Star Wars: Acolyte [SPOILER S1:E5] discussion

Replies

• Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    This isn't a documentary, its an entertainment show

maybe its just me, but i have a high tolerance which makes me able to enjoy what i'm watching

Same here. You don't like a show/movie, you think it's trash, full of "agendas", etc.? Fine. But doesn't mean other people are obligated to feel the same way. If they want to enjoy it or find something in it that's worth watching, that's their business. You have a right to disagree, that's still no reason for you to start attacking them. I mean, football/soccer/whatever bores me to tears, that doesn't mean I have a right to belittle people for liking it.
  • Options
    Screerider wrote: »
    I’m more skeptical about them being to ID Osha based on the bartender’s description, what with trillions of humans/near-humans in the galaxy.

i mean, yeah but you need to have some level of suspension of disbelief to enjoy entertainment

i can nitpick realism in batman films, the boys, breaking bad or any show if i wanted to, sometimes you just have to accept things without being too rigid about how hyper realistic it is as long as its not super dumb beyond belief

An eyewitness account on Osha is fine imo

I laughed out loud in both the first episode and second episode on how the jedi masters died. So I'm to believe the jedi master got killed by a single knife stab but GI, Sabine and Reva survives lightsaber stabs, Reva 2 of them supposedly. Then the 2nd master drinks the poison cause he's guilty. Couldve just died in the 1st attempt on his life, instead we get his contrive plot to kill him poison.
  • Ultra
    11602 posts Moderator
    Options
    I’m more skeptical about them being to ID Osha based on the bartender’s description, what with trillions of humans/near-humans in the galaxy.

i mean, yeah but you need to have some level of suspension of disbelief to enjoy entertainment

i can nitpick realism in batman films, the boys, breaking bad or any show if i wanted to, sometimes you just have to accept things without being too rigid about how hyper realistic it is as long as its not super dumb beyond belief

An eyewitness account on Osha is fine imo

I laughed out loud in both the first episode and second episode on how the jedi masters died. So I'm to believe the jedi master got killed by a single knife stab but GI, Sabine and Reva survives lightsaber stabs, Reva 2 of them supposedly. Then the 2nd master drinks the poison cause he's guilty. Couldve just died in the 1st attempt on his life, instead we get his contrive plot to kill him poison.

i thought the way they killed Carrie's character was well done

She was quick to throw a knife the second the attention was diverted

Its how many jedi died in Order 66

Or killing a jedi with a single blaster fire is okay if its clone trooper but not other characters?

i mean, your complaint is silly, just because GI/Sabine/Reva can survive a lightsaber stab doesn't mean no jedi can die with a knife to the heart

Are you going to complain how the Phantom Menace is a really stupid movie since Qui-Gon died to a lightsaber stab?

What does Kenobi / Ahsoka stuff have to do with this? Everyone complained surviving lightsaber stabs when it happened in that show and now people are complaining not surviving fatal blows in this show?

As far as the Jedi Poison goes, obviously there is more to the story, we need more episodes to tell more about the 2nd master and what happened in that planet to decide if this makes sense or not
  • Ultra
    11602 posts Moderator
    Options
    laughing out loud:

