TVF wrote: »
    Lotiras wrote: »
    Oh lovely, so glad we get more pay walls

Hello.

I'm one of the usual suspects.

It's not a paywall.

Cheers.

The fact you had the courage of saying it is not a paywall and is not a precedent is amazing.
    It IS indeed a wall, call it time wall if you wish, but still.

It doesn't take courage for me to say it's not a paywall when you just admitted it yourself.

let me rephrase it:
    You need to spend money OR to have banked up about 9 months worth of crystals (more if you are not kyber) to try out the new character yourself, that makes it a paywall, but it is going to become available sooner or later, that makes it more of a limited-time paywall. Also, ah ah, so funny.

There's another thread where this is being discussed ad nauseam (https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/262671/kit-reveal-merrin#latest)

It's not a paywall. Its not a limited-time paywall. Just call it something else. There is no requirement here for you to spend money to use this character. Like every other aspect of the game, if you want the newest thing immediately, then you may have to spend real money. That's not a paywall. You can ultimately get her to 7* for free. just wait. Or Don't. But there's no requirement to spend money to get her.
  • Jacgul
    272 posts Member
    Options
    It's still not a paywall, not even a limited-time paywall.

So how exactly, without paying or waiting, does one get it then?
  • TVF
    36746 posts Member
    Options
    Jacgul wrote: »

With crystals you saved up.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options

By having hoarded crystals which are available to players for free. The difficult bit, admittedly, is knowing which characters are worth using some of that hoard on, but then this is a resource management game after all. Ultimately, this character will be obtainable at 7* as quickly as any new marquee character, and will probably be very useful even without that ability active.

Merrin will be farmable in about 8 weeks. From that point onwards, assuming you haven’t earned any extra shards in shipments or packs, you can easily earn 4/5 shards a day doing the 25 and 50 crystal refreshes. For the remaining 250 shards it will then take approx another 9 weeks to hit 7* which is plenty of time to earn any needed gear. So 4 months from now even ftp players will be able to have a maxed Merrin. That’s faster than most new journey guide characters when they drop and from the kit Merrin looks almost at that level.

One final thought. If this ability was only gated at g11 you can bet that you would need at least 300 kyros to get that far. That’s weeks of gear farming assuming you don’t need them for any other toons. The g12 req really won’t make that much of a difference for the majority of players.
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • Options

I'm curious, how many people would have crystals saved up to 7* a character they didn't know they had to 7* to fully unlock her basic kit? Yes, she is needed for people going after Journey Cal, but I imagine a lot of other folks would like her in their NS teams.
  • Options
    I'm curious, how many people would have crystals saved up to 7* a character they didn't know they had to 7* to fully unlock her basic kit? Yes, she is needed for people going after Journey Cal, but I imagine a lot of other folks would like her in their NS teams.

How would they not know? The kit reveal quite plainly stated that you need to have Merrin at G12 to be able to unlock that ability, therefore it’s equally plain you need her at 7*.
  • Options

How would they not know? The kit reveal quite plainly stated that you need to have Merrin at G12 to be able to unlock that ability, therefore it’s equally plain you need her at 7*.

I think they mean...until a few days ago nobody knew she had a skill gated behind 7* and there was no reason to think that from her launch announcement until after reading her kit reveal for the 1st time. How many players can accumulate the needed crystals to 7* her without spending money from the kit reveal day (the 1st time we were aware a skill is gated) to the release day yesterday? We all know its impossible to accumulate that many free crystals in 3-4 days then its fair to say the added skill block behind 7* is, in actuality, a pay wall.
  • Options
    The best part abt her is that she doesn’t need any kyros until she is on G10. the only thing that’s gonna take time is getting the stars.
  • CrispyFett
    1001 posts Member
    Options

I'm curious, how many people would have crystals saved up to 7* a character they didn't know they had to 7* to fully unlock her basic kit? Yes, she is needed Ipeople going after Journey Cal, but I imagine a lot of other folks would like her in their NS teams.

Its a resource management game. I generally keep a stockpile of around 40,000 to 50,000 crystals in case I need them. Once I get to 50,000 I'll generally spend down to 40,000 and then replenish. I think alot of people do this in varying amounts. Its a choice- instead of stockpiling crystals I could choose to always spend them right away. or wait and save them in case I want to get something like Merrin immediately (which I dont). Same goes for Gear, relic mats, etc. Thats why its a resource management game
  • CrispyFett
    1001 posts Member
    Options

I think they mean...until a few days ago nobody knew she had a skill gated behind 7* and there was no reason to think that from her launch announcement until after reading her kit reveal for the 1st time. How many players can accumulate the needed crystals to 7* her without spending money from the kit reveal day (the 1st time we were aware a skill is gated) to the release day yesterday? We all know its impossible to accumulate that many free crystals in 3-4 days then its fair to say the added skill block behind 7* is, in actuality, a pay wall.

