sidious/krennic/royal guard/CHOLO/ROLO//lando/leia)? So in the future I don’t need to get the new GL, be with a “low” 80 characters GP(so GAC isn’t a problem), get 1st in arena, get 31 stars in DS TB, etc. If they introduced the 4 GLs together O think it would’ve been better

It does give choices. I didn't get the previous GLs so I can get the new ones and not level up their set of trash characters.

And if you look at all of them they all have about 5 trash characters required. So that part is pretty even.

Yes, it’s good to have choices. However it isn’t only good, in my opinion if we can stay if one team for almost one year in top arena can make the game stale. If they shift the meta from the GLs now or soon JML and SEE will loose lot of their value.

It is very doughtful that they will be switching away from GLs, if anything they may release a toon that gives a boost to 1 or 2, but GLs are going to be here to stay for a long time.

I agree, probably they won’t change the meta soon. That’s, to me, makes the game stale.

GAC and TW are good but be a meta in arena make the team much more valuable than be good at GAC and TW.

The meta is shifting right now, GLs have a longer cycle than previous metas due to the release and ultimate taking time.

When/if they release more toons that push the meta (if they are not GLs) it will happen at a different pace.

Sorry? A slkr still get 1st and still meta, they introduced 2 more teams to the meta but Rey and SLKR still in meta and if they don’t release new characters that push SEE and JML to be the only two in the meta we will be with slkr and rey for a year. They included teams they didn’t shift the olds

The previous meta has always lingered to an extent if you tweak your mods or team comp.

A few examples

1. Using gmy with Darth revan against Darth revan with malak teams
    2. Using raid han with darth revan to counter gas
    3. Ep teams still countering traya with proper mods/strategy.

Putting with in a SLKR team to counter jml is very similar to that. If you contend that SLKR was the previous meta, jml beats that. It doesn't push SLKR completely out. I will bet you that SLKR with sith doesn't hold as well on defense as SLKR with fo did before the new GLs came.

It is a bit more complicated with releasing two teams at a time but as far as arena goes, jml beats the current best comp of SLKR with full fo rather easily. And see beats jml rather easily. Then kylo beats see rather easily. So which team holds best probably depends more on how many have each in your arena shard.

But there are a lot of jmls and few see. So I'm guessing in most shards that jml will hold the best but it'll be easy to climb with see since there will be plenty of jml teams to choose from.

That is still a shift in the meta.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    TVF:

Disagree.

The meta report numbers will shift, it may not be what you want to see as the shift, but they are shifting.

I don’t want a full shift right now hahaha I’m still about to get SLKR’s ultimate, my only GL.
    GAS? JKR? Without rey or jml on the team? Sorry but they aren’t meta. The meta is GL, 2 of them will be meta for almost a year if nothing changes. It make the game stale

It is changing, go look at the meta report, you will see the numbers changing. That is the shift, and we dont know exactly where th numbers will end up.

Also you can see on the meta report that non GL GAS and DR teams do make the list. I was just using that to point out that making it to 1st, doesnt mean anything about being a meta team.

If this plays out the way some of us see it, kylo will be there and so will Rey, but there will be other options, and IMHO, that is the least stale thing that there could be, options.
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Options
    TVF:

Disagree.

GAS and JKR are getting first with Rey as a teammate.
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • Options
    MaruMaru wrote: »
    TVF:

Disagree.

You can of course skip this batch. But it won't turn out like you imagine with low 80 characters, everyone is heading for a future where top 80 is covered with only relics and it's more than possible to push junk out of it...at different pace. Or you can just sit at your gp forever.

I didn’t say sit in my GP forever...and yeah there will be the time when most of the player base will have 80 reliced characters but each GL has 6 zetas so a LOT more GP than others characters, probably mosto people will max the GLs (R7, etc) I’m not gonna say that I won’t R7 80 characters but I’m so, so far from it that every R7 make my GP much higher.

I’m not suggesting that it isn’t good to get the 4 GLs. It’s good. They are amazing. I’m saying that in the future, if they keep releasing new characters (meta characters) that aren’t better than the previous ones the game will start to be less engaging (don’t know if it’s the right word)

Don't see how relics turned into r7 all of a sudden. Sidous is one of the few examples that you can give like that and if you don't put on the zeta low relic good toons will be pushing him out. Pushing out rest of them will happen much earlier.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    RAYRAY wrote: »
    TVF:

Disagree.

GAS and JKR are getting first with Rey as a teammate.

