When will we finally hear something about the skill squish in gac?

Prev1345
pinguinbooks
32 posts Member
edited October 2023
More and more players fall out of kyber 1. (Guess we'll be somewhere around 1000 now) Everyone knows the reason is an error in the calculation of the skill squish at the start of each gac season, but it is ignored by cg so far. No post, no reaction in all previous forum posts about this issue.
Even the 50th ranked player is only 260 skill points above relegation now. If you are in the top 900, a loss in first round will already throw you down to kyber 2. I believe it starts to hurt even the top players now.
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Replies

• StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    Everyone knows the reason is an error in the calculation of the skill squish at the start of each gac season

Does everyone know this? How?
  • Options
    ... ok, everyone who cares to inform themselves about the skill squish for a few minutes.
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    ... ok, everyone who cares to inform themselves about the skill squish for a few minutes.

I understand what the skill squish is. But you said CG hasn't said anything. So how do we know it's an error in whatever you said it was?
  • Options
    Kyber 1 shrinks each gac season. Here is the link of someone who knows this stuff far better than me..
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/260300/current-squish-formula-math-and-kyber1-here-is-how-to-fix-the-leak
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    Kyber 1 shrinks each gac season. Here is the link of someone who knows this stuff far better than me..
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/260300/current-squish-formula-math-and-kyber1-here-is-how-to-fix-the-leak

I know K1 shrinks. That post doesn't prove it's shrinking in error.
  • Lumiya
    1479 posts Member
    Options
    StarSon wrote: »

I understand what the skill squish is. But you said CG hasn't said anything. So how do we know it's an error in whatever you said it was?

Taliana mentioned in one of her comments that CG is looking into this and that they are working together with some people to try and solve the calculations
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • Options
    Here's the offical statement from cg, when they implemented the skill squish...
    It says it will not change what devision or league you are in. If the squish reduces kyber 1 by 90% it surely has a sgnificant impact for players throwing them out of k1.
    The squish is supposed to change not much except the purpose of keeping players competitive by closing the skill points gap.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/252923/grand-arena-seasonal-skill-squish#latest
  • Options
    It says it will not change what devision or league you are in. If the squish reduces kyber 1 by 90% it surely has a sgnificant impact for players throwing them out of k1.
    The squish is supposed to change not much except the purpose of keeping players competitive by closing the skill points gap.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/252923/grand-arena-seasonal-skill-squish#latest

Well, *if* the code first assigns the Divisions and *then* applies the Squish, then the Squish isn't the process that's changing the Divisions.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    Screerider wrote: »

Well, *if* the code first assigns the Divisions and *then* applies the Squish, then the Squish isn't the process that's changing the Divisions.

I think another part is that while it didn't change division when squish was applied, you could actually win your next battle (increasing skill rating) and be demoted.
    Winning should never result in a demotion.
  • Rius
    368 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I don’t see how this is working particularly different to other divisions and leagues. If you end up in A2 at the end of the season you generally start next season in A3. Squish is smaller in A3 so you generally stay in A3. Of course A1 is treated completely different to K1 as they are promoted and squished towards K3 instead.

So K1 should be the most extreme shift of all divisions as it’s furthest from the middle division than any other subjected to squish, K5 is still treated like all other 5th divisions with relegation. But as K1 has nowhere to be promoted to the squish still works similarly to the 2nd division but more extreme as it’s further away, so I am more surprised so many stay in K1. I also see nothing wrong with players being squished to K2 and progressing to K1 through the season by winning. I think that would actually make more sense for the top division.
  • Options
    What part of K1 shrinking massively not meeting the intent of:

“ In general, this will not have any impact on your Grand Arena experience. This will not change what Division or League are in. It will not impact your ability to reach the next Division”

Is hard to understand?
  • Options
    scuba wrote: »

I think another part is that while it didn't change division when squish was applied, you could actually win your next battle (increasing skill rating) and be demoted.
    I'd have to see an example.
  • DarjeloSalas
    9944 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

That’s easy.

Someone in my guild finished last season on 3610, the threshold for K1.

He has been squished to 3555, but is still listed as being in K1, and is still collecting K1 daily rewards.

In around 36 hours from now, his first match of the new season will complete and I can assure you, even if he wins, he will be demoted to K2 as there is no way he will earn the 55 banners needed to get back to 3610.

Edit: autocorrect treachery fixed
  • Options
    unfortunately, it is like this all the way down.. people who use to be in K2 are now being pushing into K3 and so on.. People are asking why in Aurodium people are fighting 4+ GLs and several million more GP.. well that is the skill squish in progress :smiley:
    #JediFactionRework2018
  • Options
    Skill squish actually increases skill rating for people in k4 and k5 though.
  • Options
    Seems it would be in CGs interest to reduce the amount of people getting the most reward. Hence the reason they don't speak to it. Assuming K2 will start to function like K1 at some point. I've been in the top of K2 for a long time and it's almost impossible to break into K1 now. At least with my roster.
  • Options
    unfortunately, it is like this all the way down..

