[MEGA THREAD] February Road Ahead 2024

Replies

• Options
    So now you’re putting light speed bundles as gifts only… to try and sell this dodgy idea. Has anyone thought this through? Huge opportunity for scammers, bullies and other manipulation. This is why there should be trading standards to hold you to account. Almost no one is going to send these gifts, but people will be desperately trying to find a way to buy them… which can only bring the whole game into disrepute. It’s morally corrupt of you to green light this… I expect nothing less from ea
  • Options
    So as an adult during the release of TPM. Both sides are right and wrong. The objection to jar jar was many could see paternalistic racism In bodied in him. Specifically, the view was jar jar was obviously speaking with an homage to Jamaican pidgin dialect (more on this in a second). So all of his clumsiness but getting things accomplished was taken with a very negative reaction as it fed into old stereotypes that African people and descendants of them were child like and needed to be taken care of. Arguments to this effect were used to justify slavery and a whole lot else.

While I don’t believe this was Lucas’ intent obviously, I do understand why people dislike the character for this reason. Where people get it wrong is it was Ahmed best who made the stylistic choices for jars jars manner of speaking (he was quoted to have specifically chosen Jamaican pidgin iirc).

This was a controversy at the time of release. and jar has been rejected by a large portion even if his depiction is better in the animated shows.

For me personally, he is problematic. He isn’t a positive representation imho. But to each his own. I personally don’t like Charlie Brown because he is the lovable loser and I despise Lucy because she’s a bully always picking on Charlie.

I wouldn’t expect you to share my beliefs on Charlie Brown and Lucy but nor do I think you should dismiss my pov either.

• Options
    And what about the rest of the Gungans? They don't seem to fit into the same stereotype to me. Let's just say all the Gungans were replaced with dark-skinned humans with Jamaican accents. I would still see Jar Jar as a goofball outlier, not a reinforced stereotype.
  • Drathuk916
    635 posts Member
    edited February 23
    Options
    And what about the rest of the Gungans? They don't seem to fit into the same stereotype to me. Let's just say all the Gungans were replaced with dark-skinned humans with Jamaican accents. I would still see Jar Jar as a goofball outlier, not a reinforced stereotype.

Read this article from 1999 if you want to continue going down this rabbit hole.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1999-may-26-ca-40965-story.html
  • Deathbringer59
    598 posts Member
    edited February 23
    Options
    Just read that article. Still doesn't change my mind about Jar Jar. I read articles like those with skeptism. That again is other people's opinions. It's good thing I'm not looking at every alien species in a made up shows/movies and try to connect them to some made up dots.

If it's obvious and really meant to be racists then ya all for pointing it out but Jar Jar is just people saying it is and other repeating the claim.

Ahmed chose his style that way on purpose. No one else told to do that.
    So Mace wasn't a good representation or we going to forget about him? I don't recall him having a Jamacain Ascent or a bumbling fool.
  • Options
    Just read that article. Still doesn't change my mind about Jar Jar. I read articles like those with skeptism. That again is other people's opinions. It's good thing I'm not looking at every alien species in a made up shows/movies and try to connect them to some made up dots.

If it's obvious and really meant to be racists then ya all for pointing it out but Jar Jar is just people saying it is and other repeating the claim.

Ahmed chose his style that way on purpose. No one else told to do that.
    So Mace wasn't a good representation or we going to forget about him? I don't recall him having a Jamacain Ascent or a bumbling fool.

So I didn’t comment to change minds but to somewhat counter the argument of people are looking to be offended these days. He was controversial 25 years ago. I don’t think he was intended to be a racist caricature. However, I do see him as problematic and understand why he is viewed negatively as a character. To me, it was the confluence of George Lucas wanting to depict a less developed culture defeating a more technological army(he stated on dvd commentary Vietnam is an inspiration throughout Star Wars) plus Ahmed Best acting choices.

Neither in their own right were problematic let alone nefarious. Best certainly shouldn’t have gotten the grief he got for his choices in the first few years after TPM was released.