Not entirely, they still work on SLKR (mostly GAS) and other off counter teams that can beat both.

It's just an observation, we see it on our shard and in the meta report. I'm not saying they are still meta, just pointing out they can get there.
  • Options
    TVF:

Disagree.

The previous meta has always lingered to an extent if you tweak your mods or team comp.

A few examples

Putting with in a SLKR team to counter jml is very similar to that. If you contend that SLKR was the previous meta, jml beats that. It doesn't push SLKR completely out. I will bet you that SLKR with sith doesn't hold as well on defense as SLKR with fo did before the new GLs came.

It is a bit more complicated with releasing two teams at a time but as far as arena goes, jml beats the current best comp of SLKR with full fo rather easily. And see beats jml rather easily. Then kylo beats see rather easily. So which team holds best probably depends more on how many have each in your arena shard.

But there are a lot of jmls and few see. So I'm guessing in most shards that jml will hold the best but it'll be easy to climb with see since there will be plenty of jml teams to choose from.

DR with gmy wasn’t meta even if it could win against DR with malak. DR with malak were a meta. Be a counter isn’t be a meta team.

JML on defense doesn’t hold so well as far as I know. I think it because Rey but I don’t really know. But even with JML as a meta team, that until know didn’t take SLKR out of the meta

Darth revan with gmy wasn't meta but Darth revan was. Adding gmy made it still viable when malak came for those without malak.

Just like putting Sith in with SLKR make him viable against jml but not meta on defense.

• Options
    Other than trying to make a jab at the new GLs being bad, I'm not sure what you are trying to say that wasnt already stated.

The new Gls were stated to be on par with the old ones, so they were never intended to replace them.

Is a rock paper scissors meta good for the game, yes. Although it's more indifferent than anything, it's just different.

Is this a way to dampen power creep..... it's a little early to say, since we have been told they are watching this and at least one of them is of the opinion that changes may need to be made.

Why would anyone spend, is more of a personal question and can only be answered by each player. Again, a little early to start this, see above.

Interesting take on that.
    I read ‘RayRay’s’ comment as something he/she opined regarding an often costly to time/(potentially)money investment, that he/she has chosen to dedicate part of his/her life to.

It seems entirely possible to take thIs as constructive criticism, for the product that you are, seemingly, quick to defend (which is only natural).

His opinion attempted to offer flattery as well, ie. “The new GLs are not horrible by any means...”

The ‘product’ is purchased by the consumer. Sales are and have been good.
    Rushing to counter consumers’ thoughts and opinions seems heavy-handed, even possibly counterproductive to sales... in the long run.
  • Options
    TVF:

Disagree.

A few examples

DR with gmy wasn’t meta even if it could win against DR with malak. DR with malak were a meta. Be a counter isn’t be a meta team.

JML on defense doesn’t hold so well as far as I know. I think it because Rey but I don’t really know. But even with JML as a meta team, that until know didn’t take SLKR out of the meta

Darth revan with gmy wasn't meta but Darth revan was. Adding gmy made it still viable when malak came for those without malak.

Just like putting Sith in with SLKR make him viable against jml but not meta on defense.

Sorry but what is your point? We were/are talking about meta. DR with gmy weren’t a meta. Slkr is a meta.

My point is that saying SLKR is still meta because he's still able to climb and do ok may be incorrect.

With a lot of jmls added, slkr won't be meta. But like the other teams, he'll still do ok for awhile. It usually takes two or three meta shifts to fully push a team out of the meta.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Other than trying to make a jab at the new GLs being bad, I'm not sure what you are trying to say that wasnt already stated.

The new Gls were stated to be on par with the old ones, so they were never intended to replace them.

Is a rock paper scissors meta good for the game, yes. Although it's more indifferent than anything, it's just different.

Is this a way to dampen power creep..... it's a little early to say, since we have been told they are watching this and at least one of them is of the opinion that changes may need to be made.

Why would anyone spend, is more of a personal question and can only be answered by each player. Again, a little early to start this, see above.

Interesting take on that.
    I read ‘RayRay’s’ comment as something he/she opined regarding an often costly to time/(potentially)money investment, that he/she has chosen to dedicate part of his/her life to.

It seems entirely possible to take thIs as constructive criticism, for the product that you are, seemingly, quick to defend (which is only natural).

His opinion attempted to offer flattery as well, ie. “The new GLs are not horrible by any means...”

