Merrin S1 locked behind g12?

Replies

• Ratinira
    412 posts Member
    Options
    Starslayer wrote: »
    The way i look at this is that CG doesn’t want newcomers. g12 is hard when you first start, and you are struggling to get to gear 5. i remember unlocking boba fett for the first time and under his contract i saw “unlocks at gear level VIII.” I thought: hell naw. i’m never gonna get there. so if i were new and saw that gear unlocks at g12 i would freak out and think this game is pay to play only and there is no way to get anywhere.

In a era where you have double drop on old characters shards and gear under g12, using your limited resources as a newcomer in order to gear the new stuff who doesn’t profit from accelerated farming and needs kyros, the only pre g12 gear that doesn’t get double drop, is not a wise decision.

That is true, but if i joined the game a week ago and saw that i could get a free 3* character, which is higher than the 1-2* characters that they give you to start, i would be all for it. most people don’t know what they are getting into, they prob don’t realize the accelerated shards on others compared to merrin, and may not know about the gear crunch.

If you joined a week ago you probably won't be able to get her to high gear anyway. So for you both g12, and g11 will be equally distant.
    And you don't have any other NS either
    You will be just using a mix off characters you get and in there she will be absolutely all right even without 1 ability that is synergies with NS you don't have...

And then you will probably learn how things are working
  • Ratinira
    412 posts Member
    Options
    BubbaFett wrote: »
    If you paid attention they said they were showcasing how Merrin changed NS and the event was supposed to showcase how she helped nightsisters defeat the usual NS counters.... Then, when the event ran it had them up against some weak BH, Ewoks and Phoenix.... They are still going to get steamrolled by good old imperial trooper teams, so why sweat it?

Marquees now are hard for me to understand
    They gave us t13 (relic) characters
    They put against us t10 (!) characters
    And then it takes sooo long for autofight to deal with them
    Why?
    Its really not good ad, not good at all
    "Buy out new allmighty character... that have problems killing an enemy 3 lvls lower" XD
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    Options
    Ratinira wrote: »
    If you paid attention they said they were showcasing how Merrin changed NS and the event was supposed to showcase how she helped nightsisters defeat the usual NS counters.... Then, when the event ran it had them up against some weak BH, Ewoks and Phoenix.... They are still going to get steamrolled by good old imperial trooper teams, so why sweat it?

Why?
    "Buy out new allmighty character... that have problems killing an enemy 3 lvls lower" XD

I agree, not a good look at all.... Don't worry though, eventually ahnaldt or one of those guys will come out withca video saying she's a GL killer or some other nonsense like that....
  • Options

Why?

I agree, not a good look at all.... Don't worry though, eventually ahnaldt or one of those guys will come out withca video saying she's a GL killer or some other nonsense like that....

I just want her to be able to finally do S&S assault battle.
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • Options

Why?

I just want her to be able to finally do S&S assault battle.

Ya, that will be nice.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Jacgul wrote: »

Which makes it a time wall. Do you think that most players are generating, free to play, enough crystals to reasonably be able to 7 star a new character?? She isn't even in shipments yet. What an utterly ridiculous statement.

Still not a paywall though is it, in fact time wall isn’t even accurate. Patience wall would be more appropriate given that most players could earn the crystals needed, they just tend not to hoard them to the levels needed.

Which is exactly what I said, it's a gate. That other guy was making it out as if it's not a limit of any kind, stars grow on trees.
    I'm not even interested, the only night sister I have higher than level 40 is assaj. And I was none too impressed by the marquee event. I only use a handful of non relic characters. They're just not really viable otherwise. But TVF is here shilling or kissing up or whatever to CG. This any new character is gated heavily.

I said it's not a paywall. Because it's not.

I never said it wasn't gated. Everything in this game is gated one way or another.

It's not a paywall. Already demonstrated. End of story.

This is the point, and people don’t seem to understand it. The entire game is gated in one way or another, at different levels. Patience and money make those gates open, players just have to make their choice which way to go.
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    Options

Which makes it a time wall. Do you think that most players are generating, free to play, enough crystals to reasonably be able to 7 star a new character?? She isn't even in shipments yet. What an utterly ridiculous statement.

Still not a paywall though is it, in fact time wall isn’t even accurate. Patience wall would be more appropriate given that most players could earn the crystals needed, they just tend not to hoard them to the levels needed.

Which is exactly what I said, it's a gate. That other guy was making it out as if it's not a limit of any kind, stars grow on trees.
    I'm not even interested, the only night sister I have higher than level 40 is assaj. And I was none too impressed by the marquee event. I only use a handful of non relic characters. They're just not really viable otherwise. But TVF is here shilling or kissing up or whatever to CG. This any new character is gated heavily.

I never said it wasn't gated. Everything in this game is gated one way or another.

This is the point, and people don’t seem to understand it. The entire game is gated in one way or another, at different levels. Patience and money make those gates open, players just have to make their choice which way to go.

