Merrin S1 locked behind g12?

Prev134
Is Merrin supposed to have her special Shadow Stide locked behind a gear 12 wall?

Replies

• Ravens1113
    5215 posts Member
    Options
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/262671/kit-reveal-merrin#latest

Yes, this is WAI and the usual suspects on the forums have no problem with CG starting this precedent. It’s not likely to change so we will have to shell out some big bucks or wait 4-6 months to be able to use it.
  • statix
    33 posts Member
    Options
  • Options
    Oh lovely, so glad we get more pay walls
    Thanks for the info
  • Options
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/262671/kit-reveal-merrin#latest

Yes, this is WAI and the usual suspects on the forums have no problem with CG starting this precedent. It’s not likely to change so we will have to shell out some big bucks or wait 4-6 months to be able to use it.

"Usual suspects" spot on 😆
  • TVF
    36658 posts Member
    Options

Hello.

I'm one of the usual suspects.

It's not a paywall.

Cheers.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF
    36658 posts Member
    Options

Yes, this is WAI and the usual suspects on the forums have no problem with CG starting this precedent.

One time is not a precedent, but I hope it becomes one!
  • Options
    They did specifically mention they wanted to avoid a paper zombie kind of situation that some people took advantage of, so I think it’s fair it’s locked behind a G12 minimum.
  • Options
    Paper zombie was the best zombie.
  • TVF
    36658 posts Member
    Options

I preferred copper zombie.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

Yes, this is WAI and the usual suspects on the forums have no problem with CG starting this precedent.

As you said on the other thread at one point - False.

It’s quite literally unprecedented by the definition -
    un·prec·e·dent·ed
    /ˌənˈpresədən(t)əd/
    adjective
    never done or known before.

So that makes this a precedent that could be pointed to in the future.
    precedent
    2 of 2
    noun
    prec·​e·​dent ˈpre-sə-dənt
    : an earlier occurrence of something similar
    a
    : something done or said that may serve as an example or rule to authorize or justify a subsequent act of the same or an analogous kind
    a verdict that had no precedent
    b
    : the convention established by such a precedent or by long practice
    : a person or thing that serves as a model
  • TVF
    36658 posts Member
    Options
    Well done.

I hope it serves as an example or rule to authorize or justify a subsequent act of the same or an analogous kind.
  • Options
    Well done.

I hope it serves as an example or rule to authorize or justify a subsequent act of the same or an analogous kind.

Why though? That just seems like a spiteful move/statement? How does it serve to make the game or experience better?
  • TVF
    36658 posts Member
    Options
    Well done.

Why though? That just seems like a spiteful move/statement? How does it serve to make the game or experience better?

I don't use anything before I can 7* it anyway so this is a win in my book.
  • Firebrigade
    852 posts Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Well done.

So you want to try to force everyone into playing the game exactly like you do? That’s just a very selfish way to approach or look at things in my mind. Why not allow for the possibility that some people do or might want to play differently? How does it hurt you if someone else wants to play or use them under 7*?
  • CrispyFett
    988 posts Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Well done.

I think the reason is the one provided by CG for this- it limits people from "cheesing" with her immediately, since everyone will be unlocking her at 3* immediately. If NS will ultimately become a much better team with high-end Merrin, CG wants people to have to invest in her before being able to take down higher-end teams. I don't see why anyone who has been playing this game for a long time would be opposed to this
  • Options
    While I’m not a fan of an ability being gated behind g12, this isn’t a dealbreaker for me. So much of the game is already gated behind relics that getting a toon to g12 is just par for the course nowadays.

Yes it’s annoying that they won’t be farmable for a few months, but it won’t be that long, and then if you want to use Merrin , like I do, it’ll just have to be a long farm while not accelerated. I feel like the payoff in finally being able to do S&S will be worth it.
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • CrispyFett
    988 posts Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Well done.

So you want to try to force everyone into playing the game exactly like you do? That’s just a very selfish way to approach or look at things in my mind. Why not allow for the possibility that some people do or might want to play differently? How does it hurt you if someone else wants to play or use them under 7*?