Incorrect, it is not a paywall. See my above post. I earned all of my crystals FTP
  • Options
    paywall
    noun
    pay·​wall ˈpā-ˌwȯl
    : a system that prevents Internet users from accessing certain Web content without a paid subscription

As Crispy has said, this is not a paywall since you can have enough crystals to 7* Merrin as a FTP player.

And of course no one knew a few days ago. No one can be 100% sure of kit of any announced character until they reveal it… plus there’s a very clear reason they did it the way they did.
  • Options
    paywall
    noun
    pay·​wall ˈpā-ˌwȯl
    : a system that prevents Internet users from accessing certain Web content without a paid subscription

As Crispy has said, this is not a paywall since you can have enough crystals to 7* Merrin as a FTP player.

And of course no one knew a few days ago. No one can be 100% sure of kit of any announced character until they reveal it… plus there’s a very clear reason they did it the way they did.

I agree, but what is the reason?
  • Options
    Yeah, I’m not even going to bother with her for another two years. I’m still in that early game phase where this just doesn’t affect me.
  • Options

Why does Shadow Stride unlock at Gear 12?
    This is an incredibly powerful ability and we want to avoid concepts like “Paper Zombie” from creeping back into action
  • Options

This is an incredibly powerful ability and we want to avoid concepts like “Paper Zombie” from creeping back into action
    Thanks!
  • Boros
    507 posts Member
    Options

Idk i feel like this is going to make a paper zombie, if you keep her at gear 1 and max out her first ability, you would be able to ramp up both asaj and daka and still be able to apply 2 stack of plague every other turn
  • Jacgul
    272 posts Member
    Options

Which makes it a time wall. Do you think that most players are generating, free to play, enough crystals to reasonably be able to 7 star a new character?? She isn't even in shipments yet. What an utterly ridiculous statement.
  • Options

Which makes it a time wall. Do you think that most players are generating, free to play, enough crystals to reasonably be able to 7 star a new character?? She isn't even in shipments yet. What an utterly ridiculous statement.

Still not a paywall though is it, in fact time wall isn’t even accurate. Patience wall would be more appropriate given that most players could earn the crystals needed, they just tend not to hoard them to the levels needed.
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • Options

Every new character has "pay" or "time" wall. You can't get all new shines at full for free just after they where added. You either pay real money, or crystals you hoarded or wait for it to be farmable.
    That is how this game works and has always been working.
  • Whatelse73
    2204 posts Member
    Options
    CrispyFett wrote: »

I'm curious, how many people would have crystals saved up to 7* a character they didn't know they had to 7* to fully unlock her basic kit? Yes, she is needed Ipeople going after Journey Cal, but I imagine a lot of other folks would like her in their NS teams.

Its a resource management game. I generally keep a stockpile of around 40,000 to 50,000 crystals in case I need them. Once I get to 50,000 I'll generally spend down to 40,000 and then replenish. I think alot of people do this in varying amounts. Its a choice- instead of stockpiling crystals I could choose to always spend them right away. or wait and save them in case I want to get something like Merrin immediately (which I dont). Same goes for Gear, relic mats, etc. Thats why its a resource management game

50,000 is only enough to unlock one 7* character if you're lucky enough to get a couple of very high pulls. It's over 60,000 crystals for one character if you average 7 shards a pull.

I don't think it's as big a deal as it is being made to be since realistically characters that aren't relic'd aren't really being used for much. CG pretty much made R3-R5 the standard for the game at this point. G12 Merrin isn't going to do much, let alone G11 or lower.

So when you unlock Survivor Cal next year, let us know.
  • Options
    So, almost every character has at least one if not more of their abilities locked behind a required gear level. I don't see what people are so upset about. You can still use the character at 3* - you just can't use her to her full potential. The same is true of literally every character in the game that unlocks at 5* or less. This is the first time that an ability requires G12 to activate - if you weren't planning to take her to relics then chances are slim that you'd ever have to worry about her anyway. Total non-issue. I don't get the outrage.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • Ravens1113
    5215 posts Member
    Options
    So, almost every character has at least one if not more of their abilities locked behind a required gear level. I don't see what people are so upset about. You can still use the character at 3* - you just can't use her to her full potential. The same is true of literally every character in the game that unlocks at 5* or less. This is the first time that an ability requires G12 to activate - if you weren't planning to take her to relics then chances are slim that you'd ever have to worry about her anyway. Total non-issue. I don't get the outrage.

