Shard Economy Changes [MEGA]

Replies

• I just don't get how doubling the single shard drops from Bronziums was easier than cutting the price in half?

Cutting the price in half would have entirely avoided this situation.

Instead we loose 40% of our Shard Currency from Bronziums.

This fix is a joke honestly.

You can say it wasn't intentional, but the fix for it wouldn't require much effort & they have chosen not to implement that fix.

Any thoughts of buying a few of the new packs they keep spamming is gone now.

• Kyno wrote: »
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    Morgoth01 wrote: »
    I don’t think the worst of CG, so I don’t believe this was their intent. I think this is much more of an oversight, but then just be honest about it.

We will know soon enough if it is an oversight. My money is on purposeful though.

It's not, but we all know the truth never gets in the way of a good story around here.

It's not an oversight, the bronzium system was out of scope of this project. They tried to fit this fix in to "meet half way", but it's not quite there, as we are pointing out. I cant share more details on the conversations around this, unfortunately.

This was not a purposeful nerf to gear income.

Except it is. Purposeful or not, it’s a nerf to gear income. So I think the term “chop chop” applies to fixing the overall gear economy now because the autoing of a raid with meh rewards does not make up for a nerf to gear economy.

The quote I was replying to, was saying it was purposeful. No one is arguing it's not a nerf.

Again, sure, don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

The only truth I care about is that they needed the gear economy. Out of all mobile games this is one of the worst gear economies out there and their last changes to it have made things worse.
    Kyro’s? Claimed it would help but made the gear crunch much much worse.
    Bronzonium s? Made the gear economy worse by doubling the cost in the shard shops and making any full character pull half of what it used to be worth.

So idc if it was intentional or not, this was a nerf to the gear economy and further increased the gear crunch and the time is now for them to come out with a gear economy change to not only erase their nerf, but make it better than it’s been. Enough is enough already. It’s time for the devs to do their jobs and listen to the community after years of us begging them to make the gear crunch better. No more excuses. No more “let’s wait and see”, fix it.
  • First it was:
    Does not include Bronzium Data Cards due to a technical issue. We will explore increasing this rate in a future update.

Now it is:
    First up is Bronzium packs, these originally were not going to be changed due a technical issue but seeing how important this was to you, the team dedicated some extra time to this and was able to find the issues that were preventing us from updating Bronzium Packs. Character shards dropped from Bronzium Packs will be doubled with the Anniversary Update. (This does not affect full character drops from Bronzium packs)

But there's no "we will be exploring increasing the full character drops from Bronziums issue" statement. Are the Devs are no longer looking into the full character drops at all?
    Fieldgulls wrote: »
    I don’t think the worst of CG, so I don’t believe this was their intent. I think this is much more of an oversight, but then just be honest about it.

We will know soon enough if it is an oversight. My money is on purposeful though.

It's not, but we all know the truth never gets in the way of a good story around here.

It's not an oversight, the bronzium system was out of scope of this project. They tried to fit this fix in to "meet half way", but it's not quite there, as we are pointing out. I cant share more details on the conversations around this, unfortunately.

Based on what I have seen over the past 5 years...is the gist of the project was to look like CG was throwing a bone to new players under the guise of driving more income towards gear purchases. The data shows players are more apt to buy gear than shards. In the mist of said project, and subsequent notification to players, this Bronzium issue or oversight now looks more negative than the perceived positive move to double the shards earned and thus drive gear purchases. Now they come back with a slight fix that really doesn’t do much to resolve problem. Instead of doing the right thing to begin with and keep the shard shop costs the same and help in both areas they now have this mess. Now their hand has been played and people now see what their intent truly is/was..all on top of the 5th anniversary celebration. CG should have just cut to the chase and told everyone just to buy more gear.

Good story, as I said, never let the truth get in the way.

Sure, let us know the real story after they make it up. Love to hear it!!
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    scuba wrote: »
    I love the idea behind the shard economy change.
    I was happy that bronzium issue would be looked at.
    I am sorely disappointed that this is presented as a fix.
    40% reduction is not as bad as 50% to be sure, but it is still a major nerf and increases the long lamented gear crunch.

The main source of shard shop currency will be reduced 40%, gear crunch increases, we have to deal with that.

They probably won't confirm, however I still believe the "technical" issue was/is the full dropped character conversion to shards in bronzium, so They gave us what they could.

They could have simply doubled bronzium acquisition rates. If they "gave us what they could", their problem solving leaves A LOT to be desired.

That's not a good solution either. Just doubles the time spent opening bronizums.

