This new GAC isn't skill based matchmaking. Change my mind

Replies

• Options
    And if you match on
    GP, managing it is
    A big part of that.

So managing GP isn't skill? Is that what your saying? Or just the fact alone that having larger GP is skill? Which one sounds more like a skill to you?

I'm saying neither.
    GP growth is management,
    Management's skill, right?
  • Options
    Honestly I've made all the arguments I could have made. The rest is up to the readers to understand what takes skill and what takes money. Hopefully this will generate enough discussion to acknowledge the fact that it isn't skill based match making. They have an intentional GP hierarchy, that isn't skill, it's just GP size. It affects people from the bottom up, bottom being most affected negatively. Top being affected the most positively. Sounds like corporate America at its best. Goodbye
  • Options
    And if you match on
    GP, managing it is
    A big part of that.

So managing GP isn't skill? Is that what your saying? Or just the fact alone that having larger GP is skill? Which one sounds more like a skill to you?

I'm saying neither.
    GP growth is management,

No, because GP growth is regulated and can't be learned. Anyone could upgrade abilities and characters, that isn't skill, that's experience. Look up what talent is, it's a synonymous to skill.
  • Options
    Honestly I've made all the arguments I could have made. The rest is up to the readers to understand what takes skill and what takes money. Hopefully this will generate enough discussion to acknowledge the fact that it isn't skill based match making. They have an intentional GP hierarchy, that isn't skill, it's just GP size. It affects people from the bottom up, bottom being most affected negatively. Top being affected the most positively. Sounds like corporate America at its best. Goodbye

That doesn't add up,
    If it's a hierarchy, your
    Match wouldn't happen.
  • Options

That doesn't add up,
    Match wouldn't happen.

That's their intent. My match up happened because their intent didn't work, people go inactive, it's shockingly common to see how many people barely try in GAC because they hate it now.
  • Options
    ImaSmakya wrote: »
    Strategy is part of the skill.

Yes but tell me how anyone in this game can be kyber through just skill alone.

Good roster is skill,
    According to you at least.
    Playing well helps too.
    Exactly though that's a fair match up, they actually organized their roster through skill and and determination whereas the other person made mindless choices. It's a much fairer comparison.

Good roster is skill? So people in kyber have good rosters vs someone who has a smaller roster in chromium? So chromium has less skill because their roster is smaller? Doesn't sound like skill to me.

Hey, they were your words.
    So are Kyber rosters worse
    Than Chromium ones?

Kyber rosters don't have more skill anymore, they have the newest characters and the newest omicrons with the biggest rosters. That's not skill, that's money talking.

I have none of those
    On my FTP account,
    It must be a glitch

https://swgoh.gg/p/638166995/characters/

CAT isn't new? You have GLs, legendary characters, etc. That's an experienced roster, good characters, you do have skill, but it's still not skill based matchmaking, it's a GP based hierarchy, not based in skill.

9 months? Not really.
    Managing GP is skill,
    According to you

No, According to me matching people with equal GP is a fairer way to measure skill. Managing GP isn't a part of the process. Please tell me again how 2 million GP can "out skill" someone with 7 million GP. Tell me again how that will require skill.

And when they matched solely on GP, there were dozens of posts about the fact that matchmaking **** cuz it didn’t take this or that into account. There is no way they could ever do this and make everyone happy, you just happen to be one of those on the unhappy side of the fence for this particular method, I on the other hand am fine with it.

Life goes on.

Great you finally respond without harassment. Thanks. Everyone fine with it has a large roster, everyone with a larger roster is biased because this favors their success. It's harder for newer players to succeed this way. The old GAC was skill based because it sets the two opponents equal to one another, where as this has no clear definition of equality

I have 6 mil GP so yes, more GP than you. I started this new system in aurodium and have worked my way up to kyber 2 and am now matched against people with almost 2 million GP more than me and 2 more GL’s and I’m ok with that, it’s a challenge. I have to place a couple G8/9 teams on defence to be able to compete on offence. It was enough to allow me to go 3-0 in K3, as for K2, we’ll see but at least it’s interesting.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • Options
    And if you match on
    GP, managing it is
    A big part of that.

I'm saying neither.
    GP growth is management,

No, because GP growth is regulated and can't be learned. Anyone could upgrade abilities and characters, that isn't skill, that's experience. Look up what talent is, it's a synonymous to skill.

Talent develops
    From experience, unless
    You're a prodigy.
  • Options

Good roster is skill,
    Playing well helps too.
    Exactly though that's a fair match up, they actually organized their roster through skill and and determination whereas the other person made mindless choices. It's a much fairer comparison.

Good roster is skill? So people in kyber have good rosters vs someone who has a smaller roster in chromium? So chromium has less skill because their roster is smaller? Doesn't sound like skill to me.

Than Chromium ones?

Kyber rosters don't have more skill anymore, they have the newest characters and the newest omicrons with the biggest rosters. That's not skill, that's money talking.