For me it’s the G12 part because to get her full potential it’s now locked behind getting her to 7*. Yes it’s been done before at varying levels but never as high as G12. My worry is it being the starting point for a precedent to be set that they start to gate abilities behind even higher relic levels. What’s to stop them from putting an ability locked behind R5?

Just like in the past as they crept up the reqs for legendaries from stars, to power level then hard relic requirements.
  • nfidel2k
    559 posts Member
    Options
    Ravens1113 wrote: »

For me it’s the G12 part because to get her full potential it’s now locked behind getting her to 7*. Yes it’s been done before at varying levels but never as high as G12. My worry is it being the starting point for a precedent to be set that they start to gate abilities behind even higher relic levels. What’s to stop them from putting an ability locked behind R5?

Just like in the past as they crept up the reqs for legendaries from stars, to power level then hard relic requirements.

Nothing stops them from doing that. Just like before Merrin, when nothing was stopping them from doing that. The sky isn’t falling. This isn’t a legal system, there’s no stare decisis; no requirement that this must be the way going forward.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.
  • yolkywareagle
    1016 posts Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    The way i look at this is that CG doesn’t want newcomers. g12 is hard when you first start, and you are struggling to get to gear 5. i remember unlocking boba fett for the first time and under his contract i saw “unlocks at gear level VIII.” I thought: hell naw. i’m never gonna get there. so if i were new and saw that gear unlocks at g12 i would freak out and think this game is pay to play only and there is no way to get anywhere.
  • Notthatguyfrombefore
    1105 posts Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    The way i look at this is that CG doesn’t want newcomers. g12 is hard when you first start, and you are struggling to get to gear 5. i remember unlocking boba fett for the first time and under his contract i saw “unlocks at gear level VIII.” I thought: hell naw. i’m never gonna get there. so if i were new and saw that gear unlocks at g12 i would freak out and think this game is pay to play only and there is no way to get anywhere.

And yet we have toons locked behind r8 and a ship gated behind r9. CG have always ramped up the gating of toons. Hell, conquest toons are effectively gated behind 4m GP. This is nothing new and I don’t see why it’s any worse than what they’ve done before.
  • AlexanderG
    1928 posts Member
    Options
    I can't think of any characters that I use these days at low stars.. As others have said, late game viability is at relics now.

I can't get too exercised about. She looks good though.
  • AlexanderG
    1928 posts Member
    Options

And yet we have toons locked behind r8 and a ship gated behind r9. CG have always ramped up the gating of toons. Hell, conquest toons are effectively gated behind 4m GP. This is nothing new and I don’t see why it’s any worse than what they’ve done before.

True.

DCs gated behind relics is another example.
  • Starslayer
    2421 posts Member
    Options

In a era where you have double drop on old characters shards and gear under g12, using your limited resources as a newcomer in order to gear the new stuff who doesn’t profit from accelerated farming and needs kyros, the only pre g12 gear that doesn’t get double drop, is not a wise decision.
  • Options
    Starslayer wrote: »

In a era where you have double drop on old characters shards and gear under g12, using your limited resources as a newcomer in order to gear the new stuff who doesn’t profit from accelerated farming and needs kyros, the only pre g12 gear that doesn’t get double drop, is not a wise decision.

That is true, but if i joined the game a week ago and saw that i could get a free 3* character, which is higher than the 1-2* characters that they give you to start, i would be all for it. most people don’t know what they are getting into, they prob don’t realize the accelerated shards on others compared to merrin, and may not know about the gear crunch.
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    Options
    Nobody is forcing anyone to get Merrin... The fact of the matter is that newer players shouldn't be worried about her at this point and that older players can choose whether or not they want to invest in getting her to gear 12, it's that simple....At the end of the day I don't see her and her kit as some game breaking juggernaut by any means.

If you paid attention they said they were showcasing how Merrin changed NS and the event was supposed to showcase how she helped nightsisters defeat the usual NS counters.... Then, when the event ran it had them up against some weak BH, Ewoks and Phoenix.... They are still going to get steamrolled by good old imperial trooper teams, so why sweat it?