I don't think the bronizum fix did much either but I don't want a fix that doubles mindless button mashing.
    40% reduction is not as bad as 50% to be sure, but it is still a major nerf and increases the long lamented gear crunch.

The main source of shard shop currency will be reduced 40%, gear crunch increases, we have to deal with that.

They probably won't confirm, however I still believe the "technical" issue was/is the full dropped character conversion to shards in bronzium, so They gave us what they could.

They could have simply doubled bronzium acquisition rates. If they "gave us what they could", their problem solving leaves A LOT to be desired.

That's not a good solution either. Just doubles the time spent opening bronizums.

I don't think the bronizum fix did much either but I don't want a fix that doubles mindless button mashing.

Use a clicker. Despite the lack of an official statement, you will never get banned because of it.
  • Jakdnels wrote: »
    First it was:
    Does not include Bronzium Data Cards due to a technical issue. We will explore increasing this rate in a future update.

Now it is:
    First up is Bronzium packs, these originally were not going to be changed due a technical issue but seeing how important this was to you, the team dedicated some extra time to this and was able to find the issues that were preventing us from updating Bronzium Packs. Character shards dropped from Bronzium Packs will be doubled with the Anniversary Update. (This does not affect full character drops from Bronzium packs)

But there's no "we will be exploring increasing the full character drops from Bronziums issue" statement. Are the Devs are no longer looking into the full character drops at all?

And anyone who's familiar with CG's shenanigans over the past 5 years should recognize this for the lie it is. I REFUSE to believe that people responsible for coming up with a game who's machinations are this complicated don't understand that the full pulls are the lion's share of the shard shop currency. I was willing to give Kyno the benefit of the doubt, but re-reading this, and thinking about it again, I'm not so sure. I desperately want to believe Doja being here has signaled a change, but this has me thinking it's more of the same, just with different packaging.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Konju wrote: »
    They say they fixed it, but then stated at the bottom it’s not fixed. Yes, the information is there, which is why I know about it, which is why I am upset. Just be forthright in your communication: “we fixed the but we have yet to find a solution for the full character unlock.” This approach is significantly less deceptive as the language is all located in the same block of text. Not everyone reads everything so it is strategically deceptive. I’m not sure if you’ve ever worked in sales, Kyno, but I sniff this stuff out so easily.

The real joke is CG continuing to “give us benefits” in the form of nerfs.

Not reading everything makes what they said deceptive? ... I guess we can agree to disagree on that point.

Not like, legally deceptive, but in practice yeah. It's the same concept as fine print. Anyone reading purely because they were concerned for the state of Bronziums would've stopped after they read the first text block. Having a separate block makes it so fewer people on the first go around actually read it, it's a legal caveat. Yeah you can't claim you fixed all of something that you didn't fix. But if you leave fine print saying that you didn't actually fix it all, no one is allowed to get mad.

Not deceptive in a court of law, but deceptive as a business practice. You shouldn't read a contract without a lawyer to watch out for those things for you, I wasn't aware we needed personal lawyers to read dev forum posts.

It's not fine print, its literally stated in "the same size text" and not hidden or as part of anything other than the main announcement.

It is not deceptive that someone chooses to stop reading after "the third sentence" in business or otherwise.
    Konju wrote: »
    They say they fixed it, but then stated at the bottom it’s not fixed. Yes, the information is there, which is why I know about it, which is why I am upset. Just be forthright in your communication: “we fixed the but we have yet to find a solution for the full character unlock.” This approach is significantly less deceptive as the language is all located in the same block of text. Not everyone reads everything so it is strategically deceptive. I’m not sure if you’ve ever worked in sales, Kyno, but I sniff this stuff out so easily.

The real joke is CG continuing to “give us benefits” in the form of nerfs.

Not reading everything makes what they said deceptive? ... I guess we can agree to disagree on that point.

Not like, legally deceptive, but in practice yeah. It's the same concept as fine print. Anyone reading purely because they were concerned for the state of Bronziums would've stopped after they read the first text block. Having a separate block makes it so fewer people on the first go around actually read it, it's a legal caveat. Yeah you can't claim you fixed all of something that you didn't fix. But if you leave fine print saying that you didn't actually fix it all, no one is allowed to get mad.

Not deceptive in a court of law, but deceptive as a business practice. You shouldn't read a contract without a lawyer to watch out for those things for you, I wasn't aware we needed personal lawyers to read dev forum posts.

It's not fine print, its literally stated in "the same size text" and not hidden or as part of anything other than the main announcement.

It is not deceptive that someone chooses to stop reading after "the third sentence" in business or otherwise.