However, when combining the two I do see what led to the reactions the character got. I’ve got no issue with jar jar being introduced. He exists. Like him or don’t like him but the reasons many don’t like him started the moment his character was released. The criticisms of him in this thread are nothing new and frankly should have been expected.
  • LordDirt
    5059 posts Member
    edited February 23
    Options
    How do you explain these?

Watto-With-Hat-1024x581.jpg

gwdipuwnrs6u.jpeg
    0bi4gmqp30ks.jpeg

Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Lumiya
    1512 posts Member
    Options
    LordDirt wrote: »

gwdipuwnrs6u.jpeg
    0bi4gmqp30ks.jpeg

?
    What do you want explained?

I don't even know what I should be looking for here...

First picture something about the big nose? Or what is it supposed to be that's offensive? He most reminds me of a Saiga Antilope
    vc44yc99cnxu.jpg

fu3ck51jho58.jpg

Tuskens are masked... what I think of the most when I see them is a mixture of a mole and Tardigrade.

And the last one heavily incorporates the image we have about Aliens. No nose, big almond shaped dark eyes and a slit like mouth.

Just as an FYI: Artists very often look and turn to nature, when it comes to designing (alien)species and things and I am quite sure that the majority of them is neither racist nor would they even have thought about what some people see. Keep also in mind, artists often come from around the world and are not only from the US. Lots of companies working on big productions are not US based, which brings me to my next point:

Maybe it is also a cultural thing. Outside of the US some specific racial contexts and problems do not exist in that form. There may be others and of course there are also shared ones but it would explain, why some people from the US see something someone from outside might not see, think of or have in mind, when creating/seeing a fictional alien species.

We are all made of star-stuff
  • Lumiya
    1512 posts Member
    edited February 23
    Options
  • Options
    I have the following problem: a friend from the guild gave me the “Speed of Light” set, but his payment did not go through and I did not receive the set, and now no one can give it to me, the message “this set has already been gifted.” The friend is trying to pay again, but the message “someone has already donated this set: “delete deferred purchase / ok”” appears when you press “ok”, nothing happens, and you can’t remove it from the “deferred” ones - it gives an error with code 3.0. A friend bought it from Android , from Google Play. I have an iPhone 11. what should I do?
    bj1l4jgwts0a.jpg
    zkmdh7zzgtnu.jpg

• Options
    Lumiya wrote: »

gwdipuwnrs6u.jpeg
    0bi4gmqp30ks.jpeg

?

First picture something about the big nose? Or what is it supposed to be that's offensive? He most reminds me of a Saiga Antilope
    vc44yc99cnxu.jpg

fu3ck51jho58.jpg

Tuskens are masked... what I think of the most when I see them is a mixture of a mole and Tardigrade.

And the last one heavily incorporates the image we have about Aliens. No nose, big almond shaped dark eyes and a slit like mouth.

Just as an FYI: Artists very often look and turn to nature, when it comes to designing (alien)species and things and I am quite sure that the majority of them is neither racist nor would they even have thought about what some people see. Keep also in mind, artists often come from around the world and are not only from the US. Lots of companies working on big productions are not US based, which brings me to my next point:

Maybe it is also a cultural thing. Outside of the US some specific racial contexts and problems do not exist in that form. There may be others and of course there are also shared ones but it would explain, why some people from the US see something someone from outside might not see, think of or have in mind, when creating/seeing a fictional alien species.

A greedy individual with big nose and round hat can be (quite obviously) taken as offensive, but Toydarians were then shown in TCW as something completely different.
    Tuskens were stereotypical "angry natives", kinda like the crudest depictions of native Americans in westerns, until Mandalorian and BoBF gave them more development.
    Not sure about the Neimodians, I heard that it's somehow playing into Asian stereotypes, but I completely fail to see how.
  • Options
    Gungans and especially Jar Jar finally arrive! This is great news. Way overdue.