I can confirm, that if you went really all the way down, the skill squish becomes skill expansion. Furthest I got is Bronzium 3 and so far I always got extra skills, never was robbed of them.
  • Starslayer
    2418 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

1dhmsiub4nne.png
  • Options
    This shows the Squish didn't change their Division, since they're still in K1. They're also getting a benefit of K1 rewards for having a K2 Skill Rating.

I think it just means this person ended up in K1 based on the Skill Rating ranges for the last Season, but they did not end up in the Top 2% of players, which is what K1 should be. So when the new Season lines were drawn, not being in the Top 2%, they end up with a K2 ranking. But benefit from K1 status for an additional time, which is nice.

• Options
    This shows the Squish didn't change their Division, since they're still in K1. They're also getting a benefit of K1 rewards for having a K2 Skill Rating.

I think it just means this person ended up in K1 based on the Skill Rating ranges for the last Season, but they did not end up in the Top 2% of players, which is what K1 should be. So when the new Season lines were drawn, not being in the Top 2%, they end up with a K2 ranking. But benefit from K1 status for an additional time, which is nice.

Are you aware that the K1 population has massively reduced since the skill rating system was introduced?

If K1 is, or was, the top 2%, it will be much lower than that in time. Not sure why this isn’t obvious to you.
  • Screerider
    1360 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I am aware. ... If they're changing the percentage the represents Kyber 1 from 2% to some other values, that could certainly be the case, but that shows the issue isn't the Squish but the changing percentage.
  • Options
    I am aware. ... If they're changing the percentage the represents Kyber 1 from 2% to some other values, that could certainly be the case, but that shows the issue isn't the Squish but the changing percentage.
    But the squish is what is bringing about those changing percentages - don’t you see that?
  • Options
    No, because the Squish doesn't change your ranking. The same percentage of players are above and below you before and after the Squish.
  • Gawejn
    1107 posts Member
    Options

I had this situation like 2 years ago in kyber.
  • Gawejn
    1107 posts Member
    Options

Squish makes you demoted, thats the issue. It shouldnt be like this. You can win like 5 times and loose 4 times and it doesnt matter...squish will make demoted from the start and no chance to stay in your original division. Like from the start you need to have like 6 wins for not being demoted. Which is kind of against the 50/50 ratio. I had this situation like 2 years ago for first time and from this moment this skill rating and squish is a joke for me....like could never imagine something so stupid in game ever...in this moment you can have in a year 60 wins to 48 lost and be lower 2 or 3 divisions after that time...pure nonsense
  • Options
    The question for me is whether the percentage of players actively playing GAC that are in K1 has decreased significantly over time. If that is the case, then it seems problematic, whether due to "squish" or some other factor. Originally, when changing crystal rewards from Arena to GAC, the promise was essentially that we would do the same if not better than we previously were doing. But (using made up numbers here), if the original percentage of players in K1 was 10%, and it is now 5%, that is an issue because the playerbase as a whole is not doing the same or better than from Arena crystals. One would assume that for every player moving down from K1 another player would be moving up to take their place, so that the percentage should remain relatively stable over time (not taking into account new players joining the game/players leaving the game). Do we have access to the percentages of players in each league / division?
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    CrispyFett wrote: »
    The question for me is whether the percentage of players actively playing GAC that are in K1 has decreased significantly over time. If that is the case, then it seems problematic, whether due to "squish" or some other factor. Originally, when changing crystal rewards from Arena to GAC, the promise was essentially that we would do the same if not better than we previously were doing. But (using made up numbers here), if the original percentage of players in K1 was 10%, and it is now 5%, that is an issue because the playerbase as a whole is not doing the same or better than from Arena crystals. One would assume that for every player moving down from K1 another player would be moving up to take their place, so that the percentage should remain relatively stable over time (not taking into account new players joining the game/players leaving the game). Do we have access to the percentages of players in each league / division?

Actually pretty sure all of Kyber gets more GAC crystals than they ever got from daily arena, assuming 50/50 win rate.
  • Options

Actually pretty sure all of Kyber gets more GAC crystals than they ever got from daily arena, assuming 50/50 win rate.

But my question applies equally to each league/division: If the percentage of players in Kyber league are decreasing significantly and moving down (perhaps to a lower league), what is the explanation for this? Do players in Aurodium get the same/better than Arena? Because, if the percentages in Kyber are shrinking, I would assume the percentages in the lower leagues is increasing
  • Options

But my question applies equally to each league/division: If the percentage of players in Kyber league are decreasing significantly and moving down (perhaps to a lower league), what is the explanation for this? Do players in Aurodium get the same/better than Arena? Because, if the percentages in Kyber are shrinking, I would assume the percentages in the lower leagues is increasing
    The percentage of players in K1 is decreasing significantly. I’ve not seen data that suggests the population of Kyber as a whole is decreasing at all.
This discussion has been closed.