Alright then it's the same concept as relevant information being on the second page of a newspaper without adding the "continued on page 3" line. People wouldn't know to look further for more info. There was no reason to separate the text which is why it seems like a conscious choice.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Based on what I have seen over the past 5 years...is the gist of the project was to look like CG was throwing a bone to new players under the guise of driving more income towards gear purchases. The data shows players are more apt to buy gear than shards. In the mist of said project, and subsequent notification to players, this Bronzium issue or oversight now looks more negative than the perceived positive move to double the shards earned and thus drive gear purchases. Now they come back with a slight fix that really doesn’t do much to resolve problem. Instead of doing the right thing to begin with and keep the shard shop costs the same and help in both areas they now have this mess. Now their hand has been played and people now see what their intent truly is/was..all on top of the 5th anniversary celebration. CG should have just cut to the chase and told everyone just to buy more gear.

You keep saying this man, but when you look at the introduction of kyro, they said it was to "diversify the gear crunch" and presented it as a positive, Just. Like. This. Now we all know it wasn't - it was a way to increase the gear crunch and therefore revenue. Previous history is often the best predictor of current results. In light of this, why should we trust anything anyone from CG is saying about this right now? Especially since it's an obvious, verifiable, provable, painful nerf? And in light of the fact that there are remedial measures that could be taken to mitigate it, but those are being ignored? What's the quote from that old Clint Eastwood western? "Don't p!**** down my back and tell me it's raining!"? You can keep saying it's not an intentional nerf all you want, but that doesn't make it so.

The point is, things like this have happened before, and CG has long since forfeit any benefit of the doubt.

Great story, dont let the truth about this situation get in the way of that.

I'm not saying you should believe them, that's your choice, but then dont read it because you are going to choose to make up your own story anyway. Which is fine, but there is no need to tell it back as if the story you made is what they have said or intended.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Except it is. Purposeful or not, it’s a nerf to gear income. So I think the term “chop chop” applies to fixing the overall gear economy now because the autoing of a raid with meh rewards does not make up for a nerf to gear economy.

The quote I was replying to, was saying it was purposeful. No one is arguing it's not a nerf.

The only truth I care about is that they needed the gear economy. Out of all mobile games this is one of the worst gear economies out there and their last changes to it have made things worse.
    Bronzonium s? Made the gear economy worse by doubling the cost in the shard shops and making any full character pull half of what it used to be worth.

So idc if it was intentional or not, this was a nerf to the gear economy and further increased the gear crunch and the time is now for them to come out with a gear economy change to not only erase their nerf, but make it better than it’s been. Enough is enough already. It’s time for the devs to do their jobs and listen to the community after years of us begging them to make the gear crunch better. No more excuses. No more “let’s wait and see”, fix it.

Then we are talking about 2 different things. I was replying to someone who does care or at least was talking about it being intentional. Which its not.

Yes they should address this, I never said they shouldnt. Yes this is not a net neutral for older players which was thier stated goal.

How they get there is thier choice, we dont have to like it, but there is little point in trying to demand they "fix it". We can choose to work together and communicate what we think, but in the end the process they run and how they want to handle the economy is on them.

You keep saying this man, but when you look at the introduction of kyro, they said it was to "diversify the gear crunch" and presented it as a positive, Just. Like. This. Now we all know it wasn't - it was a way to increase the gear crunch and therefore revenue. Previous history is often the best predictor of current results. In light of this, why should we trust anything anyone from CG is saying about this right now? Especially since it's an obvious, verifiable, provable, painful nerf? And in light of the fact that there are remedial measures that could be taken to mitigate it, but those are being ignored? What's the quote from that old Clint Eastwood western? "Don't p!**** down my back and tell me it's raining!"? You can keep saying it's not an intentional nerf all you want, but that doesn't make it so.

The point is, things like this have happened before, and CG has long since forfeit any benefit of the doubt.

I'm not saying you should believe them, that's your choice, but then dont read it because you are going to choose to make up your own story anyway. Which is fine, but there is no need to tell it back as if the story you made is what they have said or intended.

Then they should feel free to answer the questions, or at least tell us why they can't. Again, you're the only one who's said why you can't talk. Why aren't the devs in here after releasing update notes regarding a controversial topic? They acknowledged that it was important to us, knew that there were at least two separate active threads discussing the issue as part of their main topic, and then when they knowingly didn't address 80% of the issue, they didn't drop in to see what we'd say?

It may not be malicious, it may not be purposeful, and it may not be for any reason other than that they don't have time. But at that point it's still mismanagement of a fully functional and freshly staffed community team. Talk to the community.
  • Shadowmaster4
    475 posts Member
    edited November 2020

Then we are talking about 2 different things. I was replying to someone who does care or at least was talking about it being intentional. Which its not.

