This new GAC isn't skill based matchmaking. Change my mind

Replies

• Options
    I've seen first hand opponents in Carbonite with GLs. The sheer fact that if TW worked this way, a guild with 300 million GP could lose their way into versing 100 million GP guilds for the sake of better win rewards while climbing back up is not only incentive but possible. The rewards for wins don't change for divisions or leagues keep this in mind as well.
  • Options
    Matchmaking could be perfectly skill based if it matched closely by GP. I'm talking +/- 500k in GP, maybe +/-999k, like the old system, but if you lose you go down, if you win you go up. Divisions are separated by GP, 1 being the highest. That is literally the most balanced it could ever be right there ^^ not that hard to design either.

You could also broaden those GP margins as you go higher through divisions as the ratio difference between GP will stay the same. It's that easy to design.

They just don't do that because it doesn't push *money* even though that my proposition would attract newer players and grow the community instead of kill it and leave the whales to eat up the rest of the game. If they want more money they have to be asking the entire world, not just the whales already in it.

That system could still be using the same "skill rating" as long as the divisions are separated by GP and the margins are slowly increased through divisions to manage the same ratio. That way anyone can prove their skill and climb the ranks, not just spend money and do better

That
    Ponf wrote: »

What's your GP though? A 2 million difference from 7-9 or 8-10 isn't the same as a 1 to 2 millions difference from 1-2 or 1-3. For you to experience the same ratio you'd have to verse 12 million, 14 million GP. Also, if TW matches based on GP why does GAC not? Seems like they didn't think about how one game mode ends up being more balanced than the other. It is *that* big of a deal considering they move ALL the rewards to GAC.

My GP is 3.5 mln . I have SLKR, Padme, GG, Relics - 32, zetas - 36. My rival has 5.37 GP, SLKR, Padme, DR, JKR, GAS, GG, Relics - 53 and 108 zetas. He only has an advantage because he's been playing longer than me. As for me it's unfair compete with players who started earlier and they have more time for farm.
    I don’t have the best warehouse, but it’s competitive and I got into kyber with the previous system, where I competed with approximately equal opponents in the GP. Now I won't be able to reach kybera in the next couple of years.
    anyway you have at least two choices: you can quit this game (2/3 of krakens on my SA droped the game after latest updated SA/GAC) or play for fun:)

And TW isn't based on GP. I was in guild 340+ mln and we checked in 49/50 guildmembers (338-339 mln GP) and rival guild had 280 mln GP. Also we had a double advantage in the legend and our rivals lost without chance. But when we were in full force, we met guild 380+ mln GP. And in this case we lost without chance)))

It is based on GP. You compete in a GP margin for tw. I play competitively and for fun- it's not about my personal choices, I'll keep playing- but that doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to raise concerns as to the balance of a previously more balanced game mode. I love this game in general, but for it to last longer its going to have to face the fact that it's possibly hindering it's growth by chasing money too strongly
    How does TW compete in a GP margin?

Guilds are being matched with huge GP disadvantages even when all 50 of the larger guild has signed up?

If you click the rewards tab you can see that the rewards not only depend on your guilds active GP, but that the other guild is matched in a similar GP margin as you because of this. It's a +/- and it'll be even harder to find closer match ups in TW, but that's the part I truly enjoy about the usage of omicrons. If only it was a similar system in GAC
    You are flat out wrong on that.

I’ve seen guilds of 340M facing guilds of 280M, both from completely different reward brackets.

I'm not flat out wrong, those guilds verse in a GP margin. There's a large difference and that does suck, perhaps those margins should be minimalized, but in that case you'd be backing my argument. GP obviously does matter and allowing rampant GP growth for guilds and players that benefit from larger GP is quite the snowball effect.
    Care to enlighten us what the margin is?

I’m sure you’ll give me a figure that is completely accurate and not at all guess work.
  • Options
    Matchmaking could be perfectly skill based if it matched closely by GP. I'm talking +/- 500k in GP, maybe +/-999k, like the old system, but if you lose you go down, if you win you go up. Divisions are separated by GP, 1 being the highest. That is literally the most balanced it could ever be right there ^^ not that hard to design either.

You could also broaden those GP margins as you go higher through divisions as the ratio difference between GP will stay the same. It's that easy to design.