I have none of those
    On my FTP account,
    It must be a glitch

CAT isn't new? You have GLs, legendary characters, etc. That's an experienced roster, good characters, you do have skill, but it's still not skill based matchmaking, it's a GP based hierarchy, not based in skill.

9 months? Not really.
    Managing GP is skill,
    According to you

No, According to me matching people with equal GP is a fairer way to measure skill. Managing GP isn't a part of the process. Please tell me again how 2 million GP can "out skill" someone with 7 million GP. Tell me again how that will require skill.

And when they matched solely on GP, there were dozens of posts about the fact that matchmaking **** cuz it didn’t take this or that into account. There is no way they could ever do this and make everyone happy, you just happen to be one of those on the unhappy side of the fence for this particular method, I on the other hand am fine with it.

Life goes on.

Great you finally respond without harassment. Thanks. Everyone fine with it has a large roster, everyone with a larger roster is biased because this favors their success. It's harder for newer players to succeed this way. The old GAC was skill based because it sets the two opponents equal to one another, where as this has no clear definition of equality

I have 6 mil GP so yes, more GP than you. I started this new system in aurodium and have worked my way up to kyber 2 and am now matched against people with almost 2 million GP more than me and 2 more GL’s and I’m ok with that, it’s a challenge. I have to place a couple G8/9 teams on defence to be able to compete on offence. It was enough to allow me to go 3-0 in K3, as for K2, we’ll see but at least it’s interesting.

I agree it's fun to experience the challenge. I've beaten similar scenarios but it's still hardly based on skill, skill is actually more important with the new GAC but the largest controlling factor to be at the "top" isn't skill, it really is just GP and money, which disproportionately affects people at the bottom who will never see kyber until they double or triple their GP
  • Options

That doesn't add up,
    Match wouldn't happen.

That's their intent. My match up happened because their intent didn't work, people go inactive, it's shockingly common to see how many people barely try in GAC because they hate it now.

If they aren't trying,
    You have a shot at winning
    And the system works
  • Options
    And if you match on
    GP, managing it is
    A big part of that.

I'm saying neither.
    GP growth is management,

Talent develops
    From experience, unless
    You're a prodigy.

Talent doesn't develop, lmao talent is given before experience, that's why talent is based on natural ability verses experience is based on practiced ability
  • Options

That doesn't add up,
    Match wouldn't happen.

If they aren't trying,
    And the system works

The system doesn't work if it isn't fair. If you have to bet on them not trying then you know it's already flawed. A system that works is a system that's fair regardless of your opponent.
  • Options
    And if you match on
    GP, managing it is
    A big part of that.

I'm saying neither.
    GP growth is management,

Talent develops
    From experience, unless
    You're a prodigy.

Talent doesn't develop, lmao talent is given before experience, that's why talent is based on natural ability verses experience is based on practiced ability

Then you can't improve
    Under skill based matchmaking,
    It works like GP?
  • Options
    Talent equals skill,
    Talent doesn't change, only
    Experience does?
  • Options

That doesn't add up,
    Match wouldn't happen.

If they aren't trying,
    And the system works

The system doesn't work if it isn't fair. If you have to bet on them not trying then you know it's already flawed. A system that works is a system that's fair regardless of your opponent.

Could you define fair?
    Surely you having more skill
    Is unfair as well?
  • Options

Good roster is skill,
    Playing well helps too.

Than Chromium ones?

I have none of those
    On my FTP account,
    It must be a glitch

9 months? Not really.
    Managing GP is skill,
    According to you

Life goes on.

I agree it's fun to experience the challenge. I've beaten similar scenarios but it's still hardly based on skill, skill is actually more important with the new GAC but the largest controlling factor to be at the "top" isn't skill, it really is just GP and money, which disproportionately affects people at the bottom who will never see kyber until they double or triple their GP

It’s a game I play on my phone, I care little who gets crowned best or wins the award for most money or skill or whatever other term CG wants to call it. It’s a gacha game with a star wars skin that’s sole purpose is to separate people from their money. I accepted that long ago.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • Options
    You are so hung up on the word skill.

They could have called them bantha points. It doesn't matter. You win, you get awarded bantha points. You lose, they take away bantha points.

You get matched with people of equal bantha points to you. It's a bantha based system.

If someone came along who actually had a real bantha it makes no difference to how this competition works.

The developers had to call the system something. They called it bantha. Developing your roster further will rightfully get you more bantha points. Being better at using your roster will also get you more bantha points. And get you better rewards.

Bantha.
  • Options
    Gifafi wrote: »
    Gifafi wrote: »
    I haven’t dropped out of kyber (yet) so clearly the system is working fine. I mean, that is the barometer, right?

What's your GP? Do you have any GLs? Are you trying to say anyone can get into kyber if they're skilled enough or are you just privileged enough to have a large enough roster to be in kyber?

8m. All GL’s. I am not saying any of that. But I am confused. You seem upset that someone with, for example, just a ep vader team and an Ewoks team can’t skill their way up to end game? Maybe end game isn’t for them.