Because this is a game of resource management where players compete against each other in at least one portion of the game. Not that I think this is likely (time will tell), but I don't want a new player who just unlocked Merrin at 3* to be able to just pop her in their NS team and counter my "better" teams which I have invested relics and time in. It's pretty simple. If CG released a Marquee toon who was a GL killer at 3*, would you be happy? Maybe some new players would; I imagine most long term players would not. There's something to be said for the reward of investing time (or in some player's cases, money) in this game and then having the "best" team. CG may not care about long term ftp players, but I would think they care about the Whale's opinions

edit: Also, there is nothing preventing players from playing or using her under 7*. You just won't be able to use one of her abilities. Same with using a GL's ultimate. Just getting the character unlocked doesn't allow you to use that ability. You then have to farm the mats and unlock (time investment). I really don't understand why so many people are up in arms about this, its really nothing new or surprising in principle
  • Options
    CrispyFett wrote: »

edit: Also, there is nothing preventing players from playing or using her under 7*. You just won't be able to use one of her abilities. Same with using a GL's ultimate. Just getting the character unlocked doesn't allow you to use that ability. You then have to farm the mats and unlock (time investment). I really don't understand why so many people are up in arms about this, its really nothing new or surprising in principle

I hadn't thought about the parallels with GLs ult ability. We can also consider when they released toons like Aphra and SK, who required r5 toons that had only recently been released. Is it really worse for CG to lock one ability behind one 7* and G12 character compared with locking a character behind multiple 7* and r5 toons?

Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • Options
    Why G12 and not R5 at least? She will still be a paper compared to R9 characters
  • Options

I preferred copper zombie.

Rob Zombie!
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • DonPuto
    379 posts Member
    Options
    The concern should be around how CG must've tested this toon to come to the conclusion the ability needed to be gated whereas toons like Trench and Reva, while in the game for much longer, were not adequately tested and needed "fixes" after people got them.
  • Salatious_Scrum
    2347 posts Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    DonPuto wrote: »
    The concern should be around how CG must've tested this toon to come to the conclusion the ability needed to be gated whereas toons like Trench and Reva, while in the game for much longer, were not adequately tested and needed "fixes" after people got them.

The 2 characters you’ve just mentioned are 7* unlocks that require quite a bit of investment to have unlocked right now, or for Reva specifically a lot of investment. The people that have both unlocked are not new players, and a good majority would’ve had the resources at this point to relic them right at unlock.

I’m all for sticking it to CG when they deserve it but having abilities on marquee releases that only unlock at G12 (therefore 7*) is a big W for me.
  • DonPuto
    379 posts Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    DonPuto wrote: »

The 2 characters you’ve just mentioned are 7* unlocks that require quite a bit of investment to have unlocked right now, or for Reva specifically a lot of investment. The people that have both unlocked are not new players, and a good majority would’ve had the resources at this point to relic them right at unlock.

I’m all for sticking it to CG when they deserve it but having abilities on marquee releases that only unlock at G12 (therefore 7*) is a big W for me.

My point is they had way more time to test those characters before people could use them. I'm aware the toons in question aren't apples to apples with Merrin. Seems they actually tested Merrin and determined the ability needed to be gated. Not that I'd use her below relic anyway but I'm just saying, why not adequately test everything. Know what I mean? IMO, I'd rather them proactively address an issue before releasing something vs. "Fixing/Nerfing" after the fact.
  • el_mago
    753 posts Member
    Options

Nice im done in tbis forum too many people like you and ultra stock sucking CGs ding **** whenever there is anything they do lol good bye

See ya tomorrow.
  • Options

Hello.

It's not a paywall.

Cheers.

The fact you had the courage of saying it is not a paywall and is not a precedent is amazing.
    It IS indeed a wall, call it time wall if you wish, but still.
    One case IS a precedent. Saying it is not is being unaware of what the very word means.
    Also, you still have your right to think what you want, i spent not a single coin on this game, you spend as much as a house rent monthly, so go ahead, they only care about you spenders, we poors can only complain, and we will.
  • TVF
    36658 posts Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Lotiras wrote: »

Hello.

It's not a paywall.

Cheers.

The fact you had the courage of saying it is not a paywall and is not a precedent is amazing.

It doesn't take courage for me to say it's not a paywall when you just admitted it yourself.
  • Options
    Why G12 and not R5 at least? She will still be a paper compared to R9 characters

Indeed, you know what? new chars should need 330 shards to unlock, and only have 2 gear levels using 600 of two new items only, that can only be obtained from a special battle that requires the latest character, or with money! that's balanced!
  • Options
    Lotiras wrote: »

Hello.

It's not a paywall.

Cheers.

It doesn't take courage for me to say it's not a paywall when you just admitted it yourself.

let me rephrase it:
    You need to spend money OR to have banked up about 9 months worth of crystals (more if you are not kyber) to try out the new character yourself, that makes it a paywall, but it is going to become available sooner or later, that makes it more of a limited-time paywall. Also, ah ah, so funny.
  • TVF
    36658 posts Member
    Options
    It's still not a paywall, not even a limited-time paywall.