Yes they should address this, I never said they shouldnt. Yes this is not a net neutral for older players which was thier stated goal.

How they get there is thier choice, we dont have to like it, but there is little point in trying to demand they "fix it". We can choose to work together and communicate what we think, but in the end the process they run and how they want to handle the economy is on them.

Then they should stop saying that they value our input and telling us they'll gladly expand the community team to interact with us and take our criticisms into account. If they're gonna throw them out the window, they may as well tell us to shut up and ban critical forum posts.

In the end they run the process, yes, but that *never* means we just have to roll over and take it. That's literally what forum posts are for if you aren't just discussing how blessed you are in the game. Valid questions and criticisms to give the devs an idea of what the community thinks of the game.

If the "way they get there" is by not getting their at all, then why do they even bother continuing to update the game?
  • I'm sorry - at what point should we stop believing the "Ooops! We did it again" :shrug: response from CG when it comes to "accidentally" doing things that are a detriment to the player base? How long are supposed to pretend they don't understand the nuances of their own game? Or that they don't realize the impact on the game's economy when they allegedly have someone whose entire job it is to track and balance the game's economy?

I'm a firm believer of Hanlon's razor, but come on.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • MaruMaru wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Use a clicker. Despite the lack of an official statement, you will never get banned because of it.

Even with a clicker, doubling the amount needed to be opened doubles the time it takes. And that is not a good solution.

It would be just as easy to put extra shards or gear in the dailies to offset the nerf from bronizums. If you assume that you are losing a fully crafted stun gun a month they could just add 2 salvage a day to dailies to make up for it. Make it a random mix of what's in the shard shop to offset it. They could fine tune it to get as close as possible to neutral but error on the side of slightly lessening the gear crunch.

Or they could adjust the shard shop prices to account for bronizums not being fixed. It takes a bit of math to get the perfect price but there is a lot of room between leaving it completely alone and doubling it. Maybe make the gear cost 150% of the current amount to account for some extra shards but not all of them. A calculation of how many shards you get from stores, events, and bronizums could be done to find the price that would leave gear acquisition relatively the same (since that is their stated goal).

Both of those solutions would be easy and not have the unintended consequences of doubling ally points.

• Both of those solutions would be easy and not have the unintended consequences of doubling ally points.

And would actually be following the intention of their original posts: easing the grind for new players while keeping end-game relatively neutral so they can work on the other economy later.
    I'm sorry - at what point should we stop believing the "Ooops! We did it again" :shrug: response from CG when it comes to "accidentally" doing things that are a detriment to the player base? How long are supposed to pretend they don't understand the nuances of their own game? Or that they don't realize the impact on the game's economy when they allegedly have someone whose entire job it is to track and balance the game's economy?

I'm a firm believer of Hanlon's razor, but come on.

I'm with you on this one.

There are two possibilities.

1. They are lying and knew this was a nerf and think we're too stupid to know it.

2. They are incompetent and don't realize that 80 or 90 percent of bronizum shards come from full character drops and actually though this would fix the issue.

The third option was bad communication in the post, but kyno confirmed that wasn't the case.
  • I am wondering if they just did this because people were complaining about how they weren't going to do anything.

Even with a clicker, doubling the amount needed to be opened doubles the time it takes. And that is not a good solution.

It would be just as easy to put extra shards or gear in the dailies to offset the nerf from bronizums. If you assume that you are losing a fully crafted stun gun a month they could just add 2 salvage a day to dailies to make up for it. Make it a random mix of what's in the shard shop to offset it. They could fine tune it to get as close as possible to neutral but error on the side of slightly lessening the gear crunch.

Or they could adjust the shard shop prices to account for bronizums not being fixed. It takes a bit of math to get the perfect price but there is a lot of room between leaving it completely alone and doubling it. Maybe make the gear cost 150% of the current amount to account for some extra shards but not all of them. A calculation of how many shards you get from stores, events, and bronizums could be done to find the price that would leave gear acquisition relatively the same (since that is their stated goal).

Both of those solutions would be easy and not have the unintended consequences of doubling ally points.

These patch up solutions doesn't sound good to me as every players loss on this is different, i.e. you refill three times as much as me so you would lose a lot more from bronzium change. I'd be super fine with doubling the coins. If you don't wanna spend the time open up bronziums, the same problem has persisted until now too. No matter how this goes, I'll keep leaving the thing on clicker every 100k or such.
  • I am wondering if they just did this because people were complaining about how they weren't going to do anything.