The ‘product’ is purchased by the consumer. Sales are and have been good.
    Rushing to counter consumers’ thoughts and opinions seems heavy-handed, even possibly counterproductive to sales... in the long run.

I am not here to sell anything.

I jumped in because a few of his points seem to be counter to what was already stated about the product.

My other comments were to answer questions that he asked in the post and offer my opinion.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    TVF:

Disagree.

I don’t want a full shift right now hahaha I’m still about to get SLKR’s ultimate, my only GL.
    GAS? JKR? Without rey or jml on the team? Sorry but they aren’t meta. The meta is GL, 2 of them will be meta for almost a year if nothing changes. It make the game stale

It is changing, go look at the meta report, you will see the numbers changing. That is the shift, and we dont know exactly where th numbers will end up.

Also you can see on the meta report that non GL GAS and DR teams do make the list. I was just using that to point out that making it to 1st, doesnt mean anything about being a meta team.

If this plays out the way some of us see it, kylo will be there and so will Rey, but there will be other options, and IMHO, that is the least stale thing that there could be, options.

Without rey or jml there are only 26 GAS on meta report and 0 jkr (swgoh.gg) so no, GAS and jkr without GLs aren’t meta at all. GL, as leader or not, are the meta now.

I only said this as a count to you opening up that SLKR takes first and is meta. Just to point out that those 2 things are not synonymous. As others also take first.

With rey and JML both able to give him pause, and the initial spike in JML unlocks I would imagine that Rey and JML could overtake him percentage wise in the meta report which could possibly result in him not being as meta as before. But he will still take first.

That would be a shift. But as always, this will also leave us options as we see that SEE and SLKR can still win....so again options, which IMHO are very not stale.
  • Options
    TVF:

Disagree.

Without rey or jml there are only 26 GAS on meta report and 0 jkr (swgoh.gg) so no, GAS and jkr without GLs aren’t meta at all. GL, as leader or not, are the meta now.

I only said this as a count to you opening up that SLKR takes first and is meta. Just to point out that those 2 things are not synonymous. As others also take first.

With rey and JML both able to give him pause, and the initial spike in JML unlocks I would imagine that Rey and JML could overtake him percentage wise in the meta report which could possibly result in him not being as meta as before. But he will still take first.

That would be a shift. But as always, this will also leave us options as we see that SEE and SLKR can still win....so again options, which IMHO are very not stale.

This exactly.

All it takes to reduce the percentage of SLKR on the meta report is more jmls in the shard. If there is a jml in 1st and you have the choice you use Rey or Kylo to counter and Rey counters him more easily, then the numbers of Reys go up and Kylos go down. Some will only have kylo, so they may still use him. Some may have see and use him.

Some may see a Rey or kylo as the last team they need to beat and act accordingly.

But with jml being harder to beat with kylo, as more jmls hit arena, there were will be less kylos on the meta report. Will it be enough to shift jml over half (if that's what determines if he's meta)? Will kylo stay above half? Will any of these teams be over half?

Time will tell but it won't stay static.
  • Options
    TVF:

Disagree.

Exactly, there isn't going to be a shift in the plans, I don't know how this all blew up. Stick with SLKR and if you were unlucky and went with Rey, stick with her and you will do fine. There is 0 reason to get the new GLs unless you like Luke or Palp, as I mentioned before. Save your crystals for the next GL or legendary that makes their way in to the meta, it would be far more prudent.

And this is just talking about arena, once you factor in PVE, SLKR is 1000% the way to go, hit auto on HSTR and go eat some dinner. Stick with the old GLs and you will get way more bang out of your buck. If you were panic farming, stop, slow down, don't triple refresh and you can get your bloat for GAC on your own time but it won't shift any meta in arena.

SLKR is #1, yes JML is great vs him but so is Rey or JKL or DR, all things that exist already.

• Options
    Much to do about nothing. New Vader is OP anti-Rey. Cry cry cry. Guess what? Months later they give us Piett essentially buffing Vader more.

Your new toons are going to get enhancements. If not from their kits from added characters
  • Options
    TVF:

Disagree.

Well sklr today is a meta, in the future he may not be. We don’t know that yet. But I really doubt that rey and jml will be meta and slkr won’t, I think we will have a diverse meta with all the GLs, that is good, very good. It don’t make untrue what I said, one could only farm 1 GL and will have a meta team for a year. That makes stale to me. If the 4 GL were released at the same time it wouldn’t happen because when new things came out and shift the meta the old ones would be in the same power level

That has always been the case though. If you farmed one of the previous non GL metas, you usually still had a place on the meta report through the next two metas (which was over a year in most cases).