d7b0zywwihxl.jpg

why he dying to a stab :joy::joy:
  • LordDirt
    5171 posts Member
    Options
    Yep, QGJ should have survived that.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Options
    Soo here's my take from episode 3. The jedi are supposed to feel guilty/responsible for what happen even though the little psychopath is the one that started the fire? I'm confused unless I missed something I'm guessing the next few episodes are gonna be like "it wasnt really here" but idk as of right now Mae is 100% the main reason everything happened. All cause she couldn't get separated but again I doubt that's the real reason
  • Devian
    678 posts Member
    edited June 12
    Options
    Unless Sol is a sith and all that concept turns out to be 'lacking wisdom' of some cult, this is complete garbage.
    Not sure I even have any will to see the rest of episodes. Continuation of ideas proposed in e8.
  • Devian
    678 posts Member
    edited June 12
    Options
    Soo here's my take from episode 3. The jedi are supposed to feel guilty/responsible for what happen even though the little psychopath is the one that started the fire? I'm confused unless I missed something I'm guessing the next few episodes are gonna be like "it wasnt really here" but idk as of right now Mae is 100% the main reason everything happened. All cause she couldn't get separated but again I doubt that's the real reason
    From how it looks, Jedi killed them all because they are police and someone made bad choice which resulted in police killing suspects(you know, like those situations where officers sees teen holding a gun, he thinks thats some dude that tries to kill someone and starts shooting. Basically that is what it looks like, because of all those 'permission to speak', 'don't do any rash movements or I'll use my LS'). And ofc, Jedi tried to hide the truth stating its all because of fire, At least how it looks now.
  • Screerider
    1460 posts Member
    Options
    LordDirt wrote: »
    So now we have another created conception using the Force to make Anakin’s story not so special.
    Sheev may well have learned how to do it because these witches knew how.

Sheev created Anakin to destroy the Jedi. Probably even influenced Qui Gon to discover him with the bogus Chosen One prophecy. There's no need to go looking for a Chosen One when "the Sith have been extinct for a millennium." Ani was just a pawn... nothing special.

• Franke
    139 posts Member
    edited June 12
    Options
    Used to be super excited when new sw came out, not any more. Acolyte may even be worse than kenobi. Very bad writing. Just like that one of the twins is going to kill her sister, like murder is the first and only solution..Just one of many examples..
    Its a pity George let it go...
  • Ultra
    11602 posts Moderator
    edited June 12
    Options
    Franke wrote: »
    Used to be super excited when new sw came out, not any more. Acolyte may even be worse than kenobi. Very bad writing. Just like that one of the twins is going to kill her sister, like murder is the first and only solution..Just one of many examples..

Haven't seen the third episode yet, but

if you are referring to the second episode, Osha tried to use a stun gun on her sister, and May never tried to kill Osha

Also, Osha stated she's angry at May for killing her parents earlier in the episode and Sol warned her from letting revenge consume her, so its not that out of the blue for her wanting to kill her
  • LordDirt
    5171 posts Member
    edited June 13
    Options
    How would he learn from them if they are dead? Why would the Jedi even consider taking these two girls as they are too old. This story is following TPM story way too much.
    Post edited by LordDirt on
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Options
    Answers may well be incoming
  • Ultra
    11602 posts Moderator
    edited June 13
    Options
    If you look at Indara's padawan in the ship, it seems he has a scar on his eye (the same way in episode 2) but he didn't have it earlier

The Jedi and the sisters had a skirmish and Sol obviously lied to Osha and blamed it on May from what I can tell

I think Plagueis is still behind everything and thought the mother how to create the twins and it seems this was the trial phase for creating Anakin (Palpatine got the knowledge from somewhere)

Episode really highlights the authority of the Jedi as they break families apart to indoctrinate children more than anything
  • Ultra
    11602 posts Moderator
    Options
    How would he learn from them if they are dead? Why would the Jedi even consider taking these two girls as they are too old. This story is following TPM story way too much.

Its already been addressed earlier that they were too old to be trained in but Sol argued otherwise, just like Qui-Gon argued otherwise
  • LordDirt
    5171 posts Member
    Options

Its already been addressed earlier that they were too old to be trained in but Sol argued otherwise, just like Qui-Gon argued otherwise

Yet these two have attachment issues already. They just make these Jedi look so dumb in this show.
  • Options
    I think it's interesting to see things from the point of view of the oppressed.