I mean, if that's the case, they were better off doing nothing. Now that we know they heard us and are actually capable of fixing it, I'm more annoyed that they didn't actually address a huge part of the issue. They cherry-picked to get us to shut up if that's what you're saying, and it would've been better if they left it as is and did a full fix later.
    MaruMaru wrote: »

These patch up solutions doesn't sound good to me as every players loss on this is different, i.e. you refill three times as much as me so you would lose a lot more from bronzium change. I'd be super fine with doubling the coins. If you don't wanna spend the time open up bronziums, the same problem has persisted until now too. No matter how this goes, I'll keep leaving the thing on clicker every 100k or such.

Agree to disagree I guess. There's no solution that will make everyone happy. But my suggestions bring it close.

Your suggestion would just lead to more complaining that something needs to be done about the tedium of bronizums. And even clearing them every 100k, you still have to go in and use the auto clicker more often or wait for it to run longer. It isn't an good solution.

• Both of those solutions would be easy and not have the unintended consequences of doubling ally points.

And would actually be following the intention of their original posts: easing the grind for new players while keeping end-game relatively neutral so they can work on the other economy later.

That is the idea. I'm not going to suggest solutions that fall outside of what they are trying to accomplish (or what they say they want to accomplish). That would be a waste of time.
    MaruMaru wrote: »

Agree to disagree I guess. There's no solution that will make everyone happy. But my suggestions bring it close.

Your suggestion would just lead to more complaining that something needs to be done about the tedium of bronizums. And even clearing them every 100k, you still have to go in and use the auto clicker more often or wait for it to run longer. It isn't an good solution.

It was always the solution, so it changes nothing. Doubt bronzium opening tedium is why cg is not doubling coins though.
  • Konju
    1142 posts Member

Then they should feel free to answer the questions, or at least tell us why they can't. Again, you're the only one who's said why you can't talk. Why aren't the devs in here after releasing update notes regarding a controversial topic? They acknowledged that it was important to us, knew that there were at least two separate active threads discussing the issue as part of their main topic, and then when they knowingly didn't address 80% of the issue, they didn't drop in to see what we'd say?

It may not be malicious, it may not be purposeful, and it may not be for any reason other than that they don't have time. But at that point it's still mismanagement of a fully functional and freshly staffed community team. Talk to the community.

I honestly feel bad for Kyno having to do so much defense work for CG. Unfortunately, since Kyno cannot say anything (respected and understood) except, “no you’ll see” and “cool story, truth says otherwise” we can only wait and see what CG has to say about future fixes etc.

I would definitely prefer CG answer these questions honestly. Will full drops from bronzium packs be fixed or not? So far the stated intent of shard benefits with neutral results in other areas is a lie. I want to know how they plan to “make good” on their original intent.
  • Konju
    1142 posts Member
    I have seen a great many fixes in here that would be of neutral consequence with regard to loss of shard shop currency from reduced value of full character unlocks from bronzium packs. I am hopeful that the devs do find something to offset the “unintended” nerf. I am also hopeful that renewed activity on this post will bring about a response sooner than later.

The truth of this situation: They are intentionally nerfing the shard shop conversion from bronziums. No need for a story.
  • JarJarRequissa
    195 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    well for some reason im being silenced again and cant share my opinion

culiwccztp84.png
  • well for some reason im being silenced again and cant share my opinion

culiwccztp84.png

That's a forum related problem. Pm @Kyno with the topic it happened in, he'll bring it back. It happens because you edit the post...I think there's some sort of spam filter and that counts as too fast replies or something...not sure.
    well for some reason im being silenced again and cant share my opinion

culiwccztp84.png

That's a forum related problem. Pm @Kyno with the topic it happened in, he'll bring it back. It happens because you edit the post...I think there's some sort of spam filter and that counts as too fast replies or something...not sure.

thanks. i often somehow get caught in the spam filter. i did try to edit this post this time to fix some spelling mistakes so for once it might not be devious reasons why the spam filter silenced me. hopefully kyno approves the post even though i am critical of the situation.
  • These threads (especially hot ones like this) evolve quickly. I can't read every post, although I wish I could.

You've been heard on the full character drop rates and I took that to the devs.

As far as "why doesn't Doja get on here to explain why he can't explain something??" sentiment, I feel like I've said many times that I'll give you as much info as possible when possible. I've also pointed out these reasons can range from legal, to in-development, to unknown, and everything in between.

I refuse to come out here and risk spreading false/unconfirmed info (or info that is subject to change). It isn't fair to any of us, it builds up expectations that could then never materialize, or perhaps CG has to change course because of an unforeseen issue and it becomes moot.