But, why Jar Jar is going to be a legendary character is beyond me. Definitely doesn’t fit and will only create controversy. Poor decision
  • TVF
    36645 posts Member
    edited February 23
    Options
    Nauros wrote: »

gwdipuwnrs6u.jpeg
    0bi4gmqp30ks.jpeg

?

vc44yc99cnxu.jpg

fu3ck51jho58.jpg

A greedy individual with big nose and round hat can be (quite obviously) taken as offensive, but Toydarians were then shown in TCW as something completely different.
    Tuskens were stereotypical "angry natives", kinda like the crudest depictions of native Americans in westerns, until Mandalorian and BoBF gave them more development.
    Not sure about the Neimodians, I heard that it's somehow playing into Asian stereotypes, but I completely fail to see how.

https://contemporaryracism.org/27658/the-phantom-menace-was-racist-and-here-is-why-that-matters/
    This alien species is referred to as the Neimoidians, with their species being one of the main antagonists of The Phantom Menace. The Neimodians have been metaphorically ripped to shreds for being obvious representations of Eastern Asian stereotypes. This is not only due to the clothing they wear, being long tunics, similar to those seen in historical depictions of Chinese royalty, but also due to the quick, stunted way in which the aliens communicate in English. This quick, stunted way of speaking is often used to further racist stereotypes of how people from Eastern Asia present themselves when attempting to speak in English or interact in American culture.

As always I look forward to people saying "nu-uh that's stupid, no racism to be found, you're just want to be offended aflk;jbkl;kakjfl;sjk;sdlk"
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Lumiya
    1512 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »

gwdipuwnrs6u.jpeg
    0bi4gmqp30ks.jpeg

?

vc44yc99cnxu.jpg

fu3ck51jho58.jpg

https://contemporaryracism.org/27658/the-phantom-menace-was-racist-and-here-is-why-that-matters/
    This alien species is referred to as the Neimoidians, with their species being one of the main antagonists of The Phantom Menace. The Neimodians have been metaphorically ripped to shreds for being obvious representations of Eastern Asian stereotypes. This is not only due to the clothing they wear, being long tunics, similar to those seen in historical depictions of Chinese royalty, but also due to the quick, stunted way in which the aliens communicate in English. This quick, stunted way of speaking is often used to further racist stereotypes of how people from Eastern Asia present themselves when attempting to speak in English or interact in American culture.

As always I look forward to people saying "nu-uh that's stupid, no racism to be found, you're just want to be offended aflk;jbkl;kakjfl;sjk;sdlk"

Like I said... I think this is a cultural thing.

The intend is very important here and yes, I do not believe that all the creators and artists had these racist intentions and/or added racist undertones on purpose. As I've said before, the people working on these movies were from around the world, and they definitely were not all white or from the US. To assume that they all had these racist intentions is actually really disturbing and very unfair. The actor for Jar Jar for example made the decision for the speech pattern himself and obviously did not have racist intentions. And look how the poor guy got treated afterwards.

• Options

gwdipuwnrs6u.jpeg
    0bi4gmqp30ks.jpeg

As I said earlier I didn’t comment to change minds. I commented to point out that the criticism of jar jar specifically but also nute and watto have been around since the movies release. Just as the criticism of the OT lacking diversity has existed since their releases.

Obviously I have rose tinted glasses when it comes to the OT. RotJ was one of the first movies I recall seeing in theaters. Yet I wouldn’t tell anyone that points out the criticism of OT that “come on Lando should be enough.”

I do believe this is somewhat generational. More specifically what trilogy introduced you to the universe. I know my reactions to the prequels will be vastly different than those who grew up on them. I’m not trying to ruin them for you. But I’m not going to say I don’t find them to be hot mess. The lightsaber battles are the best in any of the movies but even ignoring and just accepting problematic characters doesn’t change the many decisions characters make that just don’t fit the character let alone common sense.
  • Starslayer
    2420 posts Member
    edited February 24
    Options

Those parts of BoBF had a really strong "Dance with wolves" vibe.

• Options
    Starslayer wrote: »

I always thought a Man Called Horse but I know what you mean
  • Options
    Wed_Santa wrote: »

Dad ?
  • Options
    Whatelse73 wrote: »
    I might have missed where in the road ahead there would be some priority put on doing better quality assurance so not everything released is buggy and/or broken?

The queen seems interesting though, having a free tank ought to be fun.