I always wondered what the Jedi did with force users that didn't comply. I assumed they killed them, so they wouldn't turn evil.
  • Franke
    139 posts Member
    Options
    Franke wrote: »

Haven't seen the third episode yet, but

if you are referring to the second episode, Osha tried to use a stun gun on her sister, and May never tried to kill Osha

Also, Osha stated she's angry at May for killing her parents earlier in the episode and Sol warned her from letting revenge consume her, so its not that out of the blue for her wanting to kill her

Im reffering to ep 3 when they are young.
  • Options
    the end of the episode was confusing and i think they meant to create that effect, but it wasn't very well done. instead of a mystery (who killed everyone? mae?! why was there even any violence? are the jedi right to feel guilty? why? it's unlikely they killed everyone unprovoked. that would be... terrible) we have people taking what we know so far at face value. and i get why they feel that way, and a lot of questions are left unanswered, but!

i think there will be a twist and the explanation of what happened at the end will turn out to be something else entirely. i'd take any bets that there is some sith-manipulation at the heart of this (remember that one person during the ceremony? clothed differently, their face hidden? i wonder who that was. i also wonder who taught the witches how to create life "unnaturally" (which is clearly implied)? ultra has it right, i think, i fear this will tie into plagueis and someone is testing "something". ;) the old star wars problem - eveything has to be connected to something we already know. that would be exactly the opposite of what i was hoping for with this show. ah well...

apart from the ending this was the best episode yet, the coven and the story of the children was quite well done. could have used a bit more time, as usual, but what can you do? the writing was only soso, but acceptable.

the hooded stranger was obviously the one who took in mae after the climax and i am sure next episode we will find out who that is. and be the end of the series we will also find out what exactly happened at the end of the episode. i just hope they have a good explanation.

apart from some weak writing a pretty solid episode.
  • Options
    shlominus wrote: »
    the end of the episode was confusing and i think they meant to create that effect, but it wasn't very well done. instead of a mystery (who killed everyone? mae?! why was there even any violence? are the jedi right to feel guilty? why? it's unlikely they killed everyone unprovoked. that would be... terrible) we have people taking what we know so far at face value. and i get why they feel that way, and a lot of questions are left unanswered, but!

i think there will be a twist and the explanation of what happened at the end will turn out to be something else entirely. i'd take any bets that there is some sith-manipulation at the heart of this (remember that one person during the ceremony? clothed differently, their face hidden? i wonder who that was. i also wonder who taught the witches how to create life "unnaturally" (which is clearly implied)? ultra has it right, i think, i fear this will tie into plagueis and someone is testing "something". ;) the old star wars problem - eveything has to be connected to something we already know. that would be exactly the opposite of what i was hoping for with this show. ah well...

apart from the ending this was the best episode yet, the coven and the story of the children was quite well done. could have used a bit more time, as usual, but what can you do? the writing was only soso, but acceptable.

the hooded stranger was obviously the one who took in mae after the climax and i am sure next episode we will find out who that is. and be the end of the series we will also find out what exactly happened at the end of the episode. i just hope they have a good explanation.

apart from some weak writing a pretty solid episode.

The Jedi are clearly aware the witches are Force users when they saw the girls using the Force at the tree, they tested the girls on their ship to confirm and, more importantly, they watched the witches paralyze Torbin. All of this happened and nobody said "hey thats illegal force use and youre coming with us." Nope, they said "no worries we don't want any trouble we just want to test the kids." Presumably (we have to presume because the story leaves WAY too much out) the Jedi were OK with Mae staying behind to learn the force from the witches...if thats not the case then this leads to the Jedi deciding to kill everyone in cold blood? When has a Jedi EVER done anything like that? Literally, ever? These arent Jedi then, they're full on dark side murderers.

Why/How/When did they kill everyone and other than some random guilt Torbin has that leads to his suicide where did any of this lead to the Jedi doing something so bad that he killed himself?