Skill based matchmaking is where 200 people with 1 million GP rosters verse and the person with the best roster and most skilled is 1st.

That’s a very specific definition of Skill based mm. In your scenario, maybe the most skilled in not at 1st; he/she just doesn’t have the best roster.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Wait who is bitter? The people that are ok with the new system but not the person who made two threads and fifty posts to complain about it. What is happening?

Probably the person going out of their way to not make any useful arguments but rather incite negative comments towards me and my stance.

I agree that negative comments towards you are unhelpful - ad hominem never wins any hearts or minds. However negative comments towards your stance are exactly what’s needed because it’s based on a fundamental misconception.

You and pretty much all the variations on ‘skill based matchmaking is so unfair’ posters are tilting at windmills. There isn’t any matchmaking. Not since the initial seeding (by GP) in season 1. Now it’s in your own hands to try and fight your way up the ladder and who you meet on the way is determined entirely by the actions of those players. There’s no hidden hand manipulating it. Yes, the scoring system itself is a bit oblique but that doesn’t change the fact that our destiny, GAC-wise, is in our hands. I did ok this last round so I climbed to rank 13 in my league. That means I’m fighting ranks 9 - 16 in the ladder. Most have pretty ripped rosters and it’s going to be an ordeal. I only have myself to blame - but what’s the alternative other than to enjoy the fight.

After all, life is just a headlong dash towards an irrational death. It’s ok to try and take the edge off the existential angst by finding meaning in tiny acts of mobile violence - but don’t look for too much meaning. That’s never healthy.
  • Options
    Because it's fun and easy.
    Ok ok let me explain.
    At the last session of GAC, I made 3 loses on purpose to lower my skill rate. It allows me to stay in a very comfortable zone where when I want to win, I win very easily and when I'm lazy, I just get 10 points and let my opponent win.
    Afterwards, there are people like the author of the thread who want to win to go always higher thinking that the fights will be adapted to his level and that he should not fall against guys like me with 4 GL whereas he has 0...

The devs were bound to be aware that some people weren't going to fight hard at every GAC to get to the top. The whole system encourages you to do as little as possible for a more stable reward than before with the arena and above all without effort.
    Y a un n*a*z*i qui a changé mon nom sans rien me dire...
  • AEfaitdelaheureuse
    22 posts Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    If we consider that training is part of the skill and that training in SWGoH consists of building and growing your roster, then we can consider that your skill is limited by your roster because you are not trained enough.

It's easy to understand, right?
    Y a un n*a*z*i qui a changé mon nom sans rien me dire...
  • Options
    If we consider that training is part of the skill and that training in SWGoH consists of building and growing your roster, then we can consider that your skill is limited by your roster because you are not trained enough.

It's easy to understand, right?

basé sur les messages précédents - malheureusement, ce n'est pas aussi facile que vous le pensez
  • Options
    Based upon OP’s comments in his other thread tonight, it’s pointless to try to change his mind

Seems like you don't have a good argument

Nah, I know better than to engage with someone that doesn't want to hear that they're wrong.
  • Options
    Based upon OP’s comments in his other thread tonight, it’s pointless to try to change his mind

Nah, I know better than to engage with someone that doesn't want to hear that they're wrong.

Thread title should be altered:

"This new GAC isnt skill based matchmaking. I won't change my mind"
  • Options

Yep
  • Options

They could have called them bantha points. It doesn't matter. You win, you get awarded bantha points. You lose, they take away bantha points….

Best post. This is just a semantics argument that OP cares way too much about. The word doesn’t matter.
  • Options
    Well I am 3.7M GP, started in Chromium 5 in this new format (bloated GP a bit to reach it), and now am up to Aurodium 2. So far I have a 5-1 record in Aurodium, and I don't have a GL.

So let's see if I make Kyber sub 4M GP without a GL (I should have JMK for next season). It's highly unlikely but I keep winning, so who knows....
  • Options
    And there are some REALLY good rosters who were at 2.xxM gp when the new format started, so they began in Bronzium league. They are now in Chromium and the only thing keeping them there is that they can't promote to the higher league until after the season. They absolutely could make it to Kyber with the rosters they have. These are the people who previously were fighting for Premier Kyber Champion every GAC season in the old format.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Can someone with 2 million GP out skill their way to kyber? If so, how? If they can't, why? Because skill is dependent on GP? So it's not skill based then.

You're right. It's based on Skill Rating with an initial seeding based on roster GP. Skill is just one of several things that affect your Skill Rating.
  • Options

You sound mad that it isn't based on skill
  • Options

They could have called them bantha points. It doesn't matter. You win, you get awarded bantha points. You lose, they take away bantha points….

Best post. This is just a semantics argument that OP cares way too much about. The word doesn’t matter.

Semantics are the cause of the new GAC change. Semantics are the reason why this GAC isn't fair. It isn't based on skill, it's based on money
This discussion has been closed.