They just don't do that because it doesn't push *money* even though that my proposition would attract newer players and grow the community instead of kill it and leave the whales to eat up the rest of the game. If they want more money they have to be asking the entire world, not just the whales already in it.

That system could still be using the same "skill rating" as long as the divisions are separated by GP and the margins are slowly increased through divisions to manage the same ratio. That way anyone can prove their skill and climb the ranks, not just spend money and do better

That

What's your GP though? A 2 million difference from 7-9 or 8-10 isn't the same as a 1 to 2 millions difference from 1-2 or 1-3. For you to experience the same ratio you'd have to verse 12 million, 14 million GP. Also, if TW matches based on GP why does GAC not? Seems like they didn't think about how one game mode ends up being more balanced than the other. It is *that* big of a deal considering they move ALL the rewards to GAC.

My GP is 3.5 mln . I have SLKR, Padme, GG, Relics - 32, zetas - 36. My rival has 5.37 GP, SLKR, Padme, DR, JKR, GAS, GG, Relics - 53 and 108 zetas. He only has an advantage because he's been playing longer than me. As for me it's unfair compete with players who started earlier and they have more time for farm.
    I don’t have the best warehouse, but it’s competitive and I got into kyber with the previous system, where I competed with approximately equal opponents in the GP. Now I won't be able to reach kybera in the next couple of years.
    anyway you have at least two choices: you can quit this game (2/3 of krakens on my SA droped the game after latest updated SA/GAC) or play for fun:)

And TW isn't based on GP. I was in guild 340+ mln and we checked in 49/50 guildmembers (338-339 mln GP) and rival guild had 280 mln GP. Also we had a double advantage in the legend and our rivals lost without chance. But when we were in full force, we met guild 380+ mln GP. And in this case we lost without chance)))

It is based on GP. You compete in a GP margin for tw. I play competitively and for fun- it's not about my personal choices, I'll keep playing- but that doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to raise concerns as to the balance of a previously more balanced game mode. I love this game in general, but for it to last longer its going to have to face the fact that it's possibly hindering it's growth by chasing money too strongly

Guilds are being matched with huge GP disadvantages even when all 50 of the larger guild has signed up?

If you click the rewards tab you can see that the rewards not only depend on your guilds active GP, but that the other guild is matched in a similar GP margin as you because of this. It's a +/- and it'll be even harder to find closer match ups in TW, but that's the part I truly enjoy about the usage of omicrons. If only it was a similar system in GAC

I’ve seen guilds of 340M facing guilds of 280M, both from completely different reward brackets.

I'm not flat out wrong, those guilds verse in a GP margin. There's a large difference and that does suck, perhaps those margins should be minimalized, but in that case you'd be backing my argument. GP obviously does matter and allowing rampant GP growth for guilds and players that benefit from larger GP is quite the snowball effect.

I’m sure you’ll give me a figure that is completely accurate and not at all guess work.

Like i said, scroll to the rewards tab for the TW in game and you'll see the GP margins. If your versing a guild that has 100 million more GP than you, that's their combined and current GP. The GP is logged at the setup phase and you qualify to verse each other because that's the active GP (for those that signed up for the TW). It's not guess work- that's how your paired. It's very likely only the higher GP members signed up and your versing the bulk of that guilds power, but the active GP is in that margin regardless.
  • Options

That

Like i said, scroll to the rewards tab for the TW in game and you'll see the GP margins. If your versing a guild that has 100 million more GP than you, that's their combined and current GP. The GP is logged at the setup phase and you qualify to verse each other because that's the active GP (for those that signed up for the TW). It's not guess work- that's how your paired. It's very likely only the higher GP members signed up and your versing the bulk of that guilds power, but the active GP is in that margin regardless.
    This is complete and demonstrable rubbish. TW matches are not exclusively within one reward bracket.

Check out any of the many TW mismatch threads. I’ll link a couple for you in next post.

You should try to research things in a bit more detail before posting such sweeping statements about it.
  • Options

That

That's the reason they've had to do very little work in TW matching until recently when GLs and omicrons started coming off the conveyer belt.
  • Options

That

This is complete and demonstrable rubbish. TW matches are not exclusively within one reward bracket.

Check out any of the many TW mismatch threads. I’ll link a couple for you in next post.