Normally this could be explained as an unreliable narrator situation but the episode isnt told from a specfic persons point of view - its presented as a true flashback moment in time. Massive plot holes or just poor writing.
  • Options
    so you are obviously one of those people taking what we've seen so far at face value. :)
    i am sure we will find out things are not as they seem. it could be terrible writing, but i am quite sure it is not. what's bad is that they failed to make this an obvious mystery and instead presented it in a way that can easily lead to confusion.

my best guesses:
    1) there's a sith behind this who intentionally wants to harm the jedi, who used the situation to their advantage. (if so, that seems to have worked) that would be my first guess.
    2) during the ceremony mae swore on the coven leader's life. odd, isn't it? normally you would pledge your own life, and not someone else's. so what might have happened is that mae killed their "mother" (by mistake, maybe, unaware of her own power?) and becasue they are all linked somehow that killed everyone else. (though that would also kill herself as well. a weakness of this particular theory, i admit. ;) ). the jedi, becasue their involvement set all of this in motion, then felt guilty about the mass carnage? it wouldn't be the greatest explanation, but better than a jedi massacre imo.

i'm sure we will find out, but the fact that there is some mystery (however badly presented) we can speculate about is a strenght of the series. i don't think we've ever had anything like that in star wars before. at least not on the screen.
  • Ultra
    11602 posts Moderator
    Options
    OKAY GOOD

i'm not the only one who found it strange there was one hooded person in the background not participating in the ritual but nobody was pointing him out either

Not even the Jedi when they arrived

I really think they people overlooked him, and he's a sith lord
  • Options
    OKAY GOOD

i'm not the only one who found it strange there was one hooded person in the background not participating in the ritual but nobody was pointing him out either

If it was, It has to be Plagueis in my opinion. Only way to make to "timeline" line up correct from the starting text of the first episode. Plagueis would already be The Master, maybe the helmeted sith is a failed apprentice? But the series is roughly 30-50 years off from Sheev Palpatine being born

I personally have dropped my review on the show from a 6/10, to a 3/10. But plenty of epsiodes left to hopefully turn it around.
  • Options
    I was really hoping this series would've taken place further away from the events of the Star Wars we've all gotten in the movies. So the opening Text was somewhat disappointing to me.
  • Options
    OKAY GOOD

it's either the person behind the mystery, or just really odd. B)
  • Ultra
    11602 posts Moderator
    edited June 13
    Options
    OKAY GOOD

If it was, It has to be Plagueis in my opinion. Only way to make to "timeline" line up correct from the starting text of the first episode. Plagueis would already be The Master, maybe the helmeted sith is a failed apprentice? But the series is roughly 30-50 years off from Sheev Palpatine being born

I personally have dropped my review on the show from a 6/10, to a 3/10. But plenty of epsiodes left to hopefully turn it around.

is it canon that Sheev was born 50 years later?

I mean, with the force you can definitely age slowly, and he's been around from prequels to sequels, so i am expecting him to be a child around the time of acolyte, as the apprentice of Plagueis
    Post edited by Ultra on
  • Options
    Also whats up with the power of 1 and 2 thing?

Shes like "the power of 1" and then dominates the lady.
    Shes like "the power of 2" and then dominates two ladies.
  • Options
    So now we have another created conception using the Force to make Anakin’s story not so special.

Sheev created Anakin to destroy the Jedi. Probably even influenced Qui Gon to discover him with the bogus Chosen One prophecy. There's no need to go looking for a Chosen One when "the Sith have been extinct for a millennium." Ani was just a pawn... nothing special.

Wait… I thought Ani was an “immaculate conception via the Force” type situation… is the canon explanation that Sheev somehow caused it??
  • Ultra
    11602 posts Moderator
    edited June 13
    Options
    ItsNotMe wrote: »

Wait… I thought Ani was an “immaculate conception via the Force” type situation… is the canon explanation that Sheev somehow caused it??

yeah... a few years ago on a Star Wars comic written by Marvel

EDIT: I looked up and the writer on twitter clarified that palpatine didn't create anakin
  • shlominus
    33 posts Member
    edited June 13
    Options
    ItsNotMe wrote: »

that has been a widely held theory, yes. i think it might have been revealed in a comic as well? again, not sure if those are still canon.