I may use this in the future.... This is the best way I have seen the game summed up...

I would also add that players also need to realize that this isn't going to change...
  • MasterSeedy
    5146 posts Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Yes it’s been done before at varying levels but never as high as G12.

Pretty sure it's been said in this thread before, @Ravens1113 , but this is not true.

It is true of non-Galactic Legends, but GLs are characters in this game, and they do have abilities locked behind a relic gate, not even g12, so for your statement to be true, you would have to discount those.

Again, I'm not saying it's not something of a departure, but it's very similar to the g10 requirement for Zombie that they instituted very specifically because of the NightSisters' dying/reviving mechanic. The game has progressed so much that with the new gear economy g12 for Merrin now is a pretty good equivalent to g10 for Zombie back then.
    Post edited by MasterSeedy on
  • Ratinira
    412 posts Member
    Options
    Yeh, paper zombie was fixed in 2018
    Now is 2023
    Referring to something that old is like saying: "why does she rely on relics in her skills? There where no relics when first NS where added! And no datacrons, and no omicrones, no zetas and omegas, no mods, and no ships, and no guilds, no raids, no tb, no tw and 3,5 characters total, return me my 2015!"*cry*
  • Jacgul
    272 posts Member
    Options

Oh yeah? What's this then?xxii8nb7gor3.png
  • Jacgul
    272 posts Member
    Options
    Like I said, at even the average, I think, player's level, anything non relic is near useless. I never go for any character that isn't accelerated, the only exception is I did go for Kyle Katarn because of nostalgia. But don't act like these factors aren't a gate. It takes how long for the average player to get a single character to relic? That's a gate. It's either time or paywall. And I'm honestly mind blown by what some of these completely free to play guys are able to accomplish.
  • Options

Nothing in that screen shot negates what TVF is saying. The character isn't paywalled. She has an ability that is gear gated - no one is arguing that. But she's not pay walled.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • Ravens1113
    5215 posts Member
    Options

Nothing in that screen shot negates what TVF is saying. The character isn't paywalled. She has an ability that is gear gated - no one is arguing that. But she's not pay walled.

With a gear level that can’t be attained unless she’s 7*. Meaning she can’t be gotten there without using potentially upwards of 52k crystals ($350 worth). So a temporary pay wall in my eyes.
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    Options
    Ravens1113 wrote: »

With a gear level that can’t be attained unless she’s 7*. Meaning she can’t be gotten there without using potentially upwards of 52k crystals ($350 worth). So a temporary pay wall in my eyes.

Be honest here, would you be gearing her up, putting all of her abilities on and using her at 3* if you could? And, if so, why?
  • TVF
    36746 posts Member
    Options

Exactly what I've been saying.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    CrispyFett wrote: »
    It's still not a paywall, not even a limited-time paywall.

So how exactly, without paying or waiting, does one get it then?

With crystals you saved up.

I'm curious, how many people would have crystals saved up to 7* a character they didn't know they had to 7* to fully unlock her basic kit? Yes, she is needed Ipeople going after Journey Cal, but I imagine a lot of other folks would like her in their NS teams.

Its a resource management game. I generally keep a stockpile of around 40,000 to 50,000 crystals in case I need them. Once I get to 50,000 I'll generally spend down to 40,000 and then replenish. I think alot of people do this in varying amounts. Its a choice- instead of stockpiling crystals I could choose to always spend them right away. or wait and save them in case I want to get something like Merrin immediately (which I dont). Same goes for Gear, relic mats, etc. Thats why its a resource management game

I didn't say it was a paywall, did I? But it does encourage people to spend money if they don't have a large crystal stash saved up. I am in no rush to collect Merrin either, but surely G11 with 200+ kyros to get there would have been more than sufficient?

I imagine you also have quite high GP, giving you more reason to save your crystals in the manner you described.
  • Options

I'm curious, how many people would have crystals saved up to 7* a character they didn't know they had to 7* to fully unlock her basic kit? Yes, she is needed Ipeople going after Journey Cal, but I imagine a lot of other folks would like her in their NS teams.

Its a resource management game. I generally keep a stockpile of around 40,000 to 50,000 crystals in case I need them. Once I get to 50,000 I'll generally spend down to 40,000 and then replenish. I think alot of people do this in varying amounts. Its a choice- instead of stockpiling crystals I could choose to always spend them right away. or wait and save them in case I want to get something like Merrin immediately (which I dont). Same goes for Gear, relic mats, etc. Thats why its a resource management game

I didn't say it was a paywall, did I? But it does encourage people to spend money if they don't have a large crystal stash saved up. I am in no rush to collect Merrin either, but surely G11 with 200+ kyros to get there would have been more than sufficient?

I imagine you also have quite high GP, giving you more reason to save your crystals in the manner you described.