This comment aged well 🤣
  • Options
    Wed_Santa wrote: »

Dad ?

Hahaha- but in my defence it was only made seven years before Star Wars (& it’s a way better film than DWW)
  • BobaFettish86
    602 posts Member
    edited February 26
    Options
    Buffbeardo wrote: »

But, why Jar Jar is going to be a legendary character is beyond me. Definitely doesn’t fit and will only create controversy. Poor decision

Totally agree. Should have been a GL.
    *LOL

I'm more curious whether JMK will be eligible for the raid since we'll be using GR and Seps. Or no Raid GL altogether would be an interesting curveball to encourage theory crafting.
    Post edited by BobaFettish86 on
  • SunDevil311
    2 posts Member
    edited February 25
    Options
    lol putting jar jar in the same group as c3po and ewoks

Yeah, I don't think so. C3P0 is intentionally prissy, he's the OG comic relief (along with his counterpart). Ewoks are meh, never found them interesting. That said, they figured out how to deal with AT-STs pretty handily, so touche, ewoks.

Jar Jar is unlikeable, annoying, and commonly associated with racial stereotypes. The Gungans in general are an unimpressive and lackluster species. Both are far too juvenile for a SW movie IMO, but I appreciate the target demographic for the prequels was young.

C3P0 is a valid gripe. I wasn't his biggest fan originally, but many of his lines and his uppity personality grew on me. It's just silly and disappointing that the prequels focused so much on Jar Jar.

I'm all for the underdog saving the day, but not by clumsy, dumb luck (I might add that he didn't actually save anything, just right place right time... dumb luck).
  • TVF
    36645 posts Member
    Options

First ever Racial Stereotype Galactic Legend, sounds like a great idea.

I hope this discussion is what CG wanted.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    I might have missed where in the road ahead there would be some priority put on doing better quality assurance so not everything released is buggy and/or broken?

The queen seems interesting though, having a free tank ought to be fun.

This comment aged well 🤣

Huh?
  • Options
    Just let us buy our own LSB's. Stop with the stupid gimmicks and give the players what they want.
  • Options
    Just let us buy our own LSB's. Stop with the stupid gimmicks and give the players what they want.

Should have bought them the first time. Now they are testing out their new thing. Give it more time and maybe you can buy them again.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Options

Should have bought them the first time. Now they are testing out their new thing. Give it more time and maybe you can buy them again.

Thanks for the assumption that I had a chance to buy it the first time around. Started playing in November and don't have the Raddus Bundle. Have tried multiple times to have it gifted, but my account is ineligible. And to save more assumptions, my account is not setup as a minor.

Even at that, nobody wanted only a gifting feature. If they rolled it out with the opportunity to buy it for your account as well, then there would be fewer issues surrounding the failed gifting system they "tried" to implement.
  • Options

Thanks for the assumption that I had a chance to buy it the first time around. Started playing in November and don't have the Raddus Bundle. Have tried multiple times to have it gifted, but my account is ineligible. And to save more assumptions, my account is not setup as a minor.

Even at that, nobody wanted only a gifting feature. If they rolled it out with the opportunity to buy it for your account as well, then there would be fewer issues surrounding the failed gifting system they "tried" to implement.

Definitely buggy, just like everything else they release. I'm sure they'll make it work ASAP since it is a revenue source.

If only they had a way to have a group test out new parts of the game, new characters, new ships, etc., so virtually everything wouldn't be released as broken as it was?
  • Options

Definitely buggy, just like everything else they release. I'm sure they'll make it work ASAP since it is a revenue source.

If only they had a way to have a group test out new parts of the game, new characters, new ships, etc., so virtually everything wouldn't be released as broken as it was?

I second that. Ya know, Marvel Future Fight (Netmarble) had a Star Creator group that would test updates before it released. It was wonderful for the community since we felt like we were being represented. If CG could do something similar, it would do wonders for their image... and hopefully be just as beneficial to the players.
  • Options

First ever Racial Stereotype Galactic Legend, sounds like a great idea.

I hope this discussion is what CG wanted.

If you read the post I quoted, it is fairly obvious I wasn't being serious.