It's a bit different now since they come two at a time. But it won't stay static. For the last several months it's been Rey vs Kylo or a counter vs Rey or Kylo.

Now it'll be Rey vs Jml, jml vs kylo, see vs Rey, see vs jml, kylo vs Rey, kylo vs see, and Rey vs kylo. (I think I got them all but left out the ones that don't work well on offense. )

But that is quite different than before even if it still includes Rey and Kylo.
  • Options
    TVF:

Disagree.

A few examples

Sorry but what is your point? We were/are talking about meta. DR with gmy weren’t a meta. Slkr is a meta.

My point is that saying SLKR is still meta because he's still able to climb and do ok may be incorrect.

With a lot of jmls added, slkr won't be meta. But like the other teams, he'll still do ok for awhile. It usually takes two or three meta shifts to fully push a team out of the meta.

The important thing that I say remains. Is good to have SLKR, Rey, JML and SEE as meta and it is bad.

This makes absolutely no sense.
  • Options
    Much to do about nothing. New Vader is OP anti-Rey. Cry cry cry. Guess what? Months later they give us Piett essentially buffing Vader more.

Your new toons are going to get enhancements. If not from their kits from added characters

I don't find piett to help with vader all that much in pvp. Even counter Rey in arena (and I use vader a lot to do that), I find that Darth revan and dark Bastilla are better since the fear keeps at least half the team from going too early. Vader has plenty of offense without piett and emperors trap only builds when empire units take a turn.

Piett is best saved for imperial troopers in pvp as he makes that team 1000% better and only makes a vader team a little better.
  • Options
    About the "who's the metaest of them all ?" discussion. Top 3 characters on the meta report are, according to swgoh.gg 1) GAS (in 56% of teams), : 2) JKR (51%) 3) Rey (45%)

https://swgoh.gg/stats/meta-report/#all

So it's safe to say that GAS and JKR are pretty important characters in the actual meta.

On older shards with only GL on top, you almost never see GAS or JKR without Rey or JML, true, but you very rarely see Rey or JML without those dudes neither.

GL may come and go, especially if we have 4 more a year, but the 4 sidekicks around them are pretty important indeed, probably to the point that it's pointless going for Rey, JML or SEE if you don't have "meta" characters to fight alongside them; Kylo being (for now) the exception.
  • Options
    Wow! Just checked the meta report.See is a “GL” and he is not even on there. There are very few of them. If that does not tell you how trash this character is then idk what does. No one use the he is new excuse because Jml is up there.As I have said before they tried too hard to make these Gls on “parr” with the others but all they did was make a glorified legendary character whose requirements are a Gls.
  • Starslayer
    2418 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Wow! Just checked the meta report.See is a “GL” and he is not even on there. There are very few of them. If that does not tell you how trash this character is then idk what does. No one use the he is new excuse because Jml is up there.As I have said before they tried too hard to make these Gls on “parr” with the others but all they did was make a glorified legendary character whose requirements are a Gls.

There are 2057 GL Luke and 270 GL SEE on swgoh.gg (14489 Rey and 13989 Kylo). So it's totally expected that SEE is not on the meta report, however powerful/weak he may be.

Edit: however, there are 254 Luke on rank 1 team, so 12%, and 14 Palp, so 5%. So he is under-represented, but the numbers are so low it's hard to draw conclusions.

On a different note, it also shows that requirements for GL Luke were not that bad compared to SEE, apparently.
  • Shiryu
    411 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Starslayer wrote: »

There are 2057 GL Luke and 270 GL SEE on swgoh.gg (14489 Rey and 13989 Kylo). So it's totally expected that SEE is not on the meta report, however powerful/weak he may be.

Edit: however, there are 254 Luke on rank 1 team, so 12%, and 14 Palp, so 5%. So he is under-represented, but the numbers are so low it's hard to draw conclusions.

On a different note, it also shows that requirements for GL Luke were not that bad compared to SEE, apparently.

One of those 14 palps is mine.. and only because I forget to swap back to my SLKR mixed team most the time.

SEE isn't worth it at all.
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Options
    Starslayer wrote: »

The conclusions are:
    -he’s not reliable on offense in arena and downright bad on defense.
    - he’s not good in arena so fewer people are farming him
    - DSTB isn’t difficult enough to be a compelling reason to get a DS GL, LSTB is so that is a good reason alone to get JML for some guilds.
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV