This new GAC isn't skill based matchmaking. Change my mind

Replies

• Options
    Based upon OP’s comments in his other thread tonight, it’s pointless to try to change his mind

Seems like you don't have a good argument
  • Options
    ImaSmakya wrote: »
    Alas, my mind changing skills have not yet reached kyber level so I will be unable to change your mind 🤷‍♂️

Sounds about right
  • Options
    Strategy is part of the skill.
  • Options
    Starslayer wrote: »
    Yeah you read that correctly. Why does CG think this is good for the community? No clue. It's definitely a community killer. They have 3 galactic legends and 1.2 million more GP than me. How is this a fair and balanced game? I'm utterly lost as to why this was implemented and even more confused as to the confused individuals that thought this would be a good idea. Explain again how is this fair? (Edited portion)--- A lot of people are eager to argue you can beat people with higher GP. That is correct, but do explain why someone can't get to kyber then?
    Starslayer wrote: »
    Its funny how we can sit here and decide I lost unless what.. he throws the game? Doesn't attack? Theoretically he could end up in Carbonite. Whereas if this were a pro league in a game you'd get banned for this sort of behavior. Not docked on your skill rating. GP based Matchmaking was infinitely better.
    Hard disagree.

It was infinitely worse.

I wish this was a matter of opinion. Every other sport and tournament in the world works this way. 3 million GP is high-school football more than a million GP than me and 3 GLs is college D1 football. It's that simple. They can't compete. Different leagues.

Goody, analogy !

That’s so not true, my most likely american friend. Here in Europe, in soccer (and about every other sport), 3 gls with high budget are matched against 0 gls with low budget every week. And at the end of season, the team with the fewer skill point gets demoted, even if it’s a 3 gls team, and the winner in the lower division gets promoted to play against 3 gls with high budget teams. Teams are matched based on their results, even if they didn’t build their roster with the same amount of money. No salary cap whatsoever.

About your case: you may lose this round and it won’t matter for your crystal revenue. Let’s say you need 15 victories to reach your 50/50 spot in the ladder. 15-0, 20-5 or 25-10 will net you about the same rewards. So accident in mm where you go against someone who dropped because reasons are of little (if any) consequences.

Your thinking about pro league divisions, not different leagues overall.

Divisions, leagues or something else, the point is in some sports, you have 3 gls teams facing no gls teams all the time, so I challenged your claim. Last week was a "PSG - Reims" soccer game. One team has a 620M€ budget (and lots of GLs), the other one 60M€ budget and whoever they can buy, because there is no draft, you just sign players in your team, so the wealthiest teams get all the best players. On top of that, "Clermont", a 20M€ team played last year in an inferior league, won the inferior league, got promoted and will now face the 620M€ budget team and other out of its reach. No one expect them to win, but they're here and happy to be here, and if they manage to win some they won't be demoted.

So I strongly disagree with the "every other sport and tournament in the world doesn't work this way" statement.

Analogy apart, my point about GAC still stands: as long as you're not playing for the top spots of K1, a defeat because of an unlucky matchup now and then doesn't hurt your crystal revenue on the whole.

Again your referencing teams in similar divisions. My analogy applies to a teams that are younger, lets say kids in high-school soccer teams. You can't compare them to 25-30 year old internationally renowned soccer players. Let the younger teens verse other teens in their same school division. The way the system is right now we're letting highschoolers verse 20 year old+ adult teams. That doesn't make sense and in that scenario wouldn't be safe. Those younger teens(lets say 3 million gp) shouldn't be playing people that are 20 years old (4-5 million gp). This isn't skill based matchmaking, those highschoolers should be able to win state championship if they're skilled enough but in their own division (kyber 5). Where as pro league teams will verse in kyber 1. It's that simple
    I don't really know what your point is.

This game mode is to encourage and reward development. If that is development over time, or quickly via big spending doesn't really matter.

As players are able to fill the defence slots effectively, and still score more banners than their opponents on attack, they get more skill points, and they will get promoted.

At some point they will reach a league where they cannot effectively fill the defence and still attack well enough compared to the players around them. Then they will lose. If they lose enough they will get demoted to where their roster (and use of it) is effective again.

In kyber it is a bit different, because you have reached the point where you don't need to place more teams as you move up. Just the quality of teams needs to improve.

GAC is a game mode that consists of strategy and tactics. Strategy being how your resources are used to get the teams you need and setting up a team to succeed through team selection and modding. Tactics being where you put them on the table, and what buttons you push/targets you select during a battle. The skill rating comes from both your strategy and your tactics.

It will not always be fair. It just can't always be fair. Some people's strategy will have been so much better than others that the tactics hardly matter. Some people's strategy falls short in one area, perhaps mods for example, that the rest of their strategy or tactics cannot overcome. Some people's tactics are bad. The greatest tactician will not win if their strategy does not enable them to employ the tactics they want. Sometimes a plain old mistake is made, be it fat fingers or brain fade. . In all of these cases skill points will go up or down based on performance.

If you are seeing players that appear overwhelming, then either, we'll done you must be awesome, or they are terrible/inactive. An inactive player suddenly going active is a pain, and maybe that needs looking at by the developers. But it does not mean the entire system is broken.

I have played a long time and I vastly prefer this performance based system over the developers trying to create matches via some algorithm. They have proven many times over that they cannot do that very well.

I love that you've at least heard me out compared to everyone else that is bitter. The changes I love are the rewards and those rewards is what keeping a lot of people biased. That doesn't mean that I'm more or less wrong though. My point has always centered around it clearly not being skill based matchmaking. If it was skill based anyone could get to kyber, but they can't achieve kyber status without having a large roster, that's not skill, that's experience.
  • Options

Yes but tell me how anyone in this game can be kyber through just skill alone.
  • Options
    It's funny because you use to be able to get to kyber with just skill alone
    That's why you see people with 2-3 million GP with kyber tags
  • Options

Good roster is skill,
    According to you at least.
    Playing well helps too.
    Exactly though that's a fair match up, they actually organized their roster through skill and and determination whereas the other person made mindless choices. It's a much fairer comparison.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    Skill is part of the strategy
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Options

Good roster is skill,
    Playing well helps too.
    Exactly though that's a fair match up, they actually organized their roster through skill and and determination whereas the other person made mindless choices. It's a much fairer comparison.

Good roster is skill? So people in kyber have good rosters vs someone who has a smaller roster in chromium? So chromium has less skill because their roster is smaller? Doesn't sound like skill to me.
  • Options
    Gifafi wrote: »
    Skill is part of the strategy

Ah yes but if it's based in skill then it truly will triumph over all other concepts, yes? But in this case that isn't true.
  • Options
    It's weird how we redefine skill to match CGs money making interest. This new system benefits people who whale, not people who are skilled. Lmao, so simple. The old GAC system with the new GAC rewards, that's something that's actually skill based. Tell me again how someone with less GP is less "skilled". You're triggered because you're wrong
  • Options

Good roster is skill,
    Playing well helps too.

Good roster is skill? So people in kyber have good rosters vs someone who has a smaller roster in chromium? So chromium has less skill because their roster is smaller? Doesn't sound like skill to me.

Hey, they were your words.
    So are Kyber rosters worse
    Than Chromium ones?
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    I haven’t dropped out of kyber (yet) so clearly the system is working fine. I mean, that is the barometer, right?

What's your GP? Do you have any GLs? Are you trying to say anyone can get into kyber if they're skilled enough or are you just privileged enough to have a large enough roster to be in kyber?

8m. All GL’s. I am not saying any of that. But I am confused. You seem upset that someone with, for example, just a ep vader team and an Ewoks team can’t skill their way up to end game? Maybe end game isn’t for them.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Options

Good roster is skill,
    Playing well helps too.

Than Chromium ones?

No no please quote where I said that go ahead
  • Options
    It's weird how we redefine skill to match CGs money making interest. This new system benefits people who whale, not people who are skilled. Lmao, so simple. The old GAC system with the new GAC rewards, that's something that's actually skill based. Tell me again how someone with less GP is less "skilled". You're triggered because you're wrong

We're triggered, you made
    50 comments in two days
    For the fun of it :D
  • Options

Good roster is skill,
    Playing well helps too.

Than Chromium ones?

Kyber rosters don't have more skill anymore, they have the newest characters and the newest omicrons with the biggest rosters. That's not skill, that's money talking.
  • Options

Good roster is skill,
    Playing well helps too.

Than Chromium ones?

No no please quote where I said that go ahead
    So people in kyber have good rosters vs someone who has a smaller roster in chromium?

You asked the question,
    I figured you disagreed
    Else why would you ask?
  • Options
    I haven’t dropped out of kyber (yet) so clearly the system is working fine. I mean, that is the barometer, right?

What's your GP? Do you have any GLs? Are you trying to say anyone can get into kyber if they're skilled enough or are you just privileged enough to have a large enough roster to be in kyber?