You should try to research things in a bit more detail before posting such sweeping statements about it.

Go ahead and link me. The other guild has the same "active gp" as you unless your in the 380 million bracket. It isn't all that complicated.
  • Options
    Here’s one of our recent matches. Both guilds were 50/50 (I know this because all zones were 50 teams).

But the active GP for both guilds was in different reward brackets

kdv0lutpfrk1.jpeg
  • Options

That

Go ahead and link me. The other guild has the same "active gp" as you unless your in the 380 million bracket. It isn't all that complicated.

Too complicated for you, it would seem.
  • Options

That

Do you even see the small GP difference? It's not always a perfect match but it places you in or closest to the active GP match. It's probably harder to find a lot of guilds within the top GP brackets for obvious reason: there aren't a lot of top guilds. If you were in smaller guilds you'd realize that it often keeps you within the active GP bracket. It's okay to learn something every once in a while dude, relax.
  • Options

That

And while glossing over what was the one except I made about GP margins? 380 million guilds. Guess what your opponent was 🤨
  • Options

That

Do you even see the small GP difference? It's not always a perfect match but it places you in or closest to the active GP match. It's probably harder to find a lot of guilds within the top GP brackets for obvious reason: there aren't a lot of top guilds. If you were in smaller guilds you'd realize that it often keeps you within the active GP bracket. It's okay to learn something every once in a while dude, relax.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/253360/potential-tw-matchmaking-issues#latest

I’m glad it’s ok to learn something.

Let me know what you learn after reading the original post in this thread.
  • Options
    Just make sure you’re relaxed when you learn it. Dude.
  • Options

That

And while glossing over what was the one except I made about GP margins? 380 million guilds. Guess what your opponent was 🤨
    Looking forward to your take on the next link posted
  • Options
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/250417/what-the#latest

Here’s one the other way, where the poster is in the guild with the advantage but knows for certain the guilds are matched across reward brackets.

And please don’t tell me there’s a shortage of guilds in that GP range.
  • Options

Have you ever heard the concept of outliers? It's when you look at data and there's a handful of numbers outside the generality of the core data. That's what your tagging me in. Compare those to nearly every TW to have ever taken place and plot it on a graph, mismatches do happen, but those examples will be outliers compared to most core match up data. You seem mad that I'm telling you how the match up system is suppose to work, yes it could fail- it is just an algorithm and it does have limited choices, so you will get that, it's not shocking, but that's how the algorithm works. I never said it was perfect, but it's far more balanced than GAC. instead of GAC having occasional or maybe even frequent outliers, it's nearly every single match up. That's how it feels for lower level players, I'm glad you share the same frustration, but what shocks me is that you have somehow justified it when it comes to GAC, but not when it comes to TW.
  • Options

This game has been around for several years too, so I bet you could imagine the amount of stacking outliers that seem to account for every TW. You may have convinced me if this wasn't an old game, but like I said, the system will struggle when it has limited choices, top guilds are around those numbers given, so it's still not surprising. I'm sure CG is aware of this but they can't improve it considering the problem is the lack of sample size. Given I do research for a living these examples are obviously expected, but hardly preventable
  • Options

Have you ever heard the concept of outliers? It's when you look at data and there's a handful of numbers outside the generality of the core data. That's what your tagging me in. Compare those to nearly every TW to have ever taken place and plot it on a graph, mismatches do happen, but those examples will be outliers compared to most core match up data. You seem mad that I'm telling you how the match up system is suppose to work, yes it could fail- it is just an algorithm and it does have limited choices, so you will get that, it's not shocking, but that's how the algorithm works. I never said it was perfect, but it's far more balanced than GAC. instead of GAC having occasional or maybe even frequent outliers, it's nearly every single match up. That's how it feels for lower level players, I'm glad you share the same frustration, but what shocks me is that you have somehow justified it when it comes to GAC, but not when it comes to TW.

You are picking the wrong forumer to get into a maths/stats debate with.
  • Options
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/250417/what-the#latest

Here’s one the other way, where the poster is in the guild with the advantage but knows for certain the guilds are matched across reward brackets.

And please don’t tell me there’s a shortage of guilds in that GP range.