Considering the paper zombi possible interaction, there is a good chance a 3* merrin with all her capacities will be as efficient as a 7* merrin. Then, why improve this character at all ? Why bother buying packs with crystals/money if you don’t gain anything from it ? Gating the skill that might give the paper zombi issue at g12 makes sure there is still an incentive to get shards, a situation that is not needed for other characters who benefit from extra stars.
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    Options

I couldn't agree with you more that this is a resource management game..... So, where do you see an issue?.... There are constant temptations to make players spend money and there always has been, why is this any different?.....

Again, if someone can honesty tell me that they would gear up merrin and apply all of her abilities while keeping her at 3 stars and actually try and use her for something before she is farmable then I may change my opinion.... Otherwise, I think this is just fine...
  • Options
    Meaning she can’t be gotten there without using potentially upwards of 52k crystals ($350 worth). So a temporary pay wall in my eyes.
    I get crystals without spending any $$$.

• TVF
    36746 posts Member
    Options
    his eyes deceive him
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    Options
    So much outrage and indignity here over a massive nothing burger...

Again, I am curious and would like to hear from someone that would actually gear merrin up to 11, max her abilities and use her at 3 stars....

Would also like to hear why they would do that, and what they would use her for....

Until someone can explain this, I don't see an issue here.. .
  • Options
    Locking a skill behind 7* g12 from release, is fine.
    Better than release it first, after some ppl win against something and they decide to do it.
  • Options
    Phoenixeon wrote: »
    Better than release it first, after some ppl win against something and they decide to do it.

The outrage would be 10x what's in this thread if they did that lol
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    Options

Exactly... Look what happened when the paper zombie cheese was out and plaers were outraged because they had geared up their zombie.... so CG had to fix zombie after the fact....

Now CG takes a step in advance to make sure there isn't more Nightsister cheese and the players are outraged again... lol
  • Options

Exactly... Look what happened when the paper zombie cheese was out and plaers were outraged because they had geared up their zombie.... so CG had to fix zombie after the fact....

Now CG takes a step in advance to make sure there isn't more Nightsister cheese and the players are outraged again... lol

Because of where they’re putting the lock at. If they put it at G11 nobody would say a word. Well hopefully not.

To answer you, I 100% would. Having that ability at G11 produces so much more for that NS team. It would be totally worth the investment. Also, mark my words they’ll have NS based feats in the next conquest. Having that ability would make them trivial which is another reason I’m sure they gated the ability where they did
  • Options
    Merrin is an easy 7* before it’s farmable if it’s important to you without spending cash. Merrin will hit weekly shipments 4 weeks?? Before farmable where you can purchase 85 each week. I’m not sure when it exactly it hits featured shipments but for 22400 crystals you can go from 0/30 to 7 star assuming you see it in featured 7 times.

Assuming your daily income is greater than 400 crystals a day, you’ll get all the crystals you need even if you had zero before Merrin is farmable. So it really is just a choice based on how important you feel the ability is. 8 weeks at most of an advantage to krakens is not a big deal. If you make it longer that’s your choice but not some weird conspiracy against you specifically.
  • Options

Because of where they’re putting the lock at. If they put it at G11 nobody would say a word. Well hopefully not.

To answer you, I 100% would. Having that ability at G11 produces so much more for that NS team. It would be totally worth the investment. Also, mark my words they’ll have NS based feats in the next conquest. Having that ability would make them trivial which is another reason I’m sure they gated the ability where they did
    You’re answering your own questions here.

Having a character that would be arguably more effective at g11 than they would at g12 / relics is absolutely not in the interest of the game’s future, and it’s perfectly reasonable for the devs to prevent this from happening.

The devs have created an interesting character mechanic that would be more powerful at lower gear levels than it would at higher gear levels, so they’ve ensured that nobody gets this ability without the requisite investment of money / crystals or ultimately time.

Anyone that has a problem with this is being unrealistic and naive. The devs cannot possibly sanction the release of a character that the vast majority of the player base could instantly unlock at its most powerful performance level.
  • Options
    Of course they could manage this in another way in the future. If they just made it a 7* unlock then people could take Merrin to g12 as soon as they were able to unlock them, gear being available that is. Would that be a better solution to those complaining about this?
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    Options
    Of course they could manage this in another way in the future. If they just made it a 7* unlock then people could take Merrin to g12 as soon as they were able to unlock them, gear being available that is. Would that be a better solution to those complaining about this?

They aren't making money off a 7* unlock.... Why would they do that?
  • Options

They aren't making money off a 7* unlock.... Why would they do that?

Well this way they could have abilities gated at g12, and people couldn’t complain about not being able to use all the abilities when the toon is still only 3/4* … because you wouldn’t be able to have the toon at 3/4*
    I mean I think it’s a horrible idea, I’m just saying the devs could be meaner if they really wanted.

Also, you can bet they would make money off a 7* unlock, because no matter how high the bar is, some people will pay to have the toon sooner.