8m. All GL’s. I am not saying any of that. But I am confused. You seem upset that someone with, for example, just a ep vader team and an Ewoks team can’t skill their way up to end game? Maybe end game isn’t for them.

You seem to not understand what skill based matchmaking is. That's OK. Skill based matchmaking is where 200 people with 1 million GP rosters verse and the person with the best roster and most skilled is 1st. That person is aware kyber division 5, or 6, or 7, or 10. Definitely not "end game" where kyber division 1 would be.
  • Options

Good roster is skill,
    Playing well helps too.

Than Chromium ones?

Kyber rosters don't have more skill anymore, they have the newest characters and the newest omicrons with the biggest rosters. That's not skill, that's money talking.

I have none of those
    On my FTP account,
    It must be a glitch

https://swgoh.gg/p/638166995/characters/
  • Options

Good roster is skill,
    Playing well helps too.

Than Chromium ones?

I have none of those
    On my FTP account,
    It must be a glitch

CAT isn't new? You have GLs, legendary characters, etc. That's an experienced roster, good characters, you do have skill, but it's still not skill based matchmaking, it's a GP based hierarchy, not based in skill.
  • Options

Good roster is skill,
    Playing well helps too.

Than Chromium ones?

I have none of those
    On my FTP account,
    It must be a glitch

CAT isn't new? You have GLs, legendary characters, etc. That's an experienced roster, good characters, you do have skill, but it's still not skill based matchmaking, it's a GP based hierarchy, not based in skill.

9 months? Not really.
    Managing GP is skill,
    According to you
  • TVF
    36762 posts Member
    Options
    Wait who is bitter? The people that are ok with the new system but not the person who made two threads and fifty posts to complain about it. What is happening?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Wait who is bitter? The people that are ok with the new system but not the person who made two threads and fifty posts to complain about it. What is happening?

Probably the person going out of their way to not make any useful arguments but rather incite negative comments towards me and my stance.
  • Options

Good roster is skill,
    Playing well helps too.

Than Chromium ones?

I have none of those
    On my FTP account,
    It must be a glitch

9 months? Not really.
    Managing GP is skill,
    According to you

No, According to me matching people with equal GP is a fairer way to measure skill. Managing GP isn't a part of the process. Please tell me again how 2 million GP can "out skill" someone with 7 million GP. Tell me again how that will require skill.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

All you've done is harass everything I say without making any useful arguments. Do you like doing that? Harassing people? Is that what your good at? Calling people silly? Making fun of their username? Isolating them? Is that what you like doing? Such a good person. Real creme of the crop.
  • Options

Good roster is skill,
    Playing well helps too.

Than Chromium ones?

I have none of those
    On my FTP account,
    It must be a glitch

9 months? Not really.
    Managing GP is skill,
    According to you

No, According to me matching people with equal GP is a fairer way to measure skill. Managing GP isn't a part of the process. Please tell me again how 2 million GP can "out skill" someone with 7 million GP. Tell me again how that will require skill.

But the old system
    Didn't match on GP, they
    Scrapped that idea.
  • Options

Good roster is skill,
    Playing well helps too.

Than Chromium ones?

I have none of those
    On my FTP account,
    It must be a glitch

9 months? Not really.
    Managing GP is skill,
    According to you

And when they matched solely on GP, there were dozens of posts about the fact that matchmaking **** cuz it didn’t take this or that into account. There is no way they could ever do this and make everyone happy, you just happen to be one of those on the unhappy side of the fence for this particular method, I on the other hand am fine with it.

Life goes on.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • Options
    And if you match on
    GP, managing it is
    A big part of that.
  • Options
    ImaSmakya wrote: »

Good roster is skill,
    Playing well helps too.

Than Chromium ones?

I have none of those
    On my FTP account,
    It must be a glitch

9 months? Not really.
    Managing GP is skill,
    According to you

And when they matched solely on GP, there were dozens of posts about the fact that matchmaking **** cuz it didn’t take this or that into account. There is no way they could ever do this and make everyone happy, you just happen to be one of those on the unhappy side of the fence for this particular method, I on the other hand am fine with it.

Life goes on.

Great you finally respond without harassment. Thanks. Everyone fine with it has a large roster, everyone with a larger roster is biased because this favors their success. It's harder for newer players to succeed this way. The old GAC was skill based because it sets the two opponents equal to one another, where as this has no clear definition of equality
  • Options
    And if you match on
    GP, managing it is
    A big part of that.

So managing GP isn't skill? Is that what your saying? Or just the fact alone that having larger GP is skill? Which one sounds more like a skill to you?
This discussion has been closed.