Okay I may have misused the usage of shortage, but think of it this way- every guild has to be matched up to someone, so that guarantees that when it's done matching all guilds will be paired, so the shortage comes from what's left, not what's not there.
  • Options
    qijoawr8bd8f.jpeg
    This is a personal favourite. All 50 of us signed up. 46 of their guild signed up.

But - as you say - TW is matched on GP.
  • Options
    UdalCuain wrote: »

You are picking the wrong forumer to get into a maths/stats debate with.

You comfortably assume you know my identity
  • Options
    qijoawr8bd8f.jpeg
    This is a personal favourite. All 50 of us signed up. 46 of their guild signed up.

It's still an outlier, do the math on every TW that's ever existed and I assure you these are outliers when you plot them on a graph. If it's been around for several years and there are lets say 1000 guilds in the game and TW happens twice every week or so, we're talking about 10s of thousands of core data examples that will vastly outnumber the 100 you could possibly list. If you gave me more absurd numbers where 200 million verse 360 million then I'd definitely count that as a fundamental issue with the AI, but you can't- because it tries its best to match GP. It is an algorithm at the end of the day
  • Options

I’m not mad.

I’m frustrated that you are broadcasting an erroneous view on how matchmaking works and dismissing evidence that you don’t understand it as “outliers”.

The matchmaking was changed in September 2021 (see https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/249886/state-of-the-gear-laxy-september-2021).

Specifically, the devs said this:

okk7kci3hhz5.jpeg

Yet you insist that matchmaking is based on GP within a tight margin. Even though the devs state that this is not the case.

That’s the frustration. That, and I always have a problem when people who are wrong think they’re smarter than me.
  • Options
    qijoawr8bd8f.jpeg

Go ahead, do the math. Theyve also shared that when they updated it that it does have a record attached to each guild now, so it perhaps placed guilds with the greatest likelihood of winning with a uniquely unfair match up as the the other options were taken. The issue will always stem from the fact that your data is coming from guilds at the very top having an issue pairing against guilds with the same GP. If you pulled your sample size from the very bottom or middle ~200 million GP your argument would have validity.
  • Options

I’m not mad.

I’m frustrated that you are broadcasting an erroneous view on how matchmaking works and dismissing evidence that you don’t understand it as “outliers”.

The matchmaking was changed in September 2021 (see https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/249886/state-of-the-gear-laxy-september-2021).

okk7kci3hhz5.jpeg

Yet you insist that matchmaking is based on GP within a tight margin. Even though the devs state that this is not the case.

That’s the frustration. That, and I always have a problem when people who are wrong think they’re smarter than me.

I'm not seeing where they said they don't pair based off GP? They said it matters to them to have a more accurate take on matchups and they're account for the guilds record (as I've stated already). It's based off those margins ideally but realistically it pairs the closest examples it can to those margins and records. I'm still not wrong, it does its best, they tried to improve the accuracy, and it does. Your frustrated that isn't perfect, not that it isn't based off searching the closest examples that it can find.
  • Options

I’m not mad.

okk7kci3hhz5.jpeg

Your ego is hurting because you don't have experience working with algorithms don't you. I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm not wrong, it takes GP, record, and specific characters like GLs into account. GP being the most important as you wouldn't want a guild of 100 million versing one with 300 million.
  • Options

I’m not mad.

okk7kci3hhz5.jpeg

Your ego is hurting because you don't have experience working with algorithms don't you. I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm not wrong, it takes GP, record, and specific characters like GLs into account. GP being the most important as you wouldn't want a guild of 100 million versing one with 300 million.

Hahaha, it in no way takes GLs into account. You are losing ground here.
  • Options

I’m not mad.

okk7kci3hhz5.jpeg

I’m not mad.

okk7kci3hhz5.jpeg

You're more than welcome to tell me how you think the algorithm *really* searches
  • Options
    UdalCuain wrote: »

I’m not mad.

okk7kci3hhz5.jpeg

Hahaha, it in no way takes GLs into account. You are losing ground here.

"This system accounts for bringing a small number of powerful players"
    Does that sound like GLs? Or the idea of smaller number of powerful players is something random to you? I admit the GL specificity is speculation, but the same idea nonetheless. They account for specific players having a larger amount of power, with or without GL status it's the same idea
This discussion has been closed.